50 and fabulous - A November, 2021 trip report - Updated 08-12-22 - FINISHED

Finally caught up - WOW what a rough few months you & Tony went through! I hope it is smooth sailing from here on out. I have worked in TCU settings and I know how hard extended stays can be on not just Tony but you as his partner as well.

P.S. I had several "Laugh out Loud" moments reading your TR- love your style & sense of humor! I can't wait to read up on your last park day!

I am so glad that Tony is getting better. What a scary time for the both of you.

Did you have your luggage transferred from POP to CBR? I am thinking about a split stay as well and trying to figure out the easiest way to get my luggage to CBR.

Magic Kingdom (again)
When we last left off, we had tucked ourselves into the Caribbean Beach Resort for our very first slumber in a moderate resort. While the bed was comfortable, I just couldn't sleep well. This was the theme for the entire trip and the lack of sleep was catching up with me. Our plan that day was to revisit Magic Kingdom since our holiday party was a wash out and I just could not have a Disney trip without time in the Magic Kingdom. And as a bonus, my very best friend lives part-time about 45 minutes from Orlando, so she was going to meet up with us for a day of magic.

We got ready and headed out to the long walk towards the busses. I was also hoping that our last park day would be warm and bright and sunny.

That would be a strong no.

Hey Mother Nature - if you've been reading previous trip reports, you can see that I have apologized over and over again for whatever evils I have bestowed upon you so that you make it rain buckets every time we go to Disney. Once again, please accept my apology for whatever it was that I did to offend you.

So we grabbed our rainy day gear and hopped on a bus to Magic Kingdom. This took forever. We weren't in any real hurry but it took a good 45 minutes for a MK bus to pick us up. We finally got dropped off and it took no time for me to drag Tony to a photo pass photographer.

Disney 141.jpg

It was cloudy and chilly so Tony was modeling his sherpa lined hoodie that he had bought earlier in the trip.

Disney 144.jpg

Loved this magic shot.

We grabbed some hot chocolate from Starbucks and saw that a cavalcade was coming down Main Street.

Disney 153.jpg

Disney 154.jpg

We decided that we wanted to head towards Tomorrowland first. We did Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor and Carousel of Progress and went to Cosmic Ray's for lunch. We did the mobile ordering and Tony found us a seat right in front of the entertainment.

Disney 151.jpg

If I remember correctly, I got a salad and Tony had a burger. Nothing fabulous, but it gave us time to allow the rain to stop and for Dena to get to us. Tony needed a buddy to ride some coasters with and that was most definitely not me. Welcome to my friend Dena - also known as Tony's "vacation wife". He also has an "adventure wife" which is my friend Elizabeth who will go on crazy sling shot and bungee cord rides with him. How is it that he has three wives???

Disney 149.jpg

He's so spoiled.

Up next - more rides and how did Tony get lost going to the bathroom?

#50andfabulous

Glad to see a new update! Sorry your HS day was underwhelming. Maybe next trip you'll only plan a 1/2 day or skip it altogether? We've never stayed at CBR but it looks lovely. Glad you were happy with your room. The dinner menu items sound very good. I'm with Tony - I would go for any bread pudding even one with pineapple!

I hope the health situation for both of you is continuing to improve. You really had the double whammy. Covid is no joke. As far as I know either me or my DH has had it. Not sure how we've managed to avoid it. Prayers go out to you and Tony.

I just don't think HS is meant to be for us. I love all the Toy Story stuff but it just hasn't been a good experience the past two visits. Tony's health is improving every day. Yes COVID was no joke. I felt bad for three solid weeks and I've been vaccinated. I'm just thankful there were no long lasting effects.

Finally caught up - WOW what a rough few months you & Tony went through! I hope it is smooth sailing from here on out. I have worked in TCU settings and I know how hard extended stays can be on not just Tony but you as his partner as well.

P.S. I had several "Laugh out Loud" moments reading your TR- love your style & sense of humor! I can't wait to read up on your last park day!

I'm glad I still have some readers after all these delays. I've never taken this long to write a trip report before. Tony is getting better and those long nights in the hospital were no fun at all. Thankfully I didn't stay every night but would only go home long enough to shower, sleep a few hours and then just go right back.

Thanks for laughing at our craziness. This is how our life is most days.

I am so glad that Tony is getting better. What a scary time for the both of you.

Did you have your luggage transferred from POP to CBR? I am thinking about a split stay as well and trying to figure out the easiest way to get my luggage to CBR.

It was super easy to have our luggage moved over. We called the bell services folks and told them where we were headed and they took care of it. Once we got to CBR we called bell services and they brought the luggage to our room. Easy peasy!

I'm glad to hear Tony is improving. If it weren't for my grandkids, HS would be a half day park for us. When we were there we had 2 days planned. Everything kept breaking down and everyone was going to Rock 'n Roller on our second day. We were there about 2 hours and left. It was just nuts. We're not big Star Wars fans and now that we've ridden them they're not must do rides, at least for my husband and I. We rent a house but like to try out a resort for a couple days. Our last trip we stayed at Coronado. We used to do it to get the benefits, but now there aren't many. Since it was Christmas we got early entry for an hour instead of the half hour they do now. Really not worth it anymore. Looking forward to hearing about the last day of your trip.

Glad to see another update! How fun your friend could join you in MK. Sorry the weather Gods weren't smiling down on you - again. Hope you were able to push past the weather and lack of sleep. Love the magic shot - I think it's frame worthy. You found some fun indoor attractions - hope to read that the weather improved for you....

More Magic Kingdom . . .
When we last left off, Dena had met up with us and the newly formed "Three Amigos" were taking the Magic Kingdom by storm. Well, really not that eager, but Tony had someone to ride the coasters with and although in Kentucky, Dena and I live about an hour from each other but had to travel all the way to Florida to hang out for the day. Yep, life is that busy.

The first order of business for Tony and Dena was Big Thunder Mountain. I had no interest in riding that ride - or any coaster for that matter - so I sent them on their way and went on the hunt for cavalcades. I hit the princess jackpot!

Disney 155.jpg

Disney 156.jpg

Disney 157.jpg

Disney 158.jpg

While I was watching the parade, I got this picture.

Disney 160.jpg

Live from Big Thunder. As long as everyone is having fun. After roller coaster fun, we did some more things that old lady Ruthie enjoys - Country Bear Jamboree and Hall of Presidents. After this, Dena and I decided we wanted to do some shopping. Tony had to stop and use the bathroom and said that he would meet us at the Emporium. I pointed him in the right direction of the Tangled area and told him where we would be. After about 30 minutes, my phone rang and it was Tony. I clearly hadn't given him any thought or wondered why it took him so long to pee. Come to find out, Tony had gotten himself turned around and had no idea where he was.

Yes my friends, this is my real life. After I got done laughing, I asked Tony what he was looking at. He said the castle. Okay, I'm going to need a little more specifics because you can see the castle from anywhere in the park. Then it occurred to me that I had a locater app on my phone and he was knee deep in Fantasy Land. Turn right honey. Go thru the castle. Go down Main Street. We're shopping. He finally found us and was more upset that he missed quality shopping time than he was lost. I guess Dena and I felt sorry for him because we let him spend even more money than was originally budgeted. Have I mentioned he's spoiled?!?!?!

Disney 163.jpg

I would be lost without my person!

Up next - food and fireworks!

#50andfabulous

I'm glad to hear Tony is improving. If it weren't for my grandkids, HS would be a half day park for us. When we were there we had 2 days planned. Everything kept breaking down and everyone was going to Rock 'n Roller on our second day. We were there about 2 hours and left. It was just nuts. We're not big Star Wars fans and now that we've ridden them they're not must do rides, at least for my husband and I. We rent a house but like to try out a resort for a couple days. Our last trip we stayed at Coronado. We used to do it to get the benefits, but now there aren't many. Since it was Christmas we got early entry for an hour instead of the half hour they do now. Really not worth it anymore. Looking forward to hearing about the last day of your trip.

I just don't think Hollywood Studios is worth a full day for us. It's not even the weather issues, but if you're not a Star Wars person (which I'm not) it doesn't have much to offer. Of course I may change my mind when we are planning our next trip. But that's another story entirely! Yes I'm planning and it will be an adventure! Just posted more of our last day.

Glad to see another update! How fun your friend could join you in MK. Sorry the weather Gods weren't smiling down on you - again. Hope you were able to push past the weather and lack of sleep. Love the magic shot - I think it's frame worthy. You found some fun indoor attractions - hope to read that the weather improved for you....

It was so great that Dena met up with us. It made the last day so much fun for all of us. Tony needed a roller coaster buddy.

Magic Kingdom - continued . . .
When we last left off, Tony was a lost child - oh I mean adult - and we had done the last bit of shopping our budget would allow for. If I ever win the lottery, I would buy so much Disney stuff it would be ridiculous. For now, I just buy little things here and there. I did get a super cute blanket with Mickey heads on it. Dena got a matching one. Yes, we're those people. After shopping, we realized that our tummies were grumbling and something had to be done about that. We wanted to get away from Main Street since that was where the crowds were starting to gather, so we decided to head over to Columbia Harbor House.

CHH.jpg

We decided to do mobile ordering (which I love) and it took no time to get over there and our food was ready. Dena ordered the "Grilled Salmon with Couscous and Broccoli". Tony got the "Lobster Roll with potato chips" and I got the "Battered Fish Plate with coleslaw and french fries". All of these meals were delicious and we shared and eat everyone's food. The servings were huge and even after we all ate there was a lot left over. Something to remember next time - order less and share the food.

While we were eating we heard the fireworks show start, so we wandered outside to watch. The view from CHH is not the best to see the projection show but the fireworks were shining brightly in the sky.

Disney 165.jpg

Disney 167.jpg

Disney 168.jpg

After we watched the fireworks (I'm still team HEA), we took a slow walk towards the front of the park. I knew this was the end of our trip and I just wanted to savor the last little bit of magic. We first had to stop at the prettiest bathrooms in the park.

Disney 164.jpg

They weren't doing the lantern photo pass pictures. I really want those. Maybe next time.

And then there was an attempt of a selfie in front of the castle. The lines for the PP pictures were LONG, so Dena and I decided to just try and grab a selfie.

Disney 162.jpg

That's my new blankie - it had gotten cold. Apparently it was impossible to take this selfie without random people walking by. After about five attempts (seriously) we kept this one since we looked great and random dude was a new member of the family.

I said goodbye and see you real soon to the castle.

Disney 173.jpg

And before we knew it, we had passed the gates and Dena was headed to the parking lot to find her car. Funny story - we had gotten on the bus and back to the resort and she was still fighting traffic just to get back on the interstate. Onsite lodging for the win. I had to take one more picture before we got to the busses.

Disney 172.jpg

Thanks Mickey and Minnie - we had a great trip.

We boarded the bus and headed back to the resort. It had gotten chilly, so we didn't linger going back to our room. We got the last few things packed up and situated so that getting up and going the next morning would be as easy as possible.

Up next - packing up, heading home and what I will do and won't do on the next trip. Oh, and when will our next trip be???

#50andfabulous

A great end to your trip! Nice you could just enjoy the fireworks and not fight the throng of people. I love CHH - yum. Until next time - anxious to hear your thoughts on your next trip and when it will be!

Looks like you had a wonderful last day with your friend! I would take cool over hot any day, as long as it wasn't raining. I am always surprised to see so many people in hoodies when it feels great to me. We're from Minnesota. I don't have any plans for another trip right now. We had thought about a trip just driving through some southern states, but even with gas coming down it was just too expensive. Maybe next year. I will watch for your plans for another trip.

Time to go home
When we last left off, we had gone back to Caribbean Beach for our last night on vacation. It was another restless nights sleep for me. I don't know what my issue was on this trip, but there was not one good solid night of sleep. Tony, on the other hand, slept like a baby and I could have had the Festival of Fantasy parade come thru our room and he would keep on snoring.

But anyway . . .

Before we left the room, we had to have our traditional sad pouty face picture.

Disney 174.jpg

That morning required a lot of moving parts. If you remember, our van was still at POP Century and that was where we were meeting the folks from Buena Vista Scooters to drop off our ECV's. We contacted the luggage folks and asked them to pick up and store our luggage. That was a fairly quick process. We went over to the flying tin of death at Saratoga Springs (it was the closer hop on/off spot), grabbed a ride to the hub area and another last ride over to POP. I think Tony was thrilled that our last official Disney transportation was that thing. We went to the front of the resort and while Tony got the van, I met up with the scooter people who were already there waiting for us. We were a bit late, but this process took more time than I had allowed. We weren't super late - maybe 15 minutes - but I know these folks have a schedule, and I hate being late. After leaving the ECV's, we drove over to CBR and picked up our luggage. And then it was time to go home. Tony and I already decided we were going to drive straight home. I drove for the first few hours and just was so tired and miserable that I let Tony drive the rest of the way.

There was almost one time we almost kind of died. And it wasn't even completely his fault. It had gotten dark and we had pulled off for a potty/stretch/find food stop. We wanted to turn left getting off the exit and the signage was bad and apparently this was a roundabout situation. So we sort of went into oncoming traffic - but just for a hot second. That was a crazy layout! But besides that incident, about 15 hours later we finally arrived back at our old Kentucky home. We brought in just the really important stuff and immediately crashed. It was a long drive home. I tried to stay awake as much as I could on the drive, but I was exhausted. The good thing was that I was off work for the entire next week. Gave me time to do laundry and recover.

And in traditional Ruthie trip report style, here is my list of what I will do and won't do for our next trip.

What we will do

• Rent ECV's for both of us. We have continued to do this for all of our trips and will do so in the future. Do not be scared if you need an ECV. Nobody cares what other people think. My trip. My money. My comfort. Just do you boo boo!
  • Photo pass share. Even though I drag Tony to every PP photographer I can, it's not worth the full price. A share is the way to go.
  • Stay at POP Century. CBR is a beautiful resort, but I just don't think that moderate/deluxe resorts are for us. POP is not quite a value but I love the theming. And (don't tell Tony) traveling on the flying tin of death is so much faster than the busses, and by the end of the trip, I didn't even mind it so much. Except the abrupt stops. There has to be a way to manage that better.
  • Go back for another EPCOT festival. We enjoyed the Food and Wine Festival and could have easily spent another full day exploring all the booths.
  • But I'm also glad we spent our last day at Magic Kingdom instead of going back to EPCOT. Having Dena with us made the day fantastic.

What we won't do
  • Split stays. It's not for us. With the ECV's and luggage and vehicles it was just too much. I know there are some people who love split stays to experience different resorts but we really liked POP and will go back there again.
  • Holiday party. And I say this with a maybe. If it hadn't rained, it would have been fabulous. No crowds. The parade. Fireworks. All the amazing things. But it rained and we were miserable and as much as I would like, I cannot control the weather. Why do you hate us mother nature? And they need to do something about the snacks. The stale popcorn was not yummy.
  • Give a full day to Hollywood Studios. It's not worth it to us. I'm thinking half day and then maybe swimming or Disney Springs?

And what's next for us? We had Tony not gotten sick, we would have already been there as we had planned to go back over July 4th week. Obviously that never happened. It wasn't meant to be. He is home and getting better every day and that's better than any vacation on the planet. But we do have plans. My brother retired from the Army last year and I retire from state government next summer (OMG) so there will be an all you can handle Stegman-Kellogg extended family blow out vacation. This will be Tony and I, my brother and his wife, their two adult sons (who I love more than anything) and their respective girlfriends. This madness will take place sometimes next fall. Nothing is definite, other than I've already told David that we need to stay at POP Century. They all want to spend a couple of days at Universal, which I have no interest in and we want to all go to Sea World, so there will be a lot of moving parts. But I'm a planner and cannot wait to start making reservations. I'd say by the beginning of the year we will have things settled. David and I haven't gone to Disney together in about 13 years and rarely see each other (they lived in New York and moved to Virginia after he retired) so this should be a fun adventure.

Thanks to everyone who read along with me and hung in there thru the sickness. I can't believe this trip was nine months ago. A lot of craziness has happened since then. Turning 50 with Disney was really cool and I'm glad we went. Gotta think of a new hashtag for the next trip. Until next time friends!

Ruthie

#50andfabulous

A great end to your trip! Nice you could just enjoy the fireworks and not fight the throng of people. I love CHH - yum. Until next time - anxious to hear your thoughts on your next trip and when it will be!

Thanks for hanging in there with me. This was a very delayed trip report. I'm glad we went back to MK for our last day. CHH is so yummy and that part of the park was very isolated for fireworks.

Looks like you had a wonderful last day with your friend! I would take cool over hot any day, as long as it wasn't raining. I am always surprised to see so many people in hoodies when it feels great to me. We're from Minnesota. I don't have any plans for another trip right now. We had thought about a trip just driving through some southern states, but even with gas coming down it was just too expensive. Maybe next year. I will watch for your plans for another trip.

We did have a wonderful last day. Thanks for continuing to read and reply! I'm normally fine in cooler weather but the cool/rain combination weather is more than I can handle. I just put up my last post with our upcoming plans. It'll be fun!

Happy that Tony is on the mend. You will be back to WDW soon I'm sure. I enjoyed reading your trip and now I'm even more excited for our upcoming trip.

So glad that Tony is on the mend and you are planning your next vacation. 😀. My next trip is in September (peak hurricane season) and I was wondering how you kept your ECV dry in all the rain you experienced?

I enjoyed your TR! I'm so sorry for the scary issues you've been dealing with this summer. I'm glad to hear Tony is recovering. ❤ Glad you have another trip on the horizon!

Glad that you finished your trip report. Will look forward to your next one.

I always feel a little sad when I finish a trip report. But it's been such a crazy year that I'm glad to be looking forward to bigger and better adventures!

Happy that Tony is on the mend. You will be back to WDW soon I'm sure. I enjoyed reading your trip and now I'm even more excited for our upcoming trip.

Thanks so much. He's getting better every day and we're eyeballing next fall/early winter for our next family-palooza trip!

So glad that Tony is on the mend and you are planning your next vacation. 😀. My next trip is in September (peak hurricane season) and I was wondering how you kept your ECV dry in all the rain you experienced?

The ECV company provided us with a shower cap looking thing to cover the main electrical part of the ECV. When it was parked, you can lower the back of the seat to try and keep the water off of the seat. Just be prepared to be soggy no matter what you do. I've travelled in hurricane season before. Bring extra shoes with you!

I enjoyed your TR! I'm so sorry for the scary issues you've been dealing with this summer. I'm glad to hear Tony is recovering. ❤ Glad you have another trip on the horizon!

Yes, Tony is getting better every day. We are very lucky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter