5 magical nights aboard the Disney Magic

browns3030

Earning My Ears
This was my first ever cruise! As well as this will be my first ever cruise trip report! I hope you enjoy it!!

Pre-cruise details

I love Disney! Then again, who doesn't, right?? We have visited Disney World 5 times since 2009. The last time in May of this year. We had been talking about going on a cruise for a long time now, it just was never the right time. I was able to find a great rate, but sail date was only 27 days away. I debated and debated, and finally decided to book our cruise!! My husband is retired from the Army, so we are able to take advantage of the great military rates that Disneyhas to offer. We love the way Disney takes care of our military members, past and present!

Here are the trip specifics:

Ship: Disney Magic
Sail dates: Fri Nov 1- Wed Nov 6
Sailing from: Miami
Stateroom: Deluxe Oceanview stateroom with Verandah
Room # 7578

Day One: Miami
Day Two: At sea
Day Three: Grand Cayman
Day Four: Cozumel
Day Five: At sea

On this cruise:
Me (40)
DH (41)
DS Adam (13)
DS Nathan (9)
We also have an older, 18 yr old son. He decided to stay home because, after all, a week at home alone is much more fun then 5 nights on a ship with his brothers!! He is also in his freshman year of college, and did not want to miss to many classes.

This would be the Magic's 3rd sailing since her dry dock transformation. We were so very excited to see the ship and experience Disney on a whole new level!!

Looking forward to your trip report. We are trying to decide between sailing on the Dream or Magic. We rebooked on the Dream but now thinking about moving the trip up & we have the option moving from the Dream to the Magic. Loved the Dream but can't find out much info on the Magic. We have three boys. Oldest is 13 - wondering if he will enjoy the teen or tween clubs on the Magic since they were not updated.

We are sailing on the Magic in May with a 13 year old and an 8 year old. Anxious to hear your report.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Day 2- Friday Nov 1st

We've got the Magic in us!!

Who can sleep in when you know where you are going today??!! Not me!! We were up and at 'em bright and early today. The anticipation was killing us!! DH had an early flight out of Jacksonville, arriving in Ft Lauderdale at 9:10 am. He would grab the hotel shuttle and meet us in our room. We were in the mist of repacking our bags and such when he arrived. I finished packing, and laid out the cruise documents that he had to sign. I like to think that I am a very organized person. Maybe a little to organized at times. This comes into
play twice this morning.

#1- I was not prepared for how much stuff you need to pack for a cruise!! When we go to Disney World, I pack much lighter. If I forget something, we run to the store and buy it. Not so on a cruise!! There is no where to "run and buy it"! With that being said, I did everything I could yesterday to just shove everything in my suitcases. My packing was very unorganized, in turn
making me feel a little bit uneasy. That is why I was more than glad to be able to reorganize the bags before heading to port! We also removed our airline luggage tags and attached our DCL tags. It was almost time!!

#2- With my organizational need, and just pure excitement of going on a cruise, I made sure to order copies of DH and my birth certificates super early in order to make sure they arrived in plenty of time. None of us have passports, and with having booked only 27 days in advance, there was no time to get them. SO, birth certificates it would be. The DAY our cruise documents arrived from Disney I made sure to gather all of the necessasry documents and put them in the folder. I also made copies the day we were leaving and put them in a seperate spot from the folder in case anything was lost. While finishing up at the hotel this morning, I told DH that he needed to still sign the cruise contract. He pulled out all of the documents, started looking throught them, and then stopped me dead in my tracks. He had asked my why I had my older sons birth certificate with me???!! The older son who had stayed at home!! Turns out Mrs. Super Organized brought one of the wrong birth certificates!! I brought son #1's but NOT son #2's!!! I about fell over!! Luckily, DCL accepts copies of birth certificates, especially for children. SO, with hands shaking, I called son #1 at home, had him scan and email copy of son #2's BC, went to the business center at the hotel, and printed out a copy. Crisis averted!!!! Thank goodness!!

With said crisis behind us, we called Ken and told him we were ready to head to Miami! We were given a port check in time of 12:30-1:00 PM. Hotel
check out time was 11:00 AM, so we had a little bit of time to kill. Ken suggested we try out a nearby Colombian restaurant. Now that our bellies were full, we headed out towards Port of Miami. We arrived a little bit after our 1:00 PM arrival time. We exited the car, and there she was!! The Disney Magic!! How exciting!

We made our way into the port, cleared all of the necessasary security check points and arrived in the registration area. Here, after waiting in a rather short line, we were handed our Key to the World card and assigned a boarding number. Turns out our boarding number had already been called, so we were able to head right aboard. As we went up the escalator, I had to keep myself from running!! We went through the final checkpoint, and were welcomed aboard. We entered through the Deck 4 gangway. The next thing we heard was "Disney Magic, please welcome the Brown Family aboard!" It was finally here, and we were ecstatic!

The staterooms were already available, so we set off to find ours. We were on Deck 7, starboard side room #7578. We entered our room, and I went straight for our verandah! I could quickly tell that this would become one of my favorite places on the cruise!! After dropping our day bag, we set off to explore the ship. We went up to decks 9 and 10. We explored the pool area, sports area, and found the soda station. I love that soda is included on Disney cruises. If not, I could see soda quickly becoming a huge expense!! At 4:30 PM we made our way to deck 9 to enjoy the Adventures Away deck party. This is an exciting send off party with all of the characters. It is very fun, and really gets you in the vacation mood! After 30 mins of singing and dancing, the countdown began. 3, 2, 1 and with that, the Disney Magic sounded her horn- When you wish upon a star- and vacation was officially under way. Turns out, so were we. We had made our way back to our cabin to get ready for dinnner. We had the early seating- 5:45. When we entered the room, I made the comment that I felt like we were moving much more in the room. Went over to the verandah and- guess what?? We were moving!!

With a quick freshen up, and clothes changed, we made our way to our first dinner. Tonight we would be eating at Carioca's. It is a brazilian themed restaurant, but tonight, the menu was not the normal menu, but rather
the Let the Magic Begin menu. We were shown to our table, table #29- one of the best seats in the house! We had a starboard side, sea view! Gorgeous view!! We were soon
greeted by our serving team. Cyprian from India was our head server, and Antonio from Portugal would be our assistant server. A few minutes after we arrived, our tablemates arrived. A really nice family of 4 from Lakeland, Florida.
Dinner was amazing!! So many great choices! I think all 4 of us had the NY strip steak that night. Followed by an amazing dessert. Now stuffed, we decided to skip the show tonight. We decided to go up to deck 9 and see what was going on by the pool. Turns out, that deck 9 is very deserted at night after dinner! We let the boys go change and they swam while watching Cars on the big screen. DH and I enjoyed a cocktail while relaxing and breathing in the fresh sea air.

Soon, we all felt the sheer exhaustion of the day and decided to head to bed. We opened the door to our stateroom to find that our stateroom host had turned down the beds for us. She left us our Personal Navigator for the next day on our bed, along with our first "friend"- our towel puppy!! He was wearing my sunglasses! I was very curious how it would be sleeping while the boat was rocking. The sea was very smooth so far, so turns out it was a pretty calming, relaxing feeling.

Day 3- Do you sea what I sea.....

Saturday Nov 2nd

Do you sea what I sea…

Today would be our day at sea. Nothing but ocean today. For miles and miles..ocean. We did see Cuba off to the port side this morning. That was cool!
We were up and ready to go fairly late today. All of the excitement and travel yesterday tired us out a little, I guess. We headed up to Cabanas for a late buffet breakfast. This was our first meal at Cabanas, and it did not disappoint! So many choices!! And, so yummy!

After breakfast, we encouraged the boys to go to their clubs and have some fun. Nathan, our 9 yr old, was all for it. He wanted to play the games in the Oceaneers Lab. He loved being able to navigate the Magic all on his own at the Navigation Game Station. Being 9 yrs old, we were informed that he was old enough to check himself in and out of the Oceaneers Club. He was unsure of how to get there yet, so we took him and dropped him off. We then tried to get Adam, our 13 yr old to go to his club. He was much more hesitant. He is not the most outgoing kid, therefore, I think he was a bit nervous not knowing anyone. Had the boys been able to go to one of the clubs together, I think he would have been much more excited about spending time there. That is the one thing I wish was a bit flexible. The teen club, Edge, where the video games are, is only for ages 13-17. I know that my 9 yr old would love to be able to go with his brother and play some xbox or playstation. It would have given them a much better alternative then having to go to the arcade to play (and pay for) games. Anyhow, Adam did stay and play games for a while. This would be the only time on the whole cruise that he did!! With both boys at their clubs, we decided to go explore the ship a bit.

After wandering for a while, we were feeling hungry. We gathered the boys from the clubs and were headed up to deck 9 to grab a piece of pizza or burger for lunch. We arrived on Deck 9 and walked back to the fast food area. We were walking, and looking at the plates of food people were bringing out of Cabanas. Shrimp, crab claws, steak, etc.. We quickly changed our minds and headed straight into Cabanas for lunch.

After lunch, we wanted to relax and soak up some sun in the adult pool area. We all went and changed. The boys went to the main, Goofy pool area while we found 2 lounge chairs in the Cove pool area. Here we enjoyed the pool for a little while, then melted our stress away in the hot tub. We had a great time, meeting and talking with many people. In the meantime, on the other side of the deck, the boys were enjoying the pool, and trying out the new waterslide, The AquaDunk. Adam rode it a few times, while Nathan was just getting started! He would ride this waterslide upwards of 50-60 times on the cruise! He loved it, to say the least!

The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing, eating ice cream, wandering, and eating ice cream. Gotta love the soft serve ice cream machine!! About 5:00 pm we made our way back to our cabin to get ready for dinner. Tonight we would be eating at Lumiere’s. Lumiere’s is the French inspired restaurant. We arrived tonight and were led to our table, again, one of the best views in the house. While we were enjoying our meal, we looked out the window and saw dolphins!! Little, baby dolphins jumping out of the water!! It was the highlight of the day! And, the only time we saw dolphins jumping the entire cruise. Another successful dinner over, we left the restaurant.

Nathan had wanted to try the AquaDunk in the dark, so we all, once again, changed into our swim attire and headed up to deck 9. Did I mention earlier that deck 9 is virtually deserted during dinner and show time? This became our favorite time to visit the pool area. Tonight they were showing Cars on the FunnelVision. The boys watched the movie from the pool, and we watched it from the hot tub. Nathan rode the AquaDunk another handful of times until he could no longer climb the stairs. We ate a little more ice cream. It was a wonderful evening! Warm, but breezy. Not crowded. Perfect! It did start to get more crowded once the shows were over for the night, so that was our cue to head out. We made our way back to our stateroom. Got ready things ready for Grand Cayman in the morning, then finished out the night enjoying the breeze on our verandah.

Day 4…Gonna be a grand day in Grand Cayman

Is there an edge and vibe for Tweens and teens, or just one club?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Enjoying this trip report and looking forward to any shore excusions you will be having.

Cheers!

Lisa

Great report! Can't wait to hear more!

Do you happen to have pictures of the pizza/fast food stations? I am interested to see how much they changed.

Our family of 13 will be traveling on the Magic Thanksgiving week. I have loved reading your post and look forward to the rest of your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter