5 in a room

MalkaR

Mouseketeer
I saw that there are cabins that can fit 5 people. Is it a better idea to get two smaller cabins or the one that holds 5? Has anyone here ever put 5 people in a room?

Yes, when our kids were younger we would get the verandah cabin that held five. When they were teens we opted for two ocean view cabins so that we had more overall room, twice the bathrooms and we would not wake them in the am when we headed out and vice versa when they were coming in late from the teen club. Worked out much better for us all that way.

MJ

I think with younger kids a family stateroom that sleeps 5 is awesome. We have not had one on Disney, but did on another cruise line. Now that our family has 2 teens we prefer 2 staterooms. FWIW, we get 2 hotel rooms for land travel as well. We like having more space and having 2 bathrooms plus DH and I prefer having some privacy.

We are a family of 5 that stayed in the 5-person family oceanview room on the Dream and it was tons of space. They two bathrooms (shower and sink in one, sink and toilet in the other), which really makes getting ready easier. And we only used maybe one third of the available storage space for our belongings. I couldn't believe how spacious it was.

We have done it several times. We do it if we are on an itinerary that we want a verandah, like Alaska or Europe. If we are just doing the Caribbean out of Galveston, we will spring for 2 connecting inside cabins if it's cheaper. Either works fine.

We are a family of 5 that stayed in the 5-person family oceanview room on the Dream and it was tons of space. They two bathrooms (shower and sink in one, sink and toilet in the other), which really makes getting ready easier. And we only used maybe one third of the available storage space for our belongings. I couldn't believe how spacious it was.

Split bathrooms are a big plus on DCL (plus a few other newer ships on other lines) but we really need 2 showers or there is no hope of getting us out the door in the morning on a port day or to dinner on time.

It depends on the size of the people. You have the queen bed, the sofa that turns into a twin, the pull down above the sofa and a murphy bed that goes down in front of the window/veranda. Assuming you have 3 little kids the room is fine. If you are trying to get full size people into those beds, I would go with 2 rooms. With all of those full size people in one room it gets really tight.

I'm part of a family of five that stayed in one room, and considering that three of us are teenagers and are only using the room to shower and sleep, it wasn't much of a problem. Our room had a couch bed, a bed that folded down from the ceiling, and a Murphy bed, plus the queen. It worked for our family.

We let price dictate whether we get 1 room or 2 connecting rooms. On the Magic and Wonder it has always been cheaper to get the connecting rooms. On the Dream and Fantasy one room that sleeps all 5 of us has been cheaper. There are pluses and minuses either way, so that’s why we let price decide!

My sister's family did the four of them plus my mother in one 5 person room and it worked OK. The fifth bed does block the veranda access a bit, but it can be gotten around, plus the 5th bed is away during the day.

Also, the adults are free to use the showers in the locker room by the exercise room. There are free lockers there for your stuff and much bigger shower stalls than in the rooms. Bigger, brighter sinks and counters too. My wife and I took turns going up there to shower. Just took a little bag with our clothes etc in them. You might think the extra trip would be a pain, but actually we both quickly came to prefer it up there. So much more room and surprisingly empty most of the time. The other one had to fight our teen-aged sons for access to the bathroom.

7 cruises down with 6 in a cat4 (5 person with a veranda) or one time in a cat 8 (5 person with the large porthole). We don't hang out in the room except to sleep, shower & change, so it's not an inconvenience. The privacy screen helps for dressing times (boys on one side, girls on the other with mom popping back and forth :))

Enjoy your cruise!

It was perfect for our family of 5. Deluxe Family with verandah. 10 year old on top bunk, 6 year old on lower bunk and 2 year old in pack n play (set up in front of the murphy bed). Next year we will get same room and use the murphy bed. We have all boys and there is no modesty in our family yet:) I could see it getting tight when my boys are teens and everyone wants more privacy.

We did 5 adults in a verandah room in May on the Fantasy 7 nights. For us it worked just fine. People are doing their own things so staggering showers was never an issue. I did take my showers in the locker room after work outs, so that helped too. If you get along well with the other 4, and you are all organized enough so that you do not have clothes laying all over the place, and no one snores really loud, it can be just fine. We packed heavy, 8 bags for the 5 of us, and storage was never an issue, including our case of water, and snorkeling gear.

We have done it several times. We do it if we are on an itinerary that we want a verandah, like Alaska or Europe. If we are just doing the Caribbean out of Galveston, we will spring for 2 connecting inside cabins if it's cheaper. Either works fine.

This is our exact strategy too!

We have a deluxe verandah booked for our family of 5. (Kids are 15, 12, and 9. One adult sized kid and two kid-sized kids). Getting two rooms was much more expensive for that cruise. Our cruise is just a 4 night so I figure we can handle it. We have a cruise on a different line scheduled over Christmas and that one is an 8 night cruise. Two rooms was cheaper that time and I think we are really going to want to extra space for a cruise that long any way.

All 5 of us in ne room would not be relaxing for me at all. The kids get up early and their stuff is everywhere. When they were little, we would put them to sleep and leave the adjoining door cracked. I know people will say that they can pull the curtain shut, but then you can’t watch TV or have grown up alone time. Now that they are teenagers and stay out until very late, they are in an inside cabin across the hall and they don’t wake me up.

I saw that there are cabins that can fit 5 people. Is it a better idea to get two smaller cabins or the one that holds 5? Has anyone here ever put 5 people in a room?

We did it in February and it worked out very well. We have a 12 year old, 7 year old, and 3 year old. Our older son had the fold down Murphy bed, the 7 year old had the bunk in the ceiling, and the 3 year old got the couch. I was surprised at how efficient the use of space was. We thought about doing two cabins, but our kids are still pretty young. I was very pleased with being able to do one stateroom for the five of us.

All 5 of us in ne room would not be relaxing for me at all. The kids get up early and their stuff is everywhere. When they were little, we would put them to sleep and leave the adjoining door cracked. I know people will say that they can pull the curtain shut, but then you can’t watch TV or have grown up alone time. Now that they are teenagers and stay out until very late, they are in an inside cabin across the hall and they don’t wake me up.

I like your style! LOL If I could afford to get my girls their own room and have the room to myself I would. :D

We let price dictate whether we get 1 room or 2 connecting rooms. On the Magic and Wonder it has always been cheaper to get the connecting rooms. On the Dream and Fantasy one room that sleeps all 5 of us has been cheaper. There are pluses and minuses either way, so that’s why we let price decide!

Thank you for posting this. We are considering booking another trip when we go on our cruise next week, but I was confused seeing a huge price increase for 2 connecting rooms on the Fantasy when I had heard it would be cheaper. In the end it will depend on how the discount shakes out on which ship/trip to book while onboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter