• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5 hours to waste before boarding plane in orlando, have car, any suggestions?

lisagirl88

Mouseketeer
AirTran has changed our reservations again and we decided we did not want to have to hurry to make an 11:19 flight. We now have a 5:05 flight so we have some time to spare before we have to be at the airport. We have a rental car for the day so does anyone have suggestions for where to spend our extra 5 hours. Our travel party includes myself, DH and two DS's ages 5 and 3. Thanks!!!

I'd spend a few hours at DTD. Have a nice lunch, a trip to Goofy's to get some snacks for the plane and then to the airport with enough time to get there without feeling rushed, but not so much that you are going stir crazy.

I am a newbie also, but like you our flight doesnt leave until 5:45pm
So we are going to try and spend a couple of hours at Kennedy Space center.
I know we wont see all of it, but my DH will enjoy it.
Lisa

You can always get rid of the rental car and get some rest by getting a day room at the Hyatt:thumbsup2

Rob

We always go to Downtown Disney as well. Have a quick bite to eat at McDonald's, head to the Premium outlet stores and then off to the airport. Seems like tradition for us now.

Downtown Disney is a good idea for a few hours, but when we have most of the day, we like to go to one of the water parks - Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon. We usually end up at Beaches & Cream for a meal before our flight.:thumbsup2

These are all great suggestions!!! I saw that DTD has a Lego shop. DS's are super into Legos so that may have to be a stop for us. Thanks for the great info and if there are any other suggestions keep em coming.............

We like to play a couple of round of minigolf at Fantasia minigolf, then have a leisurely lunch somewhere, and walk around the Boardwalk or DTD.

We rented a car and went to the Kennedy Space Center for the better part of the day and made it to the airport for a 5:30 PM flight.

I would think DTD would be a good idea. Just know your times and keep an eye on the clock. DTD is about 30 minutes beyond the airport, so that would be an hour there and back. Don't forget that you need time to return the rental car and get through security at the airport.
Also remember that your luggage might have already been checked in for you, so if you plan on buying a lot at DTD make sure you have a place to put it.

Our flight leaves at 2:10 the day we get back. Do you think we would have time to do DTD or should we just head for the airport after we disembark?

^I'd head to the airport myself (our family is SLOW though, lol.) Depending on how early you get off the boat you could have time. On both our cruises we were among the very last ones to get off.

Anyway, after our second cruise, we went to a mall near there before heading to the airport. Can't remember what it was called though. Florida something mall I think?

We were going to go to the Kennedy SC but we felt we didn't have enough time to get our moneys worth. The tickets were really expensive and we only would have an hour or two before we needed to go to the airport. (FYI we are SLOW to get off the ship!! Some of the last ones off, lol. Then we had to wait at least an hour for a bus to come that was going to our car rental place!)

I'd definitely to go DTD though :)

Perhaps a bit of a rush...
Need to be at airport for at least 2 hrs before...so 12ish...an hrs drive at least.....might give you a couple of hrs I guess. Depends on how disciplined you are at dragging yourselves away lol :thumbsup2 and what you want to see/do

We always seem to end up spending hours when we go to DTD!

BTW, you might already know but there is a Disney shop at MCO, as well as a Universal and Sea World shop

The Premium Outlet shops that are close to Downtown Disney are fun for shoppers to walk around. Not too far from the airport. Also, Downtown Disney has Rainforest Cafe that has a jungle theme, which is fun for kids (sometimes a long wait, though). Next to Rainforest Cafe is a great Wolfgang Puck's Express that has great lunch options, including a to-die-for Butternut Squash soup and some great flatbread pizzas.

You should factor in traffic and driving time...Saturday traffic is usually fine...but we got caught in a bad one in '05 and almost didn't make it to the airport on time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter