43 Days Til Our Aulani Trip!!!

JJJD

Earning My Ears
I'm so glad I found this website! Even between Aulani website and blog websites, I just can't get my fill anymore to satisfy my obsession for our upcoming trip! It'll be 5 nights 6 days with me, my wife, my 5 year old and my soon to be 1 year old. I think we are set and got some reservations from Aunty's Beach House and Makahiki. Our plan mainly is to stay in the resort with a day of light sight seeing and picking up some groceries on our first full day. Other than than, I don't plan on doing any excursion because I want this to be just about Aulani.

With that said, I am trying hard to come up of a budget and a list to where to dine for the length of our stay. We only have a standard room so our options for making something in the room is limited to what we can make/warm up in the microwave. I have budgeted up to 1k for our food, rainbow reef, photo pass cd. Can anyone chime in if this is doable? I will only have a rent A car for one day so no other driving will happen.

Here are the list of the restaurants I'm interested in:

1) Makahiki - Is it worth it if we have done this at Disneyland? We do want to photo up with characters. Some have told that the characters do meet and greets for free around the resort and some says they don't anymore.

2) Ulu Cafe - We will be taking advantage of at least one refillable mug for coffee since I've got some serious caffeine addiction! If we don't do the character breakfast, can we do something here for our daughter's 1st Bday? Also, is it advisable to get a pre dining package?

3) Monkey Pod - I heard great things about this restaurant. How's the walk from our room at Aulani to this restaurant with a 5 and 1 year olds? Is it doable to dine here a few times during our stay and be still within my budget of about $100 a day.

4) Just Tacos - What are your thoughts?

5) Pizza Corner - What are your thoughts?

6) ABC Market Deli - What are your thoughts?

Lastly, are there other restaurants where we can dine that are reasonably priced? How about drinks? I heard about Happy Hours at Monkey Pod, any other tips?

P.S. We are there the week of Mother's Day, are there any freebies for moms? Thanks!!!

Pizza corner is decent. We have got it once and brought it back to the room.

We love the ABC Market Deli. We prefer to get lunch food from here, either pre packaged or from the deli rather than eat at Aulani. It makes for a good break during the resort days and is always better than the fast food from Aulani.

Welcome! There is lots of good information here. I recommend reading through this whole thread (one page a day until you leave?!) It's called "What's the One Thing You Wish You Knew" and there is so much good information in it. Also just scroll back through the last few pages of threads on this board, there are tons of trip reports that will give you an idea of what to expect.

1) Makahiki - Is it worth it if we have done this at Disneyland? We do want to photo up with characters. Some have told that the characters do meet and greets for free around the resort and some says they don't anymore.
From what I can discern there is a "character line" you can call on the phone in the morning which tells you when the various characters meet throughout the day. The recent reports I read said that there was not a photopass photographer at the character meets around the resort but a cast member can take your photo with your own camera. Makahiki doesn't look great to me from a food perspective and it's really expensive, but I think tons of others would contradict me. Personally if I was tightly budgeting I'd skip Makahiki.

2) Ulu Cafe - We will be taking advantage of at least one refillable mug for coffee since I've got some serious caffeine addiction! If we don't do the character breakfast, can we do something here for our daughter's 1st Bday? Also, is it advisable to get a pre dining package?
Ulu Cafe is a quick service, so yes you could do something for your daughter's birthday but it would be more low key. I have not seen anyone recommend the dining package, it doesn't look like much (if any) of a savings, and it locks you in to eating at the resort.

3) Monkey Pod - I heard great things about this restaurant. How's the walk from our room at Aulani to this restaurant with a 5 and 1 year olds? Is it doable to dine here a few times during our stay and be still within my budget of about $100 a day.
From what I understand it is literally across the street. There is also a resort shuttle that can take you around Ko Olina. There are other resorts nearby so you could check out their restaurants as well.

How about drinks? I heard about Happy Hours at Monkey Pod, any other tips?
Olelo room (the bar/lounge at Aulani) also offers happy hour specials, as does Roy's at the golf course (take the Ko Olina shuttle or walk, from what I understand). You should have a fridge in the room, I'd get some adult beverages and mixers either across the street at ABC or go to a proper store when you have the rental car. Mix drinks in your room to stay within that budget. It might even be less expensive for you to go over your baggage limit and check an extra suitcase with snacks and drinks, especially since you have littles who might want juice boxes and packaged snacks,etc.

There are grills available outside in the evenings if you want to take advantage of those to cook a simple meal or two - there are utensils available to borrow from the Pau Hana room (I think that is where you get them). Also even in the standard rooms I am 99% sure you can have housekeeping bring you a rice cooker if you ask nicely. We are contemplating making egg frittatas in one for breakfast items (line the rice cooker with aluminum foil to minimize clean up issues). You can also make tons of lunch options from what's available at ABC and keep it in your room fridge.

4) Just Tacos - What are your thoughts?

5) Pizza Corner - What are your thoughts?

6) ABC Market Deli - What are your thoughts?
1) Yes, we think its worth it for the characters and the food.

2) Don't know about this one. Its pretty much a grab and go kind of place.

3) Good choice. Easy walk from Aulani. Basically right across the street.

4) Haven't tried it

5) Pizza Corner - very good! The also deliver to Aulani at night.

6) Some good choices in there. Good place to buy some stuff for your room.

Thanks all for the wonderful tips! Can't believe I book this less than 2 months! I see people booking a whole year ahead! It was only but a dream. Looking at commercials, hearing stories of all great things. Now it's our turn! Hopefully we get to enjoy it! I love Disney cult! I'm so brainwashed lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter