4-Night Very Merrytime Cruise from Galveston

Julia M

DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi
This trip was planned super spontaneously. I received an email from DCL on October 8, offering discounted verandah rooms for sailing out of San Diego. I decided to book a long weekend cruise, because that;s just an hour flight for us, but the dates didn’t work. There was no way I was flying to FL for a 3 or 4 night cruise (for us, it’s a full day of travel each way and there are no nonstop flights anymore), so I was about to say “oh well” when I noticed a cruise date out of Galveston. I quickly checked and saw I could get a non stop flight to Houston. After checking with my dh, the next thing I knew I was booking the 4 night Very Merrytime Western Caribbean Cruise, leaving from Galveston on December 3. It was a little sneaky of me….dh might have said “no” to a cruise, but he loves Disney. Our stateroom is GTY, so we will be assigned a room a day or so before we cruise. Our cruise fare was $792 plus about $79 for taxes, etc. I normally like to choose a room, but for these savings a short cruise, I’m okay.

My dh and I have been on one previous Disney cruise…..in October 2019, a two night Halloween on the High Seas cruise. We tried twice for a week long Mexican Riviera cruise with our kids and my mom, booking April 2020 and April 2021. Both were cancelled (obviously). I really wanted to reschedule another cruise with my kids, but they are all young adults starting out their careers, and it’s almost impossible to find a full week we could do something. And they don’t really want to go on a Disney cruise, although they like Disneyland and WDW. They want to go to Atlantis! I also offered to take my mom, but she is having many back problems and doesn’t feel she can travel right now until that is resolved. So, it’s just me and dh.

I’ve been on multiple other cruises, going back to 1983, on HAL, Carnival, Princess, RCCL and NCL, in addition to my one Disney cruise. Many of my cruises took place before I got married and on my honeymoon. Then with three kids, school tuition and activities, dh and I didn't cruise again until a few years ago. Before Covid, I took my mom and sister on 2 cruises and then dh and I went on two: Alaska and our Halloween Disney cruise. We actually had three other cruises cancelled during Covid (in addition to our Disney cruise cancellations), so are trying to make up for lost time!

Current plans include flying to Houston on Thursday December 2 and spending the night near Hobby airport. If we have no issues, our flight is expected to land at 3pm. Given the current state of air travel, that may or may not happen. I have convinced dh to travel with just carry on luggage, in case we have an issue with our travel. I don’t say this lightly. I have flown 3 or 4 times in the past few months and every flight has been changed, sometimes multiple times and every flight has been delayed or cancelled on the date of departure.

I booked two tastings on the ships: a wine tasting and champagne tasting. I am debating what to do (if anything) in Cozumel, so will keep researching. I am also still deciding how to get to and from Galveston. I may book a shuttle and I may book a private car.

I am also thinking about what to pack. I'm not really a casual t-shirt person (like graphic tees) nor a sweatpants/leggings, but I kind of want some items with a Disney feel. I just bought this top and love it: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Agnes-Or...-Polka-Dots-Short-Sleeve-Peplum-Top/139596162
I also ordered this swimsuit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2HQ75S?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1 (yes, I love the color red and polka dots, it's no wonder I'm a Minnie fan).

Can't wait to make more plans for this cruise!

We scheduled the DIS Podcast Cruise in May as our first DCL cruise. After doing so, we started watching several vlogs and liked that they were running ships at reduced capacity. We’ll be in the Houston area over Thanksgiving, visiting our granddaughter and her parents, so I decided to look at what was available. As a result, we’ll be on the same cruise as you.

Our plans are to be driven from their house to Hobby (Uber if necessary), and take a shuttle from there. We were late to this, so all onboard activities were sold, hoping for cancellations while onboard. We did book the chocolate/honey/tequila tour. We’ve been to the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area, but never made it to Cozumel.

We scheduled the DIS Podcast Cruise in May as our first DCL cruise. After doing so, we started watching several vlogs and liked that they were running ships at reduced capacity. We’ll be in the Houston area over Thanksgiving, visiting our granddaughter and her parents, so I decided to look at what was available. As a result, we’ll be on the same cruise as you.

Our plans are to be driven from their house to Hobby (Uber if necessary), and take a shuttle from there. We were late to this, so all onboard activities were sold, hoping for cancellations while onboard. We did book the chocolate/honey/tequila tour. We’ve been to the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area, but never made it to Cozumel.

Welcome! I looked, but there is no Disney meet scheduled for this date. Your group and mine may be the only ones on it. We have late dining.

A lot was sold out when we booked, but luckily a few were left.

I am actually getting nervous about our flight the day before. We are flying Southwest and they have had so many issues, again and again. I am wondering if we should try and fly in on Wednesday instead of Thursday?

Welcome! I looked, but there is no Disney meet scheduled for this date. Your group and mine may be the only ones on it. We have late dining.

A lot was sold out when we booked, but luckily a few were left.

I am actually getting nervous about our flight the day before. We are flying Southwest and they have had so many issues, again and again. I am wondering if we should try and fly in on Wednesday instead of Thursday?

Thanks! We’re just hoping for a reduced capacity onboard, making it more relaxing. We’ll play it by ear for extra onboard activities and for now, we’re just planning on the shows and seeing characters. We have late dining too.

Since we’re visiting family, flight delays/cancellations won’t affect us for this cruise. We actually extended our stay in Houston an extra week to make this cruise (got a small credit from the flight change on Alaska Air). It might be wise to fly in a day earlier so you have an extra day to scramble, should flights become a mess over the Thanksgiving holiday. When we first moved to Alaska, we learned to schedule an extra day when flying out in case of bad weather.

All checked in! Because I'm on the West Coast, it was 9pm when online checked in opened. Of course, I didn't remember, but I was looking to see if I had been assigned a room yet (I know it's way too early, but couldn't help myself). It worked out for me though! We are in boarding group 2. I booked the earliest time, because it's such a short cruise, I want every minute possible.

I have also booked our transport to and from Galveston. I booked through Galveston Saltwater Moms. It's $60 one way from Hobby. They'll pick us up when we depart as well.

Our cruise is just about 3 1.2 weeks away!

I’ll admit to checking my account everyday to see if we got our room assignment too. Okay, I might be doing it more than once a day.

So two weeks until our cruise! No room assignment yet. I am checking daily, lol. We also decided to fly to Houston Thursday (as originally planned) and not on Wednesday. It's a hard call, but I am hoping for the best. There is a website called severe weather outlook, and you can see predicted weather for the next week. So I can try and look and see what might happen, and we'll reevaluate if needed. Getting excited!

Today is the day! We got our room assignment. We booked the discounted verandah room so there was a broad range of options that we could have gotten. We were assigned a deluxe family ocean view stateroom with verandah (category 4). It's especially nice since I just became a travel agent and it gives me the chance to experience a room I would never book (since I would just be booking for dh and I). I don't really have status with Disney (only my second DIsney cruise), so I am guessing the ship maybe isn't too crowded? Otherwise, I have no idea why we'd get such a good room. We are located in the front of the ship, deck 8, with the spa and adult pool above us and rooms below us.
It's getting real!

We got our assignment too. It’s not as good as yours, but it’s our first DCL cruise. We got a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah (Category 5C). I assume it’s better than the obstructed view cabin we paid for.

We got our assignment too. It’s not as good as yours, but it’s our first DCL cruise. We got a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah (Category 5C). I assume it’s better than the obstructed view cabin we paid for.

I am guessing it's a bigger room with a better view. Can't believe we leave in less than a week!

Another update: We received an email stating our online check in was finalized. So I need to pack and we are almost ready to go (flying this Thursday). So close to traveling!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter