4 Aussies and a month long trip short summary

wendlle

Aussie Wendy
So we are back from our Orlando trip, no point in doing Trip Reports because we were there for a month - too many! But I thought I might do a summary of such.

2 Adults and 2 kids aged 3.5 years old and the other 10 months old - both girls.
We are from Australia.

Hurricaine Dorian closed the airport the day we were set to arrive in Orlando so we had to change our flights, we had a layover in LA so decided to make the most of it and we hit Disneyland for 3 nights while we were there before heading to Orlando.
I just love Disneyland so much, it was super quiet we went on a Tuesday/Wednesday, can't say enough great things about the Disneyland Resort.
Because of that we lost 3 nights at our Universal Accommodation which was Royal Pacific Resort.
Now, we've stayed here before when it was just DH and I before we had kids and we really liked it, I didn't like it as much with the kids. TBH it just wasn't that kid friendly - I felt the staff weren't as into kids like they are at Cabana Bay which is where we stayed last time. As we only had a few days now at Universal we changed resorts to RPR so we could get the EP's which were needed, even though it was September the lines were long as it was a Sat/Sunday when we went to the parks.
Kids had a great time, not much for them to do at IOA as even Seuss Landing has so many height restrictions but over at Universal Park the kids area was a HUGE hit, so much for the LO's to see and do.
Fav Meal at Universal Resort: This would have to go to Toothsome, service was great and the food was really good, they really interacted with our kids.
Worst Meal at Universal Resort: Hard Rock Cafe, food took forever, our server wasn't interested in us at all. Was a shame because we usually really like it there.

Then it was off to WDW, we were doing a triple split say renting DVC points via DVC Rental Store. This was the first time renting points - we always stay at Value resorts, but now with two kids a double stroller etc we really wanted to cut down on using the bus transport.
We chose Boulder Ridge Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House.
Each resort was wonderful in their own way but out of the three we loved Boardwalk Villas the most. It was such a pleasure walking to Epcot and HS, I have no idea why people wait for the boats, we beat them every time by walking and it is such a nice walk.
We paid for a Garden View room and got a room with a view of the lawn, boardwalk, water and you could see Spaceship EArth from our room it was magic!
When we checked in there was a note in the room to say the carpet may be a little wet due to it being cleaned that day - we didn't think much of it, 2 days in the toilet backed up and water went everywhere. I called the front desk and the first thing they asked was "did it get on the floor" I guess that answered my question about why the floor was cleaned - I think they were having an issue with the toilet in this room.
Fav Thing about the Boardwalk - Ample Hills Creamery, what a treat this place is. The icecream is to die for and not that expensive either for what you get.
Worst thing about the Boardwalk - I honestly can't think of a thing! It was a pleasure being there.

Our next resort was Boulder Ridge Villas, we had a standard view room and I requested ground floor and we got just that. Room overlooked a little stream and a walkway. Boy was it quiet here, you could completely forget that you are at WDW.
While we were here our eldest DD fell Ill, the Front Desk CM was fantastic she gave us some brochures for Doctors and we used "The Medical Concierge" who came to our room, they were prompt and professional and even had the medication with her! We had to call the Doctor a few days later when something happened and she called in a prescription to the pharmacy who then delivered it to the resort - what service! And TBH was cheaper than I expected - our Travel Insurance replaced our money when we got back home.
Best thing about Boulder Ridge - the boat to MK, it is magic. I just loved taking the boat there. Almost all the boats we could just walk our stroller on - no need to fold it which was great.
Worst thing about Boulder Ridge - Roaring Fork QS, there just isn't enough variety. We were there for 7 nights and the food got old real quick especially when there was only 1 thing on the menu I could eat!

Next resort was Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House, we paid for a Standard Room and got an amazing 5th floor room facing the pool. There were lovebugs all over the balcony we couldn't go out there it was insane! Was nice to look out the window though.
Our eldest DD loved the Simbas Cub House here, basically it is like a Community Centre - she did all sorts of crafts and the CM's were great. Loved it in there!
Best thing about AKL - the theming, it is so beautiful and the CM's are great, I loved that they have them at the bus stops etc with interesting animal facts etc. We learned a lot about Animal Poop LOL
Worst thing about AKL - the transport. I mean, I actually don't think that AKL is "far away" like others do, each resort has a park that is close and others that aren't. But my issue was that the bus were always so full. They stop at Kidani first and lots of times they were full before hitting Jambo house, we would get it on and no one would offer us a seat. I was carrying a baby and still a man left his bag on the seat and watched me stand holding the baby. This happened on multiple occassions.

Best Meal of the Trip: We had two that were standouts, Storybook Dining with Snow White - the food was awesome. Although they got my meal wrong as I asked for the Gnocchi to come without leek and it came WITH leek and without asparagus - I let it slide. The character interaction was fantastic and the place was pretty quiet for a character meal - it was all very civilized.
Now, the Queen is worth the cost by herself - what a character she is!
The next was Cape May Cafe Breakfast, wow now this is how a character meal should be. We saw each character twice, the interaction was the best we have ever had and the food was down right delicious and a great range of options too.
I'll also throw in 1900 Park Fare as another stand out, we had Dinner there, the Step Sisters were a riot - worth the price alone. The food was great and I loved the glass slipper photo op in the back.

Worst Meal of the Trip: Hollywood & Vine, we did the Disney Jnr breakfast and it was all kids of bad. The food was not good and the characters were rushed and non interested. Won't be back to that one.
Also Sci Fi Dine In. We had a reservation for Lunch. When I turned up to check in people where everywhere and I mean all over the place outside and inside I could barely get in the door.
People were being turned away because they didn't have an ADR - no walk-ins allowed.
I was told it would be an hour wait past our ADR time! I've got two kids, they can't wait an hour after my ADR time to eat. So I cancelled without charge - still haven't eaten at this place, don't think I'm destined to.

Highlights of the trip: 100% seeing my eldest DD's face when she turned around at her Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique Appointment, we did the Grand Floridian location. It was a special moment that is for sure.
We had a lot of highlights, it's hard to mention them all, our 10 month old got lots of attention, I just love how they make a fuss over the kids, they felt so special the entire time we were at WDW.
My eldest meeting Elsa - WOW the look on her face was priceless. It's amazing how kids see things, it's all just real to them it's quite magical to see it.
We completed two autograph books in the time we were there and could have done more, we saw every single character available except for the Star Wars characters - we aren't interested in those.

Low lights of the trip: The elderly couple at Cape May Cafe who yelled at us and told us we were (insert profanity) parents for taking a 10 month old to a character meal.
To the many (men) who didn't give me a seat while carrying a baby on the bus - funny how many women did.
Halloween Party - was so crowded it was almost impossible to do anything - not at all like years past - this will be our last Halloween Party that's for sure.

Overall we had an amazing trip, spent around $20K on the entire thing (that's Aussie Dollars) and it was worth it all. We will be back in 2021, not sure if it will be May or November.

Oh i'll add a couple of things about the kids.
Flights were great, almost 30 hours of travel from our house to Orlando, as long as you're prepared you can do it and your kids will be fine. Take snacks, distractions but just remain calm - kids feed off your attitude.
Baby at WDW, fav places to let baby crawl were the playground at Epcot - wow this place was fantastic, I'm not sure if it is only there for the Food and Wine festival but I hope it stays, so many little kids playing there it was great. In fact I don't know why all the parks don't have a playground. So many kids were all packed into the tiny area at Splash Mountain in MK - just give the kids a bigger area to play and crawl in!
Epcot "The Seas" was great, so much room to let a baby crawl! HS had no where at all, the Toy Story area would be perfect for a playground or grassy area. MK was hard also but the grassy areas in the hub were great as was the little area at Splash Mountain.
We found the baby care centres overcrowded and stinky - seriously the smell off poop was disgusting. but they were great for supplies.

Can't wait to go back!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts