3rd Disney Trip-Dec 2016 (Signature & Character Dining, Gluten Free Reviews)-Completed 1/28

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Reviews' started by Raeven, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Disneyhayes

Disneyhayes DIS Veteran

Bernaise sauce is my favorite! My mom made it a lot growing up

Raeven likes this.
  2. ShellieMimi

ShellieMimi Mouseketeer

I have enjoyed all of your reviews so far!

Stinks about Trail's End. Josh's plate looks so depressing. :laughing: The rest of your meals, though, look great!

The bread service at Sanaa is one of my top five favorite things at eat in WDW.

I am DYING to try D-Luxe Burger. I actually don't eat hamburgers very often but theirs just seem so good.

Looking forward to the rest. :)

Raeven likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

It was so good! We need to try to make our own sometime.

Thank you!

Oh I know it was :laughing: I felt bad that he couldn't have more.

It was delicious!

It's so good!

5. ThreeBoyMama

ThreeBoyMama DIS Veteran

Just got all caught up, great reviews! I have to stop looking at pictures of the bread service at Sanaa because it just makes me want to get in my car and drive to WDW. I keep asking my 8-year-old where he wants to eat in September and all he'll say is "Sanaa!" :laughing:

Trail's End looks like it was a bummer, which is too bad. Having to wait that long for a table inevitably starts things on a sour note, and then for the food to be underwhelming is a double whammy.:sad2:

I may have to find a way to get to D-Luxe burger on my next trip--those burgers and fries look awesome!

Raeven likes this.
  6. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Thank you! Haha I know it's sooo good!

Yeah that was a bummer.

They are soooo good!

7. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Boma

Our third day started with an early reservation at Boma, but Josh still wasn't feeling too hungry after our big meal the night before. I decided to go myself and we'd meet back in the room and go to Epcot afterwards.

As I mentioned in my TR I had a kind of weird experience as a "solo diner". If you haven't read it I went up to the check in, and the two girls behind the desk if completely ignored me when it was my turn. There was a family of 5 standing to the side of me, and one of them directed her attention to them. When she still saw me standing there she asked if I was part of their party. I said no and she went back to ignoring me. Finally the other girl checked me in, but informed me there was a wait. I found it strange the family of 5 was seated asap, and almost all the tables were empty but I still had to wait. The wait wasn't long though, and the waitress was much more polite.

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 3.27.09 PM.png

This is plate 1 (I don't have a picture of plate 2 because there wasn't much on it). I got bacon, tater tots, what I thought were potatoes, scrambled eggs, a cinnamon bun, and banana bread french toast bread pudding with pecan praline sauce. I also drank tons of Jungle Juice. What I thought were potatoes were actually plantains, but I didn't realize that until one was already in my mouth which was an unpleasant surprise. (I actually don't dislike plantains I just wasn't expecting them to be something sweet). Aside from the not potatoes and cinnamon bun (which was just okay) the rest of the dish was very good.

Plate 2 which isn't shown here had goat cheese and spinach scrambled eggs and more tater tots. I'm actually not a fan of goat cheese and you could really taste it in the eggs so I didn't like them, but I wanted to try something new off the buffet. The tater tots were good so I popped on in my mouth up at the buffet, and had to awkwardly spit it back into my plate because it was so hot! After that plate I paid the check, and went to get Josh so we could start our day in Epcot.

It was a good breakfast, but if I knew I was going to be eating alone I probably would've saved time and money (though at least Boma was in our hotel and one of the cheaper buffets) and gone to Les Halles or The Mara for breakfast.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    VACamm and ArielSRL like this.
  8. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

San Angel Inn, Kringla Bakeri

For lunch we dined at San Angel Inn. Josh has wanted to go to this restaurant ever since he first saw it.

IMG_0303.JPG

First they brought out some chips and salsa. I'm not big on salsa and we wanted to save room for lunch so we just had a few of those,

IMG_0307.JPG

And I ordered the avocado margarita @ariane37 has talked about before. It's really good, and I agree with her it doesn't taste like you would think. I do like avocado, but obviously it's sweeter than that. It was a really good margarita.

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 6.54.17 PM.png

For an appetizer Josh got:

Sopa Azteca
    Traditional tortilla soup, served with fried tortilla strips, avocado, cheese, and pasilla pepper

IMG_0308.JPG

And I got:

Queso Fundido

Melted Cheese with chorizo, Poblano peppers and onions, served with flour tortillas

Minus the chorizo

They did bring out GF tortillas for Josh in case we wanted to share, but Josh decided to save room for the entree instead.

IMG_0309.JPG

We both liked our appetizers, but I definitely filled up on mine because when the entree came I wasn't very hungry. Because we both ordered separate appetizers (which we don't usually do) we decided to split an entree.

We split the:

Enchiladas Verdes con Pollo
    Corn tortillas filled with pulled chicken, covered with green tomatillo sauce, topped with sour cream, queso fresco and onions, served with rice and refried black beans

IMG_0311.JPG

This was alright, but like I said Josh ate most of it. We thought the meal was pretty good, but overall the appetizers (and drink) were better than the entree. My only complaint really was our table was very small and a little wobbly so it made maneuvering the plates around difficult because they just kept putting stuff down without taking anything off the table. I would go back again, but I'd rather try some of the other Mexican restaurants on property first, but I can recommend this if you're just looking for some appetizers.

After lunch I went to get some dessert at Kringla Bakeri.

I recently made rice pudding for the first time, and loved it! I make it often now, so I was excited to try rice cream especially since I had seen very positive reviews of it. Except I didn't like it... Texturally it was really nice and even creamier than rice pudding. But under the strawberry topping which tasted like any store bought strawberry topping it was flavorless. Rice pudding usually has a vanilla flavor (and sometimes cinnamon if you add it in). I know rice cream isn't the same as rice pudding, but the rice cream itself didn't taste like anything. So I found this snack more than a little disappointing, and didn't end up finishing it.

IMG_0492.JPG

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  9. ArielSRL

ArielSRL DIS Veteran

I'm glad you tried Boma by yourself....just so you can say you did. I've had it for dinner. It was good but I haven't been back. One day I will though probably not breakfast unless (until?) we stay there!

I've also done San Angel Inn but it really wasn't a standout to me so I don't know if I'll be back or not.

I was looking at the Kringla Ka menu yesterday to see if there was something I might want from there and nothing stood out to me (no school bread bc I'm not a coconut fan). I've also never had rice pudding.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Raeven likes this.
  10. ariane37

ariane37 Dis veteran

I'm so glad you loved the avocado margarita :cheer2: Totally doesn't taste like avocado lol
    I'm so disappointed you didn't love Boma breakfast though! I absolutely did, but I wasn't solo and even in my mid 40's I haven't mastered being comfortable dining alone. Plus you had that weird experience checking in :confused3 At least it wasn't as bad as Trails End but still, that's 2 restaurants I love that you weren't thrilled with. Maybe you shouldn't ever go to Il Mulino :rotfl2:

Raeven likes this.
  11. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

We had a dinner booked but we ended up canceling it because we weren't hungry.

I like coconut I kind of wish I tried that instead. Rice pudding is really easy to make! Just don't buy a store made one if you want to try because I tried one and it didn't taste right at all.

It's so good! Boma wasn't bad like Trails End it was just awkward dining alone, and I wouldn't have bothered with a TS if I knew ahead of time.

ArielSRL likes this.
  12. pepperandchips

pepperandchips [melinda]

Here! Man you guys have me wanting to try shula's now! The Disney wish list grows ever longer... And the San Angel meal looks yummy. We may have to try it just for apps and drinks!

Raeven likes this.
  13. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Shulas is amazing! You won't regret it. Apps and drinks are a good plan for San Angel Inn too there's a lot of choices.

14. Lisa F

Lisa F is a very wise woman

was it weird sharing the bread service with strangers at the table? it seems like an enormous amount of food but i'd be kind of creeped out digging in with my hands with strangers lol. Maybe it's just me.

I found that at disney more than anywhere, my mood going in really influenced how my meal went. 40 minutes in the cold would have had me really pissy and hard to make happy. Also I seriously have to be in the right mood for that kind of food too.

Those steaks look great though. My kid would be in heaven, lol. he discovered filet mignon on our trip. Can't wait for the rest!

Raeven likes this.
  15. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Kind of. I felt like I had to eat whichever one I first picked up even if I was looking for a certain type because I didn't want to put it back down. It was more weird that no one could tell which was which and just ate whatever, but the people on our side were quite polite and I didn't feel grossed out by anything they did.

Yes! Well I would be pissed at home too, but I would probably just leave unless I planned to wait that long. We had no idea the wait would be that long its probably the longest we've waited at a restaurant (while being unaware of the wait time and unable to leave the area).

They were so good! I think I discovered just how much I loved filet mignon on this trip :lovestruc

16. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Homecoming

That night we headed to Chef Art Smith's Homecoming for dinner. It was a pleasant night (maybe a little chilly), but we asked to be seated on the porch. We decided to start out with the Church Lady Deviled Eggs. These were different from most deviled eggs I've ever had since they were more sweet than savory, (I think the bacon was candied) but they were enjoyable. Josh liked them a lot too. It also came with a small side of fried okra that Josh couldn't eat, but I could. I really liked it, and the saltiness offset the sweetness in the eggs nicely.

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 6.39.58 PM.png

For dinner Josh got the Hamilton which is:

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 6.34.47 PM.png

Lunch counter style with two burger patties on thick-sliced bread, topped with white cheddar, grilled onions, chow-chow relish, bread and butter pickles and tomato. He substituted in a side of mashed potatoes because their fries couldn't be made gluten free.

Josh enjoyed his burger, but was still a little full from lunch so he didn't eat too much of it.

For dinner I had Chef Art Smith's Fried Chicken:

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 6.35.01 PM.png

Chef Art Smith's signature dish! Buttermilk-brined for 24 hours then perfectly fried and served with creamy mashed potatoes, cheddar drop biscuit and love

This was soooo good! :lovestruc But so filling that I only had 1.5 pieces of chicken out of 3, and some of the potatoes and biscuit. The buttermilk brine made it moist and delicious. I'm usually not a huge fan of fried chicken because I find it dry, but this was perfect.

I realized too late I barely even got the biscuit in the plate in my picture, but I had already eaten half of it by then :rotfl:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  17. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Tusker House

When we got to Tusker House we only had a short wait, but we didn't take a picture in front of the sign this time. I have no idea if they stopped this or if it was just too busy that day.

For my first plate I got the banana bread pudding with vanilla sauce, bacon, scrambled eggs, and roasted potatoes along with some Jungle Juice. The eggs were kind of flavorless, the potatoes were good, the bacon was nice and crispy, but the bread pudding was the winner of this dish.

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 11.34.46 PM.png

How did I put this on the plate so nicely?

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 6.35.17 PM.png

Josh got bacon, eggs, beef bobotie, mickey waffles, fruit, and yogurt.

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 6.57.08 PM.png

I thought it was cool how his waffles were stacked so I asked him to take a picture, but it's not centered very well. :rotfl:

My second plate was tater tots, more bread pudding, a bagel, bacon, and leek frittata.

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 6.56.49 PM.png

The frittata wasn't that good, but everything else was. When I was toasting the bagel up at the buffet it took forever and didn't toast all the way through. When I went to put cream cheese on it I guess a lady nearby was waiting for the cream cheese. It didn't take me long to use it, but she kept sighing heavily while staring at it the whole time like I was taking forever :rotfl2:

Tusker House is always good (better when you can taste!) and the banana bread pudding with vanilla sauce was my favorite! (I didn't even know about it last time so I was determined to try it this time and I loved it).

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 6.57.01 PM.png

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    VACamm, ariane37 and dnllmz like this.
  18. cwiklamama

cwiklamama Earning My Ears

Loving your dining report! Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Raeven likes this.
  19. buteraa

buteraa Mouseketeer

We are going to Boma for the first time in March so the review was really nice to see. Same with homecoming. That chicken looks delicious and can't wait to try it.

Raeven likes this.
  20. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Thank you!

Thanks! The chicken was so good!

21. princess aleya

princess aleya DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying your reviews. I have always wanted to try Shulas, your steaks looked yummy!

Raeven likes this.