3 trips this year was probably one too many…and other thoughts

Sparky984

Mouseketeer
We bought DVC in September 2020 after spending many vacations in Disney World. We had banked points and plenty of vacation time after going nowhere last year.

Stay 1 - our welcome home trip was at Beach Club. We stayed in a studio, and enjoyed our first vacation at this resort. The proximity to Epcot is hard to beat. The kids loved the pool. We opted for outdoor dining only since the kids couldn’t be vaxxed at that point. Many restaurants and attractions were closed or closed early. For example, Friars nook was open for dinner but closed at 5 pm. Ok, fine, we knew what we were getting into. It sucks but it was the deal we made.

Stay 2 - our first stay at Riviera and our first time in a 1BR! We loved the resort. We enjoyed all the extras a 1 bedroom offers over a studio. The quick service was very good. The kids loved the skyliner and we found it to be far superior to waiting for a bus. We never had to wait and I never had to stand with a double stroller on a crowded bus. We found the main pool to be a bit too crowded, I wish it were a bit bigger. Still no indoor dining, but more options were available and with a full kitchen we did take advantage of more meals in the room. The crowds were low, very low! We did everything we wanted, multiple times if we wanted. This was a great trip!

Then the crowds returned and Genie made its debut.

Stay 3 - back to a favorite resort but our first stay in a Boulder Ridge studio. DME was the worst ever. It was packed in the queue area so I wonder how many busses were running, it was slow to get us a bus, slow to load people, slow to load luggage. It took forever from touchdown to room. The room needed to be updated YEARS ago. The sofa bed was terrible, the queen bed was ok, at best. Housekeeping did towels one day but ignored the beds and did not restock the shampoo, etc. We had a beverage cooler instead of a mini fridge, which was a disappointment as we will use the freezer portion.

We still did outdoor dining as were still waiting on one more kid to be eligible for a vaccine. Tbh, I’m kind of over the quick service options. I wish a better quality restaurant like BOG still did QS. I’d like to see a sandwich shop somewhere. It could even be order the meats/cheese and go top it the rest yourself with a toppings bar like Pecos Bill. The average burgers and chicken strips are everywhere…just looking for more variety.

We did buy one LL and it worked well. We did Genie+ one day and found it to be just ok. We did the early morning hours at Epcot and that was worth the effort. MK early morning hours got us on one ride but it was so much more crowded waiting to get into the park and then again to get past the roped off areas. End result is I think early morning can be worth it but probably more if you’re trying to avoid genie or LL for a very specific attraction. We found the deluxe late hours to be awesome. We tore through many attractions in only two hours. Beyond those two hours the park was packed. We were doing fewer attractions than usual. We spent more time at the resort doing the pool and resort activities as a result of not wanting to wait so long for the rides.

The ability to use gift cards was on and off the whole trip. Sometimes it worked at one stand but the one next to it did not work. This is frustrating since we purchase DGC at a discount.

Much of the park is back to normal but I still find much is lacking. For example, we find the new Lion King show is not worth seeing. The blue card perks are small or non existent. I’ve never done a Moonlight Magic party. Waiting 20 minutes for our turn to get into Figments lounge for a free coke and animal crackers is just ok and certainly not worth the premium of a blue card. Mobile order lacks customization options I’d prefer. The app pushed me a notification saying my window started but when I clicked the notification to read the whole thing, it sent that I said Im here. I wasn’t and due to a ride stoppage, I didn’t make it, so it said since you said you were here and didn’t arrive we canceled your order and charged you the full amount. This ended up working out ok but very annoyed at it. We did the mobile checkout at one store because the lines were long but I feel now that I should not participate in doing the stores job. Hire the staff you need. Pay them what you need to in order to find the workers. I ended up having to wait in a line anyway to have them cross me off the tablet as showing them a QR code that wasn’t scanned. I don’t know why I had to do that. They know I paid, I know I paid, just let me go.

I think I need a break from Disney until we can find an appropriate alternative to DME (not Uber for car seat reasons and probably not Mears after that last showing), and until we are ready for everyone in our party to do indoor dining. But also, given my own perception of what I want on a vacation and at what cost, Disneys recent changes have largely left a sour feeling towards the parks. I don’t want to beat down the door 30 minutes early and get up at 7 am and do Genie all day long. We had a case of wanting to change parks and had an issue with the reservation because it was in a bucket that didn’t allow modify. We had to cancel and rebook instead. We had a situation where we went to a park in the evening after going to our reserved park and the system said we were not allowed in because of this. CM had to call someone over. Same situation going on at the point of entry next to us. They fixed it but it’s a problem they caused. I think Im much more open to considering a different use of points going forward. A crazy thought for someone who has been going regularly since 1993, and just bought DVC last year.

Last edited:
Have not stayed at the Beach Club in years and never at Copper Creek (although I have heard that studios are on the small side). After staying at Riviera everything else can look at little worn.

How long were you staying at Copper Creek? I have never had my sheets changed as a DVC member...I know you are supposed to get a full cleaning for stays of 8 days or more, which occurs on day 4 and trash and towel on day 8. For 7 days or less you get trash and towel service on day 4. This is when they replace your towels with fresh ones and are supposed to replenish coffee, shampoo, soap if your supply has dwindled. We usually leave a note or just ask a housekeeper in the hallway if we see one. Most resorts are now using the refillable pump bottles for shampoo, conditioner and body wash (and I hate them). We usually do split stays so have never had 8 consecutive days in onecresort room. That being said, sorry your room was not good. Copper Creek is not that old, so that is disappointing.

Where is your home resort?

I agree with you on almost everything you said about the parks.....our trips after the reopening but before Genie + (we had 5) were great.....except for the no fireworks. Parks were crowded but manageable. This post Genie trip was annoying. We did take advantage of the 30 minute head start and it worked well for us, but so many of the LL rides were down for hours. I would not have been happy. Parks were extremely crowded by noon.

We do almost no dining on property.. we cook a lot in our room and make sandwiches for lunch. Or we get takeout from the numerous places offsite. It just gets so costly. And the food is not what it used to be.

Magical Express will be no more after December. Have you thought about renting a car? There are a number of towncar companies that will bring you to your resort and also stop for groceries.

Most of what you were not happy with is the fault of Disney Parks and not DVC. And also their very unreliable IT experience. It is so frustrating. We don’t spend all that much time in the parks....early morning and later evening. But we don’t have little ones to worry about. Totally understand the need for a break.

We did the figment lounge almost every day with no wait....but again it was soon after they opened. It did get busy...and the problem is sometimes people stay too long. And that can cause the waiting list. It’s nice, but not very big. It’s nice to have the little extras.....there was no such thing as DVC discounts or events or even being able to purchase a dining plan for many, many years. Hopefully their special events will come back soon....but even then they can be very hard to get in to.

I’m hoping Genie is a big failure. People spend enough as it is.

Maybe a break is a good idea. I’m very curious to see what the new exchange program with Interval International brings. Nit might be the break some of us need from the bubble.

Have not stayed at the Beach Club in years and never at Copper Creek (although I have heard that studios are on the small side). After staying at Riviera everything else can look at little worn.

How long were you staying at Copper Creek? I have never had my sheets changed as a DVC member...I know you are supposed to get a full cleaning for stays of 8 days or more, which occurs on day 4 and trash and towel on day 8. For 7 days or less you get trash and towel service on day 4. This is when they replace your towels with fresh ones and are supposed to replenish coffee, shampoo, soap if your supply has dwindled. We usually leave a note or just ask a housekeeper in the hallway if we see one. Most resorts are now using the refillable pump bottles for shampoo, conditioner and body wash (and I hate them). We usually do split stays so have never had 8 consecutive days in onecresort room. That being said, sorry your room was not good. Copper Creek is not that old, so that is disappointing.

Where is your home resort?

I agree with you on almost everything you said about the parks.....our trips after the reopening but before Genie + (we had 5) were great.....except for the no fireworks. Parks were crowded but manageable. This post Genie trip was annoying. We did take advantage of the 30 minute head start and it worked well for us, but so many of the LL rides were down for hours. I would not have been happy. Parks were extremely crowded by noon.

We do almost no dining on property.. we cook a lot in our room and make sandwiches for lunch. Or we get takeout from the numerous places offsite. It just gets so costly. And the food is not what it used to be.

Magical Express will be no more after December. Have you thought about renting a car? There are a number of towncar companies that will bring you to your resort and also stop for groceries.

Most of what you were not happy with is the fault of Disney Parks and not DVC. And also their very unreliable IT experience. It is so frustrating. We don’t spend all that much time in the parks....early morning and later evening. But we don’t have little ones to worry about. Totally understand the need for a break.

We did the figment lounge almost every day with no wait....but again it was soon after they opened. It did get busy...and the problem is sometimes people stay too long. And that can cause the waiting list. It’s nice, but not very big. It’s nice to have the little extras.....there was no such thing as DVC discounts or events or even being able to purchase a dining plan for many, many years. Hopefully their special events will come back soon....but even then they can be very hard to get in to.

I’m hoping Genie is a big failure. People spend enough as it is.

Maybe a break is a good idea. I’m very curious to see what the new exchange program with Interval International brings. Nit might be the break some of us need from the bubble.
They were at Boulder Ridge, not Copper Creek. I've been in a 1BR and a studio at BR in the last few months and both desperately need a refresh. I just got back yesterday (12/12) and I can tell you Genie + is definitely being used. The return lines were always busy, like the old days of FP.

Oops okay my bad. Was interrupted numerous times while posting. Now I understand better.....owners at Boulder Ridge have been really upset about numerous postponements of a refurb. I have stayed at BR when it was called Villas at Wilderness Lodge. I loved the separate building and it’s nice little lobby. You didn’t feel like you were in Florida. Nice gym too.

And after a few months without Disney, you'll be looking at booking again...... The challenge is real! We experience all the time, even after 5 trips in one year.

Yes it was Boulder Ridge. We have a small resale there but our primary (blue card) is from Riviera. Before DVC, WL was our favorite which is why we went with BRV as our resale (first contract). The BRV lobby was great. They had a couple fires going, it was well decorated and generally quiet. We still enjoyed the atmosphere even if the room was sub-par. I’m hoping the refurb sets things right.

We’ve done grocery delivery through instacart and have always had a good experience. Obviously you’re much more limited with a mini fridge and even more so with a beverage cooler. I considered DoorDash this time but things really were not that close and I didn’t want cold food.

The car rental is probably the most expensive DME replacement option but I must say I did appreciate the 4 minute Uber ride from Poly to WL instead of having to go through security, take the monorail back to MK and then a boat/bus back to WL. It cost us $20 (car seat was needed) but saved us a boatload of time.

We didn’t see much in the way of fireworks this time but were SPOILED last time by a RR SV room where we could see Epcots from our balcony. Great view, no crowds to manage, no crowded bus with a double stroller.

BRV is a great place for a non park visit. Or just for MK. It is peaceful and close to Ft Wilderness for other fun things to do. Just wish they would bring back all the dining options in that area.

Riviera is awesome, we love it there. Fireworks views are amazing.

You can sometimes get a good deal on a rental car. On the transportation forum on these boards there is usually a monthly car rental bargain sighting thread...you can find tips and codes for all the companies....prices change daily. Right now they’ve been high due to demand and lack of cars.....many sold a lot of their fleet during the shutdown.

@peabody58....I’m constantly in the planning mode. The new points charts are messing with my future plans. Will have to readjust again!,

BRV is a great place for a non park visit. Or just for MK. It is peaceful and close to Ft Wilderness for other fun things to do. Just wish they would bring back all the dining options in that area.

Riviera is awesome, we love it there. Fireworks views are amazing.

You can sometimes get a good deal on a rental car. On the transportation forum on these boards there is usually a monthly car rental bargain sighting thread...you can find tips and codes for all the companies....prices change daily. Right now they’ve been high due to demand and lack of cars.....many sold a lot of their fleet during the shutdown.

@peabody58....I’m constantly in the planning mode. The new points charts are messing with my future plans. Will have to readjust again!,
Try Autoslash.com for rentals. A poster here recommended them. I got a mid sized car from 12/4 through 12/8 for $303 total. No gimmicks. They don’t actually rent the car, they are an aggregator and search all the sites and find the lowest rates. They will send you a quote and then you can go to the site and book directly, no credit card was required. You can ask them to keep searching for a lower rate and they will email you when and if one pops up. My first quote was for $428 (it was lower than anything I was able to find). I booked that and kept searching with them and ended up at the $303. There was no charge to cancel any previous reservation I had made. They directed me to Priceline, where I booked the reservation. It was through Dollar, but the same rate came up for Hertz. Other than the long line at the airport, I had no problems. I googled them to read reviews before I used them, all reviews were very positive.

Last edited:
I think I need a break from Disney until we can find an appropriate alternative to DME (not Uber for car seat reasons and probably not Mears after that last showing)

You can get an Uber with a car seat in Orlando. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list after my disaster experience with Mears a couple weeks ago.

You can get an Uber with a car seat in Orlando. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list after my disaster experience with Mears a couple weeks ago.
Do you know if you can get an Uber with 2 car seats? That’s what we would need. I checked the app and you can select car seat but I did not see where you can select how many.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter