3 trips in 40 days: LET'S EAT! (tandem reviews): FLYING FISH CAFE! [updated 7/3/13]

Sorry your meal at HBD wasn't the best. The service there seems to be a big issue!

I've been contemplating going back just because I really likes one of my appetizers but am still unsure if its worth it for that!

Have never been tempted to try HBD and now after your review so glad that I never have

Hi, I've been lurking, and have a comment about your HBD meal. I am glad to read this, as I WAS planning to eat there for the first time this fall, but now...?????
I wanted the cobb salad and grapefruit cake, and it doesn't sound so good now. Thanks for the review. Back to Prime Time, I guess.
I also wanted to say what an adorable daughter you have!

Sorry HBD wasn't that great for you. We've been lucky to have some excellent service and meals there. Emme's grill cheese looks good to me, but that could just be your excellent photography.:goodvibes

When I got to Riverside I needed to eat something as I was starving!

I ordered the Cajun Chicken Sandwich with pasta salad. After dropping my bun on the ground I had to get a new bun.

The chicken was good and had a nice spice. The bun was hard and dry so I just ended up eating the chicken and veggies. The sauce was like a honey mustard seed sauce. It actually went well with the sandwich.

I loved the pasta salad! The pasta had nice veggies tossed in italian. It was just basic italian but it was very good! The veggies in the pasta salad were tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion!

Now onto Hollywood Brown Derby. We were about 30 minutes late for our reservation but the restaurant was dead and no one else was waiting so we only had to wait a little bit. We were seated in an awesome half circle booth!

The restaurant was gorgeous. I loved how it was split level. We were on the bottom level.

Menu!

See- not many people eating in the restaurant!

I didn't care for these rolls. They were a little too hard on the outside. I am like Emme and just like to eat the soft inside of the bread!

However, the butter was incredible. It was whipped butter and it was delicious! I think it had a nice amount of salt on it.

I ordered the famous Cobb salad as an appetizer, the smaller portion.

Cobb Salad - Made with finely chopped greens, turkey breast, bacon, egg, tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese, avocado, chives, and Cobb dressing. - $8.00

This was how it came out. I ordered it without blue cheese because I am not a huge stinky cheese fan.

I tossed the salad to mix it up.

Chopped up salad.

Let me begin my saying I love chopped salads. I had no issues with the fineness of greens in this salad. My issue was the dressing. I didn't care for it. I think it would have been better if it was a little more sweet but maybe it would be better with the blue cheese. You could honestly eat the salad on its own with no dressing and it would be good. Also, the avocado was disgusting. Do they actually cut their avocados on property or do they use those vacuum sealed avocados? Because this avocado was very bitter, almost sour. It was really gross.

I had no issue with our server but he definitely wasn't friendly. I think if you are a server at disney you need to be friendly and he wasn't. But I got everything I needed so I was okay with that.

For my entree I ordered the

Free Range Ashley Roasted Breast of Chicken - With Sweet Pepper, Chorizo and smoked Cheddar cheese over a Celery Root Puree, Coriander dusted Jumbo Asparagus and a roasted Red Pepper Sauce. - $30.00

I actually really liked this dish. It could have been a lot of hotter. This was only lukewarm and I like my food piping hot. I loved the celery root puree mixed with the red pepper sauce. The chicken had sweet peppers and chorizo wrapped up in it and that was very good. I loved how they cut the asparagus in half.

For dessert Patty and I split the Grapefruit Cake! This was one of the reasons I wanted to eat here so I couldn't resist.

A Brown Derby Original! Grapefruit Cake - Light layers of yellow cake with fresh grapefruit cream cheese icing. - $8.00

This was a very good dessert! I was surprised that it could be light but it was light. There was a frosting in between the cake layers that was a very light whipped frosting that was very good. I went well with the tart grapefruit layer.

I would get this dessert again!

Hollywood Brown Derby wasn't bad (with the exception of the avocado) but it wasn't amazing. I enjoyed trying it but it definitely is a "try it once and cross it off of my list" place. My goal is to try every Disney World eventually so this was one check off of my list! If someone wanted to go here again I would go with them but I won't be suggesting it.

awesome review & pics rachel!! i really love this tandem posting for this dining report. if only emme could type...she would have a lot to say about dinner too. :lmao:

So excited that you have started your reviews :cool1:
What a shame your server at HBD was a little bit 'cold' with you all.
We had a great lunch at HBD a couple of trips back but the service does seem to get some patchy reviews
Awesome photos as always :goodvibes

many thanks linda for the compliments!

our server definitely wasn't the highlight of our experience at HBD. it was kind of awkward at times when he would come to our table. i just wanted to hurry up, eat & get out of there. :headache:

Sorry your meal at HBD wasn't the best. The service there seems to be a big issue!

I've been contemplating going back just because I really likes one of my appetizers but am still unsure if its worth it for that!

i'm glad we got to try HBD. i'll probably not go back but at least i experienced it. if i had to pay 2 dining credits for my meal, i would have been upset. i can't believe it's a signature!

which appetizer is the one that you like??

Have never been tempted to try HBD and now after your review so glad that I never have

you got to try it once and then report back to us! :laughing:

maybe you will also get daniel as your server.

Hi, I've been lurking, and have a comment about your HBD meal. I am glad to read this, as I WAS planning to eat there for the first time this fall, but now...?????
I wanted the cobb salad and grapefruit cake, and it doesn't sound so good now. Thanks for the review. Back to Prime Time, I guess.
I also wanted to say what an adorable daughter you have!

the grapefruit cake was awesome. it was probably my favorite part of the meal. i would probably try the cobb salad again with the bleu cheese this time just to see if its any different. maybe we just had an off night at HBD.

i've never been to prime time. that's another place i have no interest in but am willing to try. maybe my opinion will change.

thank you for the comment about my daughter. i appreciate it. :littleangel:

Sorry HBD wasn't that great for you. We've been lucky to have some excellent service and meals there. Emme's grill cheese looks good to me, but that could just be your excellent photography.:goodvibes

maybe we just had an off night there. the meal wasn't terrible...our server just didn't make the meal any better. there was no happy sunshiney disney service with daniel this evening.

emme's grill cheese was just too big & grilled too long for a 3 year old to enjoy. the bread was a bit dried out which made it really hard. she loves grilled cheese sandwiches, just not this one.

and thank you for the photography comment. it means a lot as rachel & i were looking like complete idiots at each meal as we took pictures constantly. :laughing:

I love the fact that you are both reviewing on the same thread ...... double the fun!

Thanks ladies :goodvibes

the Tandem Reviews are great!

It sounds like neither of your entree's were served hot. Might have been something to do with the slow server...

Emmebear. I had the Crispy Phyllo Napolean of Bleu Affinee.
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=47962886&postcount=98

It was so good! Small but delicious!

Rachel. My husband and I also had the Cobb Salad but we got it with the drsg on the side. My husband has a seafood allergy and some drsg's have hidden seafood so we may have gotten a different drsg I can't recall.
It was good. The fine chop is unique but we enjoyed it. Our Avocado's didn't have any weird taste so it might have just been a bad batch.

I'm enjoying the tandem reviewing with Rachel. We had an absolute blast together at Disney & it was super nice to talk to another adult & take pictures together. No shame in our game! :)

Maybe we just had a really off night at hbd. The pork shop could have been resting too long which caused the cheese to harden & the meat cooked well done.

The app looks tasty!!

Up next, breakfast @ 1900 Park Fare.

Rachel will be starting the next review. Thought it would be great & alternate who starts each review. Team work! :)

I'm currently on a strict diet & exercise regimen so I am totally salivating & day dreaming about my meals last week. :(

We had 1900 Park Fare Breakfast booked originally for our last day but when we cancelled Akershus we moved it to our Epcot Day.

We almost cancelled this reservation but I really wanted them to try breakfast here because I have loved it both times i have been here!

We arrived about an hour and a half late and had to wait about 20 minutes. We took our picture and I gave them my camera to use!

Emme is actually smiling but looking the wrong way, haha. And I look horrible.

Emme did a penny machine while waiting.

Now one of the reasons I wanted to eat here was the bacon and the cheesy potatoes. Their bacon used to be the thick non Disney bacon. They also had the best cheesy potatoes that were so cheesy and delicious.

Here are some of the buffet pics.

Toast and jelly

Fruit, sticky buns, and bread pudding

French toast, pancakes, and oatmeal.

Pastries and more fruit.

Lobster eggs benedict, watermelon, vanilla sauce for bread pudding, "cheesy potatoes" and "bacon"

I must have went up to the buffet at the wrong time because the food is so empty!

Carved ham

Smoked salmon and yogurt.

Eggs, strawberry soup, and strawberries

Bacon and sausage

Okay- first plate.

The first disappointment was that they did not have real bacon anymore and their cheesy potatoes were not the same!!! Sooo bummed!!! The bacon was the gross flimsy disney bacon and the cheesy potatoes were way overcooked, dry, and hard. I was so mad because I was talking these things up and Disney let me down!

The lobster eggs benedict was much better than before with lots of sauce and runny eggs. They were made with a biscuit over english muffin but I still liked it. The ham was a little dry too but I still really enjoyed it! The eggs were good, I actually don't mind these watery scrambled eggs the more I eat them. The smoked salmon was good also.

2nd plate.

More favorites and fruit!!! I love their fruit here. They have the best watermelon, every time I have been it has been good.

Strawberry soup! OMG I love this stuff. It is so good. It is like liquid strawberry ice cream. So good. We made it at christmas and it was just as good.

Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Mary Poppins, Alice, and the Mad Hatter come around at breakfast. Good characters I think!

The Mad Hatter definitely had the best character interaction. He saw my shirt which was Monsters Inc and we talked about it and he asked if I would see the Monsters Laugh Floor at MK.

Anyways, it was an okay breakfast. I was pretty bummed about the cheesy potatoes and the bacon, but other than that I really enjoyed the rest of the buffet. It is only $20.99 so it is about the cheapest character breakfast buffet, which is a plus. I would go back but maybe not in a couple of trips.

Love the tandem HBD reviews. Sorry it wasn't spectacular. Gee, I've had an unfriendly waiter there as well! ;) I'm with Rachel about the rolls - I'd rather eat the soft inside par. That grapefruit cake looks good. It looks like Emme enjoyed her dinner-time entertainment. :upsidedow

The carved ham sitting out read to serve at 1900 PF is a good idea - rather than waiting for the chef to carve meat off the bone.

I didn't realize 1900 PF was that cheap as far as character meals go. It has been a couple years since we have been there but I'm thinking it is time to try it again. They still have the make your own omelet right??

Love the tandem HBD reviews. Sorry it wasn't spectacular. Gee, I've had an unfriendly waiter there as well! ;) I'm with Rachel about the rolls - I'd rather eat the soft inside par. That grapefruit cake looks good. It looks like Emme enjoyed her dinner-time entertainment. :upsidedow

The carved ham sitting out read to serve at 1900 PF is a good idea - rather than waiting for the chef to carve meat off the bone.

I didn't realize 1900 PF was that cheap as far as character meals go. It has been a couple years since we have been there but I'm thinking it is time to try it again. They still have the make your own omelet right??

did you say make your own omelet?! princess:

IMG_3844-2_zpsd70b4703.jpg

i will be starting my part of the review soon. :yay:

i never got to try the strawberry soup. :sad:

to those who are interested, rachel & i have both started our trip reports. we both took massive amount of pictures during the trip. it was really great to travel with someone who also loves to take pictures! :flower3:

rachel's trip report can be found HERE. :cheer2:

my trip report can be found HERE. :cheer2:

thanks for reading along everyone! this has been such a fun experience. pixiedust:

Did you have the same server as us?? Daniel or something? Yes 1900 PF is cheap! I think it is a good value. I am just bummed that they don't have the real bacon and good potatoes anymore! Yep they have the omelet station!

updated 4/20/13

Supercalifragilistic Breakfast @ 1900 Park Fare

IMG_1707-3_zpsf6964a13.jpg

i woke up pretty excited for the day. i couldn't believe i was hungry but alas, i was. after getting everyone ready, we headed for the bus.

IMG_3774-2_zps3df99d11.jpg

can i just say how awesome rachel was with emme? it's normally just me & emme on these trips & after reflecting back on our trips, i have no idea how i managed to do these trips alone especially with a jogging stroller. rachel was such a HUGE help & i got to enjoy disney differently this time because of all her help with emme.

after taking the overcrowded bus to magic kingdom, we decided to take the resort ferry to the grand floridian.

IMG_3785-2_zps529ba8d7.jpg

we have arrived....by boat!

IMG_1701-3_zpsa02eafb3.jpg

this fountain was so pretty.

IMG_1695-3_zps2dbf75bd.jpg

the very important jogging stroller essential for our trips to disney.

we made our way inside & checked into our ressie. we were late (i blame the bus) but we were seated in about 15-20 minutes.

IMG_3787-2_zps9cb26e20.jpg

rachel & i discussed this breakfast option at length. i was still in sticker shock over my $134.00 breakfast @ akershus with my parents. $134 for cheesy potatoes. we had akershus originally planned but i was still slightly bitter. rachel told me that 1900 park fare had decent bacon AND cheesy potatoes.

i thought it was a WIN WIN especially since we had never eaten here before. this was a vacation of firsts for all of us so 1900 park fare was the perfect choice.

IMG_1705-3_zpsfc66f4a6.jpg

i had been to 1900 park fare for dinner before. emme was a bit of a grump during that dinner as she was starting to get sick from all the wind that superstorm sandy had brought. i do remember that table having a whole bunch of stuff on it making it hard to manuever anything extra on the table. the extra things being camera & iphone.

IMG_3792-2_zpse0fb56f4.jpg

it was nice to have a pot of coffee awaiting us. i'm glad that was there because our server took about 10 minutes to finally greet us. emme kept repeating she was "hungry" & i didn't want to be rude & head to the buffet without being greeted. the last time i did that at akershus for lunch, the CM was really rude & brash after i helped myself to the buffet before he greeted us (which took about 20 minutes after being seated).

our server brought asked if we would like some of the yummy juice.

IMG_1713-2_zps83756410.jpg

why yes. yes i would like some of the yummy POG juice.

speaking of drinks, i asked for an adult beverage menu. it's never too early for a bloody mary, right? it's totally healthy.

IMG_3794-2_zpse771cede.jpg

IMG_3795-2_zpsaeefa5eb.jpg

IMG_3796-2_zps499afafc.jpg

the bloody mary was a vast improvement over the semi-warm beer i had at hollywood brown derby the night prior. it wasn't too spicy (which i was grateful for as tomatoes are quite acidic) & the olives were yummy. i was a happy camper.

IMG_1727-3_zpsff73a96b.jpg

IMG_3823-2_zps112b57c7.jpg

check out the frizz already happening to my hair. it was super humid this day.

here is emme's plate of food:

IMG_1719-3_zps46ec6f29.jpg

IMG_1716-3_zps3e5849d3.jpg

she LOVED the blueberry yogurt & the muffin. the muffin was a nice size. we call muffins "cupcakes" so let me say again that she loved her "cupcake".

here is my first plate:

IMG_1722-3_zps1c4273f6.jpg

Lobster Eggs Benedict, Carved Ham, Smoked Salmon w/ capers & red onions & Cheesy Potatoes

IMG_1724-3_zps84cd6dae.jpg

nothing says sexy like a runny yolk & hollandaise sauce.

IMG_1726-3_zpsddce48af.jpg

the lobster eggs benedict were made with biscuits here. is this a 1900 park fare thing or were they just improvising? i didn't see much lobster in the sauce but the egg oozed perfectly. the biscuit sopped up the yolk well but i missed the crunchy texture of the english muffin.

the smoked salmon was really fresh & tasty. i love me some smoked salmon with capers. i also love red onions & despite having massive red onion breath afterwards, it was delicious.

to my disappointment, the cheesy potatoes were really dry. i was so sad. i think rachel felt immediate guilt for the dry cheesy potatoes & the puny disney bacon as she had talked it up so much. i almost regretted not being @ akershus for the cheesy potatoes but that regret disappeared when i remembered that 1900 park fare was 1/2 the price. cheesy potatoes, we shall meet again.

some of emme's friends made a visit to our table:

IMG_1735-3_zps07f2bb03.jpg

emme's [kinda]looking at the camera!

IMG_1745-3_zps4fed01b3.jpg

she had no idea who mary poppins was but she's looking at the camera. i'll take it.

IMG_3862-2_zps8d43fb4a.jpg

we love the mad hatter! we met him for the first time at MNSSHP last year. he was so funny & it was by far the best character interaction of the meal. you like how we were photobombed?!

oh yeah, back to the food:

IMG_1751-3_zps005927cb.jpg

there was an omelette station as well. the ingredients were very fresh but the omelette was over cooked. it was a waste of fresh eggs. i like to take advantage of real eggs whenever i see them at disney. the powdered scrambled eggs kind of gross me out. i did eat the inside of the omelette.

anyone a fan of jacques pepin?? i adore that man. he's awesome. i stumbled upon his omelette recipe a few years ago. this is my favorite way to make an omelette. it is so creamy & delicious. you can see a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57afEWn-QDg

more eggs benedict on my plate. yummy!

tigger came over for a second meet & greet.

IMG_3849-2_zps6fbd0cf5.jpg

he wanted rachel's attention and was covering her phone. she took a picture & said she would instagram him. so cute!

IMG_3851-2_zpsb9f7228e.jpg

i took a self portrait with tigger.

character meet & greets are tough on me. i'm so busy trying to get a picture that i don't really get to enjoy me food. but from what i ate, i did enjoy the meal at 1900 park fare. it was a great price & a great start to our day. our server was pretty good (minus the long wait) & i loved the bloody mary. we used my TIW card for the meal.

emme was full & happy. i still longed for some cheesy potatoes after this meal but maybe it was the universe's way of telling me i really didn't need all those carbs.

i'm glad i got to finally try 1900 park fare for breakfast!

Did you have the same server as us?? Daniel or something? Yes 1900 PF is cheap! I think it is a good value. I am just bummed that they don't have the real bacon and good potatoes anymore! Yep they have the omelet station!

No, his name started with an R... hmmm... maybe there is more than 1 grumpy server at HBD! Too bad about the bacon!

Patty: Bloody Mary's are a great way to start (or end!) the day! ;) How awesome that you had another set of hands to help with Emme during the trip. Rachel looks completely at home pushing that stroller. Great breakfast photos!

Great review! I had so much fun helping out. It is totally different being there with a kid but I loved it! I love kids so much, just not sure if I want one of my own;)

I did feel guilty the two things I talked up weren't there anymore! Stupid disney.

Lol as soon as I saw that photobomb picture I thought that inside my head and then i saw you wrote it! That was funny.

It's a very strange thing ..... as someone who pretty much enjoys every alcoholic beverage that has ever been created, I just don't like Bloody Mary's :(
Not a fan of tomato juice and that's what does it
I would have happily kept you all company with a mimosa though :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter