3 trips in 40 days: LET'S EAT! (tandem reviews): FLYING FISH CAFE! [updated 7/3/13]

Just stumbled upon your thread. Your a talented food reviewer and photographer. You should provide a link to that chicken recipe (I know I want it, and others will too!)
Emme is adorable. I bet she'll lover her personalized gifts.
I can't believe that table spread was made at the condo (that's a lot of groceries).
Can't wait for your updated posts!

Cute video!!

Rachel: Sounds like you may need a cocktail by the time you get there. The monorail crawl may start sooner rather than later. ;)

Oh my gosh I am going to definitely need a drink after this! I am dreading going to the airport to hear what they have to say. I mean they can't just cancel my flight and not put me on another one, right??

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow Rachel and will keep my fingers crossed that you are able to leave on schedule. Keep me updated please. :goodvibes

Thanks!!

So Southwest finally put out a travel advisory for Minneapolis at about 5pm. I called to see if I could get put on a flight tonight but they didn't have any open seats.:( So now I have to wait till tomorrow and see what happens. It is all up to God/Southwest! I jut want to get there in time to eat dinner. I don't care about Fantasmic anymore I just want Disney food!!!

Oh my gosh I am going to definitely need a drink after this! I am dreading going to the airport to hear what they have to say. I mean they can't just cancel my flight and not put me on another one, right??

Thanks!!

So Southwest finally put out a travel advisory for Minneapolis at about 5pm. I called to see if I could get put on a flight tonight but they didn't have any open seats.:( So now I have to wait till tomorrow and see what happens. It is all up to God/Southwest! I jut want to get there in time to eat dinner. I don't care about Fantasmic anymore I just want Disney food!!!

Show up early and try to get standby on any flight....People don't show up and you can grab their seat.

Jill in CO

I always thought Emme was adorable in still pics but she is a doll on video!

Jill in CO

thanks jill! it's so funny she forgot the last 4 letters. :rotfl: close enough especially when english is her second language!

Cute video!!

Rachel: Sounds like you may need a cocktail by the time you get there. The monorail crawl may start sooner rather than later. ;)

thank you! i have 2 bottles of wine already packed & ready to go. going to grab some blue moon at the grocery store when i stock up on some fruit, milk & yogurt for emme. rachel can/will take full advantage. :thumbsup2

Subbing so I don't miss anything when you get back.

Umm, can I come to your house for dinner??:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Those are ADORABLE! Do they come in grown-up sizes?:lmao::lmao:

Can't wait to see your pics from your trip.

you are welcome to dinner any time!

i'm sure ann can create you a shirt! she made her own ridiculously cute outfit for the half marathon she ran.

Just stumbled upon your thread. Your a talented food reviewer and photographer. You should provide a link to that chicken recipe (I know I want it, and others will too!)
Emme is adorable. I bet she'll lover her personalized gifts.
I can't believe that table spread was made at the condo (that's a lot of groceries).
Can't wait for your updated posts!

thank you for the comments!

i owe pumbaa that recipe. there are plenty online but it's not how i make it. :crazy2: but it just might have to do cause some of the ingredients may be hard to come by.

that spread was from dinner at mom's house. what we had at the condo was about 1/2 that amount...still a ton of food!

Very cute video! :)

thank you!!! princess:

positive vibes & wishes for rachel....i think she will make it in time. then we can go to hollywood brown derby & watch fantastmic! like we planned. this is disney after all! dreams do come true (cheeeeesy i know) but snow isn't suppose to happen in april. :upsidedow

as i was finishing packing, i almost forgot to pack my gift cards that i have been collecting over the past few weeks. to those who don't know, you can get 5% off disney gift cards at target using your target red card! i have a target debit card & i love it. it's pretty awesome. if you fill 5 prescriptions, you also get an additional 5% off coupon which could potentially save you 10% off disney gift cards. the savings are small but it's better than nothing! i'm going to add the gift cards to my room balance & charge our meals to the room as i will be applying my TIW discount to our meals.

image_zps9d2ed632.jpg

i'm officially packed for our trip! time to hit the sack. i'm so tired. :sad:

and thanks to everyone who is keeping up with us in this thread! it's going to be a super fun trip....rain or shine!

pixiedust:

Looking forward to the upcoming reviews. I hope Rachel is (or will be) boarding her flight soon.

Rachel took an earlier flight which just landed in Chicago! Her original flight was non-stop. Here's hoping the weather in Chicago is better for flying. She says it is a little rainy. Fingers crossed for on time arrival (which is 20 minutes earlier than original flight)

If all goes well, we will be meeting at port Orleans riverside at about 530 so we can check out the royal guest room together!

Yep I'm on my flight to Orlando!!! So happy thanks everyone for the well wishes. I am just a pessimist I guess!

Best part is my original flight is 2 hrs delayed and now I get in 20 min early!! I skipped out on work today but it's worth it.

Yep I'm on my flight to Orlando!!! So happy thanks everyone for the well wishes. I am just a pessimist I guess!

Best part is my original flight is 2 hrs delayed and now I get in 20 min early!! I skipped out on work today but it's worth it.

Woot Woot! :cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

Have a safe trip!

Jill in CO

Just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed your posts. I was a single mom for 10 years and I tried to do alot with my son like you do with your daughter..those are memories that will always be with you. It is nice to see a single mom that takes care of herself (becoming a nurse) and who loves to spend time with her DD also. I have so much respect for you..

Someone is really cute! :goodvibes

I saw on the 'live' thread Rachel made it! yay! Enjoy the trip pixiedust:

thank you!!!

Just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed your posts. I was a single mom for 10 years and I tried to do alot with my son like you do with your daughter..those are memories that will always be with you. It is nice to see a single mom that takes care of herself (becoming a nurse) and who loves to spend time with her DD also. I have so much respect for you..

:cloud9:

thank you so much for the very nice compliment. it has been extremely difficult but very rewarding to raise my daughter without her dad being present or active in her life (physically, emotionally or financially)...a choice he made on his own. i love going to disney with her as she has such a fun time. it's awesome to experience disney through the eyes of a child. kudos to you as well! :worship: i know how difficult it is! just keep your head up & be proud of raising your son!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

emme & i are back in jacksonville and last i spoke to rachel, she was waiting on her connecting flight home. i am very much sun burnt and kind of bummed that our vacation is over. we had such a fantastic time & i'm not going to eat for the next 2 weeks as i ate waaaaay to much at disney. :laughing:

we will be starting our tandem dining reviews soon as well as our individual trip reports. barb has been fantastic posting our updates on her thread but please check this space tomorrow as i will be starting the review & rachel will join in. :cheer2:

for now, i end this post with our last picture with rachel as we boarded the bus for magic kingdom this morning for one last hurrah!

image_zps83cb63d7.jpg

updated 4/16/13

MEET ME AT THE DERBY [or not]??
DINNER @ HOLLYWOOD BROWN DERBY

we finally arrived at port orleans riverside. rachel beat us by 30 minutes. i could not believe she actually made it to disney & she was early!

image_zps78640626.jpg

we were staying in the royal guest room & the room was absolutely gorgeous! emme looooved the room. there were so many things to look at. i am currently doing a TRIP REPORT of my three trips & will be starting this trip report tomorrow. rachel is also doing a trip report as well.

IMG_1562-2_zpsa858370b.jpg

you can see rachel & i in the bathroom mirrors.

but now, onwards to our meal @ hollywood brown derby.

IMG_1581-3_zpscada371b.jpg

we took the resort bus to hollywood studios. the sky was overcast & it was a tad bit humid. my tummy was grumbling and i was pretty excited to eat & have a cold beer. HBD was never on my radar to try but we were going to see fantasmic (or at least planned too) & decided to try out HBD.

IMG_1580-3_zps7f0a9703.jpg

we arrived to HBD & checked in. we waited about 10 minutes before we were seated. emme had her first tiny meltdown as she wanted the minnie princess hat. she's been wanting this hat for the last 3 trips but i had a hard time giving up $29.95 for it. she was in her tinkerbell outfit so she decided to change her mind about the hat & wanted this really "not so pretty" tinkerbell doll. after i told her "no", the meltdown ensued.

luckily for emme, she had some pixie dust sprinkled her way as a CM at HBD gave her a light up tinkerbell toy that attaches to a straw. meltdown over & happy emme reappeared.

IMG_1586-3_zpsba433216.jpg

IMG_1584-3_zps0d45e86b.jpg

our server daniel arrived to our table about 10 minutes after we were sat. i don't know if it was just his personality but he was very uninviting, disinterested & very matter of fact. maybe the hospitality industry is not the right choice for him but we were going to make the most of our dinner.

my first impression of HBD is that it had a very cool but hip "old timey" vibe to it. it wasn't very busy this night & i was very hungry so we ordered fairly quickly.

IMG_1600-3_zps123ddb02.jpg

SAM ADAMS SEASONAL BEER

it was a bit humid this night & i really wanted an ice cold beer. as you can see from the glass, the beer wasn't very cold. i was disappointed. the beer wasn't warm by any means but it definitely wasn't cold.

and then, bread service.

IMG_1596-3_zps7c47a317.jpg

the bread is the same rolls they serve at BOG. the rolls were very warm. emme at the insides of at least 6 of these rolls.

IMG_1594-3_zps30adff2b.jpg

i love soft butter like this. it's so easy to spread & you don't have to fight putting on cold butter on a warm roll. just spread & eat. i enjoyed the butter & bread very much.

rachel ordered the cobb salad as her appetizer. she was kind of enough to share it with me.

IMG_1604-3_zps7cffedb4.jpg

Our Famous Cobb Salad - with finely chopped greens, turkey breast, egg, bacon, tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese, avocado, chives and Cobb dressing - appetizer $8.00

rachel asked for no bleu cheese in her cobb salad. i've read a multitude of reviews about this particular cobb salad. perhaps i had too many expectations for this salad but i thought it was just "ok". it definitely wasn't terrible but it was not life changing as i've read. maybe the bleu cheese would have brought another depth of flavor. who knows. also, the avocados tasted a bit off. maybe my mind was playing tricks on me but i thought it kind of tasted like taboulleh at times. i'm glad i decided against ordering this as an entree.

IMG_3715-2_zps72734ca5.jpg

IMG_3673-2_zps45304464.jpg

for emme's entree, she wanted a grill cheese sandwich & got this:

IMG_1607-3_zps237d82a0.jpg

Grilled Cheese on Whole Wheat Bread - with sliced apples $6.00

IMG_1618-3_zpse3ed1c0b.jpg

see that face? that's the face of someone wasting $6.00 & not eating dinner. the sandwich was a triple decker and just very well toasted. it was too large & too hard for emme to eat. i took off the first layer of toasted bread but she lost all interest in the sandwich. lucky for her, there were thin slices of apples to eat.

for my entree, i ordered:

IMG_1608_zps646c4b7a.jpg

Sterling Silver Pork Chop - with smoked gouda and heirloom apple slaw served over potato hash with bacon, Napa cabbage, sweet peppers and a cider jus $33.00

IMG_1609_zps452a8e66.jpg

IMG_1620-3_zps0ac76c4c.jpg

the pork chop was ginormous especially compared to rachel's entree. the pork chop itself was beautiful but the hash underneath the pork chop was complete hot mess. it was pretty messy to look at. the plate needed another color but brown on.

the smoked gouda wasn't ooey or gooey but had melted hard on top of the pork chop. i'm not sure if that was intentional or if my entree was sitting in the window & the cheese cooled down.

the green apples were tart & it was a great combination with the pork chop. the pork chop was cooked "well done" & i wasn't given the option of it being cooked any other way. it wasn't as juicy or as tender as the pork chop i've had at california grill but it was tasty.

it was a bit difficult to cut through the hardened cheese to get to the pork. the pork chop slid all over the potato hash making the plate look super sloppy. what can i say? i like pretty food & this entree was definitely not pretty. however, my disney standards, i thought for $33.00, it was a pretty large portion.

IMG_1605-3_zpsc6562071.jpg

IMG_3708-2_zpsfbb69ee5.jpg

emme & rachel playing with their dinglehoppers.

after our entrees, we decided to share a dessert and ordered this:

IMG_1624-3_zps3a69645a.jpg

Grapefruit Cake - Light Layers of Yellow Cake with fresh Grapefruit-Cream Cheese Icing $8.00

IMG_1622-3_zps1ff6550e.jpg

suprisingly, the dessert was not as sweet as i had anticipated. it was very light & fluffy. i loved the grapefruit cream cheese icing. it was a very pretty dessert. i'm a huge proponent of all things being edible on my plate so even though i'm not quite sure the garnish was suppose to be eaten, i did take a bite. and yep, it tasted like candied grapefruit.

emme ordered:

IMG_3702_zpsf5f8346c.jpg

Vanilla ice cream

emme loves her ice cream.

we used my TIW card for this meal:

IMG_3710-2_zpsf20a0291.jpg

i wasn't very excited about HBD after the meal. i don't think i want to return in the near or distant future. i wish our CM was slightly enthusiastic. he was very efficient & our drinks were never empty but he just was not personable. it's not how i wanted to start our trip but hey, we're at disney & life is good.

rachel called HBD a place to just knock off the list. it wasn't exceptional, the food was decent, the ambiance was calming but i think our server really did impact our overall experience.

after dinner, emme refused to watch fantasmic, even though we've seen it before. so we headed to TSM which had a 5 minute wait. SCORE!

IMG_1630-3_zps96cce55b.jpg

and then we had a less than 5 minute to meet our friends:

IMG_3759_zps0b2e7e2c.jpg

up next, RACHEL'S DINNER EXPERIENCE @ HBD!

So excited that you have started your reviews :cool1:
What a shame your server at HBD was a little bit 'cold' with you all.
We had a great lunch at HBD a couple of trips back but the service does seem to get some patchy reviews
Awesome photos as always :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter