3 trips in 40 days: LET'S EAT! (tandem reviews): FLYING FISH CAFE! [updated 7/3/13]

Almost to our presidential suite at the bonnet creek! I'm so excited to be treating my parents but even happier my emme is feeling better. :)

updated 3/7/13

i almost cancelled this trip as emme became sick pretty quickly on monday evening. after almost 3 days of fever (i was thinking it was a virus running its course), i took her into the doc & she was negative for the flu. we got the clearance to leave for our trip & despite the continued low grade fever, puffy eyes, runny nose & nagging cough, we left for disney after i completed my last shift at 4pm today.

i booked the 2 bedroom presidential suite at bonnet creek. we are in tower 6 which has amazing views! our suite/condo is absolutely beautiful. we have so much room & we are so close to all the parks. i love it here!

i just wanted to post some pictures...i'm too excited to sleep! :laughing:

photo26_zps9049b522.jpg

the view from our balcony.

and here are my cute parents & emme relaxing on the sofa.

576092_10151347225319702_1599793028_n_zps6eb1305a.jpg

my mom is an amazing cook & since my father is a diabetic, she prepared lots of yummyness that we brought with us as we have a full kitchen to use.

tonight for dinner, we had korean food which included bulgogi (marinated meat) which we ate in a lettuce "wrap" that we call "ssahm". it's very healthy & very delicious.

photo22_zpsdf1aa7d4.jpg

Bulgogi
[this would be the perfect time for smell o vision or scratch & sniff screens]

484958_10151347245719702_704141937_n_zpsb96c256d.jpg

Bulgogi ssahm

this is the perfect bite of food. it's fresh, warm, crisp, comforting & mouth watering delicious. in addition the the lettuce & meat, there is red bean paste, rice (a mix of white, barley & black rice) & i topped it with the dried cuttlefish (that's the bright brown object on top of the meat).

we eat like this every day so sometimes the food at disney disappoints but sometimes, the food is really awesome.

i'm off to wonderland now....tomorrow me & the cheesy potatoes of akershus are meeting again. :yay:

i'm so excited to experience disney as an adult with my parents & daughter. i feel so blessed to be here with them. :flower3:

updated 3/8/13

photo28_zps772e522e.jpg

today, my parents, emme & i spent the day at epcot. well, we dropped my parents off at bonnet creek at about 230 & then emme & i headed back to epcot at about 5pm to partake in food, food & more food!

but before i post my favorite & worst bite of food, here's a picture of emme & cinderella during our breakfast at akershus.

384782_10151348245524702_1611161413_n_zps8217887a.jpg

cinderella was present this morning instead of jasmine.

i spent a total of $60 worth of food & beer at the epcot flower & garden festival today. i took a ton of photos with my dslr but the ones posted here are from my iphone.

here is my favorite bite of food:

photo31_zpsccaee422.jpg

Shrimp and Stone Ground Grits with Andouille Sausage, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes and Cilantro - $5.50

this tasty dish was found in the FLORIDA FRESH booth. for $5.50, you get a really big portion of food with 3 jumbo shrimp cooked perfectly. the grits were creamy, the gravy was seasoned well & the corn & tomatoes were great contrast of texture. i also loved the sausage in this. and for $5.50, this was a total bargain. i could eat an entire bowl of this. it was very delicious.

the worst bite of food:

photo32_zps921b080c.jpg

Asparagi con Aragosta all'Ortolana (Green asparagus, lobster, garden cocktail sauce) - $7.75

this dish is from Italy Pavilion - Primavera Kitchen. on paper, this item looked divine. however, look at this plate of food. it tasted worse than it looked. i regretted getting this dish as i saw them plating it. it was pretty terrible. during f&w, the lobster roll was so delicious that i wanted to give this lobster dish a chance. the asparagus were over cooked and not crunchy, the lobster was rubbery & in small pieces and the sauce (there was too much of it) brought nothing to the dish. i really want me $7.75 back. i really wished i would have ordered the lasagna instead.

photo29_zps1127bb4a.jpg

emme, max & lotso!

i will post lots of pictures when i start my dining review next week. tomorrow is our magic kingdom day! :banana:

updated 3/9/13

after spending the morning & afternoon @ magic kingdom, my parents threw in the towel & headed back to the condo. emme & i headed over to epcot to eat some yummy snacks at the flower & garden festival.

here is my favorite bite of food:

photo35_zpse8060f00.jpg

Mexico Pavilion - Jardin de Fiestas: Tostada de Jaiba (Crab tostada served with Chipotle mayonnaise and Valentina salsa) - $5.50

OMG...this tostada was EPIC. the amount of blue crab is ridiculous. the tostada was fresh (the lime was perfect!) & the crab was soooo tasty. at $5.50, this was a total value in my opinion compared to some of the items that i've tried (i.e. the really terrible lobster/asparagus dish from italy). i really wanted a second tostada but had to refrain as i wanted to try a few more dishes.

here is my worst bite of food:

photo34_zpsee813c27.jpg

Germany Pavilion - Bauernmarkt Farmer's Market: Savory Bread Pudding with Spring Peas and Wild Mushroom Ragout - $3.75

i really wanted to like this dish. i even ate half the huge portion in hoping i would like this dish. i love mushrooms but this tasted like cream of mushroom on steroids. it was very salty to the point where i thought it was almost inedible even though i forced down half. the mushrooms in this dish was very generous but i just wished it wasn't so salty. but at $3.75, i wasn't as perturbed as i was with the $7.75 lobster/asparagus dish from italy.

and i'm ending this post with this:

photo33-2_zps3ad13601.jpg

i totally got sunburned in 70 degree weather. :upsidedow

dining report next week! thanks for reading along. :grouphug:

I think the reason I want to try that bread pudding is because of the noodles and the peas! The peas look so good and so do the noodles.

Wow, the Korean food looks better than the Disney food. :) I love Bulgogi...I should go get some this week. :)

Jill in CO

rachel09985 said:
I think the reason I want to try that bread pudding is because of the noodles and the peas! The peas look so good and so do the noodles.

I think there's all mushrooms on that bread pudding. It was a mushroom ragout. I'm willing to try it again, hoping it don't be too salty. Can't wait until our adventure!

jedijill said:
Wow, the Korean food looks better than the Disney food. :) I love Bulgogi...I should go get some this week. :)

Jill in CO

I agree! I wish I could bring my mom to Disney on every trip as she's a fantastic cook. I'd save a ton of money on food! :)

i totally wish there was a disney rewards program! that would be so awesome.

Disney hotels are outrageous especially since you spend so little time in them. I've gotten great rates on values with my AP discount ($69 for all star movies & pop) but for the most part, they are crazy expensive & small. We splurged on port Orleans royal guest bedroom as Rachel & I are splitting it but its expensive still...however, might as well experience it once, right? :)

Lately, I've been staying off site & have lucked out on Hotwire & VRBO as I have a car & the hotel is just minutes away. Sometimes I will get free parking (depending on the mood of the parking ticket cashier) but I don't mind paying the $14 as I save $$ & time with staying offsite & using my car. I love the freedom of just getting in my car to leave whenever I want. I did the buses once & it wasn't for me.

My dad is diabetic so we will be cooking in our condo at bonnet creek. I booked that listing using VRBO & saved a bundle. My stay in the 2 BR presidential suite/condo is cheaper than my stay at port Orleans by $300. That's nuts!

The trip with Rachel is going to be outrageously fun! Emme talks about her all the time. I am so excited for it. I'm trying to convince her to cruise with us...I'm a Disney pusher..,haha!

Thanks for reading along & the wonderful comments about my family. I am truly blessed & forever grateful.

If you have an annual pass ...... you get free parking regardless of where you stay. Just show them your pass and you won't have to pay :thumbsup2

If you have an annual pass ...... you get free parking regardless of where you stay. Just show them your pass and you won't have to pay :thumbsup2

actually, that's not true. i have a seasonal AP and parking is not included. i think free parking is only included with premium AP.

there are times when the CM's don't care and will let me park for free. that happened this weekend when we were going to epcot. :)

actually, that's not true. i have a seasonal AP and parking is not included. i think free parking is only included with premium AP.

there are times when the CM's don't care and will let me park for free. that happened this weekend when we were going to epcot. :)

Ah, I didn't think about the seasonal one. We had the regular AP and they always let us through. We have DVC now, so we always stay on property so I never have to think about it any more.

Looking forward to more of your amazing food photos and your absolutely precious little girl. Sooooo cute !!

updated 3/10/13

PRINCESS STORYBOOK DINING @ AKERSHUS

photo45_zpsdfb4ed36.jpg

after a rough night of sleep, we were all running late for breakfast @ akershus. both my mom & emme were sick & my dad forgot to bring his insulin. needless to say, we were super late getting to our ADR. it's not how i envisioned starting our disney trip together but we finally made it at 11am. i know the rush in getting to epcot really affected our moods & i felt bad for my parents as they were trying to keep up with me & a jogging stroller.

we didn't have to wait very long & i then realized that there were other people eating after us...so we weren't too late.

photo36-2_zps84906b60.jpg

i've never seen this belle before. she wasn't the friendliest of belle's & you can tell from emme's face that she totally wasn't feeling it.

onwards to my date with some cheesy potatoes...

i think overall, it was a hectic day at akershus. our CM was definitely frazzled & looked tired. it was the end of the breakfast rush so i understood. she took our drink orders and we all hit the cold buffet.

photo37-2_zpsca9cfc79.jpg

photo38-2_zps650ae2f1.jpg

IMG_8675-3_zpsaaf76e41.jpg

this would be my dad's plate. you can clearly see he's white carb deprived at home as he chose a bagel out of all the things he could have eaten. he also kind of hid his croissant behind his salmon so my mom couldn't "see" it. :rotfl:

and the princess processional started.

IMG_8660-3_zps71aca2ff.jpg

IMG_8662-3_zpse04c04d2.jpg

she was a very pretty cinderella.

IMG_8671-3_zps263e3763.jpg

after the processional (we had 2 during our meal), the CM brings over the food, which is served family style.

IMG_8680-3_zps44f8d2a6.jpg

photo39-2_zpsa9096aad.jpg

and then emme's friends came by to say hello.

IMG_8684-3_zps66bf5426.jpg

ariel & a non-caring emme.

IMG_8694-3_zps267ba8a4.jpg

IMG_8702-3_zps8073d01f.jpg

so cute!

IMG_8705-3_zps4e1eb697.jpg

emme really took to sleeping beauty during this breakfast.

my mom started to crack up when she saw snow white skipping to our table.

IMG_8718-3_zps0b7c73be.jpg

IMG_8721-3_zpse90a34b5.jpg

last but not least...

IMG_8727-3_zpsa79f775a.jpg

between the hustle & bustle of the character interaction & trying to get emme to eat, i didn't get to enjoy the first batch of cheesy potatoes. they were cold when i finally got to them. so i asked the CM if i could have a second order.

and here it is:

IMG_8715-3_zpscda1115d.jpg

CHEESY POTATOES!

the larger chunks of potato were in this batch as well. the potatoes were as good as my last visit. i wanted to devour the entire thing but i could feel my mom's piercing eyes staring at me & thinking, "do you really need to eat that entire portion?!" :lmao:

so, i settled for half.

speaking of my mom, here are my cute parents. this is their first trip back to disney in 20 years!

photo41-2_zpsd2feacc1.jpg

they have been married 36 years.

after breakfast was finished, we decided to walk off the breakfast and take a look at all the topiaries around epcot.

but first....

photo42-2_zps9cecc955.jpg

emme loves her papa.

IMG_8750-2_zps89ffd468.jpg

IMG_8771-2_zps4e91ca03.jpg

IMG_8779-2_zpsdb7b3039.jpg

so typically, it's just emme & i on our trips. when i received the bill for akershus (3 adults, 1 infant), i was in total sticker shock. the meal was $134.00 which included a 20% discount ($26.00) & an 18% tip ($22.00). that's a whole bunch of money for some cheesy potatoes. i'm still a bit bitter about the price for breakfast. i know it's a character driven meal but dang, $134.00. i just wasn't mentally prepared for the total.

however, emme loves the princesses & we did get a another of picture of emme & belle (again, emme's not looking at the camera) . but i think i might just give akershus a break for a few months....or until i stop being bitter about the $134.00 bill. HA HA.

up next, FLOWER & GARDEN snacks & drinks!

updated 3/11/13

FLOWER & GARDEN: Part 1

IMG_8947-3_zpsfad48967.jpg

after our breakfast at akershus, my family & i walked around epcot. the topiaries were absolutely magnificent! the weather also absolutely perfect for a day at epcot.

my parents were getting a bit tired & wanted to head back to the condo. but not before some pictures with the beautiful flowers.

IMG_8791-3_zps820abcde.jpg

IMG_8792-3_zps477c6c42.jpg

IMG_8783-3_zpse7797b5b.jpg

we were late for our breakfast ADR so we didn't get to really stop & see the topiaries at the entrance.

IMG_8919-3_zps90b43512.jpg

my parents....aren't they cute??

IMG_8908-3_zps04466561.jpg

we headed back to the condo so emme could take a quick nap. unfortunately, she did not nap & then we hopped back onto the bus for epcot. emme then decided it was time to take a nap. ha ha. this worked out great as it would give me quiet time to stuff my face at the festival! i was meeting my friend who also has a 3 year old...so together, we would be eatings lots of food, drink yummy beer & push our strollers. SCORE!

as i made my way to the world showcase, i took a few more pictures.

IMG_8951-3_zps8aca06da.jpg

IMG_8954-3_zpsf970e73b.jpg

i love love loved the reflection in the water. the flowers were also so brightly colored...absolutely beautiful. on the next day when i took the monorail to epcot from mk, the view from the monorail looking down at these flowers was so stunning.

AND NOW TO THE FOOD!!

i was meeting my friend at the beer stand next to rose & crown at 6pm. i was early so i decided to get a bite to eat as i was starving. breakfast was at 11am & i hadn't eaten anything since.

IMG_8960-3_zps7dd18daf.jpg

IMG_8961-3_zpsdca8ae42.jpg

i decided on this:

IMG_8955-3_zps5a41f0c2.jpg

Baked Goat's Brie with Kumquat Chutney - $4.50

IMG_8958-3_zps7879860e.jpg

Baked Goat's Brie with Kumquat Chutney - $4.50

this was absolutely heavenly. i am a huge fan of brie. the brie was baked in a flakey & buttery puff pastry. the brie was ooey & gooey & very savory. the kumquat chutney was both tart & sweet. combined together, it was absolutely scrumptious. the portion was enough to share with another person & since i had no one to share it with, i ate most of it by myself. can't waste food, right? i loved this dish. it was a great start to the festival.

i was meeting two friends & my friend matt brought me an ice cold stella. i love the pours at epcot. they pour the stella right to the brim. it's a very nice pour especially for a $9.00 beer. you really get your money's worth.

photo28-2_zps724f0910.jpg

ice cold stella & our friend captain hook.

....speaking of captain hook:

IMG_8963-3_zpsc52c6784.jpg

and captain hook is afraid of this guy:

IMG_8965-3_zps9e8941ba.jpg

this is my friend matt. i've known him for 8 years. he's all grow'd up now.

541412_10151348764764702_1505532325_n_zps377f13d9.jpg

onwards to good ole america.

IMG_8966-3_zps6129e954.jpg

i'm not a huge bbq fan but the pulled pork sandwich was calling my name.

IMG_8973-3_zps1a2b2b53.jpg

Pulled Pig Slider with Cole Slaw - $5.50

photo47_zps0ac7401a.jpg

Pulled Pig Slider with Cole Slaw - $5.50 + Liberty Ale from Anchor Brewing Company, San Francisco, CA (India Pale Ale) - $3.50

the pulled pork slider was HUGE! i gave half of my sandwich to matt as i wanted to make room for some more food. i got the 3oz pour of the IPA & it was a perfect match with the pulled pork slider. the crunch of the cole slaw was a great contrast to the pork. one small gripe: i wish the bun was toasted. the bun & the meat had about the same texture when chewing so the crust of a grilled bun would have made this an almost perfect sandwich.

my friend mike got the Smoked Beef Brisket with Collard Greens and Jalapeno Corn Bread - $6.75 & Rocky Road Brownie Mousse - $3.00 & said that everything was very tasty.

IMG_9014_zps781277ae.jpg

we made a stop to play some drums. max & emme had a super fun time together!

next, i made a stop in morocco.

IMG_8968-3_zpsed8c9c0b.jpg

Harissa and Lemon Confit Chicken Drumettes with Chermoula and Cucumber Salad - $5.00

when i saw harissa, i got pretty excited. finally, something spicy! but to my disappointment, this was pretty bland. the chermoula & cucumber salad was also flavorless but had a nice crunch to it. the chicken needed much more harissa. i would have been happy if they had a bottle of harissa as a condiment to add on top of the drumstick. this was a drumstick and not a drumette. it was a nice size...just unfortunate that it was flavorless.

after the delicious pork slider, i made my way to italy.

photo32_zps921b080c.jpg

Asparagi con Aragosta all'Ortolana (Green asparagus, lobster, garden cocktail sauce) - $7.75

on paper, this dish looked like a total winner. but in actuality, this was the worst thing i tried at the festival. the asparagus was tiny & soggy. there was 2 small pieces of lobster. to make things worse, there was so much cocktail sauce that you could not taste anything else. the dish was also served cold. this was the most expensive thing i ate & i was the most disappointed.

i had linda's lobster roll during food & wine and i was really hoping that this would be on the level of the lobster roll. i guess it's my fault for having such high expectations but look at the plate of food. it tasted as unappetizing as it looked. two thumbs way down from me.

i paired this with Birra Del Borgo - Rubus Lamponi (Specialty Wild Fruit Ale) - $10.00. i thought the ale was just ok. it reminded me of very carbonated lambic with rasberry syrup. again, this was a disappointing stop in italy. i really wished i would have chosen the lasagna.

after my disappointing trip to italy, we moved to the florida fresh booth.

photo50-3_zpsa73dad17.jpg

the three of us picked this delectable dish.

IMG_9033-3_zps32cd2806.jpg

Shrimp and Stone Ground Grits with Andouille Sausage, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes and Cilantro - $5.50

this was my favorite bite of the entire night. there was 3 jumbo shrimp on top of creamy grits which had bits of corn & tomato mixed with some sausage. the sausage was not overpowering and the corn brought delicious sweetness to the spice of the shrimp. it was divine! the shrimp was equally large on all of our plates. the shrimp wasn't over cooked but it was slightly undercooked (if that makes sense). i loved this dish so much! it was very filling and for $5.50 i thought it was a total steal. DELICIOUS!!

i also ordered this:

IMG_9031-3_zps8b805ee6.jpg

Watermelon Salad with pickled Red Onions, BW Farm Baby Arugula, Feta Cheese and Balsamic Reduction - $3.50

another winner from my home state of florida. who knew balsamic vinegar would taste so great with watermelon?! not this girl. i love balsamic with strawberries but the combination of the pickled red onions with a bite of the watermelon & feta was an explosion of flavor. this really hit the spot! the dish was refreshing & very fresh. i could eat an entire bowl of this as a meal. very very very tasty.

i have so many more pictures to post from the festival!

...TO BE CONTINUED...

Ok I'm typing from my phone but a couple of things.

I love the pic with Snow White at your table and your dad is on his phone! Typical men! Never paying attention. Lol

That bacon does look delicious. Why can't all Disney bacon be like that?

I wasn't interested in that baked Brie before but your pic of it cut in half looked so good!! We may need to split that if you want it again.

Your parents are definitely cute. I love that he is papa to Emme. Sounds like a fun night at epcot. Can't wait for our fun!!

rachel09985 said:
Ok I'm typing from my phone but a couple of things.

I love the pic with Snow White at your table and your dad is on his phone! Typical men! Never paying attention. Lol

That bacon does look delicious. Why can't all Disney bacon be like that?

I wasn't interested in that baked Brie before but your pic of it cut in half looked so good!! We may need to split that if you want it again.

Your parents are definitely cute. I love that he is papa to Emme. Sounds like a fun night at epcot. Can't wait for our fun!!

I will gladly share it with you! I saw that its goat Brie but it was just as tasty as Brie made from cows milk. Totally delicious! :)

26 days until our trip in april with rachel & we return to flower & garden.

more pictures soon! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter