3 days Grand Cali or 4 days Disneyland Hotel?

80sTerraceCafeFan

Mouseketeer
Long time WDWer but never stayed on Disneyland property

I am going to Anaheim for 6 nights and splitting time between Disney hotels and less expensive off-site for when I visit non Disney places.

It's essentially the same price to spend 3 nights at GC and 3 off-site, or 4 at DH and 2 off-site.

Either way, I'm getting 3 day passes (planning 2 at DL and 1 at DCA). Standard views only both places...is there a clear winner here?..thanks!!

...It's essentially the same price to spend 3 nights at GC and 3 off-site, or 4 at DH and 2 off-site...
The title of your thread has the days switched :headache:
(as thread starter, you can edit it)

I'm a GCH fan, and would choose the shorter stay at GCH.

3 park-hoppers with max-pass is highly recommended :idea:
If this pushes your budget, shorten your onsite hotel stay.

The title of your thread has the days switched :headache:
(as thread starter, you can edit it)

I'm a GCH fan, and would choose the shorter stay at GCH.

3 park-hoppers with max-pass is highly recommended :idea:
If this pushes your budget, shorten your onsite hotel stay.

Thanks nonsuch....didnt book park hopper bc I figured I could divide and conquer parks, but starting to lean that way, esp if I go GC

Last edited:
Only stayed at DH but my pick would be GC simply because it is so much closer to the park entrances.

I have never stayed in either of those hotels. I've really only stayed offsite on our trips to DLR. But we have six nights booked this summer for the Disneyland hotel. I thought this hotel would have the most classic Disney magic. But I think if I were only doing it for a few days I might choose the GCH just to save some time. Having your own entrance to CA would zip stuff up rather quickly I would guess.

GC as I don’t see any need to spend a non-park day onsite (unless you plan on using a “Resort day” for pools). I’ve found it easy to stay off-site & transfer early in the morning before parks open in order to help my Disney budget.

Do you have kids?
Do you want pool time?
Are your non-park days the DLR hotels?

Thanks for the insight all around - GC seems like the way to go - I have two girls 12/9 and was planning on -

Wed - fly in - pool/dinner on property
Thurs - DL with extra hour
Friday - DCA
Sat Knotts
Sun -Universal (will be ponying up for FP at Universal since we are east costers and dont know if we'll be back)
Mon - DL - I know we wont have hotel benefits, but I like spending the final day in Disney to wrap it up
Tues - Fly out

still debating park hopper with this setup

What time of year are you going? I might suggest doing Universal Studios on a weekday... it will be much less crowded then a weekend. I went on a weekend last year and really wished we could have gone during the week!

Also, if you’re staying on site, you get early morning every morning of your stay. So I would plan for all of your DL days to take place when you are onsite and your other park days during your off-site hotel stay.

Additionally, Mondays at DL are typically notoriously crowded. I might reconsider that part of the plan. However, I also suggest starting with non-Disney amusement parks and ending with Disney, especially when it comes to Knotts. It will just pale in comparison to Disney.

Thanks for the insight all around - GC seems like the way to go - I have two girls 12/9 and was planning on -

Friday - DCA
Sat Knotts
Sun -Universal (will be ponying up for FP at Universal since we are east costers and dont know if we'll be back)
Mon - DL - I know we wont have hotel benefits, but I like spending the final day in Disney to wrap it up
Tues - Fly out

Honestly, I'd rearrange my days so that all Disney days are onsite days AND that your final check out from the Grand is the same day you fly out.

I'd do Knotts and Universal when you're offsite, move to the Grand for your last days and make those all Disney days. And DO get hoppers!

Wed Arrival
Thurs Knotts
Fri Universal
Sat-Mon Disney (you can check in as early as 6am Saturday and still make EMH)
Tues wake up at the Grand, breakfast at Storytellers or Steakhouse55 and Fly out

OR if that doesn't work

Wed Arrival (offsite)
Thur-Sat Disney days (early check in Thurs & EMH, check out Sun early & move to offsite)
Sun Universal (if offsite will allow early check in & store luggage )
Mon Knotts
Tues Fly out

Friday - DCA
Sat Knotts
Tues - Fly out

We love parkhoppers. Since your kids are old enough to use maxpass it will behoove you to do that.

We get our tickets through last minute travel club. It’s $15 more dollars to do a 4 day than a 3 day. (Google for a free code for lmt) I’d toss knotts from the mix and add a day at Disneyland. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Since you’re a wdw I’d honestly skip universal. It’s muuuuuuch better in Florida and the traffic is atrocious.

And don’t make Monday a dL day. Sunday will probably be a little less busy.

We usually stay onsite. We just returned from staying at GCH for the 4th time. This is the first stay since the renovations and we had a standard room. 2 of our stays have been great with a good size room and view. The other 2 stays were disappointing. The sell is location and service, which is a big deal. But disappointment is in the room size. Our rooms that face the park (we had a free upgrade) are larger. But still smaller than other hotel sizes.

(For comparison sake, most hotel rooms have 2 queen beds plus a desk or table to add to the length of the room. GCH rooms don’t have that. The part where the desk would be is the balcony. So the bed is pretty close to the sliding glass door.)

We have only stayed at DH twice. Again room size is dependent on the room category.

I only bring up room size because if you pay full price, I would hate you to be disappointed.

But if you are willing to pay for an upgrade (or make requests), then GCH is fantastic. Especially during the holiday season. The lobby is completely decked out. Along with a tree, gingerbread house, they have treats and a hot cocoa station.

Honestly, I'd rearrange my days so that all Disney days are onsite days AND that your final check out from the Grand is the same day you fly out.

I'd do Knotts and Universal when you're offsite, move to the Grand for your last days and make those all Disney days. And DO get hoppers!

Wed Arrival
Thurs Knotts
Fri Universal
Sat-Mon Disney (you can check in as early as 6am Saturday and still make EMH)
Tues wake up at the Grand, breakfast at Storytellers or Steakhouse55 and Fly out

OR if that doesn't work

Wed Arrival (offsite)
Thur-Sat Disney days (early check in Thurs & EMH, check out Sun early & move to offsite)
Sun Universal (if offsite will allow early check in & store luggage )
Mon Knotts
Tues Fly out

I like option 1 and I was going to suggest something similar; moving your days around. In all honesty, I'd skip Universal. Traffic will stink. Is it possible to visit Universal in Florida? If so, I would skip it during your trip here.

As far as GCH v DLH, I would choose the DLH. If you can rent a DVC villa then the Grand, if not then the DLH.

thanks for these options...super helpful!...i was thinking Thursday Friday would be less crowded vs sat sun for disney given all the locals...i am going the 3rd week of feb....am I off base here?

I look like the odd one out, but I would pick more days over less! I have stayed at both hotels and both are amazing. Yes, the Grand is closer but IMO not worth loosing a day in the parks for. Also the walk through DTD is fun but that is just my opinion. You will have a great trip either way. You can't go wrong with either hotel.

thanks for these options...super helpful!...i was thinking Thursday Friday would be less crowded vs sat sun for disney given all the locals...i am going the 3rd week of feb....am I off base here?

Traditionally, Feb is 'off-season' meaning lower crowds. We used to do our annual 5 day trip in late Feb and unless Sunday happened to be Dapper Day, there really wasn't that much difference crowd-wise between Sunday and weekdays. At least, not enough to make us think "OMG! It's too crowded!!". That being said, off-season is beginning to mean less and less these days.

But others with more recent experience will probably be along to give you the latest skinny on February crowds. Due to work constraints, BFF and I have done our last two trips in early April, which is more crowded than February!

Is your trip the weekend before Presidents’ Day (February 18th)? If so the parks will be VERY busy, especially on Monday the 18th. Universal included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter