$3,766...it seems like a lot :)

Beezle2

Hi-Yah!
I was super excited to book a RPR package deal for Dec 30-Jan5 for our family of 3 but I am having a little sticker shock. I will keep an eye on it and hope for some sort of deal. Have to say we love RPR and it's has been a few years since we have been, I think FOTL during that time period will be worth paying for.

Anybody go last year around the same time and willing to share what it cost you?

We never did a package. Always compared purchasing hotel and tickets separate and saved a few bucks that way (counter-intuitive, I know, but it is true). You are also talking about staying during New Year's Day. That alone is high cost time. And you are looking a week-long vacation. Not that surprised.

I also rarely purchase a package. One thing about getting your hotel room yourself, is that the 7 night SMSM rate for that period (Dec. 30 - Jan. 6) at RPR is about $50/night, $359 vs. $407, less than the 6 night rate (Dec. 30 - Jan. 5). So you might want to check and see if adding a day to your stay will cost you anything more.

I think that's probably a decent deal for onsite with EPs over New Year's. Not sure where you are travelling from or if you are thinking about an Annual Pass but you might save some money going that route.

Wow, that does sound like a lot! What kind of park tickets does it include? (I've never booked a package)

Agree with PPs in that we never book a package. With about 7 days there, you should look into annual passes. During the holidays, I doubt AP room rates would be available and I don't think you could get a seasonal pass due to the blackout dates, but it still might be a better value when you consider the other discounts available. And if you can use it again within a year during an off-peak time, the AP room rates on the three deluxe hotels are awesome!

Wow, that does sound like a lot! What kind of park tickets does it include? (I've never booked a package)
It's got the 2 park to park ticket..And I guess I could try to break it up into individual parts..We always have before but given the time frame, the hotel, the front of the line..I'm just not sure I will get anything much better.

Agree with PPs in that we never book a package. With about 7 days there, you should look into annual passes. During the holidays, I doubt AP room rates would be available and I don't think you could get a seasonal pass due to the blackout dates, but it still might be a better value when you consider the other discounts available. And if you can use it again within a year during an off-peak time, the AP room rates on the three deluxe hotels are awesome!

I love RPR..we have stayed before but usually just a 2 day in conjunction with a Disney trip. This time we are doing Universal only. Don't want an AP because next year will be a long DVC stay at Disney. I'm going to just take deep breaths I guess..It sure will be nice to be onsite with FOTL for a week :)

Once you pay out for P2P tickets for 7 park days, ap should be cheaper

but your package for 3 might be a sweet deal as $3000 for a 6 night stay is a decent price especially during the high holiday season.

I think the price seems reasonable for going over a holiday. I would also try pricing out the components separately too though. Unlike Disney, Universal can frequently be cheaper looking for individual deals

To give you a sense of comparison-- My family of four is staying at RPR over Easter using the SMSM rate (avg $428 per night). For the five days we’re spending $2150 and then we spent about $1200 on tickets for 4 (we bought them online through a ticket broker, 3 park-to-park). Altogether it’s about $3350. That ended up being about $200 cheaper then booking a package through Universal.

I love RPR..we have stayed before but usually just a 2 day in conjunction with a Disney trip. This time we are doing Universal only. Don't want an AP because next year will be a long DVC stay at Disney. I'm going to just take deep breaths I guess..It sure will be nice to be onsite with FOTL for a week :)

Echoing macraven... the point I was trying to make is that often when you go beyond 3-4 day tickets, purchasing an AP is cheaper. Even if you only use it for one trip. The hotel discounts coupled with food & merch discounts also add to the value of an AP, in addition to the fact that the up front cost may be cheaper than a multi-day ticket. The math would need to be done first but just something to consider!

Thank you everyone who replied :) I appreciate all your thoughts. I just looked at trying to seperate everything out. SMSM was $2829 for 7 day 12/30-1/5 that was a bit cheaper than I was looking at but I think I hit a wall with tickets. 1 AP and 2 5 day 2 park tickets from UT would be $1076 + 2829= 3905. If I subtract the free parking that I know I will get -$154 still comes to $3751. I'm pretty sceptical that there would be AP discounts for my time frame and with my package we have 6 days of entry to 2 parks and the water park if we want to go. I am just going to suck it up and look forward to the end of the year. Still having a bit of vapors..lol

Thank you everyone who replied :) I appreciate all your thoughts. I just looked at trying to seperate everything out. SMSM was $2829 for 7 day 12/30-1/5 that was a bit cheaper than I was looking at but I think I hit a wall with tickets. 1 AP and 2 5 day 2 park tickets from UT would be $1076 + 2829= 3905. If I subtract the free parking that I know I will get -$154 still comes to $3751. I'm pretty sceptical that there would be AP discounts for my time frame and with my package we have 6 days of entry to 2 parks and the water park if we want to go. I am just going to suck it up and look forward to the end of the year. Still having a bit of vapors..lol

Your plans sound logical.
You can guarantee that the AP rates will be out for your time period

Hotel rates are a high price during your time period.
NYE is a popular, crowded time period and the hotels don't need to give out AP rates for rooms to fill up.

The SMSM is what I usually book with and I have the preferred Ap

There is no free parking at the hotels.
Garage parking at City Walk give free parking to premier and preferred AP holders for the day.
No over night parking is allowed.

OP - Xmas & NYE very expensive. Did you look at last year’s date & rate thread for a rough idea where the dust settled on those who visited the same time-frame?

Not sure if you are flexible on dates but arrive on 1/1 vs 12/30 makes a big difference in room costs

Why not try pricing out a split stay? Try SF, CB or new hotel for 2 nights coming in on 12/30, then switch over to RPH>. May be surprised at the difference in cost.

OP - Xmas & NYE very expensive. Did you look at last year’s date & rate thread for a rough idea where the dust settled on those who visited the same time-frame?

Not sure if you are flexible on dates but arrive on 1/1 vs 12/30 makes a big difference in room costs

Why not try pricing out a split stay? Try SF, CB or new hotel for 2 nights coming in on 12/30, then switch over to RPH>. May be surprised at the difference in cost.
>>>

I forgot to say..12/31 is our 23rd anniversary! Your suggestion is a good one :) I know I am paying for the FOTL and it will be worth it..because everytime I think of not having it especially during that time frame..whoo. I keep telling myself how much we love RPR..FOTL...and breathing..lol! I was looking at the NYE events from last year..looks like fun. Also need to see about a 12/31 couples massage..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter