2nd trip for Just Mom & 2 little boys 6/5-14, Star Wars, CBR, DxDP, Character Meals

So sad that it's over:sad: I really appreciate your final thoughts. I will definitely be referencing this report if I do a solo trip with my 2 boys next summer. Love all of your ideas and your thoughts on Deluxe Dining. It does seem like lots of food, but you make a good point that CS would be hard alone. And the boys never seem to tire of character buffets. I guess we shall see. I think we will stay in the Pirate rooms. They look fun even though they are far away from the main part of the resort. Good luck in your future trip planning and I hope I see you around the boards:goodvibes

If you stay in a pirate room, then I would recommend that you request bldg 34 or 35. They are the closest to OPR. I think it makes a "mental" difference in how close you feel to things!!! My boys really loved the room, they enjoyed coming back to the room just to play with the headboard and the pirate curtain. The pirate theming made it "more than just a room".

So glad that you had a great trip and I do agree about 10 days or 2 weeks being to long. When my kids were little we would do 7 days away but only 4 or 5 days in the park and that was long enough.

We are going to do mostly all character dining this time. Hopefully my kids will like it and not feel like it is cutting into park time. I know that my grandkids will love it.

I do love that you all took your time and got every thing done but still went back for a rest in the afternoon.

Call me a character meal junkie, but I can't see how you wouldn't like doing character meals!! I think it adds to the Disney experience. Sometimes the food isn't always the best, but we're going more for the character interaction than for the fine dining. We never spent more than an hour on a character meal. It's just a nice break for us. Have a wonderful trip!

ooh doesnt sound like how you would want to spend your last half day. but at least MJ is fine. Most important part. whoo!! he swimming now!!

All is fine now!! So glad to have that behind us now. At least I know where the doctor's office is now. I don't plan on being a repeat customer for them if I can help it!! :rotfl:

Wow! I just found your TR tonite and read it start to finish. I didn't know you had taken another trip, let alone written up a TR!

Once again loved your Report from start to finish. I actually see a lot of similarities in our touring styles with the kids. And like you, I also have a husband who has stayed home and doesn't get the constant trips to Disney!:rotfl:

I echo all of your comments on CBR. WHoleheartedly agree with everything you said! I love the resort and will stay there again for sure. That said, there are reasons I will continue to pay for deluxe too!;)

BTW - for future reference Jamaica is an awesome building. Very close to OPR and the most beautiful 4 min walk across the bridge and island. The walk was the highlight of each morning for us. And it is not a preferred so no additional charge!;) Plus, I think it is hands down the most beautiful section!

Question about your FP strategy with TSM: if you are arriving at the front of the crowd, why do you go straight on the ride and then get a FP afterwards? I have never been at the front of ropedrop and by the time I make it there the standby lines are at least 25 mins so I always FP and come back. But...if I was at the front of the crowd, my plan would be to FP first then hop on the ride. Is there a reason it would work better to ride first? Do the crowds back up that quick, even if you are one of the 1st people to arrive at the FP machine?

Finally - can you share who made your autograph pages. I really liked them from your last TR and again this time too. I think I will have to do those on our next trip.

And one last thing: as luck would have it I am going to be back in WDW with my family including DD6 and DS4 at the end of April/ first of May and will also be staying at the Beach Club! If you end up going drop me a line!:goodvibes

You found me!! Hey there, SO glad to hear from you again!! Good tip on Jamaica, I'll keep that in mind for next time, maybe then I'll save even more money by not paying for a preferred room.

About riding TSM or getting a FP at rope drop.... Here is my thinking.... We get to rope drop early to get in the front of the line. I always will head straight to TSM and ride it first, then immediately get a FP for later. I'm a fast walker with the kids in a stroller, so we make it there pretty fast and get right on. We can be done riding by 9:15 or 9:20am, by then, the standby wait line. The FP line will be pretty long too, but it never took us more than 5-8 minutes to get the FP. This way, I feel like we've done the big hitter ride first thing in the morning with minimal wait. With the little guys, we're not doing R&RR or ToT yet, so TSM is our highlight. Then with the FP, we can ride it again. This way, we get to ride it twice. We've done this several times now, and it has always worked out great for us.

The autograph pages were mostly created by 3 designers: Donatalie, Chaos1Cent and AreWeThereYet in the Creative DISigns forum. Here are the links to their photobuckets to browse their designs. Then you can search their design threads on Creative DISsigns for any custom covers you want.

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd181/Chaos1Cent/
http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/donatalie/
http://s345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/ljcollins_2008/

Wow - that would be so fun if we were going at the same time next year!!! Would love to hook us somehow!!! I know you gave me some advice about BC/YC on the last trip report. I really do want to stay there, but want to find a good deal to make it a little more affordable!! I think my boys would love StormAlongBay pool!!! Do you have your dates planned already? I would pick either the week of April 25th or May 2nd.

Enjoyed the trip report. Thanks for all the great reviews. :thumbsup2

Well thank you for following along to the very end!! I really loved your character journal. I've showed the boys some of the character pictures, some that we haven't seen yet. Gosh, I just love those Disney characters!!!

I am very glad that everything worked out with MJ -that must have been really distressing-I'm so glad it worked out for the best...

I really enjoyed reading your trip report-I definately would like to take DS and DH...:lmao: to one of the Star Wars weekends-you described the events of the weekends very well-I loved the all of your photos and summary of the experience...well done...

I am very glad that everything worked out with MJ -that must have been really distressing-I'm so glad it worked out for the best...

I really enjoyed reading your trip report-I definately would like to take DS and DH...:lmao: to one of the Star Wars weekends-you described the events of the weekends very well-I loved the all of your photos and summary of the experience...well done...

Well thank you for following along. We really did have a great time at Star Wars Weekends. MJ still talks about all the SW characters we met. And of course, they ask that question "Mom, when can we go back to Disney?"

I would highly recommend SWW to anyone, especially for boys or for anyone who is a big SW fan. It's just a whole lot of fun!! Now I'm just trying to decide if we should go in late April when the weather is nice and the crowds are smaller. Or should we try again for SWW? Ahhh, decisions, decisions!!

What a great trip report. The Star Wars Weekends looked great - my big boys would love them. I am hoping to do the princess breakfast when we go and I can just imagine my boys faces.

I look forward to your next report :)

June weather and crowds – I was prepared for the worst – horrible heat and humidity and elbow to elbow crowds. Since we went very early in June, I was pleasantly surprised. For the first 4 days, the heat wasn’t that bad. Then the last 5 days, it got pretty hot. Meaning that it was very warm starting at 9am. We were truly fortunate that it only rained for 10 minutes the very first day, then no rain after that. I’ll take the no rain instead of high heat any day!!! Because we napped and swam mid-day, we missed most of the unbearable heat. The crowds the first weekend were pretty tame. It did get much busier by the second weekend of June. All in all, I can’t complain because the heat/crowds were better than I expected. Now, will I do it again??? Probably not, given the choice. My next trips will be in the Spring or Fall, and then I’d like to try early December for MVMCP. So for a while, I’ll pass on the summer heat/crowds.

Star Wars Weekends – This was awesome!! There was so much to do – tons of characters to meet and lots more walking around. Lots of scenery, cut-outs and backgrounds to take pictures of. The parade was fabulous!! A huge shop at Wicket’s Warehouse. It really was worth the trip!! The boys absolutely loved it. I highly suggest coming, especially if you have boys. You really need 2 days to get it all in, meaning you’ve dedicated most of the day to seeing the shows/events and finding characters.

Caribbean Beach Resort – Loved the pirate rooms and the pirate ship kiddie pool. Again, something that’s awesome for little boys!! It took me a few days to “adjust” my expectations of a deluxe vs moderate hotel, then I felt very comfortable. I loved the cheaper price of a moderate. Frankly, I’m having a hard time convincing myself to pay an extra $150-$250 more per night to go back to a deluxe. The only thing I really would like is a queen size bed instead of their double bed – fix that and I’ll never go back!!! I will certainly stay at CBR again, but next time will stay in a preferred room closer to OPR.

PhotoPass Add-in Pictures – We tried out lots of the add-in pictures – Baby Simba, balloons, fighting with Darth Vader, Stitch eating ice cream, tinkerbell. They really were lots of fun. Now I wish we did even more photopass shots!!! I highly suggest taking the same picture over multiple days, especially in front of the castle. Each trip I take more pictures than last trip, but still say that I need MORE pictures. I just never take enough pictures of the resort and hardly take any pictures on the rides. I prepurchased the Photo CD, so that saved some money.

Deluxe Dining Plan – I’m really glad we tried this for the first time. I did lots of preplanning to figure out if it was worth the money or not. And it certainly was!! You need to eat at more TS places than CS to make it worthwhile. And the more kids you have on it, the better. The additional summer surcharge that gets added to the buffets certainly makes the DDP cheaper. I found that I experimented more with food choices. I ordered more expensive entrees than I normally would have. It really did give you more freedom to enjoy your dining experience each time. I felt the refillable mugs were a waste for us. Mainly because we were not close to OPR to “hop”over for a quick refill. Maybe if DH was with me on this trip, I could have been more flexible. I made sure we did nothing OOP for eating. I would have liked to have done TRex, Rainforest Café and Fulton’s Crab House, but since they were not on the DDP, I had to pass this time.

I read that many people ended up not using up all their snack credits, so from day 1, I made sure we were very generous in getting any and all snacks and drinks throughout the parks. We used all our snack credits and all our meal credits! Because we were on the DxDP, I bought lots of goodies that I would not have purchased at Goofy’s Candy Shoppe. For drinks, we had water, soda, smoothies, Gatorade and my slushes. Again, it was nice not to think about how much everything cost. Also because it was so hot, we drank a lot. If it was October, I’m not sure we’d have used that many drinks.

It was a LOT of food, having an appetizer/dessert with every lunch and dinner. I made sure not to eat everything if I was feeling full. The little boys started getting bored with ice cream at every meal – the kids desserts were very limited (ice cream or pudding). It was nice having a buffet for lunch/dinner where you could pick at whatever pleased you, and the boys could have more variety as well. I also needed to make our dinner ADRs at a later time. I had dinners scheduled from 5:00 to 5:45pm. AJ was napping later so that was pushing us too close to dinner time. I’ll need to make dinner at 6:00 to 6:30pm next time.

Dining Review – We ate at every character meal except CRT (which I will plan for next trip!!!). My favorites are Chef Mickey’s, Cape May Café, Tusker House and Crystal Palace. Least favorite is Ohana because I don’t thing the food is very good. It was fun doing the princess breakfast at Akershus, but with the boys, we’ll only do that once. We’ll probably do 1900 Park Fare again since the boys loved the step sisters and Mad Hatter.

For regular dining, I loved Teppan Edo, Captain’s Grill and Wolfgang Puck Express. I won’t be doing Brown Derby or Boma breakfast again. Sci-Fi is MJ’s favorite and just a cool place. If DH comes next time, we’ll try out more CS places. But if it’s just me solo again, we’ll probably stay with more TS meals. I’ll certainly do the dining plan again!!

Staying 9 nights – With our airplane schedule, we had a total of 8.5 days of touring time. We did 3 days at DHS, 2.5 days at MK, 1 at Epcot and 1 at AK. The our off day was spent at ½ day at doctor and ½ day at GF pirate cruise. The trip seemed pretty long to me. We were all getting tired by the last 2 days. So next trip will probably be 7 days of touring time. I can’t ever see us taking a 10 day trip or 2 weeks. That’s just too long to be away from home with the little boys. Maybe I might look into Universal Studios and spending a day there for something different to explore.

Orlando Stroller Rentals – Once again, it was a fabulous double stroller that made our trip much easier!! The stroller was waiting for me at the luggage desk as expected, and I just dropped it off on our way out. Very quick and easy. Very affordable. I feel so lucky that I found this place and highly recommend them!!!

Final thoughts – Taking a solo trip with the boys was much easier the second time around. I felt more relaxed and comfortable with the parks and dining places, I just loved sharing Disney with them. It just constantly makes you smile!!

Next trip - I’m still thinking about that one. It’s either going to be early December or the last week of April/first week of May. I’ll have to take MJ out of school for that trip. I’d love the do both, but don’t think DH will let me. He already thinks we’ve done Disney enough!! I’m waiting to see what special rates and promotions come out for December. Most likely we’ll do the late April/early May week. I’d like to try out Beach/Yacht Club if we can get a discount, otherwise we’ll do CBR again. Can’t wait to start planning again!!

So, I think that’s it. Hard to believe it’s the end of my trip report!! I hope you had fun reading about our little adventure and that you enjoyed all the pictures. We certainly had a wonderful trip!! Thanks to such a great DISboards forum – just a wonderful place to talk and share!! So, as the CMs say….

:goodvibes Have a magical day!!! :goodvibes

Great trip report. My DS(8) loved your Star Wars photos, we are going in Oct. this year, but told him I'd save my money to do the SWW next year. The boys are so cute and I give you alot of credit for taking them alone.

They gave me a claim tag to get our Photopass pictures added to our card. It takes about 20 minutes after the cruise ends before they are ready, so we added them to our card after our lunch.

can you do this at any place or only at the GF? we were going to leave the GF and head to downtown disney....can we still do this??

can you do this at any place or only at the GF? we were going to leave the GF and head to downtown disney....can we still do this??

Hmmm, good question. I was told to go to the 2nd floor photopass station at GF. It would seem that you could have them added at any photopass center, but I'm not really sure. I would call them to find out for certain.

They had pictures of everyone on the cruise. We sorted through the pictures and only added the ones that were general pictures and pictures with my boys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter