2nd trip for Just Mom & 2 little boys 6/5-14, Star Wars, CBR, DxDP, Character Meals

MJAJmom

DIS Veteran
This is the second trip for just me and my 2 little boys, DS4 and DS6. We planned to be there for the last 2 Star Wars weekends. DH was at home working. We stayed at a pirate room at Carribbean Beach for 9 nights, June 5-14th, using the Buy 4, Get 3 Free deal and also tried out the Deluxe Dining Plan. We saw lots of characters, dined at almost every character meal, and tried out some new rides and shows.

For introductions, there’s me, a stay-at-home mom. I’m a mega planner and just love all the info here on DISboards. I think Disney is such a fun place to bring my boys. It’s so special to spend the visit with just. I’m looking forward to staying at CBR, want to find Daisy Duck, and see how we like the Deluxe Dining Plan.

MJ my DS6, just finished kindergarten, so I guess you could say that’s what we were celebrating. He wants to try Tower of Terror this trip, can’t wait to see the Star Wars characters, wants to swim in the pirate ship pool, and absolutely must see the UP characters. He’s pretty easy going and thankfully behaves very well.

AJ, my DS4, is very spirited, loving and high drama. He’s full of hugs/kisses, but then is hitting and stomping his feet. He wants to see Buzz/Woody, ride TSM and POTC. I’m hoping for not too many melt downs. We’ll plan to come back after lunch for swims and naps to let him rest.

Here we are from our trip last October to see MNSSHP. The link to that trip report is in my signature.

image101.jpg

Here is our schedule of park touring:

Fri - arrive late, check-in and bed
Sat - DHS for Star Wars Weekend
Sun - DHS for Star Wars Weekend
Mon - Epcot
Tues – Animal Kingdom, DTD
Wed – Magic Kingdom
Thur – Magic Kingdom, early EMHs
Fri – DHS for Star Wars Weekends, early EMHs
Sat – GF pirate cruise, MK
Sun – check-out, a visit to the Orlando doctor’s office, fly home

With our Deluxe Dining Plan, we scheduled lots of TS and character meals:

Sat - H&V bfast, 50’s Prime Time lunch, Mama Melrose dinner
Sun - Cape May bfast, Sci-Fi lunch, Toy Story Planet Pizza dinner
Mon - Akershus bfast, Teppan Edo lunch, Garden Grill dinner
Tues – Tusker House bfast, Yak & Yeti lunch, Wolfgang Puck Express dinner
Wed – Ohana bfast, Liberty Tree Tavern lunch, 1900 Park Fare dinner
Thur – CBR OPR bfast, Crystal Palace lunch, CBR OPR dinner
Fri – CBR OPR bfast, Brown Derby lunch, CBR OPR dinner
Sat – 1900 Park Fare bfast, Plaza lunch, Chef Mickey dinner
Sun – Boma bfast, Captain’s Grill lunch

Wonderings – How will we feel about the heat/crowds in June?? What’s the CBR hotel like, it’s our first time in a moderate?? Will Star Wars Weekends be insane?? Can we do Tower of Terror?? Will the boys survive princess character meals??

Ready? Let’s begin…..

My son just finished kindergarten as well and both my boys loved the UP movie (me too!;)) They can't wait to see the characters when we go back.I'm anxious to find out how you liked CBR as we are considering a moderate for next year's trip. Can't wait for more.......

We flew out on JetBlue on Friday afternoon June 5th. There’s only one flight coming/going to Orlando out of Austin and that’s in the mid-afternoon. So we had the morning to pack up and get ready before heading to the airport. I love flying JetBlue because it’s a nonstop flight, they don’t charge for baggage, they have great snacks and each seat has their own TV screen. It keeps my boys occupied the entire flight. The only downside is that the flight arrives at 7:10pm, so by the time we get our luggage, get our rental car and drive to the hotel, it’s already 9pm, dark and time for bed.

Check-in at CBR: The Custom House was not busy at all. With all the talk about how far away the pirate rooms were in Trinidad South, I had requested Building 34, ground floor on my reservation. Unfortunately they assigned me Building 39 which is THE furthest building away from OPR and the main pool. Bummer!!! They said they were completely booked and could not switch me (the disadvantages of arriving late at night). So I asked if maybe they could switch me tomorrow. The CM checked and said a room was available in Bldg 34 on Sunday, so I said OK let’s set I up. Figured I could change my mind later if I thought it was going to be too much of a hassle to transfer. Since this was our first stay at CBR and our first try at a moderate hotel, I just wanted it to be perfect.

I also asked that my park tickets be put on a separate card from my room key/dining card. I was planning to upgrade my 4/3 tickets to an Annual Pass later in the week and read that this would make things easier. That took a while because I had to go over to the concierge to have them separate the tickets. I also picked up my double stroller at Bell Services which I rented from Orlando Stroller Rental. I rented one from them on our October trip last year and it was fabulous. This year I also rented a stroller cover from them for an extra $10.

CBR is a pretty big resort so you drive a while before you hit Trinidad South. And yes, Bldg 39 is way in the back, and our room was the 2nd to last room at the back, but right next to the parking lot for easy in/out.

Pirate Rooms – Wow!! The room is amazing with all the pirate decorations. The boys are thrilled !!! They love the pirate headboard and the pirate skull curtain that closes off the bathroom. It’s just an awesome room for 2 little boys who love Jack Sparrow. Everything in the room is themed. The night stand is a pirate barrel. The carpet is designed to look like wooden planks. The table has a compass on it. There’s a large wooden storage chest that has a pullout drawer for lots of storage. And 4 drawers in the wooden dresser that looks like 4 stacked boxes. Very well done. I’m so glad it’s such a nice room. The boys will love it here for 9 nights!! I’ll save my observations and comparisons about a Deluxe vs Moderate for later. Here are a few pictures of the room:

IMG_2334.jpg
IMG_2335.jpg

Since the plan was to transfer rooms in another day, I didn’t unpack and just took out what we needed for the next day. So we are now off to bed and anxiously awaiting our first day at DHS and Star Wars Weekend. The day will start with a character breakfast at Hollywood and Vine at 8:10am. I’m so excited!!!

Can't wait to read your report..especially on CBR as we changed from Pop to there for the Pirate room for Sept.
:goodvibes
Jodi

Hi Jodi, thanks for coming along!! I think you're really going to like the pirate rooms, especially if your kids are big pirate fan like mine are. The theming is amazing. Everything was fresh and new. My kids also loved the kiddie pirate ship pool that had some small water slides and lots of squirting water.

My son just finished kindergarten as well and both my boys loved the UP movie (me too!;)) They can't wait to see the characters when we go back.I'm anxious to find out how you liked CBR as we are considering a moderate for next year's trip. Can't wait for more.......

Welcome Angies!! Kindergarten was such a fun year for us, hope your son enjoyed it, too. We just went to the UP movie again yesterday. It's such a cute movie. My boys loved Russell and Dug. We bought a talking plush Dug dog at World of Disney. I've got a bunch of comments and observations about the hotel that I'll share later.

It’s a partly cloudy morning and time to start our Star Wars day. The weather forecast says a quick rain shower will hit around lunchtime, otherwise party sunny and warm. One great thing about CBR is that it is SO close to DHS. It’s less than a 5 minute drive to get there. With an early ADR before the park opens, you can an up close parking spot!! There’s 5-6 people waiting in line already for early breakfast entry. There’s several Star Wars posters at the ticket entry. The Star Wars music is playing and lots of kids have light sabers and star wars shirts. The boys are excited about bringing their light sabers to the park. Here we are waiting in line to get into DHS.

IMG_2058.jpg
IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg
IMG_2057.jpg

Once we get into the park, I took a picture of Mickey’s Hat while the park was empty.
IMG_2061.jpg
IMG_2119.jpg

We check in at Hollywood and Vine and get seated very quickly. The place was not even as busy as it was during our last October visit. AJ loves Little Einsteins so this meal is really for him to see June and Leo. The buffet food is pretty good. All the hot foods, fruits, waffles and breads you expect. The characters circulate several times, plus they are very playful with the boys. First was Goliath, then Leo, JoJo and June.

IMG_2117.jpg
IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg
IMG_2071.jpg

Leo is very interested in checking out MJ's fan. June tried to help me get AJ to smile more for his picture.

IMG_2110.jpg
IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg
IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg
IMG_2084.jpg

Every time we are here, the characters circulate several times around. And because it was not busy, we got to see all the characters twice.

IMG_2063.jpg
IMG_2088.jpg

I printed out autograph cards from several designs on the Creative DISsigns board, so I'll add those for each character meal.
IMG_3038.jpg

After breakfast, we are first at the ropes for rope drop. Our plan is to head straight to Toy Story Mania, ride it and then get a FastPass. Following the mob of people, we are practically first to ride TSM. It’s such a cool ride. I barely had time to snap a picture of Mr. Potato Head. The line to get a Fastpass is about 5 minutes long. With TSM out of the way, now we can work on finding Star Wars characters. We start with finding out were Jedi Mickey is….

IMG_2120.jpg

I just love your TRs with your two little boys! :goodvibes

Our trips overlapped. We were there 6/12 to 6/19.

I spotted the orange double strollers everywhere and thought of you! :)

Count me in! popcorn::

Mare

I'm in! I read your last report and am excited for this one. I have two little boys as well!

We love Jetblue too!!! The snacks and the TV's are wonderful--especially to keep the boys occupied.:thumbsup2

The pictures of the pirate rooms are great--such detail!!

Your boys looked like they had a good time with the characters at Hollywood and Vine.:goodvibes

We loved Toy Story Mania!! It's such a fun ride--

I am so glad I found this! I had read your whole MNSSHP trip report a few weeks back (I am just starting to plan our trip for Oct) and was trying to find the thread to get some shirt ideas. I remembered your boys always had on dis designed shirts and I just found that forum.

Excited to read about your trip as you write the report, instead of all at once! My boys are the same age (6.5 and almost 5). My guys would love the pirate room! I am thinking of booking a cruise so I can't wait to hear about yours.

Is your stroller from Orlando Strollers? I am trying to figure out what to do for my guys in Oct. I only have a Mac Volo (single). Jason is barely 45lbs and the younger guy not even 40 so I guess they would do fine in this?

After riding TSM, it was time to find the Star Wars characters. There are so many of them out and they rotate at different times. First we wanted to hit the Disney characters – Jedi Mickey, StormTrooper Donald, Darth Vader Goofy and Princess Leia Minnie. They switch off in 20 minute rotations starting at 9:50am between Great Movie Ride and American Idol.. Along the way we found Baloo near the Mickey Hat.

IMG_2123.jpg
IMG_2125.jpg

After seeing Jedi Mickey, we hopped back in line to get Donald/Goofy. Minnie came next but the line was getting too long and the boys wanted to try Great Movie Ride, so we rode that next. Have to get Minnie later.

IMG_2135.jpg
IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg
IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg
IMG_2141.jpg

Image011.jpg
Image015.jpg

We got a popsicle and headed to get a spot for the Star Wars Parade. The crowds were very light for a Star Wars Weekend day. I was pretty shocked. I’d say it was maybe a level 6 or 7. Of course, TSM is crazy, but the rest of the park was pretty light. We got a great spot for the parade, between Mickey’s Hat and American Idol so that I could catch the characters as the turned the corner. The parade was amazing with all the characters marching by. I took a picture of everything!!

The parade started with Jedi Mickey in a star fighter followed by Minnie, Donald and Goofy.
IMG_2148.jpg
IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg
IMG_2154.jpg

The Evil Emperor’s Royal Guard, not sure who the guys are in the black suit (but they’re bad guys)
IMG_2157.jpg
IMG_2158.jpg

I love the colored clone troopers better than the white ones
IMG_2163.jpg
IMG_2164.jpg

Tusken Raiders
IMG_2167.jpg
IMG_2170.jpg

Boba Fett and Star Fighter pilots
IMG_2169.jpg
IMG_2172.jpg

Ewok and Chewbacca
IMG_2173.jpg
IMG_2176.jpg

More parade pictures continued on next post….

Shaak Ti and Mace Windu
IMG_2179.jpg
IMG_2180.jpg

Kit Fitso and R2D2
IMG_2181.jpg
IMG_2186.jpg

The celebrity guests this weekend were David Prowse (Darth Vader) and Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett) and Matt Lanter (voice of Anakin in Clone Wars)
IMG_2188.jpg
IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg
IMG_2191.jpg

Ahsoka Tano and Captain Rex from Clone Wars and weekend host Ashley Eckstein (voice of Ahsoka in Clone Wars)
IMG_2196.jpg
IMG_2199.jpg

Bouty hunters Zam Wessell and Aurra Sing
IMG_2200.jpg
IMG_2202.jpg

Jango Fett and the Star Wars Weekends host Jay Laga’aia
IMG_2203.jpg
IMG_2205.jpg

Lines of clones troopers marching by and Darth Vader
IMG_2204.jpg
IMG_2207.jpg

Darth Vader and the end of the parade
IMG_2208.jpg
IMG_2210.jpg

I read a tip that you should jump in line after the parade is over right behind the clone troopers and follow them down to the Star Tours stage to get a good view of the celebrity welcome where all the characters are up on stage. We tried it and it worked pretty well. Still, we were about 4 rows back and it was hard for my boys to see the stage since they were so little. I had to put my camera over my head and hope to get a decent shot.

IMG_2213.jpg
IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg
IMG_2221.jpg

Last to leave the stage was Chewbacca. Everyone cheered loudly for him!!
IMG_2222.jpg

Thankfully the parade and celebrity welcome was finished without interruption. It must have been destiny, because about 5 minutes after the welcome show, it started POURING down rain!! We hid under a small roofing to get our stroller cover out and for me to put my poncho on. The rain only lasted about 10 minutes. And we made it into 50’s Prime Time to have lunch.

Next up – Lunch time at 50’s Prime Time. Our first real experience using appetizers and dessert on the Deluxe Dining Plan.

Mare

Hi Mare!! You're right, there were lots more orange strollers around this time versus last October. I think the word is out that Orlando Stroller Rentals has awesome strollers!!

I'm in! I read your last report and am excited for this one. I have two little boys as well!

Thanks for coming back again. This trip was even better than last trip alone with the boys. Better because we knew our way around the parks and the boys could voice their preferences of what rides/shows they wanted to see again.

We love Jetblue too!!! The snacks and the TV's are wonderful--especially to keep the boys occupied.:thumbsup2

Your boys looked like they had a good time with the characters at Hollywood and Vine.:goodvibes

I'll have to admit that TSM is probably my favorite ride. It's just so cool all the 3D interaction. Just wish it wasn't so crazy to get on it.

Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Welcome aboard!! I've got so many pictures to post and things to write about. I kinda feel behind schedule already!!

I am so glad I found this! I had read your whole MNSSHP trip report a few weeks back (I am just starting to plan our trip for Oct) and was trying to find the thread to get some shirt ideas. I remembered your boys always had on dis designed shirts and I just found that forum.

Excited to read about your trip as you write the report, instead of all at once! My boys are the same age (6.5 and almost 5). My guys would love the pirate room! I am thinking of booking a cruise so I can't wait to hear about yours.

Is your stroller from Orlando Strollers? I am trying to figure out what to do for my guys in Oct. I only have a Mac Volo (single). Jason is barely 45lbs and the younger guy not even 40 so I guess they would do fine in this?

Our boys are exactly the same ages - how cool!!! Now what little boy wouldn't be thrilled to death to stay in a pirate room??? My 2 loved playing with all their action figures on the pirate headboard.

Yes, the stroller is from Orlando Stroller Rentals. It's awesome, this is our 2nd time using them. MJ is 48inches and 48lbs and AJ is 42inches and 43lbs, and they fit just fine in the stroller. It pushes so easily and turns well, even with all that weight inside. Since it was just me, I really wanted to stroller in case they got tired and also to keep them confined. I pushed them all day long, so I was pretty hungry for lunch and dinner!!!

Mare

Hi Mare!! You're right, there were lots more orange strollers around this time versus last October. I think the word is out that Orlando Stroller Rentals has awesome strollers!!

Thanks for coming back again. This trip was even better than last trip alone with the boys. Better because we knew our way around the parks and the boys could voice their preferences of what rides/shows they wanted to see again.

I'll have to admit that TSM is probably my favorite ride. It's just so cool all the 3D interaction. Just wish it wasn't so crazy to get on it.

Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Welcome aboard!! I've got so many pictures to post and things to write about. I kinda feel behind schedule already!!

Our boys are exactly the same ages - how cool!!! Now what little boy wouldn't be thrilled to death to stay in a pirate room??? My 2 loved playing with all their action figures on the pirate headboard.

Yes, the stroller is from Orlando Stroller Rentals. It's awesome, this is our 2nd time using them. MJ is 48inches and 48lbs and AJ is 42inches and 43lbs, and they fit just fine in the stroller. It pushes so easily and turns well, even with all that weight inside. Since it was just me, I really wanted to stroller in case they got tired and also to keep them confined. I pushed them all day long, so I was pretty hungry for lunch and dinner!!!

This was our first time at 50’s Prime Time. We got in quickly and our server was very helpful. I ordered chicken noodle soup which was pretty bland, had the pot roast which was just OK, and the ice cream brownie for dessert which was HUGE. I had a chocolate milkshake for my drink which was awesome! The boys ate a hot dog and chicken nuggets which was just fine for the. Overall, I’d say the place was OK, not really good and not really bad.

After lunch, we used our FP to ride TSM again. Wicket’s Warehouse was right beside TSM so we checked out all the Star Wars merchandise. Since it rained, they moved Darth Maul and Darth Vader meet/greet inside to the back of Wickets, so we jumped in the very short line to see Darth Maul. I’ll have to admit that Darth Maul is my favorite Star Wars character.

This was across from Wickets, MJ could barely fit his head over hand cuffs.
IMG_2223.jpg
IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg
IMG_2226.jpg

After taking our picture, I tried to shake Darth Maul’s hand, but he wouldn’t and made a mean face. Then we paced around each other making mean faces. I love how they stay in character!
Image027.jpg

I told the boys they could pick out 1 Star Wars toy in Wicket’s. Of course, they picked this long clonetrooper gun. Sorry boys, but I had to turn that one down, just too big to fit in the suitcase. After much whining, they picked out some action figures instead. So now we need to make our way home so they can play with them.

In the area in Wickets where they take pictures of the bounty hunters, there’s a huge statue of Han Solo in carbon freeze. It’s funny to see how AJ hasn’t learned how to cross his arms yet.
IMG_2235.jpg

Making our way around the park, there’s a Darth Vader’s picture area, they have the medical table background where Darth Vader is created. The boys loved making their mean faces.
IMG_2229.jpg
IMG_2231.jpg

There were lots of cutouts and places to take pictures along the Streets of America. Plus we found the photographer with the special add-in of Darth Vader.
IMG_2233.jpg
Image029.jpg

Image030.jpg

We grab a Fastpass for Tower of Terror before we leave so we can try it later tonight. It’s time to head home because AJ is tired. At CBR, we pick up our refillable mugs and get a drink. The boys played in the room for a little bit before I made them take a nap. After naptime, we went back to DHS for dinner at Mama Melrose at 5:30pm.

First time to Mama Melrose, it was a pretty place. The boys got cheese pizza and ice cream. I got calamari, fra diavolo and tiramisu. The fra diavolo just wasn’t a good pick for me, too spicy. The shrimp in it was good. Next time I’ll have to try something else.

We went to see Buzz and Woody, which AJ loves. They did a great job in queue area with all the background and cutouts so you can take pictures.
IMG_2238.jpg
IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg
IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg
IMG_2248.jpg

Then we saw Sorcerer Mickey
IMG_2252.jpg
IMG_2255.jpg

Finally, it was time to try Tower of Terror for the first time. I told the boys the story about the hotel, how lightning strikes and turns the people into ghosts, and how the elevator goes up and down. Poor AJ was just clueless going in. We all screamed our heads off!!! It went up and down 5 times. AJ was scared and didn’t like it, he was grabbing onto me. MJ screamed but then thought it was sorta fun. Glad we tried it once, but we certainly won’t be doing it again this trip.

Image044.jpg
Image048.jpg

We rode Star Tours to make sure we had a “good ride” for AJ after ToT. By now, it was 8pm and time to leave for bed. It was a great first day at Disney.

Image049.jpg

Next up – switching rooms to Bldg 34 and another day of Star Wars, starting with breakfast at Cape May Cafe

I think this seals the deal, I'll be using Orlando Stroller Rentals in Oct. My boys are a bit smaller so they should be fine. How was dealing with the stroller on the buses, it looks so big when folded?

Wow, all the Star Wars stuff is so cool. My boys would be in heaven, and they aren't even true Star Wars fans (yet). Do they have many characters around the rest of the year?

Your little guys are so cute! I give you so much credit for doing WDW alone with them. I don't think I could manage it. Was Star Tours scary for them at all? Thats one I am not sure about. I was thinking ToT would be a safer bet then Star Tours. I haven't been on either for YEARS so my memory is fuzy.

Thought I would add in all the autographs we got from the star wars characters. A wonderful designer named Chaoscent made all these. They really made our trip special when we were hunting down characters for autographs. My boys love to go through all the cards and talk about them. I cannot thank these designers enough for all their hard work in making autographs cards, t-shirt designs and other special treats for us to use on our trips. They blow my mind with their awesome creativity!!! Where else but with Disney can you find such generous people! :thumbsup2

IMG_3043.jpg
IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

Glad to see that you liked the pirate rooms at the CBR. We've stayed at the CBR three years in a row but haven't tried the pirate rooms yet. They do look cool though.

It looks like your Disney trip is off to a great start. Looking forward to reading more.

LOVING your TR so far! Your boys are just adorable and what great Star Wars pics! I haven't seen much at all and you've got some great great shots. I'd love to take the gang there during it but the timing just doesn't work for us, we are still in school.

Try TOT again in a few years, you might be surprised. I swore we traumatized DS8 for life on it, when he was 4. He was the ONLY one dying to go on it this time and loved it (insanely so).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter