23andMe

Perhaps-i am hoping more just opt for open adoption from the start -it is certainly the more compassionate option for the innocent child. It is the same with sperm donors-they are being “outted” now for donations they made 20+ years ago. My daughters was welcoming to her-we drove 2,500+ miles when she was 15 so she could meet and have dinner with him-answered all her questions and she is happy with that.
As far sperm donors go, I bet that will definitely decrease. And there are many women/couples who couldn’t conceive without that.

Last edited:
ok so when I found my bio mom I flew to Alabama to meet her and her husband- then met up with my sister who lives in NJ who had a gathering at her house where I met all my other relatives. For my daughter who is donor conceived we had found a bunch of her half siblings and also her donor and we took a road trip for 2 months around the US meeting them all- she keeps in touch with almost all of them via a facebook group and snapchat group. I had found who my bio father was but he had already passed away- his nephew was kind enough to send me some pictures of him and also his death certificate- he had passed from some heart issue, my next cardiologist visit I showed him the death certificate and he immediately sent me in for some heart cat scan to rule out it out for me- sucks that he passed before I found him but glad to have the death certificate. He actually died in a homeless shelter in NYC, was a big gambler on horse races-I tracked down the shelter he was in which had now closed but I got in contact with someone who was the head of that shelter and he was able to tell me a bit about him.

Thank you for your reply and sorry you couldn't meet your bio father. :hug:

As far sperm donors go, I bet that will definitely decrease. And there are many women/couples who couldn’t conceive without that.

It will certainly make the number of anonymous donors decrease but there are also donors that choose not to be anonymous.

My thoughts on the whole thing is when you find 27 new family members do you search them out and start visiting and whatnot? I'm not being sarcastic just really want to know.

The average person, probably not. But someone who has been adopted or never met their family, most likely.

I know many people who have found family through DNA testing and did immediately contact and plan visits. Some have gone very well and some have been tragic.

I have also taken a test and really had no interest in the matches, but I have a large family that I am close to so I knew who most of the matches were. If there was a surprise close match (like half sibling or first cousin or something), I probably would have been curious enough to reach out. But I don’t really have any desire/need to rush out and meet my 4th cousins and beyond.

This is off-topic.... But since others are going there.
I am not for 'open adoption' at all.
Either give the child a future with another set of parents, or not.
Adoptive parents should not be viewed as 18-year (or however many year) babysitters.
I know people who have gone with adoptions from outside the U.S. for that very reason.

More than 30 years of research involving thousands upon thousands of adoptive parents, biological parents, and most importantly Adoptees says you're wrong. It's not the best for everyone, but it can be greatly beneficial to the child if the key elements are there.

And I would recommend that you learn a little more about what the term "Open Adoption" means... In some cases the adopted child doesn't have any contact with the birth family at all.

I did 23 and me as well as Ancestry.com. I am adopted and hoped to find out some info. I got my preadoptive birth certificate which has my birth mother's name and place of birth. I was able to do some research and find out a bit about my birth mother and her family. I saw a yearbook picture of my birth mother. Unfortunately most of the family have passed including my birth mother. I did see a death certificate for my birth grandmother and know she passed from heart disease. I also have been in touch with 2 people who are 2nd cousins, most likely on my father's side. Not much info there. But, I like knowing as much as I do. It gives me a sense of who my family was and where they lived. I really would like more of my family medical history but the state my birth mother died in only allows close family to get death certificates. My family is the family who raised me and that will never change. Both my parents have passed but I would never have looked at them as anything other than my true parents. My mother always told me that they choose me. It made me feel special.

I did 23 and me as well as Ancestry.com. I am adopted and hoped to find out some info. I got my preadoptive birth certificate which has my birth mother's name and place of birth. I was able to do some research and find out a bit about my birth mother and her family. I saw a yearbook picture of my birth mother. Unfortunately most of the family have passed including my birth mother. I did see a death certificate for my birth grandmother and know she passed from heart disease. I also have been in touch with 2 people who are 2nd cousins, most likely on my father's side. Not much info there. But, I like knowing as much as I do. It gives me a sense of who my family was and where they lived. I really would like more of my family medical history but the state my birth mother died in only allows close family to get death certificates. My family is the family who raised me and that will never change. Both my parents have passed but I would never have looked at them as anything other than my true parents. My mother always told me that they choose me. It made me feel special.

:hug:

My husband bought us both a kit on ancestry.ca - our tubes of spit are enroute to Ireland as we speak :thumbsup2 There's a sentence I never thought I'd type.....:rotfl:

I got you beat Jason - I'm 0.1% Broadly Northern East African.

32% French and German
18% British and Irish
11% Scandinavian
1% Italian
1% Eastern European
0.3% Native American
0.1% East Asian
The rest is a mix of Broadly Northern or Southern European

My DNA map covers most of the globe lol

I got you beat Jason - I'm 0.1% Broadly Northern East African.

32% French and German
18% British and Irish
11% Scandinavian
1% Italian
1% Eastern European
0.3% Native American
0.1% East Asian
The rest is a mix of Broadly Northern or Southern European

My DNA map covers most of the globe lol

you go sister

I am super white:

England/Wales/Northwestern Europe: 50%
Finland: 19%
Germanic Europe: 15%
Ireland and Scotland: 12%
Sweden 3%

and then:

Cameroon, Congo and Southern Bantu People: 1%

Prior to this I had some a little of my family tree and got my father's side back to Finland so it was cool to have the confirmed. I haven't found which side the Cameroon, Congo and Southern Bantu People comes from. When I get some free time I plan to do some more digging. It's fascinating.

Sharing a great story because of this test.

My aunt's niece has been searching for her biological siblings for years. For Christmas her daughter bought her this test.

Today the nieces biological youngest brother is driving to meet her for the first time as she is in the hospital. He said he will also call my aunt since she knows the family history. She is 84 and legally blind and it is also her hearts desire to meet this nephew too. He was 8 months old the last time and now is 65.

There is also another biological brother but they have not been able to find him yet.

This is so cool, I shared my profile on there data base, and then of the people on 23&me who shared more of my DNA then anyone else, got a hold of me, and as it turns out she is my 2nd cousin on my dads side, my grandad who died about time I was born, was a mean drunk and abusive to my dad and grandmother ( my dad was telling me all this on his death bed)He knew very little about him

Well this lady who got a hold of me, we both share his DNA, and she know all about him and as it turns out she is an Estate Attorney, she is gonna send me all kinds of stuff about the side of my family I never knew about

99.2% European
--61.6% British & Irish
--16.9% French & German
--2.1% Scandanavian
--1.9% Spanish & Portugese
--15.3% "Broadly Northwestern European"
--1.0% "Broadly Southern European"
--1.0% "Broadly European"
0.5% Sub-Saharan African
--0.1% Nigerian
--0.2% "Broadly Congolese & Southern East African"
--0.2% "Broadly West African"
--0.1% "Broadly Sub-Saharan African"
0.1% Native American
0.1% Unassigned (I prefer to think of it as Vulcan)

I did the Ancestry.com one back in like the summer, the first time they ran it on sale. I got a set of results, but within the last several months they revised mine. Originally I was some kind of mixture of England/Wales/Ireland/Scotland/Scandinavia/Europe West/European Jewish......NOW it just has me as like 90-something percent "England, Wales & Northwestern Europe/and the remaining small percentage is Ireland & Scotland. Of course the more people take it, the more stuff comes to light when it comes to matches. That new map thing they have is pretty cool. I have seen that I have matches all over the country when I set it to do expanded to 4th cousins +. In fact those matches will go as far as New Zealand. I would like to visit the family in New Zealand that I didn't know existed until now. :rotfl2:

My DNA matches 3rd cousin and closer are in California, Oregon and Washington which are places I have never been. I know I have family in like Indiana and Illinois, because I actually know them. They just haven't taken the test. My dad's brother is the only other family member that I know that has taken the test, of course he shows up as a close match.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter