The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

I think I might have finally decided on what I want to run in/as.

When we did our back to school shopping trip I got some blue leggings (which in the long term will be pretty versatile) and if I pair that with a blue tank top and make a red sash, I can easily run as Genie. Put part of my hair up in a high ponytail with a gold scrunchy....gold arm sleeves if needed, and possibly a blue skirt. The bulk of the costume can get used in my regular rotation, and I'm not spending a ton extra. After that I'm planning either a rapunzel costume, or working on this merida one I've already started a bit more.

I hear that too! To save $/time myself, I plan on doing 2 looks (nothing off the wall elaborate, but some costume elements) to wear during the first 2 races. Then, I'll wash (or refresh as best I can) and wear again for the next 2 - minus the costume-y bits if they prove to be cumbersome! :laundy:
Smart approach.
At this point my two main concerns are: (1) That we get to do this in person in just over 4 months. (2) That the weather cooperates so that costuming doesn't equal melting.

I'm curious what you consider to be brutally hot. I live and (obviously) train in South Florida, so our frames of reference might be completely different.

I'm not sure about 2014, but in 2020 they red flagged the race due to heat + humidity. IIRC both the temp and humidity were in the upper 80s. That might be tolerable just being outside for some people, but when running an endurance race those conditions was truly brutal.

I'm not sure about 2014, but in 2020 they red flagged the race due to heat + humidity. IIRC both the temp and humidity were in the upper 80s. That might be tolerable just being outside for some people, but when running an endurance race those conditions was truly brutal.

I was interested to see how these compared to the recent 2021 Women's Olympic Marathon.

2020 Disney M - Temp+Dew (81+70) = 151 at 11:53am
2014 Disney HM - Temp+Dew (79+69) = 148 at 11:53am
2021 W Oly M - Temp+Dew (86+73) = 159 at finish; 149 at start

Historical weather for Disney according to Weather Underground. The Women's Olympic M weather is from a VOX article and AP article.

For the question about training temps, my training so far has been primarily in the 87-91 range with plenty of humidity, but in a shirt and shorts. Not that I like it that hot, but I think I'd have been OK at the end of the 2020 full, assuming wearing minimal running gear, not a not costume. (OTOH, temps that people like around 45 and below hurt my lungs).

I was going to pull some historical highs and lows, but that got more involved than I wanted to do so....
Lows, which I'm using as the 5 am starting temps, can range from freezing (re: 2010) to 67 (re: 2020) with highs later in the day being typically 15 to 20 degrees higher. And trying to figure it out months in advance where it will be is a wild guess.

For every WDW race I've done in the past (2 of them) the starting temps were in the high 40's to low 50's, which mean wearing a running shirt and shorts plus a sweatshirt until approaching the MK during the half and full, i.e. around sunrise back when the races were starting 30 minutes later. At that point, I tossed the sweatshirt and was fairly comfortable other than some cool breezes on that long stretch from the MK to AK for the full. Highs later in the day were low to mid 70's. Since I'm usually at the parks during warmer weather, it was both pleasant and odd to be at WDW seeing people in long sleeves and long pants instead of warm weather gear and dripping sweat.

For 2022, I'll be done with the 5k in appx 35 minutes and the 10k in about 70, so well before sunrise and before it really starts warming up, thus the two "winter" costumes for those two races. With the full ending after sunrise, I'll be wearing a costume that should be more heat tolerant. For me, my half should be finishing shortly after the 7:20 sunrise during that weekend, so heat shouldn't be an issue unless it is unusually warm to start. That is both the hope and the plan until closer to Jan.

Contingency plans: check weather leading up to race weekend. If it looks like it'll be colder, I'll buy 4 cheap sweatshirts for race starts. If it looks overly warm, I'll be packing extra shorts and shirts and will do the longer races not in costume. YMMV

I was interested to see how these compared to the recent 2021 Women's Olympic Marathon.

2020 Disney M - Temp+Dew (81+70) = 151 at 11:53am
2014 Disney HM - Temp+Dew (79+69) = 148 at 11:53am
2021 W Oly M - Temp+Dew (86+73) = 159 at finish; 149 at start

Historical weather for Disney according to Weather Underground. The Women's Olympic M weather is from a VOX article and AP article.
Whoa

I was going to pull some historical highs and lows, but that got more involved than I wanted to do so....
Lows, which I'm using as the 5 am starting temps, can range from freezing (re: 2010) to 67 (re: 2020) with highs later in the day being typically 15 to 20 degrees higher. And trying to figure it out months in advance where it will be is a wild guess.

Here you go!

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 11.31.49 AM.png

I pulled these from Weather Underground a few years ago and don't have 2020/2021 data on there. But it goes to show the wide possible outcomes. I personally excel when the T+D is lower than about 80 (so like 35-40 degree windchill). Anything above 100 has a nominal effect. Anything above 120 has a significant effect.

ETA: This is Princess 2021 HM date:

Amazing stats! Thanks for pulling those @DopeyBadger.

I was thinking, watching that Olympic marathon, how it probably compared to the weather we experienced. (I'm definitely not running that pace, but am also out on the course 3+ times longer.) It was an incredible race and totally understandable how many of even the elites had to drop out!

Amazing stats! Thanks for pulling those @DopeyBadger.

I was thinking, watching that Olympic marathon, how it probably compared to the weather we experienced. (I'm definitely not running that pace, but am also out on the course 3+ times longer.) It was an incredible race and totally understandable how many of even the elites had to drop out!
Yeah, I was stunned that they could maintain that pace in those conditions. Amazing.

This is my first RunDisney. I'm registered for the Disney Princess 5K in February. It's been a goal of mine since losing 100 pounds a few years ago so I'm going all out and running it in costume. I ordered an Elsa costume from Amazon that I'm going to alter quite a bit. Thankfully, my mom is a seamstress. I'm planning on doing some treadmill test runs to make certain it's not going to hinder my ability to run. The fabric is very lightweight so I'm thinking it should be ok and I'll layer it over my normal running clothes. My boyfriend is still undecided about what character he's going to be - it's either Kristoff, Sven or Olaf. I tried to get him to be Olaf and wear a shirt that said "some women are worth melting for" but he didn't go for it LOL I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is planning to wear!

I signed up for the Princess 5K as well. It was my very first rD race back in 2016! My mom (who had a knee replacement last year) and aunt (her sister) are doing it with me, so we're working on a Cinderella-themed group costume. Right now we are leaning toward a mashup of the Cinderella mice and Mouseketeers, which should be fun!

I took the Mr Incredible costume for the run this weekend. Race temp was in the low 50's and that worked out perfectly. Best part was having the gloves on at the beginning of the race; my hands weren't cold like they usually are.
Got quite a few compliments, so I'm looking forward to WDW race weekend. The Mr I shirt is cotton and I wore it over a moisture wicking shirt, so shirtwise I was a little damp with sweat at the end, but otherwise good.

Holy decision fatigue, Batman! (Are we allowed to reference DC characters on a Disney forum? ) One costume down, half of one to go.

I have a lavender/lilac skirt on the way and need to figure out if I want to go more Daisy Duck or more Rapunzel with it. And if I want it to be "inspired" or more "costume-y" since it's for the full. There are SO MANY tank tops on etsy that I like the designs, but they are on tri-blend tanks that I know from experience stretch and sag like crazy when they get wet and/or sweaty. Send help.

(Are we allowed to reference DC characters on a Disney forum? )
no.
There are SO MANY tank tops on etsy that I like the designs, but they are on tri-blend tanks that I know from experience stretch and sag like crazy when they get wet and/or sweaty. Send help.
I have so many race pics from Star Wars weekend with my *entire* jog bra hanging out because I decided to wear tri-blend tanks. Let my experience be a warning: No matter how cute the design, it's not worth it. Especially not in Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts