The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

Don’t forget that it can also be cold (30s-40s or even sun-freezing)! So bring all the options/layers! 😬

After running the 2020 marathon, I'm PRAYING for weather like that! I always bring leggings I can pull on under a skirt, arm sleeves I can add on to any costume top, and a hat and gloves, just in case.

After running the 2020 marathon, I'm PRAYING for weather like that! I always bring leggings I can pull on under a skirt, arm sleeves I can add on to any costume top, and a hat and gloves, just in case.
2010 WDW (the year there were snow flurries for the half and water stations froze) was my first marathon and 2020 WDW was my last. I'd take 2010 weather any day over 2020.

2010 WDW (the year there were snow flurries for the half and water stations froze) was my first marathon and 2020 WDW was my last. I'd take 2010 weather any day over 2020.
The 2014 half marathon was brutally hot, too. The other races were fine. But I also prefer the freezing cold races.

I'm not able to go to MW 2022, but I absolutely love runDisney costume planning, so I'm going to follow this thread so I can live vicariously through you all!

I have a basic, workable Merida running costume assembled, but I don’t think I could run a full in it with the forced arm-swing path because of the tutu skirt. So that’s likely for the half, and then I need to figure out something more user friendly for the full....

I ran my first marathon in a tutu. I did a few treadmill test runs and ended up trimming the sides of the tutu so it wouldn't affect my arm swing. Worked great, no problems!

Smart to do a treadmill test. My Elsa costume is supposed to be delivered today. Since it isn't like I'll wear it much, it's an inexpensive one for this race. I'm guessing it'll need some altering to make it run-suitable for a 5 or 10k, just don't know what yet.

I don't like long sleeves, especially on my running shirts since I rarely run in the cold, so I have several shirts that never get worn, including my one Goofy shirt. I cut the sleeves off my half-marathon shirts, and received much eye rolling from the DW, partially for doing so, partially for leaving the ends as-cut.

So I decided to actually hem the remaining shirts so that they are wearable and look nice.
All I can say is, bless the people who have to sew moisture-wicking fabric on a regular basis. The stuff is a PITA to work with. It doesn't like to bend, so trying to fold over a short hem is a pest! I had some success in tacking down the hems with a combination of pins, super glue, and blue painter's tape. The insides of the hems don't look quite as neat and tidy as OCD me would like, but after trying on the shirt, the sleeves are even and straight. I'm pleased with the results. 596466596467

I don't like long sleeves, especially on my running shirts since I rarely run in the cold, so I have several shirts that never get worn, including my one Goofy shirt. I cut the sleeves off my half-marathon shirts, and received much eye rolling from the DW, partially for doing so, partially for leaving the ends as-cut.

So I decided to actually hem the remaining shirts so that they are wearable and look nice.
All I can say is, bless the people who have to sew moisture-wicking fabric on a regular basis. The stuff is a PITA to work with. It doesn't like to bend, so trying to fold over a short hem is a pest! I had some success in tacking down the hems with a combination of pins, super glue, and blue painter's tape. The insides of the hems don't look quite as neat and tidy as OCD me would like, but after trying on the shirt, the sleeves are even and straight. I'm pleased with the results. View attachment 596466View attachment 596467

My mom quilts and made me a quilt out of my race shirts. She said she enjoyed doing something different, and doesn't want to do it again. Because tech material! She said it would pucker and act out in other ways. Thankfully I don't notice it, and I have other race shirts that are cotton or other non-tech material.

The Elsa dress came it. It does fit my girth and shoulders, but is longer than I expected. There is an inverted V printed on the front. I think that gets cut out so as to allow movement and the two sides of the skirt can flow in the wind (Just let them flow....)

This is some way over the top costume silliness for me, but I guess I'm committed now. Or might get committed....

I'm thinking of doing a loose Pluto interpretation for the 5K. Probably a yellow/gold sparkle skirt and arm sleeves and some kind of hat. Maybe something around my neck to look like the collar.

I already have a Minnie skirt and headband, so that will be 10K.

Not sure for the half. I'd like to do a princess, but I can't decide which one. This would be again more of a Disney bounding type costume. I have enough trouble running as it is without an elaborate costume added! I really admire the people that can go all out!

The Elsa dress came it. It does fit my girth and shoulders, but is longer than I expected. There is an inverted V printed on the front. I think that gets cut out so as to allow movement and the two sides of the skirt can flow in the wind (Just let them flow....)

This is some way over the top costume silliness for me, but I guess I'm committed now. Or might get committed....
Can we get a preview?

I'm thinking of doing a loose Pluto interpretation for the 5K. Probably a yellow/gold sparkle skirt and arm sleeves and some kind of hat. Maybe something around my neck to look like the collar.

I already have a Minnie skirt and headband, so that will be 10K.

Not sure for the half. I'd like to do a princess, but I can't decide which one. This would be again more of a Disney bounding type costume. I have enough trouble running as it is without an elaborate costume added! I really admire the people that can go all out!
I've never gone all out with running in a costume before either, but if there was ever a place to do it, WDW is it. Plus there will (hopefully) be cooler weather conducive to costuming without heat stroke. For the little bit of costuming I've done, I try to emulate the character as much as possible, which is why I'll be doing the more elaborate outfits for the two shorter races.

As for princesses, there are a bunch o' them to choose from, and Etsy has a ton of themed running outfits.

I’m really struggling with my desire to “save” money and make my costume(s) and not having to deal with the hassle of making my own costume(s).

The thought of spending $100+ on a tank top and skirt (when the tank tops I’m seeing are usually cotton/poly/spandex blends) that I could make a version of for probably $40 if I coupon’ed hard is making me twitchy. But I also know how much work it is to try to sew with a helpful 2yo underfoot....

I hear you on both counts. I'm spending more time and money than I ought to because, as noted before, I can be a bit OCD (that sound you just heard is my family all going "Well, duh!") about accurately recreating a character, as opposed to a "silhouette" costume that has enough character features and cues to suggest a particular character. That said, after looking at some of the silhouette costumes in photos, many of them are rather clever, and *much* more practical for distance races and races in warmer weather. I have no idea when/if I'll have an occasion to use these costumes again. I may have to come down for a princess weekend just to get a second use....

OTOH, I enjoy the craftsmanship of making stuff, so the costuming falls into that category. It's just sewing instead of wood-working or metal-working.

Update: I went to the store to get some more sewing supplies while I mull over exactly how I want to do the alterations to make the dress practical for running. And I have some accessories that have arrived. I think things are coming together.

I’m really struggling with my desire to “save” money and make my costume(s) and not having to deal with the hassle of making my own costume(s).
I hear that too! To save $/time myself, I plan on doing 2 looks (nothing off the wall elaborate, but some costume elements) to wear during the first 2 races. Then, I'll wash (or refresh as best I can) and wear again for the next 2 - minus the costume-y bits if they prove to be cumbersome! :laundy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter