2022 Med cruisers-how optimistic are you feeling?

Freya424

Earning My Ears
We are currently booked on a June med cruise with greek isles but the closer we get to next year, the more I’m concerned that it won’t happen or the itinerary will be drastically changed. Debating cancelling the cruise and doing a land trip to Europe. I’m so torn because I really want that cruise but I feel like I can’t get excited about planning because it still feels risky. Anyone else feeling this way or am I just making myself crazy?

I'm on the September 2022 Norwegian Fjords. Right now for me its too early to get my head around planning for it. The Magic is almost back in Florida on a crew only transatlantic.

Honestly until The Magic returns to Europe in May 2022 I wont really feel confident about a the scheduled summer 2022 European season.

The UK staycation cruises were very successful, and as we have seen DCL have been cancelling cruises and making adjustments to itineraries right up to 30 days before cruises. While I don't want to think about it, DCL could cancel the scheduled Mediterranean and North Europe cruises and do another summer of UK staycation cruises.

Sad to say...postponing once again! I have cancelled my EBTA 2022 and the b2b from Barcelona. We can wait...and in the meantime, enjoying the lower capacities from the states!

The Mediterranean has been the most active cruise region during the pandemic. Those itineraries are well seasoned. I don't see them cancelling the sailings - they released the itineraries just 5 months ago!

Plus, there is a lot of FCC baked into Europe 2022, and they can't afford to keep recycling it.

In fact, I think 2022 will be one of the best years to visit Europe if you are vaccinated. Most of the continent will be open but with lower crowds - since there will still be restrictions on who can enter.

We're on the first Greek isles cruise. I think the cruise will happen...but I don't want to have to jump thru hoops to get there and back, Covid tests even with being fully vaxxed, wearing only approved masks on the flights vs being allowed to wear the fabric masks we're used to, etc. I've set a deadline of January 31st to decide if we change the cruise to a US based one instead since we have both FCC and OBB expiring 9/22. I do have a hotel reserved, but no airfare yet. I was really hoping we'd be further along in the pandemic by now... Oh well.

I too believe the cruise will happen but I am having a hard time getting excited yet. I don't love the onboard restrictions and testing at the port is a deal breaker for us. We are vaccinated but cannot risk flying a family of 5 overseas with the possibility of being turned away at the port. We will have to cancel if embarkation testing is still in place.

We are booked on June Greek Isle cruise as well. We’ve been going back and forth on keeping the cruise. I hadn’t even thought of the possibility of being turned away at the port due to a positive COVID test. 🙄. This is another factor that has to be considered. We did book one of the Hawaii cruises as a backup. Hoping to make a decision by the end of the year-

We are currently booked on a June med cruise with greek isles but the closer we get to next year, the more I’m concerned that it won’t happen or the itinerary will be drastically changed. Debating cancelling the cruise and doing a land trip to Europe. I’m so torn because I really want that cruise but I feel like I can’t get excited about planning because it still feels risky. Anyone else feeling this way or am I just making myself crazy?
We changed to a Europe land tour for 2022 for the reasons you cited. It just seems like there is a higher bar for cruises to resume compared to non-cruise travel.

I hadn’t even thought of the possibility of being turned away at the port due to a positive COVID test.

Did you also consider being stuck in Europe in quarantine because you failed a COVID test? You would be unable to return to the US for another 10 days. What if you needed medical attention in Europe? Hospital?

-Paul

Did you also consider being stuck in Europe in quarantine because you failed a COVID test? You would be unable to return to the US for another 10 days. What if you needed medical attention in Europe? Hospital?

-Paul
I had not. We do have travel insurance but who knows what they would pay for in these unique times. I appreciate you bring this up!

I had not. We do have travel insurance but who knows what they would pay for in these unique times. I appreciate you bring this up!

What happens if you are terminated from your job for not returning from vacation on time? The right travel insure might cover the extra days spent in Europe, but I doubt it would cover loss of job.

-Paul

What happens if you are terminated from your job for not returning from vacation on time? The right travel insure might cover the extra days spent in Europe, but I doubt it would cover loss of job.

-Paul
The way the job market is now I would shocked if anyone was fired for that. We have been looking for 2 people here at my company and I can't find anyone.

We are confident it will go forward (first Greek in June). We have airfare, hotel, and some tours booked (from previous credits). Should we be unable to cruise, we will turn it into a land trip. But I don't think that will be necessary.

I am not concerned about testing at port. By the time we get to next June, all of us will have been exposed to COVID one hundred times over, making it unlikely that is the time we finally get it (some of us had had it in addition to being vaccinated). We can test before we depart and if we happen to be extremely unlucky to come down with it on the way over, then so be it. The possibility seems remote. If get get stuck in Europe, I can easily work remotely too. It's a risk we are willing to take at this point.

Either way, we are excited and ready to go next June. It's our children's first trip to Europe and there was a time, not to long ago, where we thought my wife's health wouldn't allow this type of trip. I expect it will a true once-in-a-lifetime type of experience.

Last edited:
Also, I'd imagine that most people who can afford a trip like that aren't working at the kinds of jobs that would fire you for getting quarantined with Covid.

I agree but regardless it is still good for anyone heading overseas to go over the 'what if's with their manager or HR. I'd just work remote or take my sick days if I was laid up, and they'd understand, but I wouldn't go without knowing ahead of time what would be expected of me.

I agree but regardless it is still good for anyone heading overseas to go over the 'what if's with their manager or HR. I'd just work remote or take my sick days if I was laid up, and they'd understand, but I wouldn't go without knowing ahead of time what would be expected of me.
Unless you’re retired of course! 😁

We are confident it will go forward (first Greek in June). We have airfare, hotel, and some tours booked (from previous credits). Should we be unable to cruise, we will turn it into a land trip. But I don't think that will be necessary.

I am not concerned about testing at port. By the time we get to next June, all of us will have been exposed to COVID one hundred times over, making it unlikely that is the time we finally get it (some of us had had it in addition to being vaccinated). We can test before we depart and if we happen to be extremely unlucky to come down with it on the way over, then so bet it. The possibility seems remote. If get get stuck in Europe, I can easily work remotely too. It's a risk we are willing to take at this point.

Either way, we are excited and ready to go next June. It's our children's first trip to Europe and there was a time not-to-long ago where we thought my wife's health wouldn't allow this type of trip. I expect it will a true once-in-a-lifetime type of experience.

We're in the same cruise & I have the same mindset as you: If we're turned away at the port due to a positive in our party, we'll be happy to stay in Europe.. We've always wanted to do a sightseeing tour of Italy, so we will turn it into that...I'm fortunate enough that I can work remotely most of the time, so length of time is almost not an issue.

We have hotel for 2 nights in Rome but no flights yet. We're undecided which city to have as our 'base'. We're torn between Rome/London/Madrid. I'm scouring the net almost daily and I'll pull the trigger as soon as I find an OK deal.

Hope we get to be on that ship.

We're in the same cruise & I have the same mindset as you: If we're turned away at the port due to a positive in our party, we'll be happy to stay in Europe.. We've always wanted to do a sightseeing tour of Italy, so we will turn it into that...I'm fortunate enough that I can work remotely most of the time, so length of time is almost not an issue.

We have hotel for 2 nights in Rome but no flights yet. We're undecided which city to have as our 'base'. We're torn between Rome/London/Madrid. I'm scouring the net almost daily and I'll pull the trigger as soon as I find an OK deal.

Hope we get to be on that ship.

If you're turned away at the port, local laws might require you to quarantine instead of sightseeing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter