2022 Goals

comicguy

DIS Veteran
It is that time of year again to come up with and post goals on what is to be accomplished in the near future. Last year we had a good year in accomplishing a number of goals, we did however have a couple that kind of fell flat (weight loss and eating out!) Gee, I wonder can they go hand and hand?!?! I am again using the SMART goals method when setting goals. I hope that a number of people want to particpate as it makes it a bit more fun to post updates

This years list is smaller than in the past as we have gotten a lot of things done and are now prioritizing better what needs to be complete!
So without further ado here is my list of 2022 goals and some explantion of them

Financial
WDW Vacation Fund 50/week
0 / 2600
Well who does not want to have money to go on a WDW vacation!

DVC Fund
0 / 2500
We are continuimg to save towards a down payment for a DVC, we will only do it if we can put down approx half! We currently have 5000 but need 10,000 to really consider this as the amount of points we want to have will be just over 20,000. So we need to continue saving!

House Maintenance / Remodel Fund
0 / 3000
Time to start saving for more projects around the house

Cruise Fund
0 / 1000
Last year we were able to pull 5500 out of unnecesary expenses to save towards our cruise, so this year we just need to save another 1000 for it, should not be too hard, I hope!

Corvette fund
0 / 2000
Again someday my corvette will come! Might be to old to drive by the time I have money for it but still have to have goals!

Roth
0 / 2500
Bumped this up for next year by 500, just a bit extra towards retirement!

New Car Fund
0 / 1000
We generally drive our cars for 10 years, so time to start saving for the next one, I want at least half down for the next car!

Taxable Brokerage Account
0 / 2000
Trying to create a divident based account for retirement that will pay out an average of 10/day over the year. Just a nce little extra income stream for retirement

Cut Discretionary Spending 20%
This gets harder every year as discretionary spending decreases. That is not to say we dont buy things for fun, we do. We are just more mindful about what extras we buy.

Eat out no more than once per week (perferably less)
0 / 52

Create my “In Case of Emergency” Financial Binder
My wife pays the bills and I handle the retirement/savings accounts. So neither of us has the whole picture but we will be rectifying that in the coming months by creating our emergency binder

Run Annual Credit Reports
Usually complete this around tax time as an easy way to keep up on it

Life

Read 40 Books
0 / 40
I find reading helps decrease my stress

Less Procrastination (if it takes 15 minutes or less to do, just get it done!)
0 / 52
The stuff I have managed to get done over the last 2 years by procrastinating less is amazing!

Adventure

Spend a mini vacation someplace new (in addition to our yearly WDW vacation)

Professional
Take 8 free on-line classes
0 / 8
Hoping to rebound from last year and get 8 online classes done this year

Health

Lose 30 lbs
0 / 30
Did not meet this goal last year but looking at doing it this year

Spend more time outdoors
0 / 208 hours (4 hours/week average)

House
Keep kitchen counter and table cleaned off
0 / 240 days
This helps with making the house appear so much neater

Declutter 500 items
0 / 500
More stuff needs to go bye bye!, nuff said!

Make a materials and cost estimation list for downstairs remodel project

Remove old plumbing from basement
Reinsulate the basement
Label Individual circuits in house panel

Install tile for upstairs bathroom

Paint Living room walls
Paint Living room ceiling

House projects that need to be completed but are actually cost effecient this year due to either having the supplies already or just low cost to start with!

Trying to keep my goals simple this year.

Food - Improve my diet. I don’t feel like I eat poorly, but I’ve definitely been overindulging lately. Need to up the vegetables. Will keep a food journal.

Reading - Push the reading with my 4th grader. He has Aspergers and has struggled in this area. I also want to set time aside to finish up books I’m reading as well as read some books out of my usual genres. Personal reading goal of two books per month.

Work - Complete my reports same week as my clients meetings. Keep email inbox organized.

New skill - I’d like to learn how to refurbish furniture.

Save money - We have a few trips planned this year. I also like to start saving for Christmas in January. I feel I’m pretty good at shopping intentionally, but there’s room for improvement. Will attempt a “no buy January” and see how that goes!

2022 Goals Week 1 update

Financial

50 / 2600

DVC Fund
0 / 2500

0 / 3000

Cruise Fund
100 / 1000

Corvette fund
0 / 2000

Roth
0 / 2500

New Car Fund
0 / 1000

600 / 2000

2 / 52

Life

Read 40 Books
1 / 40

1 / 52

Adventure

Professional
0 / 8

Health

Lose 30 lbs
0 / 30

Spend more time outdoors

House
5 / 240 days

Declutter 500 items
0 / 500

Reinsulate the basement

Paint Living room walls

Buy something small for myself every month instead of something bigger once or twice in the year. Save money would be the goal for that but also brighten my months throughout the year instead of waiting for just the one or two times. I feel it this will be the year to stick with that.

Do you have a plan in mind for this one? I'd love to copy it :)

I don't have a specific plan. It is more haphazzard than anything. Kind of; look I have to put these books away and there is no room on the shelf, so get rid of some items that we no longer want to make room for them. Or this box has been next to the bed for the last 6 months, what is it and do we need it, and if we keep it put it where it is suppose to go? and of course we also have natural decluttering, excess supplies used up or cloting that wears out.

I don't have a specific plan. It is more haphazzard than anything. Kind of; look I have to put these books away and there is no room on the shelf, so get rid of some items that we no longer want to make room for them. Or this box has been next to the bed for the last 6 months, what is it and do we need it, and if we keep it put it where it is suppose to go? and of course we also have natural decluttering, excess supplies used up or cloting that wears out.

That works for me. I have seen a few “de-clutter your home in x days” challenges that go area by area. I’m wondering if they are actually helpful.

Week 1 Check-In:

Food - Improve my diet. I don’t feel like I eat poorly, but I’ve definitely been overindulging lately. Need to up the vegetables. Will keep a food journal. Not bad this week as I've been transitioning from holiday mode into the new year. Had a New Year's celebration at my brother's, no school on Monday, late Christmas get-together with my mother and father in law, and a snow day on Wednesday, plus I've been working from home this week, but I've been cutting out soda and thinking more about what I eat. As I type this up, I'm having some steel cut oatmeal and a banana.

Reading - Push the reading with my 4th grader. He has Aspergers and has struggled in this area. I also want to set time aside to finish up books I’m reading as well as read some books out of my usual genres. Personal reading goal of two books per month. Both got in some reading this week. I'm about two-thirds done with a murder mystery, I think I can finish that this week.

Work - Complete my reports same week as my clients meetings. Keep email inbox organized. Haven't had any meetings yet, but will have one Tuesday. Currently working on quarterly reports for last quarter.

New skill - I’d like to learn how to refurbish furniture. This will more than likely be done in spring/summer. I do have a dresser picked out though that I can practice on.

Save money - We have a few trips planned this year. I also like to start saving for Christmas in January. I feel I’m pretty good at shopping intentionally, but there’s room for improvement. Will attempt a “no buy January” and see how that goes! I personally didn't make any purchases this month, but hubby found a deal on a shop-vac, which we needed. I haven't exactly determined the rules of my "no buy" but work will be busy this month, and I have new books I got for Christmas to keep me occupied. I typically don't like shopping, so this should be fairly easy for me; time will tell! :)

2022 Goals Week 2 update

Financial

100 / 2600

DVC Fund
0 / 2500

0 / 3000

Cruise Fund
100 / 1000

Corvette fund
0 / 2000

Roth
0 / 2500

New Car Fund
0 / 1000

727 / 2000

3 / 52

Life
Read 40 Books
1 / 40

2 / 52

Adventure

Professional
0 / 8

Health
Lose 30 lbs
0 / 30

Spend more time outdoors

House
10 / 240 days

Declutter 500 items
0 / 500

Reinsulate the basement

Paint Living room walls

Week 2 update:

Food - Improve my diet. I don’t feel like I eat poorly, but I’ve definitely been overindulging lately. Need to up the vegetables. Will keep a food journal. Haven't started the food journal yet, but I'm done with my busy time at work, so that sounds more doable now.

Reading - Push the reading with my 4th grader. He has Aspergers and has struggled in this area. I also want to set time aside to finish up books I’m reading as well as read some books out of my usual genres. Personal reading goal of two books per month. Finished my first book for the year, started the second, and five chapters in.

Work - Complete my reports same week as my clients meetings. Keep email inbox organized. Finished my reports for last quarter, will get Tuesday's meeting report done hopefully today or tomorrow.

New skill - I’d like to learn how to refurbish furniture. This will more than likely be done in spring/summer. I do have a dresser picked out though that I can practice on.

Save money - We have a few trips planned this year. I also like to start saving for Christmas in January. I feel I’m pretty good at shopping intentionally, but there’s room for improvement. Will attempt a “no buy January” and see how that goes! Didn't spend any money this week, except for my stepdaughter's birthday supper and gift, which I would have done regardless, so I'm not counting that against me in my "no buy" rules. Ate at home all weekend. :)

Week 3 update:

Food - Improve my diet. I don’t feel like I eat poorly, but I’ve definitely been overindulging lately. Need to up the vegetables. Will keep a food journal. Substituting items. Pushing more water.

Reading - Push the reading with my 4th grader. He has Aspergers and has struggled in this area. I also want to set time aside to finish up books I’m reading as well as read some books out of my usual genres. Personal reading goal of two books per month. Finished my second book this week; it was a fast read. I got four Agatha Christie books as Christmas gifts, so my next two months are set. Will probably get a jump start this week.

Work - Complete my reports same week as my clients meetings. Keep email inbox organized. Reports are up to date, have two next week. Inbox is still needing a good go-through, but that will take a whole day, probably. I know where everything is, so I'm content for now.

Save money - We have a few trips planned this year. I also like to start saving for Christmas in January. I feel I’m pretty good at shopping intentionally, but there’s room for improvement. Will attempt a “no buy January” and see how that goes! Took my 16 year old to see the new Spiderman movie on Tuesday. I don't know how much longer it will stay in our theater, so I didn't want to wait for next month. For two tickets, a large soda, a water, and our refillable popcorn bucket, the total was $25.50.

2022 Goals Week 3 update (delayed from being in WDW last week)

Financial

150 / 2600

DVC Fund
0 / 2500

0 / 3000

Cruise Fund
100 / 1000

Corvette fund
0 / 2000

Roth
0 / 2500

New Car Fund
0 / 1000

1477 / 2000

4 / 52

Life
Read 40 Books
1 / 40

4 / 52

Adventure

Professional
0 / 8

Health
Lose 30 lbs
0 / 30

Spend more time outdoors

House
15 / 240 days

Declutter 500 items
0 / 500

Reinsulate the basement

Paint Living room walls

Last edited:
About reading with the 4th grader, here's something that worked really well with my kids -- oddly enough, my youngest and I were just talking about it last night, and she remembered it fondly: She did great with "little kid books" but was reluctant to move on to chapter books. She said later she mistakenly thought she had to finish them in one sitting, and she found the idea intimidating. Anyway, she and I would lie in bed at night, and I'd read one chapter -- she'd read one chapter. For a time, she read slowly, and she kinda "lost the story" because she had to focus so strongly on the mechanics of reading. Me reading every other chapter "kept her going" and kept her interested. It was a simple technique, but it really worked.

2022 Goals Week 4 update

Financial

200 / 2600

DVC Fund
0 / 2500

0 / 3000

Cruise Fund
200 / 1000

Corvette fund
0 / 2000

Roth
0 / 2500

New Car Fund
0 / 1000

1477 / 2000

4 / 52

Life
Read 40 Books
2 / 40

6 / 52

Adventure

Professional
0 / 8

Health
Lose 30 lbs
0 / 30

Spend more time outdoors

House
20 / 240 days

Declutter 500 items
44 / 500

Reinsulate the basement

Paint Living room walls

Week 4 update:

Food - Improve my diet. I don’t feel like I eat poorly, but I’ve definitely been overindulging lately. Need to up the vegetables. Will keep a food journal. I started the food journal this week!

Reading - Push the reading with my 4th grader. He has Aspergers and has struggled in this area. I also want to set time aside to finish up books I’m reading as well as read some books out of my usual genres. Personal reading goal of two books per month. Starting book 3, continuing reading with my 4th grader.

Work - Complete my reports same week as my clients meetings. Keep email inbox organized. I am current on everything. Inbox needs work, but again, I know where everything is.

New skill - I’d like to learn how to refurbish furniture. This will more than likely be done in spring/summer. I do have a dresser picked out though that I can practice on. Found one of my fb friends does this in his spare time, and he let me know he can give me some pointers when I'm ready!

Save money - We have a few trips planned this year. I also like to start saving for Christmas in January. I feel I’m pretty good at shopping intentionally, but there’s room for improvement. Will attempt a “no buy January” and see how that goes! Today marks the last day of the month, and I won't be purchasing anything. I consider my "no buy January" a success; other than bills and necessities, I only spent money on stepdaughter's birthday (which I wasn't counting against me), the shop vac (technically out of husband's money, lol), and the movie with my 16 year old. YAE!! We re-worked our budget this past week. Refinanced the mortgage, which I'm excited about, but we agreed to keep paying our usual payment to get extra paid on the principle, got on a budget plan for our energy bill, and got rid of a streaming service we haven't been using. I'm excited about these changes. :)

2022 Goals Week 5 update

Financial

250 / 2600

DVC Fund
0 / 2500

0 / 3000

Cruise Fund
200 / 1000

Corvette fund
0 / 2000

Roth
500 / 2500

New Car Fund
0 / 1000

1502 / 2000

5 / 52

Life
Read 40 Books
2 / 40

8 / 52

Adventure

Professional
0 / 8

Health
Lose 30 lbs
0 / 30

Spend more time outdoors

House
25 / 240 days

Declutter 500 items
44 / 500

Reinsulate the basement

Paint Living room walls

2022 Goals Week 6 update

Financial

300 / 2600

DVC Fund
0 / 2500

0 / 3000

Cruise Fund
200 / 1000

Corvette fund
0 / 2000

Roth
500 / 2500

New Car Fund
0 / 1000

1527 / 2000

5 / 52

Life
Read 40 Books
3 / 40

10 / 52

Adventure

Professional
0 / 8

Health
Lose 30 lbs
0 / 30

Spend more time outdoors

House
30 / 240 days

Declutter 500 items
44 / 500

Reinsulate the basement

Paint Living room walls

2022 Goals Week 7 update

Financial

350 / 2600

DVC Fund
0 / 2500

0 / 3000

Cruise Fund
200 / 1000

Corvette fund
0 / 2000

Roth
1000 / 2500

New Car Fund
0 / 1000

1552 / 2000

6 / 52

Life
Read 40 Books
3 / 40

12 / 52

Adventure

Professional
0 / 8

Health
Lose 30 lbs
0 / 30

Spend more time outdoors

House
35 / 240 days

Declutter 500 items
44 / 500

Reinsulate the basement

Paint Living room walls

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter