2021 Midwest DIS Meet- May 14-16, 2020 Starved Rock State Park

Teamubr

From somewhere outside StL
Well, Midwest DIS friends,

It is that time of year when I start thinking about the next camping season (for our "down south" friends that have just started their season, we are envious)

Tigger92662 and I have talked prior about finding someplace in central Illinois. From prior attendees and interested folks, that seems like a good central location for most of us. There is a state park that I have never been to, but have always wanted to, that fits the bill and, as of this morning, is still showing good availability in May.

So let's have another Midwest DIS Meet May 14-16 (weekend after Mother's Day). Everyone is welcome. Reservations are through ReserveAmerica.

Here are the details:

Starved Rock State Park- LeSalle County, IL

It sits on the Illinois River (campground is not on the water). There is a lodge with dining and numerous hiking trails. The park is known for its canyons and waterfalls formed as the glaciers receded. The campground has electric only sites (30 and 50amp) that is typical in most Illinois SPs. Here is the campground map. (I have site 25 booked- left side loop at the top.)

Hiking trails map

\542367

More of the park.

542370 542371

j

Last edited:
That place looks great. I thought anything south of Chicago was Southern Illinois 🤔 😄

I'm that weekend is tentatively open for me, but that's 7 hours one way for a weekend while the kids are in school. Might not be in the cards this year. I'll keep tabs for sure though.

It looks like the Midwest DIS Meet 2021 is off and running. So far there are 3 4 of us with reservations. We would love to have more join us. I know there are a number of DIS friends in the Rockford, S WI, S IL and Chicago areas. (And LA- Lower Alabama that is. Welcome Ed!)

Here's what we have so far.

Site 23- Neighbor Tim
Site 25- TeamUBR
Site 26- Tigger92662
Site 27- Bama_Ed
Site 28- Bjschil

j

Last edited:
WTH. I booked #27 coming in on the 14th and staying until the 21st (subject to changes). I got family up that way in the Dundee area (west of Chi-town) I could visit after the DisMeet and I would kill to get to go to a Cubs game at Wrigley. That's on my bucket list.

I had some other plans for that time in May that might benefit from being re-sheduled to August.

Reservations are one of those things that are better to have than need. Et cetera.

But that is awfully far up into Yankee territory - I'll have to put my Ohio hat on.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

FANTASTIC Ed!

j

I'm excited. The Washington Nationals have a 4-game home stretch starting on the 17th with the Cubs. Hopefully 1-2 of those will check the item on my bucket list: Warning - I wear my Indians jersey to MLB games. I'm a Cleveland guy when it comes to MLB. And I can be obnoxious!

Bama Ed

As long as you're not wearing any Cubs wear... (Hi Glenda!) I've never been to Wrigley either. Cubs/Cardinals games are so epic. I've been to them in StL.

Hopefully we will have a MLB season by May. I'm not going to get a season ticket package next year. It was really disappointing this year as they refunded each game that was missed.

I'll have the satellite up at the DIS Meet. If there is baseball on, we can find it.

j

Barb,

I have hung up my organizing spurs. To quote William Tecumsah Sherman (the famous Union Civil War general):

"If nominated I will not run"
"If elected I will not serve"

I am happy to follow the lead of Teamubr and yourself. I can laugh at your jokes and applaud like crazy during your speeches. Becuz I been there.

DW and I hope to see you and Bill this spring.

Ed

Fun idea! We have our mother's day weekend booked already. Local trip, but it works for our family since school and all.

I figured I'd give this a little bump with some details on the lodge and restaurant. For those between campers or don't want to tow that far, the lodge has a number of options for rooms. The lodge was built in the 1930s as part of the CCC. We have a similar lodge at a SP near me (Pere Marquette) and the lodge is worth the visit just to take in the craftsmanship. I'm not sure about the lodge at Starved Rock, but the one at Pere Marquette was reportedly built in less than 100 days. The lodges were built to "rival national park lodges". Here is the description from the web page.

"The historic stone-and-log Lodge features 69 guest rooms. Hotel rooms feature full baths, coffee makers, hair dryers, TV/DVD (except the Pioneer Cabins), heat and air conditioning. The architecture of the historic Lodge, built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's, rivals that of national park lodges. Just outside the Lodge, there are an additional 21 cabin rooms (some with wood-burning fireplaces) which are surrounded by towering pines and century-old oak trees. Lodge guests enjoy an indoor pool complex with two saunas, a hot tub, a children's pool (gated) and an outdoor sunning patio. Within the Lodge, guests enjoy the gift shop, cafe, lounge, outdoor dining and entertainment on the veranda. "

j

Last edited:
Is there/how is the wifi? Be a long drive but I didn't buy a camper just to sit in the yard.

Arc,

Like most SPs in Illinois, don't count on wifi, even if advertised. Illinois is broke, we can't afford those fancy things. :) The lodge claims to have wifi in their rooms. I suspect wifi around the lodge and cabins may be ok, but the cg isn't very close to the lodge.

Given it's location close to I-80 and I-39, I suspect cell service is decent, but that burns through data if you don't have an unlimited plan. We'd love to have you. My place is about 3 hours south of the SP and I have a 30 amp hookup in the driveway if you want to overnight here on the way.

j

Hello,
My husband and I purchased a new to us travel trailer this year and unfortunately we did not get to use it much this year. On our first big trip planned for the year we traveled down to Mammoth Cave KY for our first stop of the trip. We had a nice time and did the one tour offered however the next morning we got up and I went for a run and my husband an avid cyclist went for a ride and he never returned. He ended up wrecking and being thrown down a ravine and had to be life flighted to University of Louisville hospital. He was a mess but luckily has fully recovered but our camping season was cut short.

All this to say, we are ready to do a lot of camping in 2021 and I was wondering if newbies are welcome to join? My family actually lives about 45 min from Starved Rock and I always drive home to visit in May usually, so we could camp and visit family! We are in our 40's and this is our 3rd camper. Our kids are pretty much grown except for our youngest who will be 17 on Dec. 24th. She doesn't come camping with us much as she would prefer to work and earn money so she hangs with grandma and grandpa.

All this to say, we are ready to do a lot of camping in 2021 and I was wondering if newbies are welcome to join?
Of Course!

That's why I posted on the Community Camping site. We would love to have you join us. Obviously some of us have been around the DIS for a long time and have met at other DIS Meets, but everyone is welcome, newbie or oldie.

If you have a love for camping and Disney and Cardinals baseball, you'll fit right in. Being 45 minutes from Starved Rock, you may not be a Cardinals fan, but that's OK. I don't think anyone else is either except DW and I.

Let me know if you make a reservation and I'll add your site number to the list above.

j

@Deffenm

Sorry to hear about your husbands wreck. I used to be a long distance cyclist. I've had my fair share of wrecks, but nothing that severe. Glad to hear he is recovered. My only child will be 23 on the 15th, but he loves camping and Disney as much as I do. He joins us as much as work allows and usually brings a friend or 2. Hopefully we will get to meet you in May.

j

Hello,
My husband and I purchased a new to us travel trailer this year and unfortunately we did not get to use it much this year. On our first big trip planned for the year we traveled down to Mammoth Cave KY for our first stop of the trip. We had a nice time and did the one tour offered however the next morning we got up and I went for a run and my husband an avid cyclist went for a ride and he never returned. He ended up wrecking and being thrown down a ravine and had to be life flighted to University of Louisville hospital. He was a mess but luckily has fully recovered but our camping season was cut short.

All this to say, we are ready to do a lot of camping in 2021 and I was wondering if newbies are welcome to join? My family actually lives about 45 min from Starved Rock and I always drive home to visit in May usually, so we could camp and visit family! We are in our 40's and this is our 3rd camper. Our kids are pretty much grown except for our youngest who will be 17 on Dec. 24th. She doesn't come camping with us much as she would prefer to work and earn money so she hangs with grandma and grandpa.

We would Love to meet both of you. We can't make all the DIS meets as we are retired (?) owners of a larger dairy farm. Our two sons and wonderful employees make this work, but sometimes Bill feels the need to be around for haying, etc! We are coming to this one. We hope we can meet you. We live north of Galena in SW Wisconsin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter