2021: May vs August vs December

JM_97

DIS Veteran
For a 2021 trip, what would be the pros and cons of each? This would be an adults only trip and would either stay at CR/BLT or BC/BCV. I know it's impossible to predict what Covid will be like at that point but generally, what would be reasons to go (or not) during those months?

December I think has the best weather although it can be cold. May is definitely on the warm side but crowds aren't bad. Not August - hot, humid and rains almost every day.

I would normally choose May based on weather and crowd levels. With that said, Covid makes 2021 very difficult to predict. December would be the safe bet as long as you don‘t mind the holiday crowd levels. I would personally advise against August.

I would normally choose May based on weather and crowd levels. With that said, Covid makes 2021 very difficult to predict. December would be the safe bet as long as you don‘t mind the holiday crowd levels. I would personally advise against August.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to decide. I'll wait it out a little bit longer before making a finite decision. But I'm definitely leaning towards May or December.

I would avoid August unless you absolutely had no choice. You will have the sweltering heat and some of the largest crowds outside of the holidays. December I would only choose in the early part of the month, and definitely avoid Christmas Week and the week before(highest crowds of the year). New Years Eve only if you wanted to be there for the celebration, as the crowds can get pretty big then as well. In December, I would go in the earlier part of the month to have a slower Christmas Party(if you are into that) or even the last couple weeks of November. To avoid the problems with August, you could go the last couple weeks of September or the first week or two of November and hit Food & Wine and MNSSHP if you wanted. Just a couple of alternatives to consider. Of the three you listed, the first couple weeks of May would be my choice. Decent weather for the South(Florida isn't much different from my home state of Virginia), though it can be slightly warm(but not as bad as August), and it's before schools are out for summer so you don't have all the crowds. As for Covid, I wouldn't worry too much about that yet for 2021. Make your plans and have a contingency in mind in case you need to reschedule. I am currently trying to plan a trip to WDW, a trip to DLR, and a trip to Europe all around each other between now and the end of 2021, so you can imagine how much trouble I am dealing with.

I would avoid August unless you absolutely had no choice. You will have the sweltering heat and some of the largest crowds outside of the holidays. December I would only choose in the early part of the month, and definitely avoid Christmas Week and the week before(highest crowds of the year). New Years Eve only if you wanted to be there for the celebration, as the crowds can get pretty big then as well. In December, I would go in the earlier part of the month to have a slower Christmas Party(if you are into that) or even the last couple weeks of November. To avoid the problems with August, you could go the last couple weeks of September or the first week or two of November and hit Food & Wine and MNSSHP if you wanted. Just a couple of alternatives to consider. Of the three you listed, the first couple weeks of May would be my choice. Decent weather for the South(Florida isn't much different from my home state of Virginia), though it can be slightly warm(but not as bad as August), and it's before schools are out for summer so you don't have all the crowds. As for Covid, I wouldn't worry too much about that yet for 2021. Make your plans and have a contingency in mind in case you need to reschedule. I am currently trying to plan a trip to WDW, a trip to DLR, and a trip to Europe all around each other between now and the end of 2021, so you can imagine how much trouble I am dealing with.

Yeah I mean I'm from the South so the heat won't be a new experience, I just know that walking around all day will be exhausting. On my last trip I was there in October and it was still pretty hot, especially the day I was at Magic Kingdom.

I think I'm definitely narrowed it down to May or December. And if it's Dec. it would be that first week to avoid the craziness of Christmas and NYE. May would also be the beginning-middle of the month.

In terms of resorts, I think I'd either rent DVC at Bay Lake or Beach Club. If I didn't do that, I'd go moderate. But they also don't have the prices for those yet, or so it appears.

Yeah I mean I'm from the South so the heat won't be a new experience, I just know that walking around all day will be exhausting. On my last trip I was there in October and it was still pretty hot, especially the day I was at Magic Kingdom.

I think I'm definitely narrowed it down to May or December. And if it's Dec. it would be that first week to avoid the craziness of Christmas and NYE. May would also be the beginning-middle of the month.

In terms of resorts, I think I'd either rent DVC at Bay Lake or Beach Club. If I didn't do that, I'd go moderate. But they also don't have the prices for those yet, or so it appears.

I can see that timing working well. I usually try to overlap with F&W when I can. Personal interest. October 2021, I have a Greek Isles cruise so I am planning around that for next year. As for the resorts, they aren’t taking new reservations yet. Will probably be a week or two(at least) so keep checking.

The main disadvantage of May is the love bugs. Some years are worse than others in terms of how many there are. Last year in May, they were at a maximum. An advantage would be the Flower and Garden Festival.

First week of December is probably a good time to go.

The last 2 week of Aug and the 1st 2 weeks of Dec are generally lower crowd levels. Have gone at these times on multiple trips. Late Aug you might be able to go to MNSSHP. Early Dec you have the holiday theming and MVMCP. Depends what you like. How COVID will affect parties and crowd levels in 2021 is anyone's guess.

The last 2 week of Aug and the 1st 2 weeks of Dec are generally lower crowd levels. Have gone at these times on multiple trips. Late Aug you might be able to go to MNSSHP. Early Dec you have the holiday theming and MVMCP. Depends what you like. How COVID will affect parties and crowd levels in 2021 is anyone's guess.

I'd pick Christmas before Halloween. I didn't go to MNSSHP last time, but I have seen the decorations. They were awesome, but I'd love to go when the Christmas decorations are up and see for myself what the hype is all about.

I'd pick Christmas before Halloween. I didn't go to MNSSHP last time, but I have seen the decorations. They were awesome, but I'd love to go when the Christmas decorations are up and see for myself what the hype is all about.

I’m the exact opposite on that myself. Can’t stand Christmas but love Halloween. Assuming DLR is open in October, since WDW cancelled MNSSHP this year, I will be headed to California in October for the Dias de los Muertas celebration they have out there, Oogie Boogie Bash or not.

The further in the future will be the best; so, I pick December. By that time you might have more shows, parades, and fireworks available. More restaurants should be open. Park hours will hopefully be longer. Extra magic hours will hopefully come back by December. Dining plans may be back, too. Park reservations may go away by that time. Fast pass may be back.

The first two weeks of December would be better than the last last two weeks.
There may be some holiday activities to enjoy, too by that time.

For a 2021 trip, what would be the pros and cons of each? This would be an adults only trip and would either stay at CR/BLT or BC/BCV. I know it's impossible to predict what Covid will be like at that point but generally, what would be reasons to go (or not) during those months?
Do you like to swim? If so, I recommend May at Beach Club. If not, I recommend December at either one. August is less desireable due to rain and potential hurricanes.

December is a high demand time for DVC rentals, so get your ducks in a row & be ready to rent right at 11 or 7 months.

May is a lower demand DVC rental time, so that won't be as critical.

Be sure to get cancel for any reason travel insurance, if you do a DVC rental, as those companies don't have very consumer friendly policies.

December is a high demand time for DVC rentals, so get your ducks in a row & be ready to rent right at 11 or 7 months.

May is a lower demand DVC rental time, so that won't be as critical.

Be sure to get cancel for any reason travel insurance, if you do a DVC rental, as those companies don't have very consumer friendly policies.

Yeah I'm liking May more and more. We plan on taking breaks at the resort in the middle of the day so it'd be great to really take advantage of the pool.

I have heard David's is good for DVC rentals, but am open to any other methods

The further in the future will be the best; so, I pick December. By that time you might have more shows, parades, and fireworks available. More restaurants should be open. Park hours will hopefully be longer. Extra magic hours will hopefully come back by December. Dining plans may be back, too. Park reservations may go away by that time. Fast pass may be back.

The first two weeks of December would be better than the last last two weeks.
There may be some holiday activities to enjoy, too by that time.

Yeah I think December would be awesome to go, but May might just work out better. But if for some reason we can't go in May or if there ends up still being a lot of things not happening, then December it is. Can't predict what it will look like that far in advance but we'll have contingency plans

Yeah I'm liking May more and more. We plan on taking breaks at the resort in the middle of the day so it'd be great to really take advantage of the pool.

I have heard David's is good for DVC rentals, but am open to any other methods
Any major store is fine imo (I've used DVC Rental Store), but they all have uncustomer friendly policies in general. You can't change or cancel your reservation for any reason, period. Even if the parks close, you'll still have to pay for the DVC rental if those are open. That's why I recommend travel insurance.

my favorite times to go are last week in April/first week in May and first 2 weeks in December. So I would recommend May if you want the Flower and Garden show or December if you want the holiday decorations and atmosphere. I personally can't handle the extreme heat of the Summer months at all, but probably cost a little less going in August if you can brave the heat. Also, I think August a little more crowded with kids out of school then early May or early December, in my experience anyway. After 42 years going to WDW, I've basically been at least once every month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!