2020 August Flights......any tips for when to book?

deno

EPCOT Addict
Hi all

Flying out to Orlando in August 2020.

Historically i've always made the bookings on October 1st and gone with AA or US Airways with a stopover. After a disastrous layover the last time around i'm fancying a direct flight.

The reason we used to go with the stopover was because Virgin just seemed to get more expensive over the years and we could go indirect and save £2000+

So i'm thinking, is there a 'sweet spot' for getting the best prices? Is it when they go on sale or is it worth waiting into the new year? Thomas Cook have my dates available to book on their site right now but it's coming in at £4,680 which, to me, is a bit over the top and i'd like to shave a few hundred off that if I can.

Anyone have an experience of this?

Thanks

Dene

Mrs Doubtfire

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure when the best time is, I think you just need to keep checking and book when you are happy. Some have had success with good fly Drive prices with BA, which you can book earlier than the scheduled flight release dates. Obi has posted that BA have a sale on now so you could check to see if anything comes up.

chocolateMinnie

DIS Veteran
When we have looked the last few years we have found that direct flights are cheapest when they are launched (11 months out) or in the January sales for indirect. This has been Virgin and BA. obviously this won’t always be the case .

• alanandline

Mouseketeer
    In my experience from London direct flights are always a good amount more expensive than indirect. Of course indirect has its issues, either just the journey is longer or more of a problem if the first flight is delayed. I’ve watched the prices since 2013 before flying in 2014 and I’m too going Aug 2020. I’ve found the Gatwick Orlando direct flights tend to be about £1200 per person vs indirect about £800. For me at this difference I will go indirect, but make sure the layover is ideally close to 3 hours for return, where I’ve seen some as crazy as under an hour!

I find the direct tend to be cheapest on release and rise from there. You’ll here people say wait for the sale, but I’ve not found Aug really reduced. Indirect can be a bit of a lottery. In 2014 I booked on release but this year on release they were a little higher but for the last couple of months back to the £800 odd figure. It’s always a risk either way.

Woodview

DIS Veteran
    Have you checked Dublin to Orlando Direct with Aer Lingus ?

Check your flight time from UK to give you a shortish wait time .

You also go through Immigration in Dublin & arrive in Orlando (MCO ) as a Domestic Passenger .

deno

EPCOT Addict
    Thanks all. I think i'll curb my eagerness for now and reassess at the end of September. It's just that for the last few trips i've gone indirect to save money and had zero problems (in fact in a few ways i've preferred it as we could have a stretch, a quick bite to eat and clear immigration before hitting Orlando) but the last time we had issues with the connecting flight and the stress levels were high as we were sat on the plane to MCO and had to get off due to issues, then we got back on, then they announced the flight crew had gone over the time they could fly so they had to get a new crew which was 2 hours later.... Nightmare, we ended up getting to the hotel at 3:45am. It still gives me sweats thinking of it ;-)

And it seems that Disney are really ramping up the resort prices for 2020 so that could play a factor too. I think i'm starting to get priced out....

marcais

Mouseketeer
    I also noticed how much prices have gone up for next year.

My last trip was Aug '18. We had booked it in Sep '17, and 1 week on resort was £192 a night. Out of curiosity I looked at making the same booking for Aug '19 after we got back, so this would have been in Sep '18, and the price for the hotel was the same (although the park tickets had gone up).

I looked at prices for Aug '20 shortly after the dining plan offer went live and the price quoted for the same level of room in the hotel was £254 a night.

In fact I've just looked back at the invoice for our Aug '17 trip (booked in Oct '16) and the price then was £155 a night. That's a more than 60% increase in hotel rates for the same week (1st Thursday in August, for 1 week). I hadn't realised it was that much.

This is for Caribbean Beach, so I expected the prices would go up when the Skyliner went into service, but that's a hefty increase.

Edit; I've just realised that a chunk of that price increase might be down to exchange rates. Not all of it, by any means, but a fair whack. Doesn't make the sting in my pocket any less, but we can't blame Disney for all of it.

Last edited:
  • Marciahogan

Earning My Ears
    Hi Guys, I'm jumping on this thread as I too just booked for August 2020 (for my 40th!). I've always travelled in March/April so this is my first time in August and no doub the price will be a shock. Some people have mentioned Norweigen Airlines, anyone tried these? They come out very cheap so wondering if they have same service levels on board (i.e films etc).

Also, I too have friends that always fly from Dublin, althought with Brexit round the corner this now sounds like it could be a double border...

I've booked Port Orleans French Quarter for me and my son, seemed to be the same price-ish for Spring, August or October so went for the bday option.

marcais

Mouseketeer
    I've always booked long-haul flights as soon as they become available. Long haul carriers tend not to have the sales and promotions that short-haul carriers might, so the prices don't tend to fluctuate, but rather just creep up as it approaches the departure date.

Flights tend to have about an 11-month lead time, so flights for Aug 2020 will probably go live in mid-Sept or so. In terms of finding your particular carrier or route, I'd say use tools like Skyscanner, Kayak, or ITA Matrix to scout out your options.

I've never flown with Norwegian, but their website suggests they have a similar system to most airlines in terms of in-flight entertatinment - https://www.norwegian.com/uk/travel-info/on-board/in-flight-entertainment/

POFQ is the hotel we're looking at for our next trip, but that's still 3 years away. ☹

Marciahogan

Earning My Ears
    I've always booked long-haul flights as soon as they become available. Long haul carriers tend not to have the sales and promotions that short-haul carriers might, so the prices don't tend to fluctuate, but rather just creep up as it approaches the departure date.

Flights tend to have about an 11-month lead time, so flights for Aug 2020 will probably go live in mid-Sept or so. In terms of finding your particular carrier or route, I'd say use tools like Skyscanner, Kayak, or ITA Matrix to scout out your options.

I've never flown with Norwegian, but their website suggests they have a similar system to most airlines in terms of in-flight entertatinment - https://www.norwegian.com/uk/travel-info/on-board/in-flight-entertainment/

POFQ is the hotel we're looking at for our next trip, but that's still 3 years away. ☹
    Thank you so much, I'll have a look at that as I have a feeling they will come out ok. I've also seen a few people metion flying into Sanford airport?

3 years will fly, its 3 years since I've been and it seems like yesterday! I really wanted to go back to Carribean Beach Club but the reviews for POFQ look so good, and it looks so pretty! Definitely worth a punt.

marcais

Mouseketeer
    Sanford might be cheaper, but it's not as handy, and if you're staying onsite you won't be able to use the Disney Magical Express to get from the airport to POFQ and back again at the end of your trip, so you'll need to factor in the cost of getting to and from the airport when figuring out if it's worth it.

• ~Piglet~

DIS Veteran
    I always thought that flights would be best price when 1st released, but after my own experience this week maybe its not the case? We booked our hotel/dining plan earlier in the year with the view that if flights weren't right price-wise then we wouldn't go. Prices for our dates on 1st release were so high, it was a bit of a shock. Resigned ourselves that we probably wouldn't go back after all... Fast forward two months, I decide to check flights on a whim and they had come down by over £1200! At first I thought I'd only clicked one way or missed someone off, but no I re-checked and all good. New credit card activated and we're all booked! My Sister is still monitoring her flight dates, her prices went up by over £200 from yesterday. If you see a price you are happy with, book it asap and don't look again! 🙂

McCrae

DIS Veteran
    Just been on the Virgin Glasgow direct flights. Flight time just over 8 hours, price not bad. Only took 20 mins to clear passport and customs.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News