2019 Candlelight Processional with Lin-Manuel Miranda - photos and video Sunday 5:30 showing

mre200200

Joe Flowers
Merry Christmas from the Flowers' family. I just finished my Christmas Lights (click here if you want to see more on that), but it doesn't really start feeling like Christmas until Disneyland's Annual Candlelight Processional happens.
ChristmasOutside-1000.jpg

It's the first full weekend of December, so it's time for Disneyland to host its annual Candlelight Processional!
While Theresa and I had been annual pass holders since 2002, Candlelight wasn't a published event and we hadn't heard of it before. It was in 2008 when we met Ruston for the very first time at Jacob's birthday party that he told us a little bit more about it. Ruston gave us a bit of the history, plus told us that he'd be performing. We went to see him that year (and nearly every year since) and soon we all became good friends.
PreparingCandlelight-1003.jpg

Sadly Theresa is home with the kids who are sick, but I'm healthy and I'm going to the parks to see Ruston! This is the very first time I've used the trams from this new parking garage. I'm hauling a bit of camera gear today.
PreparingCandlelight-1000.jpg

I love that they still hold Candlelight on Main Street. It just wouldn't be the same inside an auditorium. Having seen it so many times, I've taken quite a few pictures.
2008 - John Stamos
2009 - Jon Voight
2010 - Tom Skerritt
2011 - Gary Sinise
2012 - Kurt Russell, Edward James Olmos, Dick Van Dyke, John Stamos
2014 - Beau Bridges
2015 - Geena Davis
2016 - Ginnifer Goodwin
2017 - Chris Hemsworth
2018 - Chris Pratt

By 9:15am, I was inside the park.
PreparingCandlelight-1001.jpg

Over the years, I've made a few friends who also really like Candlelight. One of them couldn't make it, but I knew they'd really like one of the limited edition pins.
PreparingCandlelight-1002.jpg

It's 9:30am. Today is not about rides. Not about shows. It's about seeing my buddy perform tonight, plus get to see the whole Candlelight show. And tonight, Ruston is going to be in a place of high honor. More on that coming up.
And because it's just me, I don't have to worry about keeping anyone else entertained and can do what I please today. I'm going to make sure I have the best view possible tonight, so I'm here on the curb and I'm not leaving until Candlelight is over.
In my best Wandering Oaken (from Frozen) voice - "The only one crazy enough to be out here is you dear."
PreparingCandlelight-1003.jpg

"You and these fellows. Hoo-hoo!"
PreparingCandlelight-1004.jpg

But seriously, yes, there are already people lining up to watch it. I made this map back in 2014 after getting asked about where to stand to watch it. I updated it slightly this year to add the narrator's location.
As far as waiting goes, the bench seats are taken immediately at park opening. I like the light-red area on the right instead. It's a little further from the narrator, but it's got a good view of the stage and you're not looking through a bunch of trees.
Candlelight-Seating-2019.jpg

And now, we wait. I spent the time chatting with the cast members working the area. Last year they didn't allow people to start waiting until 12:30. It seems this year they are letting people camp out, though I was warned that someone might decide to make everyone get up and leave. With so many cast members, it's difficult to know who gets the final say of what to do.
All morning the characters are out and about. Occasionally they'd come over and interact with the people waiting.
PreparingCandlelight-1005.jpg

Hey! I recognize these gals. We were all waiting together last year. They watched Candlelight on Saturday, but they recognized me from last year and stopped by to say hi. I know Spirit jerseys are popular now. Cassandra, you did a great job on these homemade Candlelight Spirit jerseys, with a big glittery Candlelight across the back. Thanks for saying hi!
PreparingCandlelight-1006.jpg

More people started to show up, which was great and helped pass the time. This was around 11am. Verlene watched the show yesterday and now she's back again today.
PreparingCandlelight-1007.jpg

By noon, the curb is mostly full. Cast members were keeping an eye on things, which I did appreciate. Around 11:15am someone walked by with a blanket, tossed it on the curb, announced "I'll be back", and left. They might have spent 15 seconds there. A cast member came by 30 minutes later, asked who the blanket belonged to and removed it. Thank you. (by the way, they returned at 3:30pm, over 4 hours later, and asked where their spot was).
PreparingCandlelight-1008.jpg

Characters have been greeting people right behind me all day. I've got to get a picture with Minnie, especially since she's so dressed up.
PreparingCandlelight-1009.jpg

This has been the same parade for a long long time. Just because I'm curious, I checked the wiki. A Christmas Fantasy Parade debuted in 1995. The floated were re-ordered in 2008. I'm ready for an update, and from the talk of many of the people around me, they are too. That soundtrack is so repetitive. Too repetitive.
PreparingCandlelight-1011.jpg

There are still some elements that are fun, like the tin soldier trumpeters.
PreparingCandlelight-1012.jpg

Hi Mickey. Nice outfit. I've seen a lot of people today with homemade shirts and hats to match up with Mickey and Minnie. The photos they've taken have been adorable.
PreparingCandlelight-1013.jpg

Hello Santa!
PreparingCandlelight-1014.jpg

Last year it was elves who were holding the rope at the end of the parade. This time it looks like cast members.
PreparingCandlelight-1015.jpg

More fun character interactions at the park. Cruella was chasing Pluto for a little while. Then Pluto turned around and chased her while she screamed about him having fleas.
PreparingCandlelight-1016.jpg

Look who it is! Ruston stopped by briefly before going backstage. The choir is meeting at 1:30pm so he's got places to be.
PreparingCandlelight-1010.jpg

At 1:45pm the ropes started to go up. People are starting to fill in.
PreparingCandlelight-1017.jpg

At 2:10pm, pallets and more pallets of chairs started showing up.
PreparingCandlelight-1018.jpg

Now let me say, I was concerned this year that Candlelight might not even happen at all. A week out, the forecast said it was going to rain from Saturday morning through Sunday night. Solid rain. Even a couple days out when the hourly forecast because available, Saturday and Sunday showed rain every hour that mattered.
So on Saturday when the forecast changed to only 1 hour of rain, and then on Sunday morning it said no rain at all, I was very happy.
Well, it's hard to predict the weather. It started as a light drizzle, but then turned into heavy drops.
PreparingCandlelight-1019.jpg

Look at that beautiful rainbow. If I wanted to leave the area, I bet there's a few places you could get a nice photo with the rainbow in the background. But not me. I haven't left the area at all.
PreparingCandlelight-1020.jpg

Rain would come and go, and just when you thought it was clear skies, another cloud would roll in and come down hard.

Good thing I'm prepared with a rain jacket and umbrella.
PreparingCandlelight-1022.jpg

Because of the rain, the 3:15pm parade was delayed for 25 minutes or so. It was an abbreviated parade with fewer performers than the regular one.
PreparingCandlelight-1023.jpg

Ah, there's those elves.
PreparingCandlelight-1024.jpg

Once there second parade had passed by, cast members could finally set up the handicapped viewing section. People in this section were required to get a wristband ahead of time, so if you're planning to take advantage of that next year, keep it in mind. The benches were seated first, and then wheelchairs and scooters were lined up. And it's important to note that parties were separated here. Only the person on the scooter could be up front. People with them had to stand further back in a separate taped off section.
PreparingCandlelight-1025.jpg

It's 4pm. Another 1:30 until Candlelight. This section is pretty full.
PreparingCandlelight-1026.jpg

I love the patriotic flag retreat ceremony. The music for the Star Spangled Banner plays on the loud speakers and the Voice of Disneyland invited everyone to sing along. Some things I think will always give me chills no matter how many times I hear it. You've seen how crowded it is. When everyone stops talking, men take off their hats, people place their hand over their heart, and hundreds of voices rise up and sing the National Anthem together, how can you not get chills.
PreparingCandlelight-1027.jpg

After the flag retreat ceremony, a small army of cast members start wiping down the reserved seats. From what I know, these are Disney executives, Club 33 members, and other special invited guests.
PreparingCandlelight-1028.jpg

And of course after they finished, the skies opened up again and now all the seats are wet again.
PreparingCandlelight-1029.jpg

I didn't have my helpers this year, but in continue the tradition of my Candlelight friend Armand, I came with snacks to give out. A bag full of Dove Peppermint Bark chocolates to whet everyone's appetite, and then a Costco sized bag of Zebra Corn to follow it up. And this year I remembered bowls. I made a lot of people very happy with the unexpected treat.
PreparingCandlelight-1030.jpg

Time for the tree lighting. Count it down. 3...2...1...
PreparingCandlelight-1031.jpg

Happy Holidays! If you notice, in the photo above and in this one too, the sky is filled with black dots. That's not a dirty camera, but hundreds and hundreds of crows that for some reason decided to descend on Main Street.
PreparingCandlelight-1032.jpg

It was a really odd sight to behold. There's at least 30 birds in this tree in front of me. I'm directly below a tree here too, but don't dare look up. The smartest of us waiting pulled out their umbrellas, despite there not being any rain.
PreparingCandlelight-1033.jpg

It's 5pm. Just 30 more minutes until Candlelight. It's pretty packed here now.
PreparingCandlelight-1034.jpg

The handicapped section has now been roped off all the way to the sidewalk by the shops to allow more standing room.
PreparingCandlelight-1035.jpg

It's crowded but everyone is in good spirits. I spent the time chatting with Camille and Kalin about different Disney adventures. Camille even sang in Candlelight when she was younger as part of a school choir. Cool! The good thing about being surround by all these people is that we all have something in common. We love Disney, otherwise we wouldn't be here! It makes for easy conversation.
PreparingCandlelight-1100.jpg

At 5:20pm, the reserved seats are starting to fill up. I notice the rows have different colored bows on the end, and people are seated in different sections, despite closer sections being empty. I wonder what differentiates who gets which ticket.
PreparingCandlelight-1036.jpg

At 5:23pm the amazing conductor, Nancy Sulahian takes the stage. Let's start Candlelight!
PreparingCandlelight-1101.jpg

It's time for Candlelight to start! Tonight's special guest narrator is Lin-Manuel Miranda, who plays Jack in Mary Poppins Returns and wrote the songs for Moana.
Candlelight-1014.jpg

I've been in pretty much this same spot since 9:30am. Not even a restroom break! Let's start the show!
Candlelight-1000.jpg

The lights around Main Street dimmed and the voices of the processional filled the air. They're coming!
Candlelight-1001.jpg

It's dimly lit and therefore hard to see individual people, but I'm always hopeful to see Ruston as he's coming in. And I did! And even better, I got a picture too!
Candlelight-1002.jpg

Now, I've been coming to see Ruston sing since 2008. A lot of those years it is just to "hear" Ruston sing. He's so tall, he's usually stuck in the back of a row, buried in the shadows somewhere. But this year, things are different. During rehearsals on Thursday night, he was placed in his usual "back of the row" location. Bummer.
But on Friday night, he got a text from the Cast Choir organizer. After 17 years of performing, a little Disney Magic happened for Ruston.

Ruston is the Star! I'm so excited for him!
And now you know why I was fine with camping out all day and crossing my fingers the rain wouldn't cancel the show. I had to make sure I could be there to see this special event.
Candlelight-1003.jpg

Trumpeters right above his head.
Candlelight-1004.jpg

Lin-Manuel Miranda's introduction.

Candlelight-1013.jpg

The child soloist did a great job with "Away in a Manger".
Candlelight-1005.jpg

The handbell choir.
Candlelight-1006.jpg

I took so many pictures of Ruston on the top of the tree.
Candlelight-1007.jpg

Candlelight-1008.jpg

I love the smile Ruston gives at the end. He really loves doing this.

The picture of the entire stage. From this spot, this is about the best view you can hope for.
Candlelight-1009.jpg

Candlelight-1010.jpg

One of my favorite parts of the show is when Conductor Nancy Sulahian and Drew Tablak lead the entire audience in the singing of Silent Night. And this year the people around me weren't shy singing, which makes it even better.
Candlelight-1012.jpg

Candlelight-1011.jpg

The Hallelujah chorus is great too, when everyone stands together as soon as the first few notes of the song are played.
Candlelight-1016.jpg

The Voice of Disneyland - Ladies and Gentlemen, we extend our sincere thanks to - Our Candlelight Choir. The featured soloists and guitarist. Our sign language interpreter. The candlelight orchestra, bell choir and fanfare trumpeters. Our conductor Nancy Sulahian. And tonight's special guest narrator Lin-Manuel Miranda.
Candlelight-1015.jpg

Lin-Manuel Miranda's Closing Remarks
Ladies and Gentlemen, it was my honor to share this beautiful candlelight ceremony with all of you.
The moon came out just for y'all tonight.
You know, there are many traditions and many ways to celebrate this wonderful time of year. However you and your loved ones choose to do so, I hope you find your lives renewed with meaning and with purpose.
Let's embrace every one of our tomorrow's through hope and love.
And through this holiday spirit may we continue to spread peace and goodwill throughout the world.
On a personal note, this is my family's first trip to Disneyland. It's a pretty good way to do it.
Muchísima Gracia. Thank you. And Merry Christmas!

It was a beautiful ceremony tonight. Made even better by seeing Ruston as the Star.
I headed over to the front of the stage just on the chance that I might see him as he walked off. He would tell me later that his section comes down from the stage and goes directly towards the Main Street Bank.
Candlelight-1017.jpg

Never-the-less, it's a beautiful sight with everyone leaving, the lights pointing everywhere, and all the saturated colors.
Candlelight-1018.jpg

As everyone is leaving, Nancy and the orchestra continue playing to an empty stage. This would be an amazing view for the show. I had to go up to the stage and say hi to Nancy and thank her.
Candlelight-1019.jpg

She just wrapped up the last song and I was at the base of the stage. Someone else (not me) called her name and she turned around.
(This next part blew my mind)
Nancy turned around, saw me and said "Hey! Where are my elves?"
(Wow, she remembers me from last year coming up here with the kids)
Me - Oh they wanted to come. They're at home sick unfortunately.
Nancy - Oh. Now don't tell me. It was Ian... and Alli.
(Oh my goodness. How does she remember that. Nancy must have an amazing memory)

The kids really loved her and all the time she spent with them last year.
CandlelightP2-133.jpg

Still amazed at how she remembered us, I asked if we could get a picture together.
Nancy - Oh you don't want a picture with me up here. Let me come down there to you.

Nancy, you're amazing. I think I overheard that you've been doing this since 1998. Thank you so much for everything you do to prepare and put this on every year.
Candlelight-1021.jpg

I went up to the stage to take one more look.
Candlelight-1022.jpg

Things are starting to clear out around here. There's another showing here in an hour.
Candlelight-1024.jpg

Reserved seats for Disney executives, special guests, and Club 33 members.
Candlelight-1023.jpg

As I'm leaving the area, I can see into the control booth. This would be a really interesting view too.
Candlelight-1025.jpg

The area along Main Street is quite crowded with people lined up for the second and final showing of Candlelight. From my timestamps, it's right around 6:40pm that they were letting people in.
Candlelight-1026.jpg

Getting the handicapped benches filled up first.
Candlelight-1027.jpg

Ruston!
Ruston made his way from backstage into the park and over to me. It's been tradition to get a photo together in front of the tree.
Candlelight-1028.jpg

Who is hungry? I've only had snacks all day.
Pasta is sounding great. Pizza Planet has some tasty chicken fusilli. Yum!
Candlelight-1029.jpg

For dessert, the two of us found some gingerbread cookies at the Penny Press Arcade on Main Street, which has an old fashioned candy counter inside.
Candlelight-1030.jpg

Passing by the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor right next door, Ruston said "Ice cream?"
I mean, it's never a bad time for ice cream. Because a double cone is only 75 cents more than a single, it was more economical to get a double scoop and split it. They're giant scoops anyway. And a peppermint candy cone, yes please.
Candlelight-1031.jpg

Walking out, the last showing of Candlelight is just now starting (7:45pm). It would be rough being so far in the back.
Candlelight-1032.jpg

The entrance to Disneyland is fairly quiet considering the madness on the other side of the railroad station. It's an interesting sight seeing trumpeters from this side.
Candlelight-1033.jpg

Ruston and I wandered through the Redwood Creek Challenge Trails in California Adventure. Jumping on the Jingle Bridge, signing Santa's Nice List (but not waiting in line), and watching other kids meet Santa.
Candlelight-1034.jpg

Finally the two of us wandered into The Grand Californian. Looks like the Gingerbread house is finished! The kids are going to love coming back here to find all the hidden Mickeys.
Candlelight-1035.jpg

What better place to enjoy our gingerbread mickeys.
Candlelight-1036.jpg

Candlelight-1037.jpg

The lobby of the Grand is a great place to hang out. We watched as Santa finished meeting the last few kids before finally going back to the North Pole for the night (8:15pm)
Candlelight-1038.jpg

We chatted while listening to the lobby piano player and then to the Holiday Handbell Carollers.

It's been an eventful day today. It's always great coming to see Ruston perform!
Candlelight-1039.jpg

Thank you so much for the detailed description-so fun to virtually experience this event. Do the performers typically only do one of the shows?

D5C5AA2A-C29C-47BB-A682-C257F98795BC.jpeg
I was right behind you! I was pleasantly surprised to find space available here around 4:40 - I’d planned to watch the second show, but when I got this spot, I saw this one instead. Those birds were crazy!!!

Are there different choirs for the shows? I thought it was the same group that performed twice.

Love your annual reports on the Candlelight Processional/Program. I had not heard much about this Disney tradition until reading your John Stamos Candlelight report (on another forum) all those years ago. Now I look forward to reading your coverage of this event every year. How fun that your pal Ruston was at the top of the "tree". I am a Lin Manuel fan so big bonus that he was this year's narrator. Great photos throughout. Candlelight is one of those events that I don't think I will ever spend the time to camp out and experience myself, so extra nice to experience it through your reports. Happy holidays Joe, to you and your family.

Thank you so much for the detailed description-so fun to virtually experience this event. Do the performers typically only do one of the shows?

As far as the Disneyland Cast Choir goes, yes, there's usually so much demand to sing in it, you only get to sing in one show. Those volunteer cast members are dedicated too, starting their practices after work once a week in September and not being allowed to miss.
As far as the other school and church choirs, I'm not certain if they perform more than once or not.

View attachment 459145
I was right behind you! I was pleasantly surprised to find space available here around 4:40 - I’d planned to watch the second show, but when I got this spot, I saw this one instead. Those birds were crazy!!!

Are there different choirs for the shows? I thought it was the same group that performed twice.

That's me! Ha!
Looks like things worked out pretty well for you with the timing of it all.

Thanks for that great recap! It was like being in the park, but without having to wait all day. ;)

Indeed! Lucky you!

Thanks for sharing Joe, amazing photos and storytelling as always.

Of course! Glad you enjoyed it.

Love your annual reports on the Candlelight Processional/Program. I had not heard much about this Disney tradition until reading your John Stamos Candlelight report (on another forum) all those years ago. Now I look forward to reading your coverage of this event every year. How fun that your pal Ruston was at the top of the "tree". I am a Lin Manuel fan so big bonus that he was this year's narrator. Great photos throughout. Candlelight is one of those events that I don't think I will ever spend the time to camp out and experience myself, so extra nice to experience it through your reports. Happy holidays Joe, to you and your family.

Thanks Congo Queen! It's hard to believe I've been doing this for 11 years now. Having Ruston on top of the tree was awesome.
Candlelight really is something special. If you do ever get the chance to see it, I'd highly recommend it. And you certainly wouldn't need to do like I do. There's still decent views starting an hour or two before the show, or even less if you want to watch the second showing.
Or just become a Club 33 member. :)

Candlelight had been on my bucket list for years. And thanks to your reports, I knew what to do to see it this year. I think I was in the same spot you were, just the night before! Thanks for the message responses on my worried frenzy on Saturday, lol. Oh, and I was able to get the special Candlelight pin too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter