2017 WDW Marathon - a 5150 idea??

Dis5150

DIS Veteran
I have thought about starting a training journal in the past but didn’t think I was interesting enough for people to want to read it. :P But since @DopeyBadger made a training plan for me at the beginning of July he wants to know things about my runs (after I barrage him with questions/complaints!) and I have a terrible memory. So I thought I would at least start writing stuff down in here. Plus (added bonus) I can post my drama here and everyone on the Running Thread doesn’t have to read it all!

navy10.jpg

About me, I am 48 and just started running in March 2015. My DD26 convinced me to run the W&D Half Marathon with her so I started training. I almost immediately got hurt (Achilles tendonitis). After about a month off, I got different shoes (not at a running store) and started training again. I ran my first race in October 2015, a local 10k. That went well for a first race, I guess. I didn’t finish last at least. I was 4th from last! Then it was off to the W&D. Well, as most of you know, that race turned out to be a half of a Half. And after sitting around for hours then running in the horrible humidity, I had a terrible race. I felt ripped off, after all my training, not to get to run a Half.

So when I got home I registered for a local race, the Casa Half Marathon in December 2015. In the weeks leading up to that race I managed to hurt myself again, this time Peroneal tendonitis. But I am stubborn (or stupid?) and bought an ankle brace off of Amazon and continued training, then ran my race in the brace. I was not going to miss out on another Half! I actually felt pretty good during the race, until about the last 1-2 miles, then it really started hurting. I managed to cross the finish line with a pretty decent time for my first half, 2:57:02 , then literally fell into DH arms and he had to half carry me back to the car and home. I would NOT recommend running on an injury! I was stupid and could have caused permanent damage. As soon as I was able to walk semi normally, I went to the closest running store (1 hour away) and got fitted for my current shoes, Brooks Transcend 3’s. They are awesome and have corrected 99% of my problems. They are pricey at $170 though so I will be looking for some on clearance at the end of the year. The 3’s were new this year, a total change from the 2’s so it may take a while for the prices to come down.

Somewhere in all of this DD26 managed to talk me into the Princess Half so when I was able, I continued with my training. We went to WDW for a week and had a great time! Princess had its moments (Expo!), but all in all we had a great time and a good race. We weren’t trying for time and finished around 3:13. I think it was after this race that DD26 decided we need to run the WDW marathon. More training!

I have run 1 5k, 2 10k’s, 2 halfs and a 10 Nautical mile race since Princess. I took 9 minutes off of my 10k time from my first race and 9 minutes off of my first half. I ran all those races using the Galloway interval plan, with :30 run / 1:00 walk. The marathon training plan is another beast altogether though so I went to @DopeyBadger for advice and he created a training plan for me that I am currently using. More about that in my next post.

Last edited:
I am on week 3 of this plan. The first two weeks went pretty well so I'm jumping in with my narrative here. :)

7/18 - 7/23 training plan All weekday runs are on the treadmill with Saturday long runs outside.

Tuesday 7/19 - 4 mi 3.8 mph at 15:47
This run went very well. My TM is wonky, with a slide speed adjuster so I am not always sure how accurate it is. So I chose to set the speed then switch to monitoring distance instead of time. I only took a couple of walk breaks, usually .10 when I felt fatigued. My legs felt pretty good during this run. And I rarely felt out of breath, walking a short distance (at the same speed on the TM) when I did. I usually finished each mile close to the target time.

Wed. 7/20 - Speed 1 mi @ 3.8 mph, 800m @ 5.1mphx4 w/RI of 400m at 3.8 + 1 mi @ 3.8 mph
This run sucked. I was tired, out of breath and my legs felt like lead. I finished it but felt like quitting the whole time.

Thur. 7/21 4 mi @ 3.8 mph
This run went well. I was easily able to complete each mile in the prescribed time (15:47) with few walk breaks

Sat. 7/23 6 mi blind run. Try to run at 14:18 pace without looking at my watch.
I was only able to complete 4 miles. When I stopped at my car to refill my water I got dizzy, light headed and almost passed out. Checking my reflection I was bright red in the face. I decided to walk slowly until I cooled off, then went home. It was 81 degrees with 95% humidity and a 78 dew point. Next week I will start an hour earlier.
After getting home and checking my garmin, my times were 12:11, 12:48, 13:47 and 14:30. Basically I suck at running by effort! No wonder I was so worn out! I ran a mile, then walked about a minute each mile.

Last edited:

I am on week 3 of this plan. The first two weeks went pretty well so I'm jumping in with my narrative here. :)

7/18 - 7/23 training plan All weekday runs are on the treadmill with Saturday long runs outside.

Tuesday 7/19 - 4 mi 3.8 mph at 15:47
This run went very well. My TM is wonky, with a slide speed adjuster so I am not always sure how accurate it is. So I chose to set the speed then switch to monitoring distance instead of time. I only took a couple of walk breaks, usually .10 when I felt fatigued. My legs felt pretty good during this run. And I rarely felt out of breath, walking a short distance (at the same speed on the TM) when I did. I usually finished each mile close to the target time.

Wed. 7/20 - Speed 1 mi @ 3.8 mph, 800m @ 5.1mphx4 w/RI of 400m at 3.8 + 1 mi @ 3.8 mph
This run sucked. I was tired, out of breath and my legs felt like lead. I finished it but felt like quitting the whole time.

Thur. 7/21 4 mi @ 3.8 mph
This run went well. I was easily able to complete each mile in the prescribed time (15:47) with few walk breaks

Sat. 7/23 6 mi blind run. Try to run at 14:18 pace without looking at my watch.
I was only able to complete 4 miles. When I stopped at my car to refill my water I got dizzy, light headed and almost passed out. Checking my reflection I was bright red in the face. I decided to walk slowly until I cooled off, then went home. It was 81 degrees with 95% humidity and a 78 dew point. Next week I will start an hour earlier.
After getting home and checking my garmin, my times were 12:11, 12:48, 13:47 and 14:30. Basically I suck at running by effort! No wonder I was so worn out! I ran a mile, then walked about a minute each mile.

All part of the learning process about listening to your body. You listened and your body said it didn't feel right. You did the right thing. A combined Temp + Dew of 159 is intense. I had the same this morning and my paces were off by about 30 seconds per mile (with the last few miles in the 60-90 sec range). So if you had the same effect to the heat as I did (which isn't necessarily true that you would as some are better acclimated to temps than others), then your paces for the equal effort would have been around a 14:54 min/mile. Use this blind pacing as a learning experience in trying to continue memorizing what each type of run's effort feels like. As the plan progresses from now until January, you will likely get better at understanding what it feels like. Keep up the good work.

All part of the learning process about listening to your body. You listened and your body said it didn't feel right. You did the right thing. A combined Temp + Dew of 159 is intense. I had the same this morning and my paces were off by about 30 seconds per mile (with the last few miles in the 60-90 sec range). So if you had the same effect to the heat as I did (which isn't necessarily true that you would as some are better acclimated to temps than others), then your paces for the equal effort would have been around a 14:54 min/mile. Use this blind pacing as a learning experience in trying to continue memorizing what each type of run's effort feels like. As the plan progresses from now until January, you will likely get better at understanding what it feels like. Keep up the good work.

I think I was most surprised by running a 12:11 mile straight, without taking a single walk break. I felt like I was going too fast and I kept telling myself to slow down but obviously I didn't listen to myself!

I think I was most surprised by running a 12:11 mile straight, without taking a single walk break. I felt like I was going too fast and I kept telling myself to slow down but obviously I didn't listen to myself!

That's a great sign and definitely something we can build on.

My puppy, my sweet baby Hunter, died in his sleep last night. I am devastated and heartbroken. :(

My puppy, my sweet baby Hunter, died in his sleep last night. I am devastated and heartbroken. :(
Oh my I'm so sorry. Did the vets ever figure out what he got into?

I run with gatorade and drink constantly seems to help with feeling woozy so far when it's hot, I have found water alone doesn't work for me. Not sure if you are using just water or have a sports type drink while running, or maybe before running make sure to have something with sugar to avoid getting dizzy too.

Condolences. My heart goes out to you.

Oh my I'm so sorry. Did the vets ever figure out what he got into?

I'm so sorry these about your pup. :hug: keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

Thanks guys. The vet thinks it was a disease dogs get from ticks that he had when we got him. It lies dormant and can flare up during high stress. We brought him home Friday afternoon, thinking he was on the road to recovery. I spent yesterday sitting on the floor with him, just giving him love and attention. This morning I woke up to take him out and found him passed away in his bed. One of the worst moments of my life, a memory I can never get rid of. He was a little love bug, my sweet beagle. I wish I could post a picture of him but I can't remember how. :(

Also wanted to say congrats on starting your training log. I'm like you and have thought about starting one but pretty sure I wouldn't have enough to say. Good luck with it. I'll be following along.

Following along with your journal. I'm so sorry about the loss of your puppy. :(

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping it gets a little easier every day.

Today is a scheduled rest day and my legs are very happy about that. I don't have any injuries but my upper thighs are very sore today. I'm sure it is from not being used to running without the walk breaks. I'm feeling so down about running and just life in general right now. Running isn't fun anymore. I need to really think about my priorities about why I am doing this and try to figure out what is best for me.

Running isn't fun anymore. I need to really think about my priorities about why I am doing this and try to figure out what is best for me.
I don't have any advice, but I just want to let you know that I know how you feel. This is something that I have been struggling with as well, and it's crappy.

With me, I was way too fixated on my pace, getting faster, wondering why I was (in my mind) not improving, etc. I think what it has come down to for me is that running is a way for me to get exercise, and I love doing Disney races...but I don't love feeling pressure to hit certain paces in workouts, or running races for PRs anymore. Coming to that realization, and telling myself that it is okay to feel that way, has made me enjoy running a LOT more.

I really hope things get better for you. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter