******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't say Free dining determines whether we go or not but it definitely has an effect on what kind of trip we take.

Us too. Free dining really elevates our trip. It's nice to have the freedom but I won't pay for the dining plan. If we can't get FD then I guess we just go cheap.

We went those dates in 2016 and got it! The 28th was the last day for the promotion, so we had to check in on that day. Depending on the days of the week things fall on you may have to change it up by a day or two, but it was an absolute dream to be back at Disney for Christmas again!

Yes and no. For the past couple years, the last date offered before the Thanksgiving week black out was close enough that if you checked in on that date, you would have it through Thanksgiving week. Last year, the last date was Nov 21 which was Monday of Thanksgiving week, so I'm sure there were many people there on Thanksgiving enjoying free dining.

These 2 posts differ for the November dates offered in 2016. Does anyone know if the last day was the 21st (the Monday of Thanksgiving week) or the 28th (the Monday after Thanksgiving)?

EDITED TO ADD: I think they're both correct. I found a post that said fd was offered from the end of August- beginning of Dec in 2016, with blackout dates of 11-22 to 25, and starting again on 11-29. So I suppose that means you could have checked in on 11/21 or 11/28 and been fine.

Last edited:
These 2 posts differ for the November dates offered in 2016. Does anyone know if the last day was the 21st (the Monday of Thanksgiving week) or the 28th (the Monday after Thanksgiving)?

EDITED TO ADD: I think they're both correct. I found a post that said fd was offered from the end of August- beginning of Dec in 2016, with blackout dates of 11-22 to 25, and starting again on 11-29. So I suppose that means you could have checked in on 11/21 or 11/28 and been fine.

Your edit is correct. I was responding to the person asking about Thanksgiving week, so my post was about the last date offered BEFORE Thanksgiving. Free dining did pick back up on Nov 26, which was the Sat just after Thanksgiving and ended on the 28th.

For those counting on a standard mod room with FD, you may wish to have an acceptable back-up plan in case standard rooms are few & far between. Last yr (and I think at least the yr before that), there weren't many standard rooms available at the mods & a number of people were disappointed. The rooms on offer were the more $ water view & up that WDW sometimes has trouble moving because of the premium. Of course, who knows what will be on offer this year and also no guarantee there will even be a fall FD. But always good to have another strategy in your back pocket in case you go online early on the day of to find what you planned on grabbing just isn't there. Hard to scramble to find something else when you aren't prepared to change plans and rooms are being booked quickly.

I'll be watching with you all...hoping for Sept 9 - 12 at Pop with an upgrade to the regular dining plan before our 7 nights at Cabana Bay. If free dining isn't offered then it will just be our traditional 1 night at Pop after our Universal stay.

The last time we did free dining was 2014 and I like the extra snack instead of a dessert on our QS meal...more to enjoy at Food and Wine for us.

Hi everyone!

We have been fortunate enough to have FD since 2014, and hoping to get it once again this Fall!

We have been in September, November and December and myself and my daughter are headed back in 2 weeks for her Cheer competition; so time frame for us is not a huge deal, it is all beautiful and magical! The Free Dining Watch thread last year was amazing, so I am back for the hints, tips and tricks. Thank you!:smickey:

- Vanessa

For those counting on a standard mod room with FD, you may wish to have an acceptable back-up plan in case standard rooms are few & far between. Last yr (and I think at least the yr before that), there weren't many standard rooms available at the mods & a number of people were disappointed. The rooms on offer were the more $ water view & up that WDW sometimes has trouble moving because of the premium. Of course, who knows what will be on offer this year and also no guarantee there will even be a fall FD. But always good to have another strategy in your back pocket in case you go online early on the day of to find what you planned on grabbing just isn't there. Hard to scramble to find something else when you aren't prepared to change plans and rooms are being booked quickly.

It will be interesting to see what (if any) rooms become available for FD at the mods this year with so many rooms out of inventory due to construction at CSR and CBR. I'm thinking the Pirate rooms at CBR might be available.

Joining. We are booked 1-10 at Asmu. This is our third September trip. We were able to score FD in 2012 and 2015, so I am hoping for a third time.
We are Canadian as well and the dollar stings for sure... so a little FDing would help ease the pain lol.
We will most likely still buy the dining plan if it isnt offered tho. We are travelling with a large group of 11... and 6 of them are my family, so the DDP works really well for us.

We are booked at Pop 8/19-8/28 with the summer quick service meal deal, but am hoping for free dining. We booked with our Disney Visa so if they do what they did last year with the Visa getting earlier dates than we should be ok.
Do you know what the cost would be to upgrade, during the summer half off dining special? I know the usual upgrade is $ 20.00 per person but I imagine it would be a different cost since you are adding more.

Does anyone know if you have the Disney Visa and are booking more than one room for yourself and family, do all the rooms qualify for the earlier dates for the free dining (as long as its on your Visa)? One of my family members doesn't have a card.

Do you know what the cost would be to upgrade, during the summer half off dining special? I know the usual upgrade is $ 20.00 per person but I imagine it would be a different cost since you are adding more.

If you're talking about the one free QS meal deal, the cost to upgrade for adults is $40/night. Sorry, I don't have a kid's cost.

It will be interesting to see what (if any) rooms become available for FD at the mods this year with so many rooms out of inventory due to construction at CSR and CBR. I'm thinking the Pirate rooms at CBR might be available.
I was thinking the same. I also have a consideration that I never had the other four times I did this promo... with the construction, I need to decide where it doesn't become worth it to me. I would definitely hit a point where construction impact would be enough for me to avoid certain resorts (no pool for example) but we won't know what the impact is/looks like for awhile. This is all just speculation of course but I did say to DH , we'll have to see where it all stands when/if free dining comes out.

I was thinking the same. I also have a consideration that I never had the other four times I did this promo... with the construction, I need to decide where it doesn't become worth it to me. I would definitely hit a point where construction impact would be enough for me to avoid certain resorts (no pool for example) but we won't know what the impact is/looks like for awhile. This is all just speculation of course but I did say to DH , we'll have to see where it all stands when/if free dining comes out.

It's tricky this year, that's for sure. I bet POR will be shut out completely. It seems as though lots of people are switching out CBR and CSR for POR. I don't blame them. Pop might be hard to get as well, since they will be in the middle of a room refurbishment.

Joining the FREE DDP support group! DH & I are taking the kids & the grandkids the week before thanksgiving. 8 people in 2 moderate rooms. Free dining is a huge part of my plan. I've gotten it every year since 2006 but am more worried this year. I am considering using a TA.

I'm using Dreams Unlimited. I'm currently booked at ASM for mid September, but told my agent I'd switch to any of the other value resorts if free dining became available.

Hello All. My family of 7 went through the free dining wait in 2015 (November 7th - 15th). Last year, my hubby and I went November 4th - 8th to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary and booked through DVC (even though the free dining wouldn't have been available when we went last year anyway). Just thought I would chime in on the dates we've gone in November. Regardless, I thought I saw someone comment on this question, but now I can'f find it. So, if this has been answered somewhere disregard. I read on a reputable website, that a free dining release could potentially become available around March 2017. Last years free dining dates didn't start until August 23rd , and the release date of free dining last year was April 27th. If the bounceback dates showing free dining starting May 30th - June 6th are true and the general public free dining dates are similar and they waited until April to release the free dining discount, than that would really limit the people who are going in May/early June. They would not have a lot of turn around time to say get a trip booked if they didn't already have one, get dining booked, etc. (hope this makes sense). So, maybe start looking in the next few weeks for a free dining discount drop! Who knows. If I remember anything from getting it in 2015, it was a waiting game, and it was a rush when it became available, but it was so worth it!!!! :-) Good luck all. ::MinnieMo::MickeyMo:tink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter