2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! We checked in yesterday at GP RCP. Our flight arrived at 1:45pm and we went straight to ME and we made it to GF about 2:50pm. We were the 2nd stop, which surprised me as we are always the 3rd. Our luggage did not arrive until almost 8pm.

I decided not to tell DH about the refurb after all. Wanted to see his reaction. He (or I should say "we") didn't hate it as much as I thought we would. The colors aren't as bold in person. The rooms as well, I was expecting a bright red but it's not. It is more like a brick color. However, the wood pieces don't seem to match in color (some dark and some light). The rug is nice and the deluxe room does have a pullout couch. Today has been a very nice day. Epcot seemed empty. Will take pictures and try to post when we return. We'll be here until 8/26 and then we'll be at CR Atrium CL for the 1st time. Until then...

I do have a GF question... how late are the pools open? Maybe I'm dreaming, but I seem to remember them being open 24/7?? With the earlier park closings during our trip we're hoping for some late night pool time. :goodvibes

They told us the pools close at 11pm but it seems like it's not being enforced. We were there until late yesterday. Plan on going late tonight again. I'll see what happens and keep you posted.

Hi! We checked in yesterday at GP RCP. Our flight arrived at 1:45pm and we went straight to ME and we made it to GF about 2:50pm. We were the 2nd stop, which surprised me as we are always the 3rd. Our luggage did not arrive until almost 8pm.

I decided not to tell DH about the refurb after all. Wanted to see his reaction. He (or I should say "we") didn't hate it as much as I thought we would. The colors aren't as bold in person. The rooms as well, I was expecting a bright red but it's not. It is more like a brick color. However, the wood pieces don't seem to match in color (some dark and some light). The rug is nice and the deluxe room does have a pullout couch. Today has been a very nice day. Epcot seemed empty. Will take pictures and try to post when we return. We'll be here until 8/26 and then we'll be at CR Atrium CL for the 1st time. Until then...

They told us the pools close at 11pm but it seems like it's not being enforced. We were there until late yesterday. Plan on going late tonight again. I'll see what happens and keep you posted.

BC1836 calling davale4: We'll be at desserts and cordials tonight at about 8:15. We'll be at the far table near the front of the GF. It's the only table in that area (since someone forgot to order enough tables; most went to Sugar Loaf). :rolleyes1

We'll be with an author of Disney Legend Fess Parker, who starred as Davy Crockett.

All the best. :thumbsup2

Hi everyone. Just booked RPC TPV for our trip next Summer. Very excited!! As my OCD planning has kicked in early (is it ever too early?!) I have a question I can't figure out! Where is the elevator in the main building to access RPC? I've seen the one in the hall by Gaspys but wasn't sure which one it is inside. Also does it stop on the second floor for the monorail or is it RPC access only? Just trying to get the logistics down! Thanks!

Hi everyone. Just booked RPC TPV for our trip next Summer. Very excited!! As my OCD planning has kicked in early (is it ever too early?!) I have a question I can't figure out! Where is the elevator in the main building to access RPC? I've seen the one in the hall by Gaspys but wasn't sure which one it is inside. Also does it stop on the second floor for the monorail or is it RPC access only? Just trying to get the logistics down! Thanks!

A very timely question since we just exited that elevator five minutes ago.

It is located on the left hand side of the first floor at about the mid point of the lobby. Anyone can access it to the second floor (monorail level) but only RPC guests have access to floors #3, 4 and 5.

There is another elevator located between Gaspy's and the GF Cafe for RPC guests only.

They must save the "special" rooms for us! ;)

I think you're right!;) We once had three rooms in BPK during the same trip with a tree for view. First, we had noisy neighbors and asked to move after two nights without sleep; DD said, "well, at least we might get a better view!" HAHA! Second room, bath had mold; still expecting to get a room without tree, no love. Third room was good, except for yet another tree.:laughing:

I also do CL and non CL. It is hard to describe. Sometimes you need it for location, sometimes weather is bad(jan/Feb) and you know you won't be at pool, sometimes it's as blue says"all about the food".

:thumbsup2

At least Mumm Napa is still being served! :lmao:

:laughing: Have a Grand stay.

Hi All ~

We are getting SO excited for our first GF stay in 62 days!!

Question - is it really necessary to do online check-in at 60 days? What are the benefits of 'checking in' so early?

TIA!
Debbie

Welcome! YAY for your first stay, you're gonna love it.

As mickeynut posted, we don't usually do OCI, but others love it. The only real advantages are being able to add your cc in advance, and, if you don't need to chat with the CM about anything, being able to grab your packet and go. If, like us, you want to discuss room assignment or resort amenities, you're probably better off doing regular check in.

I've done that before.....I will think I hit the quote marks, but find out after I've posted that I missed one :rolleyes1.

:teeth:

We are booked for June at the VGF (renting points) and couldn't be more excited!!!!

Wondering about breakfast. Coffee especially :) How far is it from the VGF to Gasparilla Grill? Is the Poly a close enough walk for coffee? Any idea when the Beach Pool cafe opens in the morning in June?

Loving this thread!

:banana: Very exciting!

Gasparilla's is probably a 5 minute walk from VGF. It is quite a bit further to the Poly, but many people like that walk, especially in the early morning.

I am sorry if this is already been asked but they have a character dining at the grand Fradian I forgot what they call that thank you

No worries, ask anything you need.:flower3: The character meals are at 1900 Park Fare.

Not the cupcakes!! :sad2:
A small thing in the big picture, but in my top five of things I looked forward to at the lounge. Does anyone know if a similar cupcake is offered for sale at any of the bakeries?
Thanks for the update - it is definitely better to know before arrival. An adult guest having a tantrum in the lounge upon discovery of the missing cupcakes would not be a pretty sight. I hope that they will make a reappearance, like the turndown cards.

I am looking forward to my upcoming trip despite the cupcake news. I am starting with 2 nights at the BCV to enjoy walking to the Epcot side of things, then 7 nights GF SL followed by 2 nights RPC in a king deluxe room. I'd originally booked 9 nights in SL on a bounceback, but I moved my dates so I could meet up with some friends who are doing the ToT race, and wound up outside the bounceback for the last two nights. I've been hoping for an AP discount, but the only discount available at any of the hotels for those nights was for RPC which came in about $90.00 less per night than SL at rack, so I decided to deal with the hassle of a room change to experience RPC at a savings.

I appreciate all the up to date pictures and accounts. Trisha's picture of the non-view from her King Deluxe room lead me to change my room request from theme park to resort view. Noise is an issue for me, so I appreciated the heads-up very much!

Of course I will take lots of pictures. With the paucity of discounts, increased costs and vanishing amenities, my Disney trips are going to be fewer and farther between, so I plan on making the most of this trip.

Thanks again to everyone for all the great info and reports. It's always a Grand day around here!

Amen, sister.:( We are not going nearly as often as in the past, for just those reasons. Everybody keeps telling me we need to check out DL.:)

LOL about the tantrum.

Enjoy your planning, and have a Grand vacation, sounds like a wonderful trip.

You mean, they didn't refurbish the suites, their most expensive offerings, when they closed the main building? That's just ... Weird. And wrong. And disappointing.

We, personally, could never afford to stay in one, but if we could and did, I would NOT be happy to discover this. Yikes!

I agree, and can only imagine they plan to do a refurb at a later date. As the suites have more intricate and unique furnishings, perhaps they took longer to order and arrive. Just a guess.

Good afternoon everyone! 41 days until we're checking in at SL! In fact, we're already playing the "guess what we'll be doing 41 days from right now.... eating at Gaspies/riding Splash Mountain/enjoying an adult beverage in World Showcase/etc" game. :lovestruc

I do have a GF question... how late are the pools open? Maybe I'm dreaming, but I seem to remember them being open 24/7?? With the earlier park closings during our trip we're hoping for some late night pool time. :goodvibes

It used to be 24 hours a day, and I think you can still swim pretty much any time you like as long as you are quiet.:)

YAY, glad you arrived safely, have a magical vacation.pixiedust:

Thanks for the pool info!

The elevator for the upper 3 floors is the gold one, on the left side of the lobby as you enter. Yes, it does stop at the second floor for those shops, restaurants and the monorail.:flower3: You can also take the stairs or the "bird cage" elevator.

The pulsating sounds of the Electrical Water Pageant have begun! :goodvibes

All the best from the fifth floor of the Grand Floridian! :thumbsup2

A very timely question since we just exited that elevator five minutes ago.

It is located on the left hand side of the first floor at about the mid point of the lobby. Anyone can access it to the second floor (monorail level) but only RPC guests have access to floors #3, 4 and 5.

There is another elevator located between Gaspy's and the GF Cafe for RPC guests only.

Thank you!!:worship:

We're down to 20 days before our first stay at the Grand! Can't wait! We're staying Standard Room, Main Building. I called IPO with my room requests (my TA was supposed to do it for me, but didn't.) I asked for 4th floor, closest to Lounge with Pool View. (We are heavy sleepers, so noise won't be an issue. Our last 4 trips we stayed at The Polynesian, Hawaii building, and always asked, an got, the room closest to the lounge and had no problems.) Does anyone know what room numbers our requests would be? I'm trying to figure out where the rooms are when looking at the map and having a hard time.

The cupcakes were out in the afternoons at least!!! Take some and put in room for later?

Also, I had booked Deluxe king which is either the 6 octagon rooms or the 2nd floor row of MKV side. So mkv views (non deluxe) are only floors 3 -5 I don't think would be as noisy. Just my opinion but I would book those floors. The rooms are the same size its just floor 2 are all kings and have jetted tubs and booked as deluxe kings. Hope that clarification helps someone:)

So row 2 is deluxe king the TPV version and the octogons are the extra space version. My complaint was that there was not any view or extra space.

:yay:for cupcakes! Any time of day can be cupcake time. :goodvibes

I am booked in Deluxe king, so requested a resort view. I'd love to stay in one of the octagon rooms and have a chance to take photos.

Thanks!

BC1836 calling davale4: We'll be at desserts and cordials tonight at about 8:15. We'll be at the far table near the front of the GF. It's the only table in that area (since someone forgot to order enough tables; most went to Sugar Loaf). :rolleyes1

We'll be with an author of Disney Legend Fess Parker, who starred as Davy Crockett.

Just saw this now! We were at Epcot today most of the day. We headed to the pool and came back too late. I also got the call from V&A today and I got my dates mixed up. We will be there on 8/24 instead of 8/23. I got it confused with Narcoosees reservation.

I see that you sat where we always sat previous years. The first thing I noticed was the lack of tables on that side. I was wondering what was the reason behind that.

The pulsating sounds of the Electrical Water Pageant have begun! :goodvibes All the best from the fifth floor of the Grand Floridian! :thumbsup2

I love that sound ... It's one of my favorite parts of the evening at the Grand : ) Have a fabulous time and enjoy every magical moment

The pulsating sounds of the Electrical Water Pageant have begun! :goodvibes

All the best from the fifth floor of the Grand Floridian! :thumbsup2

:cloud9:

We're down to 20 days before our first stay at the Grand! Can't wait! We're staying Standard Room, Main Building. I called IPO with my room requests (my TA was supposed to do it for me, but didn't.) I asked for 4th floor, closest to Lounge with Pool View. (We are heavy sleepers, so noise won't be an issue. Our last 4 trips we stayed at The Polynesian, Hawaii building, and always asked, an got, the room closest to the lounge and had no problems.) Does anyone know what room numbers our requests would be? I'm trying to figure out where the rooms are when looking at the map and having a hard time.

If you get a room overlooking the courtyard pool, the first std. room down that hall should be 4418. If you get one overlooking the Beach Pool, that would be 4423. There are pools on both sides, and there are a few std. rooms overlooking the Beach Pool - and they are pretty close to the lounge, probably just as close as those down the hallway toward the pool elevator.

Really, though, with a std. room you won't be far from the lounge no matter what room you get; we had the furthest room, next to the pool elevator, and it still wasn't very far from the lounge. I think I have a photo of that hallway, taken from next to room 4413, on the first page. ETA: here is the link, first photo - you can see the childrens' tables at the end.

:yay:for cupcakes! Any time of day can be cupcake time. :goodvibes

I am booked in Deluxe king, so requested a resort view. I'd love to stay in one of the octagon rooms and have a chance to take photos.

Thanks!

Off topic, but have you ever been to Sprinkles? I fell in love with them when we were in Cali a few years ago, and now we have one in Atlanta~ :love:

I'm really enjoying the onsite reports...it's making me more excited earlier about going this fall! :cool1: :woohoo:

You mean, they didn't refurbish the suites, their most expensive offerings, when they closed the main building? That's just ... Weird. And wrong. And disappointing.

We, personally, could never afford to stay in one, but if we could and did, I would NOT be happy to discover this. Yikes!

I agree, and can only imagine they plan to do a refurb at a later date. As the suites have more intricate and unique furnishings, perhaps they took longer to order and arrive. Just a guess.

Or it lends credence to the rumor Jim Hill floated recently that they're planning to turn part of the Grand main building into concierge DVC villas.

Off topic, but have you ever been to Sprinkles? I fell in love with them when we were in Cali a few years ago, and now we have one in Atlanta~ :love::

Best cupcakes I've ever had, bar none, are Sweet by Holly, in Orlando. No affiliation. Just saw a recommend on the boards here years ago and they've become a part of our Disney routine. They deliver to the resorts. Not cheap, but worth every single penny.

Just saw this now! We were at Epcot today most of the day. We headed to the pool and came back too late. I also got the call from V&A today and I got my dates mixed up. We will be there on 8/24 instead of 8/23. I got it confused with Narcoosees reservation.

I see that you sat where we always sat previous years. The first thing I noticed was the lack of tables on that side. I was wondering what was the reason behind that.

Alas, on 8/24 we will be on our drive home. :sad2:

Hopefully, we will cross paths over the next five days.

Or it lends credence to the rumor Jim Hill floated recently that they're planning to turn part of the Grand main building into concierge DVC villas.

Best cupcakes I've ever had, bar none, are Sweet by Holly, in Orlando. No affiliation. Just saw a recommend on the boards here years ago and they've become a part of our Disney routine. They deliver to the resorts. Not cheap, but worth every single penny.

I've read about that bakery, Coopersmom, and thought about making a visit to it (had not thought of having them delivered tho). I will plan a visit to downtown Atlanta just to go to Sprinkles! Must check out Holly's place tho! :thumbsup2
Now back to your regularly scheduled program.....;)

I've read about that bakery, Coopersmom, and thought about making a visit to it (had not thought of having them delivered tho). I will plan a visit to downtown Atlanta just to go to Sprinkles! Must check out Holly's place tho! :thumbsup2
Now back to your regularly scheduled program.....;)

Sprinkles is to Sweet as McDonald's is to Victoria and Albert's. Seriously.

We reached our 60 day mark Saturday and I'm back in the Fastpass + nightmare. DH really HATES this new system as he feels like it restricts what we can do. I keep telling him we can change it at ANY time up until the first Fastpass time and more importantly...the old system is GONE! I've decided to get them for only the days I know we are in THAT park. That leaves half the days for him to be "spontaneous" and I'll make FP on the way there! ;)

Our food exploration this trip is Breakfast, particularly French Toast and snacks! We have so far: CRT, GF Café, The Wave, Kona, and Captain's Grill (YC) for breakfast. We have already visited Trail's End and Whispering Canyon. If you have other suggestions, I'd love to add more.

Our current food strategy is Breakfast, snacking for lunch, then a nice late dinner. I saw some awesome suggestions for snacks in here as well that have been added to the list. :love: We were thinking of the cream puff from BoG but I'm not sure you can still walk up during lunch? DH read about the Cakecup at Cheshire Cat and he's got that on his list. Hopefully it's still there! Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also does anyone have any experience with the Memory Maker? We have 4 in our party (different resorts) for 4 days then just the 2 of us for the other 6. Is it possible to add them onto the memory maker? I'm a bit confused with it in MDE as it seems to say it "reassigns (I took that to mean gives away my rights like it does tickets) to other people. I may have to sign up for the Memory Maker course when I check in!

Thanks for any help! Just when I think I can relax and let time pass, something else pops up!

Liz

Morning fellow GF fans....:surfweb:

I know that k&a&c'smom already answered your question...just wanted to add my two cents..lol...rooms 4416 & 17 are also pretty close to the lounge ..instead of a specific room request..with 20 days ..:woohoo: to go you still have time to add requests on your ressie ...I would modify the requests to 4th floor, close to lounge, courtyard view...

QUOTE=BC1836;52099315]Greetings to All!

We have arrived for stay #27 at the Grand Floridian Resort. Although most rooms have had stylistic upgrades, the suites have not (we are in a two-bedroom suite on the fifth floor). Of course, it's good to see the framed Grand Floridian ca. 1890 on the walls and the Mickey lamps on the desk, but compared to the new looks of the refurbished rooms the suites need a "facelift," particularly the carpeting and the furniture. No major complaints from us, however. After all, we are here!

RPC food offerings seemed to have suffered from the upgrades, i.e., something must "pay" for the refurbishments. For example, no longer are fruit and cupcakes being offered at Twilight Refreshers. And while the cold items have always numbered a few more than Sugar Loaf, the hot items are similar.
Also...someone forgot to order enough enough tables for the RPC dining area!

All the best. :thumbsup2[/QUOTE]

Strange about the suites not being refurbished... :eek: And I too am disappointed to hear that there are less food items being offered at TR..hoping it was just a fluke...cause it is always about the food!! ;)

Or it lends credence to the rumor Jim Hill floated recently that they're planning to turn part of the Grand main building into concierge DVC villas..

:confused: :worried: :(

What do you mean, sometimes...I thought it was always about the food!!! :rotfl: (at least, that's our mantra!! :rotfl2:

:thumbsup2 Yes it is grannyminnie!!!!

Hi All ~

We are getting SO excited for our first GF stay in 62 days!!

Question - is it really necessary to do online check-in at 60 days? What are the benefits of 'checking in' so early?

TIA!
Debbie

Never did OLCI...Just wanted to say Congrats on your forst GF stay! You are in for a treat at this charming resort! :cloud9:

k&a&c'smom Seems like you like to keep track of room numbers too...In my case it might be considered a room number obsession..lol...Should I even admit that I have a list :blush:...lol...started it years ago..of rooms that I like and didn't..( like the ones with the special tree view:eek: ..lol... ) ..And I know that you will be adding to that picture collection very soon!!! :dance3:

Let me just say thanks again though...for the comprehensive info available here....complete with pictures..lots and lots of pictures! :goodvibes

MickeyNut Hope that you enjoyed your day yesterday!! :goodvibes The more things that I am reading about the refurbed Poly..the nicer it sounds!! :thumbsup2

~No new info from me today....except that we may be taking a quick trip next month...just to see all that is new and exciting...maybe a little F&W...a visit to DHS to see the Frozen happenings....:thumbsup2

Hope that everyone is having a terrific Tuesday!!! :cutie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter