2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So hubby and I are staying at an outer building garden view... It would cost another $900 to upgrade to SL CL. Is it worth it? I know most people eat breakfast at SL but is it enough food later in the day to make a meal? Also what about the alcohol? Just trying to see if we could justify it.

Sorry on my phone so I can't edit... We are also WL refugees so I don't even know if we can touch the ressie (we were upgraded so I don't know how they would figure it out).

For our upcoming trip in July 2015, we have decided to stay at the Grand Floridian. :cool1: Even though there are four of us (2 adults and 2 teenagers that are adult sized), we need our own sleeping space. I have been scouring the room photos and cannot find answers to the below two questions.

1. Can the sofa bed accommodate an adult sized person comfortably?

2. Is there enough floor space to accommodate a twin air mattress? We would prop it up during the day.

We used this arrangement when we stayed at CR in 2013 and it worked great, but I know the rooms are slightly larger there.

I know there are deluxe rooms, but the standard room is the only one that fits in the budget. Any help is greatly appreciated!

For our upcoming trip in July 2015, we have decided to stay at the Grand Floridian. :cool1: Even though there are four of us (2 adults and 2 teenagers that are adult sized), we need our own sleeping space. I have been scouring the room photos and cannot find answers to the below two questions.

My self and dd are 5'5" and ds 5"11 have all slept in it if fine. It is slightly narrower than a twin bed. It has a nice mattress. It is like a sideways Murphy bed.. You just pull from the back down and the bed is already made. Extra pillow and blankets in closet.
2. Is there enough floor space to accommodate a twin air mattress? We would prop it up during the day.

We used this arrangement when we stayed at CR in 2013 and it worked great, but I know the rooms are slightly larger there.

I know there are deluxe rooms, but the standard room is the only one that fits in the budget. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would think so. In front of the slider doors at least. Now without benches perhaps at foot of beds as well.

We have stayed in std rooms with teens too. Dh one bed, me and dd in other and ds usually in sofa bed. We have been in cr, poly and gf all fine.

The gf set up is nice because dd and I can use sinks and mirrors while guys in bathroom/shower area.:thumbsup2

So hubby and I are staying at an outer building garden view... It would cost another $900 to upgrade to SL CL. Is it worth it? I know most people eat breakfast at SL but is it enough food later in the day to make a meal? Also what about the alcohol? Just trying to see if we could justify it.

Sorry on my phone so I can't edit... We are also WL refugees so I don't even know if we can touch the ressie (we were upgraded so I don't know how they would figure it out).

We stayed SL in 2012 and last year and loved it. As others have said, the "lounge" area is both small and noisy especially if you have a room right above it as we did in 2012.

We just stayed at WL club level in July and CM Service-wise, I think they were/are comparable. Food offerings hands down are WAY better at GF. I'd say the cobbler at WL is on par with GF. (I haven't wanted to say that but I went there!)

So if you want help planning things, enjoy an afternoon tea and some awesome desserts and a bit of pampering, I'd say go for it! If not, I'd say no. SL rooms are no different than regular rooms. (I'm sure if I'm mistaken with this someone will jump in and correct me! We didn't see any difference!)

Just understand that there is a LOT that could be done with that extra $900, some of which could be made into a "Magical" experience.

DH and I were just talking about if we would do CL again with how much the cost has gone up. I'm not sure we would unless it was for a special occasion. I think I'd rather do without and make more trips than have CL as it stands now.

Sorry if I've said both yes AND no! Hopefully it has been somewhat helpful!

Liz

Hi everyone. Hubby and I will be staying at VGF next month. I was just wondering if there is a closer place to fill the refillable mugs other than Gasparilla's? TIA.

I know that abk already answered this question for you ( Hey abk!! :wave2: ) ...:thumbsup2 Just wanted to say how nice to have an upcoming VGF stay!! :woohoo:

So excited....under the 30 day mark and Magic Bands came in the mail today!

Nothing like Mickey mail!!! :yay:

Quick question. Has anyone had bug bites of some sort at the beach?
My sis and I watched the movie at the beach last night but had to leave
Cause she was getting eaten alive! It's 4 am and she just woke up cause the
Bites were annoying her. Doesn't sound like normal mosquito bites. I was sitting
Next to her and am untouched(which is weird cause I'm always bit)
Thanks in advance. :). Trying to see what, if anything, will help her.

These bites could be either sand fleas..or just plain old pesty gnats...which have itchy bites..Sandy Cove does carry cortisone cream..and I think an anti itch cream which as Trish said should help with the itching...:thumbsup2

Also Blue, the mango pineapple trifle was delish!!! Had to go back for more!!!

Can't wait to try it!! :cloud9:

We sometimes get bitten by "sand fleas" at the beach here in the Northeast. Have no idea if FL has them. They do make me itch intensely tho. Almost unbearably so. Agree with the topical gels And another thing that works surprisingly well is heat. Take a clean metal spoon & leave it in very hot water for a minute or so then apply it to the area till it cools. Or, if she got bit on her feet/ankles like I usually do, have her soak her feet in water as hot as she can stand without burning herself. You'll be surprised how well this works. HTH

Gretchen I suggested the same thing.. maybe sand fleas..:upsidedow those pesty little critters... Love your non medication itch solution.. :thumbsup2 ...will tuck that info away for future use!

Wow, you guys have been busy since I last checked in!! The company just left, and for maybe the first time ever, I had 3 different sets of guests within a week!! Enjoyed them all, but as I said, did have more kitchen duty for several days...

All about the food....waffle fries topped with yummy things sound delish! They're on the list for the next trip...
The Grand sandwich: I'm all about the onion fries and Bousin spread too. :love:
And mango pineapple trifle?! Can't wait for that one!!!!

I forget who posted the pic of the castle all dressed up for Christmas...but AHHHHHH! :love:

grannyminnie You sure have been busy!!! And we have been busy posting around here...lol...lots of good food talk!! ..Always miss you when you are not around...:hug: Hope that you get a break from company for a while...:)

While morning offerings in CL are a fine way to start the day and meant to substitute breakfast..there is bread ..bagels..oatmeal...fruit.. cereal..etc ..the other food offerings are not meant to be a replacement for the meal plan/or general meals at all....there are veggies.. chips..dips..afternoon scones..banana bread and tarts...hot and cold evening appetizers..and small desserts.. .sodas.. juices.. wine beer and and cordials.

But aside from the food..truly staying club level is about the extra level of service provided..the convenience of IPO to help make your reservations for dining and other events that you's like them to book...and having a concierge right there in the lounge to help with any additional planning that you may want... the convenience of being able to grab a beverage when ever..having a lounge for extra space and relaxation... Only you can decide if that would be worth spending an additional $900.....

I know that there is a lot of talk around here about staying CL...CL does have its perks as I have mentioned..but not perks that everyone feels are important :confused3.... just staying at the the GF is a wonderful experience...the rooms are all the same size and decor....there are so many nice things to do..like sitting in the lobby in the evening just to listen to the wonderful music...:cloud9: An evening in Minzers enjoying drinks and the atmosphere... There are many more non CL rooms than CL rooms....and lots of people who enjoy their GF stays with out the benefits of staying CL....

I have grown DS's over 6' tall who think that the day bed is very comfortable :thumbsup2... As the air mattress... I am sure that it would fit in the rooms as they are large...but may make walking around the room a bit challenging...:confused3

Mommyrosa Glad that you were able to find someting that you "needed" in Summer Lace...What a nice cross body bag! and a nice birthday gift for you! :goodvibes

jerseygal Oucch..your poor DS...:sad2:

MickeyNut Whatcha up to today?? Has the trip planning begun yet... You know its never too early to start....
:goodvibes

~ Pandora fans...I know that so many people have these bracelets... Was just reading that there will now be a Disney jewelry collection.. available in sterling and in 14k gold...and certain styles will only be available in the theme parks... ( another reason to plan a trip..;) )

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a super Sunday! :flower3: preppy GF gal who is sick of :laundy: ..lol...

Well I like to leave things on a sweet note, so here it is : Dessert sampling from RPC lounge : http://s804.photobucket.com/user/trishadono/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsc173391d.jpg.html And tea time sample, scone and mango pineapple trifle:) http://s804.photobucket.com/user/trishadono/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps43eea415.jpg.html

Love love all the pictures Trishadono ... So amazing each one : ) of course these of the tea time with a glass of red wine is my favorite and those of the grand itself. Making me long to be at the Grand even more seeing the pictures so thanks so much for posting them. You really had an amazing vacation!!

Tink love the pictures of the castle ... Gorgeous : )

Good afternoon Fantasyland Grand Friends : ) I hope everyone had a wonderful summer weekend ... Yikes the summer went by so fast, and I'm sure many of your kiddos are about to start school or already have. So looking forward to the fall now with the leaves changing and of course our WDW vacation in November : ) I hope everyone's vacation plans are going well and those at WDW now are having a magically time!

*** Not being able to multi quote is really testing my memory of who post what or what pictures? Probably a good thing : )

My self and dd are 5'5" and ds 5"11 have all slept in it if fine. It is slightly narrower than a twin bed. It has a nice mattress. It is like a sideways Murphy bed.. You just pull from the back down and the bed is already made. Extra pillow and blankets in closet.

I would think so. In front of the slider doors at least. Now without benches perhaps at foot of beds as well.

We have stayed in std rooms with teens too. Dh one bed, me and dd in other and ds usually in sofa bed. We have been in cr, poly and gf all fine.

The gf set up is nice because dd and I can use sinks and mirrors while guys in bathroom/shower area.:thumbsup2

This is perfect! Thank you and also thank you to BlueSkies for your very helpful responses. This is just the confirmation that I needed so I will be booking our first stay at GF!! :woohoo:

Quick question. Has anyone had bug bites of some sort at the beach? My sis and I watched the movie at the beach last night but had to leave Cause she was getting eaten alive! It's 4 am and she just woke up cause the Bites were annoying her. Doesn't sound like normal mosquito bites. I was sitting Next to her and am untouched(which is weird cause I'm always bit) Thanks in advance. :). Trying to see what, if anything, will help her.

Ouch!!! Sounds like sand fleas to me ; ( not good those are irritating for sure ... Try a Neosporin cream with pain relief for spot treatment it may really help. I tend to always get bites by any Mosquitos or Sand Fleas where ever I go if their there they'll find me. I keep Neosporin pain relief in my cosmetic case for travel, but most likely sandy cove has something similar or a Benadryl product ect. Sure hope your sister and yourself are feeling better now but yeah those bites are itchy and then hurt .. Take care & have fun : )

Just checked in to Sugar Loaf! We got an awesome room - the deluxe room with sitting area. It is sooooo beautiful! I don't know how to post a picture from my phone....so I will post pictures when I get home.

I agree, many of the recent changes have not been to my liking, have I ever mentioned?:rotfl2:

I think both of us have expressed our disappointment on a lot of the recent changes Disney has made :rotfl::rotfl:.

Room 4201 deluxe king RPC.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing :).

Hi...staying at the GF for the first time. Only going to be there for 2 nights.

Congrats on booking your first GF stay. You are going to love the GF :goodvibes.

~ Just wondering ...did anyone else try to find some hidden Mickeys in the new wall paper pic that Trisha posted... ??? I bet if they are there MickeyNut will find them..she has some sort of hidden Mickey radar...lol...

Yes, there are hidden Mickeys :rotfl::rotfl:. Actually, if you look really close and focus, you will see that the whole wall paper is composed of Mickey heads :earboy2:.

Got a few minutes before we are on the go again!

Weather has been so so...t-storms/rain have been coming much earlier in the day so we haven't gotten much pool time but hoping we'll be able to tomorrow since we have the morning open :). We've enjoyed some really great dinners so far. Tried Sanaa for the first time on our first night...DH & I really enjoyed that (sadly both our girls weren't as impressed). Thursday night, we had another fabulous dinner at Narcoossees, last night, we enjoyed Tapan Edo and tonight we had another great dinner at Ohana (very sad to see the lobby the way it is though). Off to hit PM EMH at MK....

Thanks for checking in. It sounds like you're having a good time, even with the rain and t/storms ;).

:cool1::cool1:

The company just left, and for maybe the first time ever, I had 3 different sets of guests within a week!! :scared1: Enjoyed them all, but as I said, did have more kitchen duty for several days...

I forget who posted the pic of the castle all dressed up for Christmas...but AHHHHHH! :goodvibes

I hope you had a nice time with all of your company :flower3:.

I agree about the castle pic.....Disney at Christmas time is hard to beat :santa:.

It wouldn't be worth it to me. If it was $900 more for RPC, I'd do it in a heartbeat. With that said, I'm glad I was able to try SL, but I (personally) would save the $900 and stick with GV. But, like BlueSkies posted, you are really the only one who can decide whether or not it's worth the extra cost.

Your questions have already been answered, but I wanted to say congrats on booking your first GF stay. The GF is a beautiful and I'm sure you will have a great time :wizard:.

MickeyNut Whatcha up to today?? Has the trip planning begun yet... You know its never too early to start....
:goodvibes

You know me well enough to know that I'm always in trip planning mode :rotfl2:. Nothing booked yet, but there's always something going through my mind ::yes::. Still have to sit down with other family members to see just what they're thinking.....might have to light a fire under them so I can get booking :rotfl::rotfl:.

Just checked in to Sugar Loaf! We got an awesome room - the deluxe room with sitting area. It is sooooo beautiful! I don't know how to post a picture from my phone....so I will post pictures when I get home.

Congrats on the deluxe room :thumbsup2. Thanks for checking in. Hope you have a great time :yay:.

Oh nice !!! I requested that for New Year's Day 2014 and got it too. We loved it :goodvibes

However we had old style so looking forward to pics!

Have a great trip!!!:cloud9:

Hi Mickeynut!!! Looks like we are doing the"post at the same time".

You do that a lot with people:)

Hope to hear more about your family trip next year too.

Thanks for the pictures! I always seem to end up with the same kind of view... Just wish they would trim the trees a bit more often!

Me, too, I've gotten so many views of a tree I can't even count them all.:laughing:

Hi...staying at the GF for the first time. Only going to be there for 2 nights. I am really excited about having a theme park view...can anyone recommend rooms/buildings that might help us assure that we have a great view of the castle. Thank you so much.

Welcome, yay for your first GF stay!!:banana:

I remember the figaro fries...mouth watering yet again...lol...and back to the Grand sandwich...I agree soooo delicious!

Since you are doing more snacking than ADRs..I think there are may good things that you are going to "need: to try..Love to hear how you liked the waffle fries if you get to try them!

...can't wait to try them! And I will be happy to report back with my opinion...Although k&a&c'smom might get to try them first...

Hope that everyone is having a super Saturday! preppy GF gal...who is hoping not to be over on smilies today!

:teeth: They are definitely on my list! So many snacks, so little time! LOL about the smileys.

Hi everyone. Hubby and I will be staying at VGF next month. I was just wondering if there is a closer place to fill the refillable mugs other than Gasparilla's? TIA.

As someone else posted, you can get them filled at the Beach Pool Grill & Bar area, which is next to VGF.:goodvibes Photos on the first page.

Got a few minutes before we are on the go again!

Weather has been so so...t-storms/rain have been coming much earlier in the day so we haven't gotten much pool time but hoping we'll be able to tomorrow since we have the morning open . We've enjoyed some really great dinners so far. Tried Sanaa for the first time on our first night...DH & I really enjoyed that (sadly both our girls weren't as impressed . Thursday night, we had another fabulous dinner at Narcoossees, last night, we enjoyed Tapan Edo and tonight we had another great dinner at Ohana (very sad to see the lobby the way it is though). Off to hit PM EMH at MK....
There are two HDMI ports on the back of the TV (I had DH just check it ).

Thanks for the mini review, glad you had such nice dinners! Yum! Congrats on the new bag, very nice.

Thanks, too, for the TV info, I need to add that to the first page.::yes::

Woohoo!!:cheer2:

Quick question. Has anyone had bug bites of some sort at the beach?
My sis and I watched the movie at the beach last night but had to leave
Cause she was getting eaten alive! It's 4 am and she just woke up cause the
Bites were annoying her. Doesn't sound like normal mosquito bites. I was sitting
Next to her and am untouched(which is weird cause I'm always bit)
Thanks in advance. . Trying to see what, if anything, will help her.

As others said, I would guess sand fleas - but it could also be "no see ums". If it was a severely painful bite, that is probably the culprit. I had several bites on my neck during a boat ride at DTD a couple years ago, and it felt like a burning needle stuck in my neck!:scared1:

We keep both cortisone cream and Benadryl-like cream in our toiletries bag, just in case. I've had a few cases of rash or bites over the years, and it's a welcome relief. Sorry for your sister, I hope she is better soon.

We sometimes get bitten by "sand fleas" at the beach here in the Northeast. Have no idea if FL has them. They do make me itch intensely tho. Almost unbearably so. Agree with the topical gels And another thing that works surprisingly well is heat. Take a clean metal spoon & leave it in very hot water for a minute or so then apply it to the area till it cools. Or, if she got bit on her feet/ankles like I usually do, have her soak her feet in water as hot as she can stand without burning herself. You'll be surprised how well this works. HTH

Thanks for that tip!:thumbsup2

My DS had some type of "reaction" by his eye about 2 hours after returning from Blizzard Beach...

Oh, my, this sounds awful!!:hug: So sorry your boy had such a nasty bite on vacation, poor kid.

Wow, you guys have been busy since I last checked in!! The company just left, and for maybe the first time ever, I had 3 different sets of guests within a week!! :scared1: Enjoyed them all, but as I said, did have more kitchen duty for several days...

All about the food....waffle fries topped with yummy things sound delish! :thumbsup2 They're on the list for the next trip...
The Grand sandwich: I'm all about the onion fries and Bousin spread too. :love:
And mango pineapple trifle?! Can't wait for that one!!!! :dance3:

I forget who posted the pic of the castle all dressed up for Christmas...but AHHHHHH! :love:

Haven't they, though?!:faint: I posted yesterday and have a monster quote to do today, lol.

Glad you had such a nice visit, try to rest up. (I need an emoticon of someone on a lounger, lol)

With the new daybeds, I don't have a clue how big they are, but I wanted to mention the GF will give you a rollaway for free, just call housekeeping when you first get to your room. Pending availability, of course.:flower3:

Can we bring our stroller in the boat launch to the MK?

Yes, but it has to be folded up.:)

I know that there is a lot of talk around here about staying CL...CL does have its perks as I have mentioned..but not perks that everyone feels are important :confused3.... just staying at the the GF is a wonderful experience...the rooms are all the same size and decor....there are so many nice things to do..like sitting in the lobby in the evening just to listen to the wonderful music...:cloud9: An evening in Minzers enjoying drinks and the atmosphere... There are many more non CL rooms than CL rooms....and lots of people who enjoy their GF stays with out the benefits of staying CL....

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a super Sunday! :flower3: preppy GF gal who is sick of :laundy: ..lol...

I wanted to highlight this response. Reading here and on other threads, it can start to sound like CL is the only way to do the GF, or any deluxe resort - but we stay both CL and non-CL, depending on our needs, and love every trip.

For me, unless the trip is over 9 days, I probably wouldn't upgrade. I'd take that money and order room service, enjoy some special dinners or just save it for another trip, lol.

Awesome!!:cloud9: Have a perfect, Grand vacation.pixiedust:

How wonderful! Enjoy your stay and can't wait to see pictures when you get back!

Me, too, I've gotten so many views of a tree I can't even count them all.:laughing:

They must save the "special" rooms for us! ;)

mickeynut1 - :wave: I thought I quoted you, but it's missing, lol.

trisha - thanks for the photos!:goodvibes Sorry for the tree, but the lounge makes up for many sins.;)

I wanted to highlight this response. Reading here and on other threads, it can start to sound like CL is the only way to do the GF, or any deluxe resort - but we stay both CL and non-CL, depending on our needs, and love every trip.

I also do CL and non CL. It is hard to describe. Sometimes you need it for location, sometimes weather is bad(jan/Feb) and you know you won't be at pool, sometimes it's as blue says"all about the food".

You need to think about your trip and plans. Is it worth it if you go to park all day and don't come back? Or have ADR's each night?

You can stay deluxe and buy what YOU want with the money. Get your own chocolate covered strawberries at The Confectionery at MK or get drinks at Mizners.

It's nice but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Happy planning!

mickeynut1 - :wave: I thought I quoted you, but it's missing, lol.

trisha - thanks for the photos!:goodvibes Sorry for the tree, but the lounge makes up for many sins.;)
We all at the same time tonight!

Going for a "walk off the desserts walk" ;)

Have a good night!

Hi! There's a refill station at the Beach Pool.

Have a great trip!:goodvibes

I know that abk already answered this question for you ( Hey abk!! :wave2: ) ...:thumbsup2 Just wanted to say how nice to have an upcoming VGF stay!! :woohoo:

As someone else posted, you can get them filled at the Beach Pool Grill & Bar area, which is next to VGF.:goodvibes Photos on the first page.
:

Thanks everyone. I was kinda dreading the long walk if that one was the only one. I'm really excited about staying there. It's our home and our first visit home. :cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!