(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Trisha! We can't wait. And I think we have a similar touring style as you and your dd, we love the parks, but tend to spend a lot of time relaxing at the resort, too.

I have two concerns about SL that I am hoping you or someone else can alleviate. I have only stayed RPC (no rooms available this trip) and we love the ambiance in the lounge there. The space, so many different places to sit, the views of the resort, the people watching of the shops and lobby, the music, the brightness... I know it will be quite different in SL. Is there any ambience there or is it just an area with food? I'm just worried that it will feel gloomy in comparison. But I know you have said you love SL and you would certainly not love some place gloomy! And we are just thrilled to be going, period. I know we can head over to the lobby and shops any time we want.

My second concern is that I feel as though I read on here (or the CL thread) that they are being stingy with the wine? Do you have to ask for it during normal evening hours? It's not just sitting out? And I think I read that the CM's seemed to make themselves scarece so that there was really no one to ask anyway? I do love my wine in the evenings and it is one of the reasons I love CL, what has your experience been at SL with that?
You know after I eat I often stroll to the main lobby and sit with my CL wine, or stroll the grounds.

Not stingy, just you have to ask for wine. It’s been out for appetizers but not desserts . However the cordial were left out.

It’s always changing, my friend was a sl in Sept and they had a huge cabinet set up in hallway for the wines etc. they also added some outdoor seating . Overall she had a great stay.

It’s gf ! It will be GRAND:)

Oh, how I envy you! I tried and tried for main building but it was sold out by the time I started looking. Such fantastic memories there.

Because it's such a big trip (23 of us in total) I booked the rooms back in January. Unfortunately, 3 of our rooms are still at full rack rate! (But I keep checking back for discounts!!)

Speaking of: I've been talking to the same rep at WDW to help me find some discounts and we are seeing "movement". So, it may be worth it to you to check back closer to arrival if a room in the main building has opened up!

I have stalked several times a day and from this morning until now the Main Building Deluxe king just showed the AP rate for 2 weeks from now. So I gladly switched from std rpc to deluxe king.

For our 25th anniversary this is a better room too!

Keep looking! Discounts sometimes show up.

I booked using the AP rate shortly after it came out, and all that was available was SL CL. I even had to call because I had a problem booking online, so I asked and the CM also said nothing with the AP rate in RPC. Then the next AM I checked the change reservation online, and to my surprise a standard RPC room opened up with the AP discount, and I was able to change online! So things do change a lot. In fact, since then, I've seen the RPC room with the AP discount but usually don't see SL available. This is for the first week of Feb.

Thanks for the tips to keep trying for RPC, everyone! I will keep trying! I need it with the current "gift of magic" discount, which I think will be an extremely long shot, but it only takes a few seconds each time to check!

First of all, best of luck to those wanting RPC. I myself have never stayed at the GF, but the recent discount of 25% per night made it cheaper to stay there than at either the Poly or CR. A no-brainer for me, although I really never had a desire to stay there. We're booked in a lagoon-view room though, so there's that. I always thought the rooms at the GF were the largest on property, but read that they're smaller than those at CR. Oh well, the grounds are lovely, and it will be another resort to cross off our bucket list.

Thank you!

Oh, how I envy you! I tried and tried for main building but it was sold out by the time I started looking. Such fantastic memories there.
Keep checking for any RPC discounts

I had booked a trip on short notice (5 weeks out) and they didn't have anything so I had my TA book CL at YC. About 10 days before we're supposed to leave I was playing on their reservation site just looking and low and behold RPC Deluxe King. I said to myself as I was dialing my TA, I can sleep in the same bed as mom for night, also told that to her after I told her to switch us.
Well that was the trip we were super pixie dusted pixiedust: to the Grand Suite. I asked my favorite CM where our dlx king would have been and she said second floor right above Gaspies.
I'll be nice and not tell you where I was when the "your room 4001 is now ready" text came through

This was also the trip when I met in person some fellow dis-ers :wave2:

:wave: @mickeynut1 @grannyminnie @BlueSkies @Maxie86

Hey, friends! When does the Gingerbread house usually go up? I’ll be there the week before Thanksgiving! Staying for a week with my best friend!
Last year the grand opening of the Gingerbread House was on November 14. The construction was well underway according to an online post by November 8.

I am hoping we can catch the opening ceremony this year since we will be there from the 11/10-11/16! Since you are the following week, I would say you should be all set.

Enjoy!

First of all, best of luck to those wanting RPC. I myself have never stayed at the GF, but the recent discount of 25% per night made it cheaper to stay there than at either the Poly or CR. A no-brainer for me, although I really never had a desire to stay there. We're booked in a lagoon-view room though, so there's that. I always thought the rooms at the GF were the largest on property, but read that they're smaller than those at CR. Oh well, the grounds are lovely, and it will be another resort to cross off our bucket list.
Often I stay at gf for that reason, better discounts!

The lagoon view rooms will face the water but not towards the castle. The gv face the pool. For the price it’s a good option.

The rooms have a nice layout imo. Bath area has sinks separate whereas poly and CRf don’t have that.

If you want turndown service use housekeeping button and request it, it’s nice :)

When I don’t do cl I just get stuff and sit in my room. The table under the desk on wheels makes a nice table.

I think you’ll enjoy GF, it’s GRAND, right?

Last edited:
Well that was the trip we were super pixie dusted pixiedust: to the Grand Suite.

:wave: @mickeynut1 @grannyminnie @BlueSkies @Maxie86

Wait, really?? We were super pixie dusted to the Grand Suite, too! Aug 2013! For my 40th bday!!! Four nights. I have made peace with the fact that that is the best thing that will ever happen to me in my entire life! So cool to "meet" someone else that had the same experience! It was unreal!

I never had the desire to stay at the GF either, but then I bit the bullet and ended up loving the resort! It's not my #1 favorite, but it is near the top of my list. As far as the room size, I think the CR & Poly rooms are the largest, but the GF isn't far behind and is pretty comparable. Hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

Hi there :wave2:....hope things are well with you :).

Our flight leaves at 2:50 for our 10 year wedding anniversary trip to the Grand! Anniversary was actually in December but we postponed so my daughter could do the Halloween party. Still extremely excited, I've missed the Grand so much! <3

Have a great time! :jumping1:

Wait, really?? We were super pixie dusted to the Grand Suite, too! Aug 2013! For my 40th bday!!! Four nights. I have made peace with the fact that that is the best thing that will ever happen to me in my entire life! So cool to "meet" someone else that had the same experience! It was unreal!
Oh how funny. Ours was in December 2010 during Orlando's cold snap, colder there than here in Pennsylvania

As I was walking down that hall on the fifth floor to the I was like nononononononono holy bleep! It's the Grand Suite.
I miss swimming in that bathtub. Best 3 nights EVER

Agreed always neat to meet others who were pixie dusted pixiedust: that suite

You two....you make me soooo jealous!!!
ahcupcake, great to "see" you back!
:wave2:

I never had the desire to stay at the GF either, but then I bit the bullet and ended up loving the resort! It's not my #1 favorite, but it is near the top of my list. As far as the room size, I think the CR & Poly rooms are the largest, but the GF isn't far behind and is pretty comparable. Hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

Hi there :wave2:....hope things are well with you :).

Have a great time! :jumping1:

:wave:
Everything is well here except I can't tell if I'm currently suffering through an allergy attack or my first cold of the
fall/winter season.
Hello All!!!

Finally have a trip booked!! I can't believe it but I received a pin code in the snail mail. I saved 30% off for a trip in June. I love being there for my anniversary and hopefully everything works out and get to go.

I hope everyone is planning magical trips!

WooHoo on the upcoming trip
LOL on the snail mail pin code.I think I received one of those a few weeks ago

Hello All!!!

Finally have a trip booked!! I can't believe it but I received a pin code in the snail mail. I saved 30% off for a trip in June. I love being there for my anniversary and hopefully everything works out and get to go.

I hope everyone is planning magical trips!
How many years now for you guys? Hope you have a great trip and happy planning:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter