2014/2015 Beach and Yacht Club FAQ, Friends & Fun, Sept 2014-Mayl 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I just booked a last minute trip to Beach Club arriving 3/18. We were able to get the Spring offer and are staying Club level :yay: Our first time staying there. So excited. Have 2 girls, ages 5 and 13. We are usually go off-season and do commando but this will be more of a relaxing trip. Loved all the information in the first couple posts. Thank you!!

My agent was working hard for me, and was able to move me over from Yacht Club to Beach Club! Not only did we choose this resort (all four women), but we will likely have a refurbished room for our upcoming August trip. I'm psyched.

Looking at the refurb pictures, the cute lamp with lifeguard Mickey was replaced. I wonder what they will do with hundreds of those lamps.

:offtopic:, but.....

Many changes are going on at Disney. Our trip last year, MK barriers were up at the hub and prior to that in Fantasyland. All of my pictures, for years, of cinderellas castle include a crane. Can anyone tell me if this construction at MK is done? Is Pirates of the Carribean under refurb or shut down forever?

I read about a bling Cinderella carriage at MGM (I think I can call it this again) park for the new movie. Will this be permanent? I also read that the icon Sorcerer Hat was removed. Can this be true? Is backlot under refurb or shut down forever?

They are adding a theatre to Soarin and another track at Toy Story. Does this take the whole attraction out of business for the enhancements? Maelstrom is gone. What is replacing it, and by when?

I have not read anything about animal. Did I miss any news?

I like the refurbed rooms at GF, but they took out the Mickey lamps there too :-(. Seems they are doing this at all the resorts, sad cause I liked them. Wish they would leave them.

Don't get me started on those lamps!!!

I miss the Mickey lamps, along with the famous fish lamps that served as a Beach Club trail marker for many years. At the moment, I can't find a picture of the long lost fish lamp. Looks like we need a Disney/Beach Club retired lamp museum.

The Paradise Pier Hotel has (had) those Mickey lifeguard lamps as well in guest rooms. Not sure if they are still there, but I hope so.

:idea:

The theme park forums on the DIS have some good info about changes going on at the World, but my favorite source of information is my friend Missy's blog page Magic of Main Street (Facebook and on the web). Great, topical news, fantastic writing and pictures by her husband Franklin that will blow you away!!!

I haven't read if the work on the MK hub is done yet. Anyone know?

Pirates is scheduled for refurbishment from May 11-Sept 25. Boo!!! It will be closed during my trip with teens

http://www.magicofmainstreet.com/pirates-of-the-caribbean-to-close-for-most-of-summer/

Not sure about Cinderella's Coach, yes "The Hat" is gone, Backlot Tour is closed forever. I don't think Disney has officially announced what will be happening over in that area of the park. There is speculation of a Star Wars expansion or possibly a Pixarland/Carsland addition like at California Adventure.

Very brief piece about Soarin and Toy Story- slated for late 2016. This news doesn't say if the attractions will be offline during the work.

http://www.magicofmainstreet.com/disney-is-expanding-soarin-and-toy-story-mania/

I have heard the Maelstrom attraction is being permanently replaced with a something Frozen.

The biggies at Animal Kingdom: Lion King has a new theatre in Africa and Avatar land is under construction in the Camp Mickey/Minnie area that formerly hosted the theatre .

:listen:

Last edited:
Price of a Case of Water at the Beach Club Marketplace is $16 according to a friend who checked recently. I believe this is for a 24 pack of Dasani water in 12 oz. bottles.

:drinking1

At one 2 minute glance of a map and touring plan for both water parks - the most interested kid tells me Typhoon. I probably read the same blog reviewer for both parks. I will not be going for ambiance, though it does make the water park more special. I will be going for slides - and from what I read the slides at blizzard for better, especially for families. My group is all women (72 years young, 44, 15, and 14). Did they move Skylift to Blizzard? But, the shark pool would be missed. I do not get the thrill of being pounded by waves like being on a beach with a hurricane coming (been there), but I won't be able to give an opinion if I never try it. I am surprised this debate is not more active on the internet. Decisions...Decisions...

I think the debate isn't more active because both parks are really great. For what it's worth, my family enjoys both water parks and we visit both on every visit. However, i have to give a slight edge to Blizzard. Water Parks have tons of stairs. Tons of stairs. Lots of walking and climbing. However, at Blizzard there is a chair lift to take you to the family raft ride entrance (and Summit Plummet, if you're interested in that). Also, the wave pool at Typhoon is too much for me and for young kids or anyone who isn't a strong swimmer. Shark Reef is pretty cool. The Starr, however, is kept in the 60s for the animals. Brrrr.

No matter which WP you choose, I think you will have a great time.

Some good news today. Had my six month check-up at Moffitt Cancer Center and I'm good to go for six months. Yippeee me!!!

And Jeanne and Lily are running/walking in a 5K Bubble Race in Vegas tomorrow. Hopefully Dee will post of the pics Jeanne posts on facebook.

Great news!

Good morning Friend,
I see you're still up and posting at 6am on a Sunday. Is that Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Dee Time? I just need to make sure my clock is set right!

Yes, it is!! I hope everyone has a Magical day, especially those at the World or the ones to be there shortly.

Katesdad

I am listening to everyone on tv complaining about "losing an hour". Personally, I love this time change. If my body is going to insist on waking up at 4 am, I prefer it to happen at 5, if you know what I mean.

:surfweb:

My agent was working hard for me, and was able to move me over from Yacht Club to Beach Club! Not only did we choose this resort (all four women), but we will likely have a refurbished room for our upcoming August trip. I'm psyched.

Looking at the refurb pictures, the cute lamp with lifeguard Mickey was replaced. I wonder what they will do with hundreds of those lamps.

:offtopic:, but.....

Many changes are going on at Disney. Our trip last year, MK barriers were up at the hub and prior to that in Fantasyland. All of my pictures, for years, of cinderellas castle include a crane. Can anyone tell me if this construction at MK is done? Is Pirates of the Carribean under refurb or shut down forever?

I read about a bling Cinderella carriage at MGM (I think I can call it this again) park for the new movie. Will this be permanent? I also read that the icon Sorcerer Hat was removed. Can this be true? Is backlot under refurb or shut down forever?

They are adding a theatre to Soarin and another track at Toy Story. Does this take the whole attraction out of business for the enhancements? Maelstrom is gone. What is replacing it, and by when?

I have not read anything about animal. Did I miss any news?
The Cinderella carriage is scheduled to be there until sometime in April.

The partners statue was uncovered yesterday, but the crane still remains for now.

I have not read that Soarin' or TSMM will be shut down during these enhancements.

Maelstrom is being revamped with Frozen, and a new M&G area is being added for Anna and Elsa. This won't open until early 2016.

I think the rest of your questions were answered. :)

Teena, so glad to hear about your check-up!

Just want to share my excitement - checking in in just 3 days!! We actually extended our stay by one night, it was cheaper to fly out a day early, and spend the night at Pop Century! My plan is to hightail it out of Pop at the crack of dawn and check in at the Beach Club on Wednesday morning...stow our bags, take a walk around the Boardwalk, have breakfast in France, hang at the pool and chill out until our room is ready. I am one of those people who LOVES checking in, so we didn't do online check in or opt for the curbside thing at the Beach Club. Yay!!

page 186-187

I love all the information and pics on this thread! The new rooms look great too. Just booked Beach Club garden view March 18th-21 for our spring break trip. We are doing a split stay with CBR first. Our family is excited since we haven't stayed at BC since 2010. I thought it would be a nice surprise since we will be in Disney over my DD's 15th birthday. They grow up so fast. Anyway we are looking forward to eating at Cape May Cafe and Beaches & Cream and spending time at SAB! Would you please add me to the Be our Guest list.

Thanks in advance,
Nichole

:welcome: back!!!

I remember your family from the last trip.

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list.

:woohoo:

Do the std view rooms at the YC face the front of the hotel? Are there any garden view rooms facing the front of the hotel or are they pretty much facing the back of the hotel? Looked at page 1 for the views and couldn't really tell.

:rainbow:

Yes, the standard view rooms face the front of the resort (and some have a view of the MK fireworks)

I don't know if any of the GV rooms face the front. I'm guessing no, but there could be one or two exceptions.

:)

Im sorry, we're at the Yacht Club-May 29th-June 6th

Got it!!!

:goodvibes:

Hi guys!

Finally finalized our vacation plans. We were all over the place.
In the end we stuck with the BB we booked last August. We will be there
August 20-29 at the GF.

I will still HAVE to run over to BC to get my fix (Cape May Buffet!).
Teena - will you be there those dates or will you be off to visit Jeanne and set up
for school?

It's our first time with free dining. We haven't had DDP in year (didn't want to pay adult
prices for kids who eat mostly chicken nuggets!) so I booked a lot of buffets!

Thanks for sharing your plans.

Bummer that Teena will be gone during that time :(

Ben and I have his class trip to Disney in June and the family is going to Yellowstone in early August, so I'm not sure if Florida will be part of our summer plans this year. But we do have US Annual Passes, so it would be a shame not to squeeze in one.more.trip...

:rolleyes1

Just have to say....... ONE. MORE. WEEK!!!!!!!

Leaving Thursday afternoon right after school for our 21 hour drive from southern Ontario, a night at Doubletree in Downtown Disney, then Beach Club check in on Saturday!!

Yes, just a little excited,lol.
:jumping1:

I swear, the first green thing I see I am going to jump for joy. This has been a long winter......

::yes::

Our trip dates are July 23-30 2015. Love being back on this thread!

Great! Got it.

:cool1:

Hello all,

I just booked a last minute trip to Beach Club arriving 3/18. We were able to get the Spring offer and are staying Club level :yay: Our first time staying there. So excited. Have 2 girls, ages 5 and 13. We are usually go off-season and do commando but this will be more of a relaxing trip. Loved all the information in the first couple posts. Thank you!!

:welcome:

Glad you found the info upfront to be helpful.

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list.

:cheer2:

I love daylight savings time....One hour closer to Disney. Five pesky days at work then we are on holidays!!! cannot wait! Last year we missed Teena, but this year it is our mission to meet her. My Lily is pin trading for the first time and she wants test run with Teena!
BC is so close!!!!!

I am listening to everyone on tv complaining about "losing an hour". Personally, I love this time change. If my body is going to insist on waking up at 4 am, I prefer it to happen at 5, if you know what I mean.

:surfweb:

I like to pretend my kids actually slept in. Although I think to be fair we should have spring temperatures before I'm expected to spring anywhere.

Dining question - I'll check the dining sub forum for the answer, but thought I'd ask here, because someone here probably knows the answer. And I know a question like "if my now-adult niece decides to sleep in rather than eat at 'Ohana, will I be charged the cancellation fee even if the other four of us show up?" won't be met with "people like you are the reason we can't have nice things."

So, does the no-show fee count against the party, or against each guest? I originally made an ADR for Akershus. But, honestly, I'm doing this for Thing 4 and not me. The other three members of the party could not care less about eating with princesses. If someone has to suffer through another princess meal, it should be the rest of Thing 4's immediate family. So I think I'm switching to the Biergarten. I love that place. I think there should be plenty of options for everyone, even my vegetarian sister (who could not care less what is eaten in front of her as long as she doesn't have to partake). But if I'm going to get stuck with a no-show fee, I'll just cancel Akershus and wing it. It's possible we could get an ADR at Biergarten last minute. And if we can't, it's not like we'll starve in the world showcase.

Good Morning!

Very grateful to the Lord for the precious news for Teena. Hope these words bring happiness the hearts that read it.

We were just at WDW last weekend. The side of the hub in front of Casey's was opened and will be ....

Don't get me started on those lamps!
......Magic of Main Street (Facebook and on the web).
:listen:

The Cinderella carriage is scheduled to be there until sometime in April.
........ :)

Thank you for all the helpful responses. I read these things on the Internet, but do not expect to find a French Actor to date if you know what I mean. I feel more confident with your confirmations. How can they get rid of the MGM Hat Icon?

Last edited:
I think the debate isn't more active because both parks are really great. For what it's worth, my family enjoys both water parks and we visit both on every visit. However, i have to give a slight edge to Blizzard. Water Parks have tons of stairs. Tons of stairs. Lots of walking and climbing. However, at Blizzard there is a chair lift to take you to the family raft ride entrance (and Summit Plummet, if you're interested in that). Also, the wave pool at Typhoon is too much for me and for young kids or anyone who isn't a strong swimmer. Shark Reef is pretty cool. The Starr, however, is kept in the 60s for the animals. Brrrr.

No matter which WP you choose, I think you will have a great time.

My almost interested youngest, DD13, has watched uTube videos of both park rides. She thinks she will not go in Shark Tank or want to be tossed into the hoards of folks at the wave pool. It was way over crowded in the video we watched. After seeing and comparing the slides, she now agrees with me for Blizzard as our one "Fun Day".

A
I like to pretend my kids actually slept in. Although I think to be fair we should have spring temperatures before I'm expected to spring anywhere.

Dining question - I'll check the dining sub forum for the answer, but thought I'd ask here, because someone here probably knows the answer. And I know a question like "if my now-adult niece decides to sleep in rather than eat at 'Ohana, will I be charged the cancellation fee even if the other four of us show up?" won't be met with "people like you are the reason we can't have nice things."

So, does the no-show fee count against the party, or against each guest? I originally made an ADR for Akershus. But, honestly, I'm doing this for Thing 4 and not me. The other three members of the party could not care less about eating with princesses. If someone has to suffer through another princess meal, it should be the rest of Thing 4's immediate family. So I think I'm switching to the Biergarten. I love that place. I think there should be plenty of options for everyone, even my vegetarian sister (who could not care less what is eaten in front of her as long as she doesn't have to partake). But if I'm going to get stuck with a no-show fee, I'll just cancel Akershus and wing it. It's possible we could get an ADR at Biergarten last minute. And if we can't, it's not like we'll starve in the world showcase.
As long as someone in your party shows up for your ADR, you will not be charged :)

A

As long as someone in your party shows up for your ADR, you will not be charged :)

Perfect - thanks! If I had an ADR for something like BOG, I'd make sure we had the right number of guests in case someone wanted those seats. But most of my reservations aren't hard to get. Still debating whether to add one for Spice Road Table. I really liked my meal there.

We are headed back to Beach Club in November. We are doing a split stay this time. Beach Club from Nov 13-18 and AKL Savannah view from Nov 18-22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter