2013 - Yes I Am Already Planning!

Linda67

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone

Hope you can help me out with this (I am still finding my feet with DVC)

We've decided to use our DVC points in November 2013 at OKW

Our home resort is VWL

If I purchase 4 one usage points at $15 per point (info on the DVC members site) we will have enough points for 11 nights at OKW by my calculations.

We will just book and pay cash for 3 nights elsewhere to make up our two week holiday

So, when I hit my 11 month window for VWL in December of this year, should I book VWL for as many nights as I can afford with my points (obviously less nights than I would get at OKW) and then try and switch to OKW for a longer stay when the 7 month window opens in May 2013 or should I just wait?

My use year is Feb; anything I should be aware of with this :confused3

Thanks all :goodvibes

You are right in your understanding that you can only get the one time usage points at the 7 month mark. I can't see there being a probelm with you getting OKW in November anyway but, if you would feel better at least having 'something' booked then, yes, go ahead and book VWL for as many nights as you can.

Don't forget that another option for the extra points you need could be to request a transfer of the number of points you need from another DVC member. If you didn't want to go down that route, for the other three nights you mention you could always try and get a DVC cash rate at OKW. Again, you will only be able to do this at the 7 month point and it's not always avaialbe but it can't hurt to ask.

What dates are you planning? We are looking to go in October next year, coming back around 2nd/3rd Nov.

ETA: Just realised I didn't answer the UY question. Are you planning to borrow points from your 2013/14 UY to complete your reservation or only use current UY points? If using current, the only problem I can foresee is that, if you needed to cancel for any reason, you might be outside your banking window. I think the deadline is 8 months after the start of your UY. So would be start of October for you meaning it wouldn't be an issue anyway as you would be almost within the 30 days if you had to cancel at that point and points would go into holding at that stage anyway. With borrowing points, the only problem if you had to cancel is that they cannot be returned so you would probably have to forfeit them unless you could fit another trip in before February.

Hope that is correct, I'm not really an expert on banking since we never have enough points left to bank ;)

You are right in your understanding that you can only get the one time usage points at the 7 month mark. I can't see there being a probelm with you getting OKW in November anyway but, if you would feel better at least having 'something' booked then, yes, go ahead and book VWL for as many nights as you can.

Don't forget that another option for the extra points you need could be to request a transfer of the number of points you need from another DVC member. If you didn't want to go down that route, for the other three nights you mention you could always try and get a DVC cash rate at OKW. Again, you will only be able to do this at the 7 month point and it's not always avaialbe but it can't hurt to ask.

What dates are you planning? We are looking to go in October next year, coming back around 2nd/3rd Nov.

ETA: Just realised I didn't answer the UY question. Are you planning to borrow points from your 2013/14 UY to complete your reservation or only use current UY points? If using current, the only problem I can foresee is that, if you needed to cancel for any reason, you might be outside your banking window. I think the deadline is 8 months after the start of your UY. So would be start of October for you meaning it wouldn't be an issue anyway as you would be almost within the 30 days if you had to cancel at that point and points would go into holding at that stage anyway. With borrowing points, the only problem if you had to cancel is that they cannot be returned so you would probably have to forfeit them unless you could fit another trip in before February.

Hope that is correct, I'm not really an expert on banking since we never have enough points left to bank ;)

Yay my fave moderator/travel agent has replied :wave2:

We want to fly-out on October 31st, do MNSSHP on Nov 1st (there usually is one on this date) and then stay for 14 nights, grabbing a bit of the food and wine festival and the start of the Christmas fun!

It would be sooo great if you were out there at the same time, think of the cocktails :cool1:

So I have banked the 2 points I had left from 2012

I have 120 points per use year so I will have 122 points in 2013 which just 4 points shy of 11 nights at OKW

Here is what I am thinking 31st October x 3 nights at Art Of Animation, followed by 11 nights at OKW which would be possible if I bought 4 one use points at a total of $60

Does this make sense? do my dates/deadlines work?

Yes, that should work. :Like I said, you shouldn't have any problem at all getting OKW (presuming a studio?) in November. Just book however many nights you can get at VWL, then switch at the 7-month mark to OKW and book the rest. You will only be able to book 7 nights at a time and then can either add a day each day after or wait until a week later and add the last 4 days.

We will most definitely be there for a bit of the time that you are as we are booked on the Western Caribbean on the Fantasy from 26th October so will be back in Orlando and at WDW for at least one night after, which will be the night of the 2nd. Is that a date then :drinking1

Thanks Joh, you're a star :)
I will contact WDW to make sure that there are sufficient vodka and glow cube stocks for November 2013 !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter