20 Years of Dreams Event - Official Thread

the money from Patreon goes directly toward producing the content everyone enjoys. Why shouldn't they get first crack?

I definitely get that - I think the issue is this structure is a new development and sort of "changing the rules mid-game" but at the end of the day there are a lot of chances to hang with the team - even just at the main room in the Contemporary

I’ll also probably be bidding on a lot of auction items that I really don’t need, but that’s where the GKTW comes into play.
LOL. We take a different approach to the auction. We know we don't need that stuff so instead of buying a bunch of the items, we donate a bunch of the items. We figure the money they raise from selling everything we donate is one way we help support GKTW. And I love watching to see how much the items we contributed bring in.

I signed up for the transportation to the party, but I’m unclear on the details. Did I miss them? How early will we be picked up? Trying to make dinner plans.

Correct me if I’m wrong anybody but I believe the transportation is just to get back to your hotel after the party. You have to make your own way there for it.
I signed up & paid for the Transport after the party. I believe you have to make your own way there before the party starts.

I replied to John because this applies to the event and isn't intended to be a reply to anyone in particular.

I've been doing events for 40+ years, most recently a national convention for a leisure group in Orlando in 2017 with nearly 2,000 people attending.

I had been avoiding attending because in my own little mind, the cost was too much for me this year. I was thinking the cost for this event was somewhere between $200 and $250. When I finally checked it out and saw it was $35 I thought Oh My God.

Everything the promoter uses for and at the event has a cost to the promoter. I've rarely seen anyone have the run of the resort for rooms like "The Dis" has; there are rooms at every Disney owned resort. They are using meeting rooms and usually they come with a required food and beverage component or you pay for the meeting rooms.

As a comparison, for 2017, Disney would “give” us all the meeting space at no cost but wanted a minimum commitment of $325,000 in Food and Beverage purchases by us (not by convention attendees in Restaurants and Bars at Coronado Springs) for 7 days.

There may not be a line item on an invoice, but you are paying for it in some way. Those free meeting rooms were anything but free. Same thing for this event.

From The Dis we get the websites for free. We get all the YouTube content for free. We get all the Social Media content for free. But it all has a cost in time and money to give it to us for free. Six video cameras, six microphones, 12 stands, cables, a sound board, a video mixer, the headsets, the studio monitors, all the software to run it all, a hefty broadband internet connection, it all costs them money and it is anything but cheap. And people are complaining that they have to pay Patreon $10 a month for a few months. The Patreon fees help offset these costs.

We’re paying $35 to attend. Pandora is costing $95. That’s $130. By comparison, the annual Star Wars convention costs $200+. D23 costs a heck of a lot more. And for these add ons, meeting the Dis staff, Patreon members have first crack at getting in with them. And the profits go to Give Kids The World.

The event costs less than dinner for two. With Pandora it costs $36 for 12 months. And people are complaining? Because you may not be able to meet one of the Dis staff?
Great Comparison on costs & what the DIS provide us with daily & weekly at no cost to us.
This will be our first DIS meet & we feel so lucky that we managed to get tickets for the Pandora event & it fell during our 2 week vacation at WDW this year.
What the DIS team do & have been doing for GKTW over the years has been awesome.
We are looking forward to attending the silent auction.
What John & the team have planned is incredible.
We are not Patreon contributors but we have spoken about it & have decided to sign up this month.
We love the shows & what the team does, they have given us immense pleasure & tips over the past 10 years.
So we are going to help them by being Patreon subscribers.

I want to add a complaint. How am I supposed to choose between Cookies with Jackie and Crafting with Kathy????? :scratchin Crafting make me hungry. Can we combine the events? :rotfl2:Can't wait to see everyone!
I know! I want to do them both!

Uh oh...what have I said this time😳😳 I always find a way😂😂

in british it has a sexual connotation - when you chat someone up, it's kind of like hitting on them i guess is the best analogy...

there are lots of amusing differences between british and american.....i've learned the hard way....(as in never call that thing people wear around their waist a 'fanny pack" - call it a bum bag when you're in the UK.....fanny does not mean the same thing in british as in american.... :oops: )....

in british it has a sexual connotation - when you chat someone up, it's kind of like hitting on them i guess is the best analogy...

there are lots of amusing differences between british and american.....i've learned the hard way....(as in never call that thing people wear around their waist a 'fanny pack" - call it a bum bag when you're in the UK.....fanny does not mean the same thing in british as in american.... :oops: )....

I have seen "chatting someone up" used in similar connotation here - like sort of flirting or hitting on someone

I do enjoy the differences ... my kids (more when they were a bit younger) watched a kids show called "Peppa Pig" that was British and you use some of those British terms (like "lift" for "elevator", things like that)

I have seen "chatting someone up" used in similar connotation here - like sort of flirting or hitting on someone

I do enjoy the differences ... my kids (more when they were a bit younger) watched a kids show called "Peppa Pig" that was British and you use some of those British terms (like "lift" for "elevator", things like that)

but in american, you can say chatting someone up with an entirely non-sexual connotation.
Not so in British - it is always romantic/sexual.

there are funny differences that years ago would make me do a double take...........

Does add a very humorous spin on things, but not what I was going for here😂🤣

but in american, you can say chatting someone up with an entirely non-sexual connotation.

there are funny differences that years ago would make me do a double take........

Definitely as my other half would go spare, if I said I had a load of American’s chatting me up while on a solo trip..

It’s a bit like when you guys say fanny meaning butt, always make me laugh as it means something different in the UK..

Also you will need to google that one as I’m not explaining it as I’ve read the boards guild lines and keep it clean folks, keep it clean..

there are funny differences that years ago would make me do a double take...........

Whew......I’m glad I’m not the only one who used that terminology in the states in a non-sexual way. Was starting to re-evaluate a lot of conversations I have had over the past several decades😂🤣

Definitely as my other half would go spare, if I said I had a load of American’s chatting me up while on a solo trip..

It’s a bit like when you guys say fanny meaning butt, always make me laugh as it means something different in the UK..
Oh, the stories you could go home with. A group of conventioneers chatting you up while trying to outbid each other on fanny packs😂😂😂

or how americans wear pants....brits do too, just not the same ones the americans are referring to...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!