2 staterooms: maybe cancelling one, book together or separately?

richmo

DIS Veteran
Considering booking a trip for next June out of Bayonne. There would probably be four: the two of us plus our two adult-age kids. I will likely book two staterooms. The catch is, I have no idea at this point whether the kids will be able to go, due to jobs, classes, etc. I expect to know before the 90 day full payment is required. So:
- Keeping in mind I may be cancelling one of the staterooms, does it make a difference whether I book both staterooms on the same itinerary, or should I book two separate itineraries - one for us and one for the kids?
- If the answer is that I should book them separately, can they be linked for dining seating purposes?
- Another scenario is that one of the kids might be able to go and the other not. Can you drop one person from a reservation? I'm aware that that stateroom would fall into single cruiser pricing so it wouldn't be much less expensive than with two. Also with that scenario, is there a cost difference if the two staterooms are linked in the same itinerary?
- Following up on the last scenario, if (before the 90 day mark), one of the kids can't go and the other finds a friend to come along, can we swap the names on the reservation?

I would probably call RCCL and ask your questions so you get the most accurate answers - especially regarding changing names/swapping passengers. FWIW, I recently booked two adjoining staterooms and they booked it as two separate reservation numbers and the cc was charged for two separate deposits. The reservations are linked (they let us list 3 very young kids on one reservation and two adults on the other). The agent assured me they were linked for dining purposes and in case anything changes on the itinerary, it would happen to both. Hope that helps with your first two questions.

Also - when calling to book, make sure you request the refundable fare. The first time I called the agent I spoke with gave me the nonrefundable quotes and when I specifically asked about it, she then gave me the refundable rates. You definitely don't want to get stuck with non refundable fares given the uncertainty in the kids' schedules.

I wound up booking online - two staterooms, one a balcony for us booked as non-refundable and a promenade interior for the kids booked as refundable. I think there's a better than even chance they won't be able to make it due to summer classes/jobs, but I'll keep the one stateroom as a placeholder for now since there aren't many rooms left. No problem linking them either...there's a place on the website for that.

Also looked up the name change policy on RCI website: you can change a name up to 24 hr before sailing, but at least one person from the original reservation has to sail

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!