2 rooms at an all-star or 1 at a nicer hotel?

my4kids

DIS Veteran<br><font color=darkorchid>Oh God, I'm
I'm brand new at this and actually my family doesn't really travel at all.
M husband and I decided to take our 4 kids on our first trip to disney for our 11th anniversary (I was expecting #4 on our 10th anniversary and could not travel)

Here is my big question - Is it better to book 2 rooms at a value resort or 1 at a moderate or deluxe resort considering the size of our family (my husband , myself, 3 kids and 1 baby in a crib)

I would love to stay at the Poly- but 1 room there looks like it is more expensive than 2 at a value. I was also considering 1 or 2 rooms at the riverside. Any info at all on this would be appreciated!

Also any helpful info on getting a discounted rate at a nicer hotel for 1 room would be great! :3dglasses kid1 :lovestruc kid2 :moped: kid3 :bounce: kid4

I would go with 2 rooms at a less expensive hotel. Having 6 people use one bathroom to get ready in the morning is a nightmare and it feels like you can never get out the door! I say this because I don't spend time at the resort - I am a park commando from the time I get ready in the morning until the time my head hits the pillow. And for me, the money that I'm spending isn't for a relaxing resort experience, it's for a fun park/themed experience. Even though I like to tour other resorts to experience their theming, I'm not a pool sitter while in WDW.

As for discounts, the popular answers are to check the boards often and to check out AAA. The annual pass used to be a good option for people with large families (if one person purchases the annual pass and reserves the rooms for their AP discounted rates), but this system has changed and offers only a change at a future lower rate, not a guaranteed - or even planned -one.

Good luck!

Fort Wilderness may work for you. The rates for now are 260.00 a night but the cabin has a full kitchen which would cut out a lot of money for food. It has 535 sq. ft, so its roomier than any of the hotel rooms. There's a kitchen/family room with a pull down bed,the master bedroom has a double and bunk beds and the bathroom is nice. You could punch in your dates and find out the cabin cost for when you'll be there. There's also a petting zoo and every night there's an outdoor movei and sing-a-long.These are free. You can choose to buy or bring your won stuff to make s'mores. There's also a hay ride but i don't know what that costs. My kids always loved Fort Wilderness!!

We are in the same boat. We are planning our first ever trip to WDW with 4 kids. I think we are going with 2 rooms at a Value Resort for the extra bathroom, more space and that we can also switch kids if anyone is annoyed with anyone :) It stinks that I have to spend our first vacation away from my husband, but it's going to save money, and probably some sanity.

We are thinking about spending our last night at one of the deluxe resorts in one room just to have the experience.

Chelley,

Away from your husband? - That's no vacation! Get adjoining rooms. Stick all the kids in the OTHER room. That is the biggest plus of getting 2 rooms I think.

I vote for the 2 rooms! Just 3 kids I would say go for the Mod, but 6 in one room would be pushing it. We are getting two rooms at the POR but my mom and dad are paying for the one and 3 of our kids will be bunking with them. I know....poor mom and dad....LOL :)

my4kids said:
Chelley,

Away from your husband? - That's no vacation! Get adjoining rooms. Stick all the kids in the OTHER room. That is the biggest plus of getting 2 rooms I think.

Just make sure to request connecting rooms...not adjoining. Adjoining is beside but not with the connecting door. I always said adjoining when making ressies at other places and never had a problem but I have seen others on here make note about saying "connecting" when requesting at Disney or else you may just end up with rooms beside one another.

we've stayed at ft. wilderness, coranado springs, and all stars. The cabin was nice, but since we didnt use kitchen it was a waste of $$. We loved CS but it wasn't cheap. We had to get two rooms there. At all starts, we got the two rooms (connecting) and did fine. The kids went in one room , we went in the other. Kids loved it, they could watch their shows, and we could watch ours. 2 bathrooms were great,too. Definitely vote for 2 rooms.

I agree that two rooms at a value resort may be your answer. Tell the CM who books your reservation you MUST have connecting rooms. If you're a AAA member you can get a pretty good rate.

But you might consider renting points from a Disney Vacation Club member and staying at one of the wonderful DVC resorts. There's an area here that could lead you to a member willing to rent points. I've done it, it worked out beautifully.

Or you might price buy an annual pass for your or your husband so you can get "Best Rate" prices and the restaurant discounts.

Have fun choosing. What fun you're going to have.

I am doing 2 rooms at All Star in Dec for my family of 4...it's cheap and 2 bathrooms rock! That way we can all have our own beds...especially since we are staying 10 nights!!! I may want to have my own space from dh at that point...hahaha..I'M GOING TO BE TIRED WHEN I HEAD BACK TO MY ROOM!
I do like the idea of staying at Fort Wilderness...but it really went over my budget for 10 nights...but if that'll work for you it sounds good too.

I would do 2 rooms at a value resort. Make sure to let them know that the 2nd room if for children so you must have a connecting room. I don't know the ages of all your kids but I'm assuming one is less than a year since you were still preggo on your 10th anniversary and they will love the decore at the values. On my last trip I had a 2yo, 11yo, and 13yo and they loved the resort. We visited other pricier resorts for meals and they liked our resort the best (we stayed all star movies-dalmation). It is your honeymoon though so you do need to consider what you guys want too but the way I see it happy kids make happy parents. Besides with the 2 rooms at value you can put all the kids in the other room and and enjoy your time together.

To me the difference between the value and the mods are not that much -- except for dining options. If you're planning on more table service meals the nicer the resort, the better your options. I however, try to spend as little time at the resort as possible as I'd rather be in the parks -- that's why I'm there after all.

In your sitation, go with 2 rooms at the value resort -- you've got a room that you and a little one can crash out in for the afternoon nap, while the rest hit the pool and can pit-stop back to the other room without disturbing the little ones...

Servants of Evan

Our family of five has opted for 2 connecting rooms at value. Love having the extra bathroom, extra space, extra TV, and it's nice in the evening to be able to put the kids to bed, and DH and I can stay up and watch the news, read or you know! Kids' think it's neat to have their "own" room too.

They will guarantee connecting rooms if you're travelling with small children.

We are a family of 6. We've done Poly, Cont, BW villas, (these when we were fam of 5) more recently POR, OKW 2bdrm, & ASMu 2 rooms. My favorites are the villas, but also most expensive. My next favorite is the ASMu. I have 3 teens & 1 toddler. This was very reasonable & the 2 bathrooms was a huge bonus compared to the POR.
Good luck & enjoy.

Have you considered renting points from a DVC member? You might be able to get a two bedroom at Old Key West. The 4 kids would fit perfectly in the one room leaving the master with a king bed for you and DH. Full kitchen, wacher and dryer in unit save lots. I always cook/prepare all breakfasts and many dinners too. This saves us lots of $$ and is not a burden at all. We enjoy coming back to the resort in the afternoon for a break, swim in the pools and naps some days. This option would give you two full bathrooms too and 3 TV's.

Disney Hot Mama said:
Have you considered renting points from a DVC member? You might be able to get a two bedroom at Old Key West. The 4 kids would fit perfectly in the one room leaving the master with a king bed for you and DH. Full kitchen, wacher and dryer in unit save lots. I always cook/prepare all breakfasts and many dinners too. This saves us lots of $$ and is not a burden at all. We enjoy coming back to the resort in the afternoon for a break, swim in the pools and naps some days. This option would give you two full bathrooms too and 3 TV's.

I agree with this suggestion. The double whirlpool tub and balcony would also help with that honeymoon atmosphere. Also, if staying on site is not that important to you, you can also get very reasonable 2-3 bedroom villas. WIth young children, you'll find the washer, dryer, multiple bathrooms and television, and full kitchen (even if you don't plan on alot of cooking) not too mention SPACE to spread out , really help make your vacation more enjoyable.

2 rooms-While you are there go on the DVC tour. :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

except for the baby you had last year, you don't mention how old your kids are? I'm assuming that since you are celebrating your 11th, that they are all pretty young. I find the Problem with values you don't have a refridge or coffee maker, no place to heat bottle, make coffee or tea, oatmeal, no place to keep juice or milk cold for cereal -I've always found it so much easier to get the kids a bagel or bowl of cereal in the room then to continuely go out to dinner with 4 small kids.

imho a kitchen is a must with four young kids so i would:

I would seriously look into the fort wilderness cabins, they sleep 6, have a full kitchen, have many activites for young children at this resort and are a boat ride away from MK.

or

Would look on the DVC Rental board about renting a villa at either Sarasota Springs or Old Key West, depending on when you are going you could get a two bedroom villa for 240.00 to like 260.00/nite. these villas are beautiful.. if you are interested in this option pm me and i will give you the name of an individual that i have rented from on a number of occassions.

or

look at renting a house just outside of the park -renting a house the year before we purchased with another family (10 people). it had 5 bedrooms (2-masters), three bathrooms, kitchen, living room dining room, family room and a screened in pool out the back door. We traveled in august and the price was very reasonable.

imho I would avoid two value rooms, I've stayed at POP and ASM and found them both pretty cool resorts but also very active, lots of people and loud if i had had little kids i think it would have been hard to get them to unwind in the afternoons for a nap or at nite for bed. I like to stay where you can get away from all the hype for alittle while and just come down from all the excitement.

Whatever you decide have a great time - the kids are gonna love it.
deb

We were at ASSp with 2 rooms. My DH and myself with DS11,DS13 and DS14 and it worked out great. DH sharred a bed with DS11 and the rest of us had our own bed. If you do get two rooms make sure you bring 2 tooth pastes--makes life a little easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts