2 family question

disneywv

Earning My Ears
We're planning a BLT 2 bedroom, stay for July 2018. We have a 200 point contract and will have 232 points to use excluding borrowing. The second family is our daughter, son in law and 2 small children. Daughter suggested not borrowing, but paying portion in cash. Is this possible? Can this work for an 11 month booking?

We're planning a BLT 2 bedroom, stay for July 2018. We have a 200 point contract and will have 232 points to use excluding borrowing. The second family is our daughter, son in law and 2 small children. Daughter suggested not borrowing, but paying portion in cash. Is this possible? Can this work for an 11 month booking?

You can do that but it's booking the full additional nights on cash and having the reservations linked together or mentioned as a continuing stay. MS has some villa availability on cash - the rate is 25% less than rack rate and isn't always available. CRO will also have villas for cash stays and then you would ask both CRO and MS to note on each reservation that you would like to stay in the same suite.

You also could look for a point transfer from another owner or just go ahead and borrow for this stay and then deal with cash in the future if you're out of points to borrow. Personally I'd probably do that - borrow and deal with the lack of points on the next trip unless I had a very specific use for them that I knew of and doing cash on this trip was easier or cheaper than on the next trip.

Kathy covered the details already but I just wanted to emphasize that it's not possible to pay for a reservation with a mix of points and cash. As Kathy described, you have to book two separate reservations, one for the nights you're booking with points and a separate reservation for the nights you are booking with cash. Then follow the steps Kathy describes to alert the room assigner that your two reservations are two parts of one continuous stay. The process is different depending upon whether your cash room is booked through Member Services or CRO.

I also agree with Kathy that I would just borrow the extra points I needed in this situation, unless I had a compelling reason not to do so.

Personally, I also would borrow for that trip (and worry about the next trip later). Your daughter may emphatically agree once she hears the cash rates for BLT 2 bedroom villas. (It's probably well over $1000 per night plus tax) :teeth:

If you do decide to book a few nights on cash, it will work the best if you do it through Member Services. MS can make the two reservations appear as one continuous reservation to the resort and the DVC housekeeping schedule will apply to your entire stay. Less opportunity for things to get confused. If available, members can get 25% off rack rates if they book through Member Services..

There may be better discounts through DRC/CRO, though. AFAIK, 2018 rates aren't out yet. You'd need to be sure each reservation has a note that indicates the other with a request to stay in the same villa. Remember that there are 3 different booking categories at BLT, and that you would have to make sure that the points and cash reservations were for the same category if you don't want to change rooms during your stay. The category you book for points may not be available for cash, and cash availability for the DVC villas may be slim to none at the time you book the points reservation.

Another option (less expensive than rack rates) is to rent the additional night(s) you need (from another BLT owner or perhaps a broker). The rented reservation would have to be for the same booking category as the reservation you make with your own points. And both those reservations would also have to carry the notes.

Good luck!

Another option is to do a split stay book as many nights as you can in the 2BR at the 11 month mark for the end of your vacation and then at the 7 month mark use the rest of your available points without borrowing and purchase enough one time use points (maximum of 24 per use year) to make up enough points to book two studios for the first day of your vacation, then move to the 2BR on day two.

If you limit your vacation to 6 nights and the studios are booked for the one weekend night, the point cost would be reduced a little for the number of points you use for the 2BR.

At one time I was worried about borrowing and then I decided that it made more sense, as others have said, to just borrow and worry about the next trip when it comes. What has happened over the past few years is that my summer trips which were large ones have been smaller, and because of that, I am not only back where I am not borrowing, but have banked points this year that I have to use!! So, go ahead and save that "cash" for the next time!!

At one time I was worried about borrowing and then I decided that it made more sense, as others have said, to just borrow and worry about the next trip when it comes. What has happened over the past few years is that my summer trips which were large ones have been smaller, and because of that, I am not only back where I am not borrowing, but have banked points this year that I have to use!! So, go ahead and save that "cash" for the next time!!
It essentially always makes more sense to borrow over renting points or paying cash if you can. There are rare exceptions mostly where one has more than one home resort and would be borrowing the more expensive points.

Your daughter may emphatically agree once she hears the cash rates for BLT 2 bedroom villas. (It's probably well over $1000 per night plus tax) :teeth:

Actually the price for a BLT 2BR in july 2017 including tax is:

Standard: $995
Lake View: $1143
Theme Park view:$1238

I bet that the 2018 rates wont be any cheaper :-)

regards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter