1st trip to universal how many days? And where to stay?

cavesrus

Mouseketeer
This will be our first trip to Universal. How many days to enjoy the park and not have to rush to much. Do you stay on your personal property like Disney or is it a big deal? We are big Harry Potter fans my kids are finally old enough to go. and enjoy rides not a huge roller coaster family.

ty aaron.

ps we will be going to Disney either before or after going to your house or do you recommend going to Disney first or universal first? I hope to do Clearwater Florida for a few days and relax after the parks.

When are you going, and are you also hitting Volcano Bay?

I think for the 2 main parks I would do 3 days or more, so as not to feel rushed. Maybe 2 with Express passes.

Especially as HP fans, since there is so much to explore and enjoy in those areas, plus you'll want to take in all the other well done details throughout both parks. Give yourselves time enough not to feel rushed.

2-3 days is enough for me. I did everything plus all the Christmas entertainment in 2.5 days, but no volcano bay. That included a lot of wand waving. Where to stay is a difficult question. If budget is no object Hard Rock. If the budget can stretch enough for one of three hotels that has express pass included I’d say go for it. If not staying onsite isn’t critical. I’ve stayed offsite and walked there and back each day it was about a mile. The offsite hotels did have a shuttle too but this way I could leave when I wanted. Their lower priced resorts are nice though especially if you can get a good deal, but it’s not nearly as critical as at Disney.

A lot of your questions depend on when you are going. If you will be there around a holiday or when an event is happening at Universal, you need more time and your hotel choice matters more.

If you can swing it without worry then, even if it is a slow time, staying at one of the top 3 onsites with included express passes is worth it, Unlike Disney, there is no planning. You just hop into the express pass line whenever you want. There are different types of express passes available but the ones from the hotel are unlimited- which means you can re-ride as much as you want too. They sell a once per ride version too. One night in the Hard Rock, Royal Pacific or Portofino gives you 2 days of EP (check in through check out day) so it's almost always (significantly) cheaper to go with the hotel room vs staying somewhere cheaper and buying express passes. Note that Hagrid's isn't currently taking EPs yet.

I'd probably always pick an onsite even if it isn't one that gives express passes because it's nice to be "in the bubble". Transportation is super easy. You can have purchases sent back to your hotel. All of the resorts are awesome and well run. The early hour into the park is great for Harry Potter fans! Not much is open that first hour but the HP sections are and they are so nice when crowds are low!

I think 3 days for the main parks is good, 4 if you do Volcano Bay. Can probably get by with a day less if you have Express Passes but you'll probably feel rushed.

Do it at after Disney because you won't want to deal with fast passes once you;ve had express passes. ;)

We will prob go end of jan early feb 2021 after Xmas and before vday! No waterpark for us. We don’t evan go to water parks at Disney tbh. Just love Disney magic!

If you stay onsite, especially at the hotels with boat transportation to the parks, you really feel like you're in a separate world (what people call the "bubble"). That is part of the magic of a Universal vacation for me, but others prefer saving money and staying off site but close by.

The best/cheapest way for a family to get express passes is usually staying at the hotels that offer unlimited EP, even just for one night so you get two days worth of EP. But it totally depends on how much you want to spend. You won't really need express passes if you're going after the holiday school break, but they make the trip much more relaxing. Except for the very few rides without express pass (and Hagrid's may have it by the time you go), you don't have to think about what would be a good time of day to ride, you just ride when you feel like it. You can use the quieter early morning hours to explore the Harry Potter areas, do spells if you buy the interactive wands, etc.

The onsite hotel prices per night go down when you stay more nights and the ticket price doesn't go up by very much after the first two days, which is something to consider. For a longer stay, it's a good idea to compare the prices for the different annual passes (just be very careful about block out days, including Mardi Gras concerts).

We will prob go end of jan early feb 2021 after Xmas and before vday! No waterpark for us. We don’t evan go to water parks at Disney tbh. Just love Disney magic!
Things to pay attention to are MLK, President's Day, and Universal's Mardi Gras. Looks like you'll miss those holidays but not totally sure. If you'll overlap with them, go for express passes.

I’ve gone opening weekend for Mardi Gras
and don’t find it with large crowds
Safe time to go if you are tacking in a few days from a January stay

My winter vacations are last week of January thru first weekend of February
Works for me as no packed parks

This will be our first trip to Universal. How many days to enjoy the park and not have to rush to much. Do you stay on your personal property like Disney or is it a big deal? We are big Harry Potter fans my kids are finally old enough to go. and enjoy rides not a huge roller coaster family.

ty aaron.

ps we will be going to Disney either before or after going to your house or do you recommend going to Disney first or universal first? I hope to do Clearwater Florida for a few days and relax after the parks.
I hope I'm not too late. I plan to go too. If you stay on Harry's doorstep (such as Cabana Bay or Portofino Bay) you get early admission to the parks up to an hour before the crowds show. This includes Volcano Bay.
Also, if you HAVE to keep connected to work by checking e-mail or chatting on your phone's webcam, Hermione will wave her wand and ALOHOMORA! Free WiFi!
Does anyone know if this is true? I was told that by staying on Harry's doorstep, you can use your room key to access the pools at ANY of the other Universal owned hotels.
Please reply soon, I have a vacation there next month!

Stay any of the Lowe’s property and pool hop

it’s encouraged

take your room key with you so you can get towels From The pool Attendant at the other pools
Show your hotel room key and attendants will give you towels

I know the newest hotel, Endless Summer, doesn’t allow pool hopping for guests. I’m not sure about Aventura either.

That’s right, Endless Summer only allows their hotel guests for their pool

Usual pattern for the newest hotels to abide by

That’s right, Endless Summer only allows their hotel guests for their pool

Usual pattern for the newest hotels to abide by
I think you have it backwards. According to the website guests of the value hotels may visit the other hotels but they may not access any of the pools nor any of the pool amenities at the Prime Value, Preferred and Premier hotels. Guests of the Prime Value, Preferred and Premier hotels may access the pools of the value hotels. Both Endless summer hotels are value hotels but Aventura is a Prime Value hotel, however there are additional amenities that they also may not access that Guests at Cabana Bay, also a Prime Value hotel can access. There is a chart on the universal website.

I would agree about the 3 days option with the parks themselves. You can cover everything pretty well in 2 days and then that leaves a third day open to hit up your favorites again or catch any shows you might have missed. Plus allows a leisurely pace for the trip. If you plan to do Volcano Bay as well I'd just add another day, maybe 2. (Haven't been myself so not sure how much time to allot).
As for where to stay it depends a bit on budget. If you have the money I'd go for a premier resort to get the fast pass and the prime location. Portifino and Hard Rock would be my top choices. I have stayed at Cabana Bay as well though and it was an amazing hotel at a much cheaper rate, plus right next to Volcano bay for easy access to it.

I think you have it backwards. According to the website guests of the value hotels may visit the other hotels but they may not access any of the pools nor any of the pool amenities at the Prime Value, Preferred and Premier hotels. Guests of the Prime Value, Preferred and Premier hotels may access the pools of the value hotels. Both Endless summer hotels are value hotels but Aventura is a Prime Value hotel, however there are additional amenities that they also may not access that Guests at Cabana Bay, also a Prime Value hotel can access. There is a chart on the universal website.
I was staying at Cabana Bay and tried using the key card at Aventura's pool. They will NOT let you in. But you can eat in the food court at any of Universal's hotels.

I was staying at Cabana Bay and tried using the key card at Aventura's pool. They will NOT let you in. But you can eat in the food court at any of Universal's hotels.
Did an employee say that or just basing it on the key not working? Just curious

In past years when a new hotel opens, pools are restricted to those staying at the hotel.

In time, that policy is dropped and other onsite hotel guests are allowed to pool hop.

I have no knowledge of when starlionblue visited Adventura.

Maybe it was when the restrictions were in place?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter