1st Time Universal/Harry Potter Help Please!

DancinMama

Mouseketeer
We are going to Disney November 5th-10th. We are not doing a Disney park on November 10th if we should go straight from Disney to Universal and do the parks on the 10th and 11th (staying overnight either at Universal or some other hotel).

We're most interested in the Harry Potter and want to make sure to have plenty of time to do everything there is to do with that. We've always gone to the Disney parks right at opening so I'm wondering if we get to Universal after opening, (maybe 10-11am) on the 10th and then had all day on the 11th if that would be enough time to do everything we want to do.

Also, what are the hotel options on Universal property? Do you all suggest staying there for the night? We will have a car so I'm wondering if that would would be our best option to save on parking/time.

Hope this all makes sense. I'm so unfamiliar with Universal but would really like to add this for my Harry Potter loving DS 13 and DD 6

Thanks for the help!
--Shelby

You'll definitely want to stay onsite. You'll get one hour early entry into Harry Potter the following day.

For the full HP experience, you'll need to get park-2-park tickets. It's the only way you'll ride the Hogwarts Express.

Also, given your limited time and how crowded it might get, you'll want to do one of the deluxe hotels that will get you the free Unlimited Express pass. Since you are only staying for one night, you can get Express Pass added to both of your park days free, but only if you stay at one of the deluxe hotels.

That time of the year won't be super busy but 11/11 is a Saturday which is always more busy than a weekday. You should be able to see and do everything you want in both HP areas in one and a half days but not everything outside the HP areas.

If you stay at one of the more expensive Universal hotels 11/10 you can get early entry if it's available and unlimited EPs both days. Parking at the hotel would be added onto your bill as a fee but you get free transportation to/from the parks. If you stay offsite it's at least $20 for parking.

You have to have a two park ticket to ride the Hogwart's Express.

Go to the Universal Orlando Website and there is a map that will give you a good look at the layouts of the parks. Go under the Plan your visit drop down. To the left click on resort maps and download the maps for the parks.

Also there are Wonderful Resort stickies on all the Resorts that will tell you everything you need to know about them. It is under the Universal Resorts & Hotels. One of the ladies (Schumigirl) who is a regular visitor to Universal graciously took the time to pull this information together. It will answer every question you have on the resorts. Have a look. If you have anymore questions come back and someone will jump in and help you.

Last edited:

It also costs for parking at the hotel, FYI ($20 I think). But, SO worth it to stay at a deluxe for early entry and express pass, IMO. Then, you're going to be sad you don't have the same luxury at Disney.

Go to the Universal Orlando Website and there is a map that will give you a good look at the layouts of the parks. Go under the Plan your visit drop down. To the left click on resort maps and download the maps for the parks.

Also there are Wonderful Resort stickies on all the Resorts that will tell you everything you need to know about them. It is under the Universal Resorts & Hotels. Some of the ladies who are regular visitors to Universal graciously took the time to pull this information together. It will answer every question you have on the resorts. Have a look. If you have anymore questions come back and someone will jump in and help you.
Are the stickys you're talking about hear on the DisBoards? I haven't found the Resort one yet. Thanks!

Remember that Express Pass doesn't work on the big Harry Potter rides (Gringott's and Forbidden Journey). For that time of year as it won't be super busy...I'd look at forgoing the Express Pass and maybe stay on one of the less expensive Universal hotels (Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls) and still get early entry into HP land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter