1st Time DVC Trip in October to VWL

bfrosty

Mouseketeer
Any hints, tips or tricks for first timers?

I know that the Timeshare store has a gift waiting for us at their store, but we are using DME for transportation. You know what would be awesome, if they could deliver the gift to the VWL during our stay (Oct. 28th - Nov. 2nd)

That would be AWESOME!!!

Anyhoo....can you request a specific room? when? how? and what rooms to avoid?

I love this board...everyone is so helpful!!!

Thanks all.
Bfrosty

Be in touch!

Hello there. You are in for a treat. I cannot answer the room location question (let me re-phrase, will not answer, sorry, I don't like to feed the "best room" monster:lmao: ). But pretty much all the rooms have a woods view, which is nice.

Tips? Ahhh, bask in the beauty of the lodges (both of them!). Explore all the nooks and crannies at the main lodge. We like to just sit in all the different areas and soak it in. :cloud9: Walk over to FW and do some activities there. Hop on the boat that goes to CR and then get on the monorail and go around the world. Catch the electric water parade at 9:35 pm on the beach in front of the resorts. Get the list of hidden Mickey's from the front desk and try to find them (we have yet to find them all). Arrange a tour with Ranger Stan and try to be the flag family (do this when you check in). Enjoy a breakfast at WCC. Or a dinner at AP. We have never eaten there, but many say it is wonderful. Play checkers in The Iron Spike Room at VWL. We played cards there with friends one night till 3 AM! That was fun.

Others, I'm sure, will join in on the VWL love fest! I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.:thumbsup2

This is my favorite resort. It is the first DVC that I bought. Just take in it's beauty. The boat ride to Magic Kingdom is a great ride all in itself. I love to take in the beauty of Bay lake. We have ate at WCC and it is a lot of fun. We have ate breakfast and dinner there on different trips. They have just remodeled the pool at WL, so it is new. The trees make this resort feel cool even when Flordia is having a heat blaze.

One of our favorite things about the lodge is the music and listening to the crickets chirp at night while watching the lanterns flicker out by the quiet pool. Sounds corny I know but it is part of the atmosphere of the Lodge. Enjoy!!

You'll have a great time at VWL! Here's a partial "to do" list:

• Ask for the list of Hidden Mickeys at Guest Services, and get hunting!
  • Watch Fire Rock Geyser erupt every hour on the hour.
  • Sit in the rocking chairs or one of the comfy chairs in the lobby and watch the world go by.
  • Take a good look at the fireplace, a 2-billion-year geological record of the earth with fossilized remains of prehistoric animal and plant life. Colorful rock strata layers are re-created in the proportions they occur in the Grand Canyon.
  • Spend some time exploring the resort, the paintings and artefacts on display.
  • Take the Wilderness Lodge Tour, to find out lots of interesting facts and see parts of the Lodge you might not normally think to explore.
  • You don't have to sit inside to eat your food from Roaring Forks Snack Bar, take it just outside where you'll find shaded tables to sit at.
  • Dine at Whispering Canyon Cafe for a fun mealtime, but don't whatever you do ask for the ketchup (don't say you weren't warned!).
  • Look out for the portrait artist in the lobby most evening.
  • If you're approaching the Lodge by ferryboat at night, see if you can make out the large bear's face on the Lodge building.
  • Check out the smaller totem pole, featuring some familiar faces, next to Wilderness Lodge Mercantile. You can buy a miniature version inside the shop!
  • Lots of unique souvenirs can be found in Wilderness Lodge Mercantile, especially the Pacific Northwest crafts and themed items on sale.
  • Check out the animal tracks in the cement outside of the Wilderness Lodge.

Ask for the list of Hidden Mickeys at Guest Services, and get hunting!

Watch Fire Rock Geyser erupt every hour on the hour.

Sit in the rocking chairs or one of the comfy chairs in the lobby and watch the world go by.

This will be our 3rd or 4th trip to WL Resort and we have done this...Awesome!

Take a good look at the fireplace, a 2-billion-year geological record of the earth with fossilized remains of prehistoric animal and plant life. Colorful rock strata layers are re-created in the proportions they occur in the Grand Canyon.
Done this...Awesome too!!!

Spend some time exploring the resort, the paintings and artefacts on display.
I caught some last trip...the Arrowheads case on 5th floor was cool...must explore more though.

Take the Wilderness Lodge Tour, to find out lots of interesting facts and see parts of the Lodge you might not normally think to explore.
Great suggestion...This will be on my top ten list.

You don't have to sit inside to eat your food from Roaring Forks Snack Bar, take it just outside where you'll find shaded tables to sit at.
We have done this too....very enjoyable!!!

Dine at Whispering Canyon Cafe for a fun mealtime, but don't whatever you do ask for the ketchup (don't say you weren't warned!).
This place is wild...we did this a second time last Oct....very cool, but you kinda have to be in a good mood...it helps!! =))

Look out for the portrait artist in the lobby most evening.
We noticed him for the first time last October by the Mercantile.

If you're approaching the Lodge by ferryboat at night, see if you can make out the large bear's face on the Lodge building.
We knew that from this board...cool!!!

Check out the smaller totem pole, featuring some familiar faces, next to Wilderness Lodge Mercantile. You can buy a miniature version inside the shop!

Lots of unique souvenirs can be found in Wilderness Lodge Mercantile, especially the Pacific Northwest crafts and themed items on sale.

Check out the animal tracks in the cement outside of the Wilderness Lodge.

I am thrilled to (finally) be staying at VWL for the first time this November! :cloud9:

Thanks for the list!

Kathy

I second what everyone says about the lodge and finding all its nooks and crannies to relax in. I aslo enjoy an early morning walk on the nature trail to the campgrounds. If you're quiet enough you'll see turkey, deer, rabbits, and brazen little squirrel. The campgrounds are a great place to explore as well and I love their mercantile with the FW merchandise. Enjoy the quiet pool by the villas when the main pool gets too crazy (I spend alot of time at the villas pool). On a rainy day, we went to the Iron Spike room and sat by the fireplace and met a couple from NY who live nearby and we chatted for hours. We also rented a Boston Whaler for about an hour and got a different perspective of the Bay Lake - I highly recommend it and I will be doing it again. Let me know if you have can have your gift from the Timeshare Store delivered as I also use ME and have a gift waiting. By the way, as a DVC member you now get $100 of an annual pass. Consider buying one and using it a few times within the year. For example, I will be purchasing mine on Dec 7this year, going back sometime in March or April and then returning right after Thanksgiving to get the best bang for my buck. And with the annual pass you don't feel like you have to run yourself ragged like you do with a Park Hopper. Have a wonderful first of many DVC trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter