1st Disney Cruise-Getting Excited!!

TK Brown

Disney Jedi Master
OK. So its less than a month away and I am dying to go! :banana:Im getting very tired of the cold and snow. Its not supposed to be like this in NC!!!

Anyway, I need info! What not to miss, what to eat (and drink....this is dad's cruise also!!:rotfl2:), what to bring....stuff like that.

DW and I have been on 2 cruises in the past, but thats been well over 10 years ago. DS (5) is excited and im looking for some good tips for him too.

We booked a Cat 11 and got upgraded to a Cat 6.:woohoo: Now that was a great suprise.

C'mom you cruising Dis'ers...let me have it!!!!:cool1:

I recommend the over the door shoe holder that you can get pretty cheaply at Walmart or Target with clear pockets and hooks for hanging on the door. They are great for holding lots of odds and ends (tooth paste, tooth brushes, camera, sun screen, ID cards etc). This way someone can brush their teeth in one half of the split bath while someone else is using the other half.

I liked the wine and martini tastings-lots of fun:cool1: They are an extra fee (around $15) and sold at guest services. I love Palo for dinner and brunch, but not in the same day as you come away stuffed:laughing:

The servers are great about making sure you like what you get. If you want to try something new just let them know and they will bring an extra serving for you to try or replace something that you didn't like.

My kids liked the Mickey 500 where they made a car out of a potato and a carrot and raced them against other kids. Not sure if they still have that. They also had a scavenger hunt for Castaway Cay that my DS and I had fun with (but my DH and DD got bored and went off to snorkle instead).

The shows are great...fun for the whole family.
We loved bingo too but didn't play that on our first cruise.

Match your Mate is an adult show that we always have fun watching while the kids are in the clubs (it is kind of Like the Newlywed Game).

Bring more than one bathing suit as they take a long time to dry.

Start bonine either the night before embarktion or the morning of. The first night has the most motion as you cross the Gulf Steam, but after that it should be pretty smooth.

Oh make sure you check out the thread for your cruise on the cruisemeets board. Nice to chat and compare plans with others going on the same cruise:thumbsup2

Inevitably you will miss something so don't try to cram it all in. It helps to book on board for your next cruise. You get a 10% discount plus shipboard credit and this reservation can be moved if needed and made far enough in advance.

Don't forget the free ice cream on Deck 9. If your DS is being extra good you can grab a cup from the drink station to get even more in the cup. DD was being incredibly good one day and got out of the pool when I asked, posed with all the characters even though it was hot, etc. I grabbed a big cup, handed it to her and told her to go get her ice cream. I wish I had the camera on her face at that moment. It was like she hit the ice cream lottery. :lmao::lmao:

Also, you can order Mickey bars from room service even though they aren't on the menu. They are free just give the delivery person a small tip.
And if you don't see it on the menu, feel free to ask. DD was going through a grape eating stage this past cruise. She would call room service and order a bowl of grapes. And yes, they would deliver a bowl of grapes and her mom's big island cookies. :rolleyes1 Well at least she ate well. :lmao:

I like to go to the pools in the morning. They are less crowded and a lot cleaner. Take one look at the Mickey pool at about 3 in the afternoon. The water is soooo cloudy. :scared:

Bring lots of sun screen and hats for everyone.

Mail a postcard to yourself from CC. Give them a dollar and ask for Bahamian money as your change. Your DS will love the foreign money and will make a great show-and-tell for school.

Unless you absolutely love bingo, stay away. It's very expensive. We knocked our bingo playing down to the snowball one and the Disney give away day. DH always comes back with lots of Disney channel show stuff (bags, lanyards, etc.).

There are lots of tips that are posted through out the message board. If you have something specific you want answered feel free to ask. Otherwise I could type you a journal with things to do. :goodvibes

lot of great things to do on the cruise....but dont go crazy trying to cram it all in save some for the next cruise...:lmao:...relax and enjoy the time onboard with family and new dis friends. :banana:

I know I haven't been yet...:rolleyes: But I have been reading this board for a few months now. :thumbsup2

If your a soda drinker, take a refillable mug with lid to carry around.

You can get a refillable beer mug ($15) & refills are pretty cheap ($4).

Rasul spa &/or couples message for you and DW for some alone time. :love:

Pirates night & fireworks. pirate:

Palo dinner and brunch.

Pillowcases for character signatures. :wizard:

Family ping-pong game.

Find Hidden Mickeys.

...Told you I've been reading...:rolleyes1

I was on the Magic back in December of '09 and I had the time of my life!

Rockin' Bar D was amazing! I was there every night after dinner and it was a blast!

The comedy shows for the adults at the bar are so funny! My brother was picked as a volunteer for a Michael Harrison show!

I highly recommend getting time in at the Rainforest Room

I know some other people have posted to bring sunscreen, but I suppose it can't be stressed enough (I got sun poisoning - on my ankle of all places!)

I didn't do anything for motion sickness, which was a mistake. So definitely take some Dramamine!

Take some time to just walk around the ship and relax. Oh and don't forget your camera!

I know there is a ton to do on the cruise. Im just super excited and cant wait to go. These tips are awesome! I have heard about the beer mug....thats just amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!