1950's style wall tile in bathroom

angierae

DIS Veteran
Is there a budget way of recoloring bathroom tile that's on the walls? My MIL says in their old house they had to pay a ton of money to a company that came in with some sort of chemical thing to strip the top layer off all the tile and then recolor it, but I was wondering if there's a DIY solution that doesn't involve gutting the bathroom and re-doing it?

I hate my bathroom and it's ugly peach tile. :)

Google tile refinishing kit.

There are DIY products out there. One is made by Rustoleum.

Can't comment on how difficult it may be, or the results, as I haven't tried it myself.

There is an epoxy product you can use however, the result is not as pretty as that from a tile refinishing company . My friend did it as a DIY project and her end result was a new color but very dull and there were a few streaks and drips. We had a company do our boy's bathroom-changed from pink to burgundy- and it looked like we had changed all of the tile. it had the nice sheen that ceramic tiles have.

We have a similar tile in a powder room at our home. Previous owners sanded the tile and painted it - primer + two coats. It does look a bit odd because of the pattern of the tiles, however the paint has held up strikingly well - no chips, scratches, etc..

Don't know that it's an ideal fix, but it is inexpensive and effective in comparison to a bathroom redo.

Is there a budget way of recoloring bathroom tile that's on the walls? My MIL says in their old house they had to pay a ton of money to a company that came in with some sort of chemical thing to strip the top layer off all the tile and then recolor it, but I was wondering if there's a DIY solution that doesn't involve gutting the bathroom and re-doing it?

I hate my bathroom and it's ugly peach tile. :)

My dad has that old style Pink tole with black tile accent from the 50-60's. We just changed out fixtures, added Gray accents and towels and it looks quite good, retro and saved lots of $$$. If you can "think outside the box" you may realize that its Ok with some fix its...Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter