18th Birthday Trip…When I’m 20! - December 10-16, 2021 Trip Report at Portofino Bay Hotel!

themeparklover26

Earning My Ears
PRE-TRIP REPORT: T-126 DAYS

I know this pre-trip report is a bit early, but I can’t contain my excitement. After a 2 year delay, my family has finally rebooked our Universal Vacation!!

As my username suggests, I love all things theme parks! Between the rides, food, and theming, theme parks are truly the most magical places on Earth for me (although Disney and Universal are the most magical of them all). Because of my love of theme parks, my parents decided to give me the best gift ever for my 18th birthday: a 10 day trip to Orlando with 4 days at Universal and 4 days at Disney!

As this trip report’s title suggests, my 18th birthday trip didn’t go as planned. Our trip was originally scheduled for September of 2019, but the dastardly hurricane Dorian put a stop to that. We were still able to keep the Disney portion of the trip by moving it back a couple of days (the Disney Dolphin was incredibly flexible with changing dates), but we had to cancel the Universal portion. Luckily, we had booked through Costco travel and they gave us a full refund, so we were able to just reschedule the Universal portion for September of 2020. Well we all know what happened in 2020….

Now that we are all vaccinated and we know a little bit more about COVID, my parents finally felt comfortable enough to reschedule this trip for December 10-16 of 2021. I’ll finally be receiving the second half of 18th birthday present! Only this time, I’ll be 20 :rotfl:

I’ve already done one trip report (our 2019 Disney vacation), but have since lost access to that account so I thought reintroductions of my family were in order!

I’m the one on the left. Aside from obsessing over theme parks and living vicariously through others’ trip reports, my other hobbies include watching sports (go Falcons and Braves!), playing tennis (I play collegiately), reading (Harry Potter is one of my favorite series), and playing video games!

My dad is the one in the middle. His hobbies are similar to mine and include watching sports, reading (sadly he’s not a Harry Potter fan😓), and playing golf (he’s upset we won’t have time for him to play some Orlando courses). He’s not a huge fan of crowds which makes him not a huge fan of theme parks, but since he enjoys thrill rides, I’m hoping he’ll fall in love with Universal!

My mom is the one on the right. She’s an avid tennis player like me and also enjoys playing golf. She’s not a huge theme park fan either, but she does somewhat feel the magic I feel when I walk into Disney, so I’m hoping Universal theming will win her over also!

The last member of our family to be joining us on her first trip to Orlando is everyone’s favorite family member: our dog Happy!

Her hobbies include going on golf cart rides, sleeping, going on walks, and watching tennis balls go by as she just stands there (she’s never quite figured out how to play fetch). She’s 12 years old and when I went to college last year, her health took a bit of a turn and she was diagnosed with nasal cancer. As of now she still acts as if she feels great, though, so fingers crossed her meds continue preventing the tumor from growing! We were hesitant to take trip because we knew we would never forgive ourselves if she passed while we weren’t with her, but luckily Universal hotels allow dogs, so she’ll be able to join us!

I’m going to end this post here since it’s getting pretty long, but I’ll post more details of our trip later today. Welcome to anyone that is following along!!

Last edited:
Never too early for a pre trip Report....... :thumbsup2

What a lovely picture of you and your parents, they look like wonderful people to go on vacation with. And yes, hope your mum and dad fall in love with Universal too.....

I`m looking forward to reading about your trip and your plans........

Never too early for a pre trip Report....... :thumbsup2

What a lovely picture of you and your parents, they look like wonderful people to go on vacation with. And yes, hope your mum and dad fall in love with Universal too.....

I`m looking forward to reading about your trip and your plans........
I feel like a celebrity just responded to me! I’ve spent the last few days reading all of your trip reports and they are magnificent! Thanks for your kind words :)

I feel like a celebrity just responded to me! I’ve spent the last few days reading all of your trip reports and they are magnificent! Thanks for your kind words :)

lol....you made me smile with that 😁

And I`m so glad you enjoyed the trip reports, good to hear, thank you!

December is a great time to go. I spent my 50th birthday at Universal in December of 2017.
Hope you have a wonderful belated birthday trip.
That sounds like a great 50th birthday! We were a bit worried about the temperatures being too low, but we thought that was better than being too high!

PRE-TRIP REPORT: T-126 DAYS (cont.)

Because of a great deal we found through Costco travel, we were able to splurge and stay in Portofino Bay Hotel. For some reason, the deal came with 5 days of park to park to park tickets, but only 5 nights in the hotel, so we’re going to spend our arrival night in a random hotel near Universal. We still haven’t booked that hotel yet, but we have points saved up with a variety of hotel brands from all of the tennis tournaments I traveled to while growing up so we have quite a few choices.

At Portofino Bay, we just booked a standard garden view room. We don’t normally spend a ton of time in the room so we didn’t see any reason to book anything else. We’re just excited for the beautiful theming at the resort, as well as the express passes and early entry.

We plan to spend 4 days between Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure and 1 day at Volcano Bay. We’re hoping to do Volcano Bay on day 3, but considering we’re going in December I think it might just come down to whatever day is forecasted to be the warmest while we’re there. Although the water is heated at Volcano Bay, walking around wet at a park in any weather colder than 70 degrees Fahrenheit isn’t what any of us consider fun :rotfl:

I’m normally an excessive planner who makes incredibly detailed touring plans when it comes to theme parks (I went to the extend of scheduling in bathroom breaks at Disney), but per my parents request and the fact that we have 5 whole days with express passes and early entry I’m not using any touring plans this trip. I have a basic idea of what attractions to do with our early entry, but other than that we’ll just play it by ear. I’ve only been to Universal once about 8 years ago (before Diagon Alley was even built) and my parents have never been so we do have a goal of riding every ride at least once while we’re there. We know this might be our only trip to Universal for quite some time considering I’m a full-time student and my parents both have full-time jobs, so we would like to experience everything at least once. The only other goals I have are to get chosen for Ollivander’s wand choosing (I know I can’t guarantee that, but I promised myself I would try at least twice before going ahead and choosing my own interactive wand to buy), eating at the Three Broomsticks and the Leaky Cauldron, sending postcards to my friends from Hogsmeade, exploring all the secrets the Wizarding World has to offer, riding the aqueduct slide and enjoying the beach pool at PBH, and eating pizza from Sal’s (I’ve heard great things about it from others on this forum). Writing it all out, it seems like a lot, but I’m hoping we’ll still be able to fit it all in!

My parents are planning to make the 7 hour drive to Orlando from our home in Georgia at some point on December 10th, and since my last day of finals in college is December 10th, I’ll fly down that morning from my college in Virginia to meet them. We still haven’t booked the flight for me yet, but the airport in my college town is so small that finding flights are never an issue so there’s so rush to do that.

The only thing still left on my todo list in terms of planning for the trip before I leave for college in September is to call PBH to let them know we’ll have a pet traveling with us and ask them how early on check in day we are allowed to begin parking there. I also still need to order some Harry Potter clothing and Harry Potter postcards (to send my friends from Hogsmeade). The last items on my todo list are to accomplish a personal goal I have to reread the Harry Potter series before I leave (this will be read through #7) and to watch some of the movies featured at Universal such as Men in Black, Fast and Furious, Despicable Me, E.T., and Harry Potter with my parents since they haven’t seen most of them and knowing the premise of the attractions at Universal will hopefully allow them to enjoy them more.

I think that’s all I have for the pre-trip report for now. I’ll post more updates as they come, but hopefully everything goes to plan! Thanks for reading along:goodvibes

My parents are planning to make the 7 hour drive to Orlando from our home in Georgia at some point on December 10th, and since my last day of finals in college is December 10th, I’ll fly down that morning from my college in Virginia to meet them. We still haven’t booked the flight for me yet, but the airport in my college town is so small that finding flights are never an issue so there’s so rush to do that.
I grew up in Georgia and now live in Virginia. Small world.

I grew up in Georgia and now live in Virginia. Small world.
Wow it is a small world! I’ve loved living in both, but am still partial to GA considering this is where I grew up. Living in both places, though, has made me realize how much I love the East Coast.

I grew up in Marietta, but moved away in 1997. I still visit though because my brother and sister still live in GA.

I grew up in Marietta, but moved away in 1997. I still visit though because my brother and sister still live in GA.
Wow it really is a small world! I lived in Marietta for the majority of my life before moving right over the border to Kennesaw (5 mins away from my old house) right before college!

Sounds like you have a great plan! 5 days is a great amount of time to get everything done you want to get done, especially with Express Pass. The great thing about Universal is that you don't have to plan bathroom breaks! Thanks for the PTR, I'm excited to read the rest as you get closer to your trip!

Sounds like you have a great plan! 5 days is a great amount of time to get everything done you want to get done, especially with Express Pass. The great thing about Universal is that you don't have to plan bathroom breaks! Thanks for the PTR, I'm excited to read the rest as you get closer to your trip!
Thank you! It’s reassuring to have someone else tell me we should be able to accomplish everything we want to!! I was beginning to feel a little worried after I started listing everything😅

Checking into Cabana Bay tomorrow! Thanks for reminding me I love Sals Pizza and Deli…and Voodoo Donuts and TODAY Cafe
You will have so much fun for the holidays…be sure to make an appointment online to have your picture taken with the Grinch
(Seuss All You Can Read Library December 2020)
0DC6023B-576C-45F6-A619-F69E0362D1AF.png62F8DAF1-7DA6-4B9E-9829-D8AB035AFD38.png

Last edited:
Seems like there is another trip report for holiday planning… I love Universal for every single holiday. This trip will be for my sons bday holiday! Already thinking about trying the chocolate cake at the Hard Rock! The best meal on property last Xmas Day was the Kitchen at the Hard Rock… great buffet and a discount with AP (AAA) . So much cheaper and Better than any $$ meal$$ at Disney. Great service too!
I know Harry Potter official postcards are sold and HP stamps but I will try to remember to look for you. Also if they “ postmark” them still on property. (I collect postcards) …

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter