• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

145 Middle Schoolers: Wicked Awesome or Epic Fail???DeParting-Such Sweet Sorrow p. 76

On our way to the park that morning, I discussed possible lunch options with one of the other chaperones. As you all know, the counter service options at HS are, well, lacking. Although I had never eaten there, I just recently learned from the DIS that Starring Rolls offered premade sushi as an option for a meal, and that intrigued me. Plus I figured that the huge sandwiches and ginormous, decadent cupcakes would be really tempting to the teens.

But the woman I was talking to pointed out that the place was very small and the selections there were limited, so this would not be a great place for our group.

So now that it was time for lunch, we were still stuck for a place to eat. We were very close to the Backlot Express, so that was the choice.

Then, :idea:, an idea popped into my head.

Why don’t I run over to Tower of Terror to get FP for later, and I’ll meet everyone at Pixar Place at 1:00 to ride Toy Story?

I handed everyone their lunch vouchers and I flew out of there at warp speed!

My lunch was going to be solo after Solo! Ok, Han Solo is not really in the Star Tours show, but he SHOULD be!

I would be making it to Starring Rolls after all!

When I arrived at the restaurant, I realized my friend was right.

The place was small! There were about 15 people in line ahead of me. This totally wouldn’t have worked for our group.

Then one of the counter CMs announced. “We ran out of sandwiches- it is going to be about 15 minutes”

A groan went through the crowd, but I piped up

“Do you still have sushi?”

“Yes!” she replied.

Guess who moved up to the front of the line!

P1110106.jpg

Then I had to choose a dessert. They had what looked like a limited selection of cupcakes. There was a yummy looking chocolate Dark Side cupcake to celebrate Star Wars Weekend, but to be honest, I am not really a huge fan of cupcakes, so I selected a fruit tart.

P1110105.jpg

I didn’t want to take up one of the tables all by myself, so I found a little corner to sit in and enjoy my alone-ness! I was so happy that I asked someone to snap a picture of my solo lunch.

“Im-in-a-group-with-14-teenage-boys-and-I-escaped-and-I’m-eating-all-alone. Will-you-please-take-my-picture?”

The guy and his family were amused by my story.

P1110114.jpg

P1110111.jpg

P1110113.jpg

After my lunch nirvana, I got the FPs for Tower of Terror, with a return time of 3:30 to 4:30.

I encountered a Photopass Photographer on the way to meet up with my group, so I had a couple of pictures taken. I pre-purchased a Photopass CD for our group before the trip ($99), so I encouraged everyone to take as many pictures as possible throughout the trip.

Photo0086FourBySix.jpg

Photo0090FourBySix.jpg

I used the picture below to send to the Yacht & Beach Club Dis Meet, which was on Sunday, so Flat Dee could attend.

Photo0087FourBySix.jpg

DisMeet2012.jpg

At 1:00, I met up with most of the members of my group. The 2 chaperones and 2 boys who had lingered at Tatoonie Traders were still at lunch and they would be along soon.

********************************************************************************************

For my next update-

What is a trip report without a little romance???

Wait! What? Isn’t your husband back at home?

The title of my next chapter is inspired by a best-selling series of novels- stay tuned for a little love in the afternoon-

Next up: 50 Shades of Green

Last edited:
I am glad you got some alone time. It is amazing how just a little bit can be very recharging!!

The sushi looked good. I was excited to find it at Hurricane Hannah's when we were there!

That fruit tart looks YUMMY! I want one for breakfast with my coffee. :coffee:

Next up: 50 Shades of Green[/SIZE]

Ok....Now I'm scared :scared1: Will it be revenge of the rides or revenge of the lunch?? :scared:

I love Starring Rolls....it has become a "must-do" for me for every trip! I love the red velvet cupcakes!! and the eclairs!!

Yay!!! you got want you wanted after all. Great idea!!!:thumbsup2
And ALONE time that must have been nice.
Sushi has become my lunch of choice in the "world" more and more places have it I guess. That fruit tart looked good. I would have chose that over the chocolate cupcakes too.

Yay for getting the lunch you wanted to begin with-but, wait-NO BUTTERFINGER CUPCAKE??

Cute PP pics of you in front of ToT. And, I love Flat Dee at the Y&B Club meet! :)

I am glad you got some alone time. It is amazing how just a little bit can be very recharging!!

The sushi looked good. I was excited to find it at Hurricane Hannah's when we were there!

I :love: alone time. Even when I am vacationing with my own family, I find some solo time can be very restorative!!!

It was good sushi. I'm mostly accustomed to grocery store sushi, I have only had it from really good restaurants a few times, so it definitely sufficed for me. It is a nice change from fried food or sandwiches. I have found the prepackaged sushi at Sunshine Seasons and the Japanese CS place. I know they have it at The BC Marketplace as well. I didn't know about HH's though.

That fruit tart looks YUMMY! I want one for breakfast with my coffee. :coffee:

The fruit tart was delicious. Nice and light too. It definitely hit the spot!

Ok....Now I'm scared :scared1: Will it be revenge of the rides or revenge of the lunch?? :scared:

I love Starring Rolls....it has become a "must-do" for me for every trip! I love the red velvet cupcakes!! and the eclairs!!

There might have been some of that and it is actually a double meaning for the title, but I promised you some :love2: and I won't disappoint!

First time I have really been to Starring Rolls, but I would be game to get lunch there again. If I can convince the guys to skip Sci Fi. There really was a great selection of bakery items. Mmmmmm!

Yay!!! you got want you wanted after all. Great idea!!!:thumbsup2
And ALONE time that must have been nice.
Sushi has become my lunch of choice in the "world" more and more places have it I guess. That fruit tart looked good. I would have chose that over the chocolate cupcakes too.

Don't I look happy in that picture!!!

::yes::

I was very satisfied with my lunch.

Yay for getting the lunch you wanted to begin with-but, wait-NO BUTTERFINGER CUPCAKE??

Cute PP pics of you in front of ToT. And, I love Flat Dee at the Y&B Club meet! :)

I know- I thought about getting a cupcake since that is really what Starring Rolls is known for, but I was afraid it would be too sweet and heavy. That is probably something I would prefer to share with someone. But there was NO ONE else with me. :goodvibes

Flat Dee has made it to the 3 Yacht & Beach Club DIS meets. Someday, real Dee will make it there!

:rotfl2:
Thanks for reminding me of that TR. Too funny! And it's nice to know I'm not the only crazy one! :lmao:

I can't believe you managed to snag yummy lunch. Alone. With NO teenagers. Another example of your brilliance!
Love the Photopass pics! Very cute!!!

Amanda

Love the flat Dee for the Dis-meet. It's good to see Teena in the group shot. :goodvibes

Ahhhh to dine al fresco - with no teens! Your moment was well deserved. :thumbsup2 The tart looks especially delicious!

:rotfl2:
Thanks for reminding me of that TR. Too funny! And it's nice to know I'm not the only crazy one! :lmao:

I can't believe you managed to snag yummy lunch. Alone. With NO teenagers. Another example of your brilliance!
Love the Photopass pics! Very cute!!!

Amanda

I actually reposted those two sections of the TR on the FAQ thread- someone was asking for reveiws of the Albatross Cruise, and your review is one of the resources I have- hope that is ok, but if not, let me know.

Lunch was great!!! I really wanted to try Starring Rolls, but there was no way it would have worked with everybody. So this was perfect.

Love the flat Dee for the Dis-meet. It's good to see Teena in the group shot. :goodvibes

Ahhhh to dine al fresco - with no teens! Your moment was well deserved. :thumbsup2 The tart looks especially delicious!

I really wish I could have been there with everyone. You know, I have actually only met Teena in person during our first trip to the Beach Club in 2009, but we have become such good friends.

I loved my little lunch corner. It was out of the way. The bakery from Starring Rolls was right above me, so I could peek in and watch them making some yummy treats. The tart was very good. I'm happy with my choice!

I love how you got away for a little "me" time. You really lucked out at Starring Rolls. That is normally our breakfast spot.

Love the pics!

“Im-in-a-group-with-14-teenage-boys-and-I-escaped-and-I’m-eating-all-alone. Will-you-please-take-my-picture?”

P1110114.jpg

Dad....Look at the lady sitting over there in the corner. Is she OK?

Reminds me of Vic's story..... She escapes quite often. They're on the way to get her now.:rotfl:

natebenma said:

I love it!!! Starring Rolls is great, but teeny! I'm going to need to remember that sushi, how was it?

On our way to the park that morning, I discussed possible lunch options with one of the other chaperones. As you all know, the counter service options at HS are, well, lacking. Although I had never eaten there, I just recently learned from the DIS that Starring Rolls offered premade sushi as an option for a meal, and that intrigued me. Plus I figured that the huge sandwiches and ginormous, decadent cupcakes would be really tempting to the teens.

But the woman I was talking to pointed out that the place was very small and the selections there were limited, so this would not be a great place for our group.

So now that it was time for lunch, we were still stuck for a place to eat. We were very close to the Backlot Express, so that was the choice.

Then, :idea:, an idea popped into my head.

Why don’t I run over to Tower of Terror to get FP for later, and I’ll meet everyone at Pixar Place at 1:00 to ride Toy Story?

I handed everyone their lunch vouchers and I flew out of there at warp speed!

My lunch was going to be solo after Solo! Ok, Han Solo is not really in the Star Tours show, but he SHOULD be!

I would be making it to Starring Rolls after all!

When I arrived at the restaurant, I realized my friend was right.

The place was small! There were about 15 people in line ahead of me. This totally wouldn’t have worked for our group.

Then one of the counter CMs announced. “We ran out of sandwiches- it is going to be about 15 minutes”

A groan went through the crowd, but I piped up

“Do you still have sushi?”

“Yes!” she replied.

Guess who moved up to the front of the line!

P1110106.jpg

Then I had to choose a dessert. They had what looked like a limited selection of cupcakes. There was a yummy looking chocolate Dark Side cupcake to celebrate Star Wars Weekend, but to be honest, I am not really a huge fan of cupcakes, so I selected a fruit tart.

P1110105.jpg

I didn’t want to take up one of the tables all by myself, so I found a little corner to sit in and enjoy my alone-ness! I was so happy that I asked someone to snap a picture of my solo lunch.

P1110114.jpg

P1110111.jpg

P1110113.jpg

After my lunch nirvana, I got the FPs for Tower of Terror, with a return time of 3:30 to 4:30.

I encountered a Photopass Photographer on the way to meet up with my group, so I had a couple of pictures taken. I pre-purchased a Photopass CD for our group before the trip ($99), so I encouraged everyone to take as many pictures as possible throughout the trip.

Photo0086FourBySix.jpg

Photo0090FourBySix.jpg

I used the picture below to send to the Yacht & Beach Club Dis Meet, which was on Sunday, so Flat Dee could attend.

Photo0087FourBySix.jpg

DisMeet2012.jpg

At 1:00, I met up with most of the members of my group. The 2 chaperones and 2 boys who had lingered at Tatoonie Traders were still at lunch and they would be along soon.

********************************************************************************************

For my next update-

What is a trip report without a little romance???

Wait! What? Isn’t your husband back at home?

The title of my next chapter is inspired by a best-selling series of novels- stay tuned for a little love in the afternoon-

Next up: 50 Shades of Green

I'm not a huge icing fan so most of the cupcakes around WDW are not my thing and I don't do cooked fruit but that tart did look yummy. Great choice. I don't take great pictures but my ToT photopass 'look at me I'm scared' photos is one of my favorites. You got to love the chance to take a fun photo.

I love how you got away for a little "me" time. You really lucked out at Starring Rolls. That is normally our breakfast spot.

Love the pics!

I did see a few of the breakfast items on display.

I'm so glad I had some time where I wasn't worried about anyone else. It was wonderful!

Dad....Look at the lady sitting over there in the corner. Is she OK?

Reminds me of Vic's story..... She escapes quite often. They're on the way to get her now.:rotfl:

:lmao:

I don't think I would have objected if "they" came to take me away. Although I did have TSM, RnR and ToT FP in my pocket and I would have hated to waste those.

I love it!!! Starring Rolls is great, but teeny! I'm going to need to remember that sushi, how was it?

Hey! Go back to enjoying yourself!

The sushi was fine. Nothing outstanding, but pretty comparable to the made-in-store grocery store sushi I usually get. It was a nice, light, cool lunch.

Still want to try the sandwiches someday, but they look so large that I think I could split one.

I'm not a huge icing fan so most of the cupcakes around WDW are not my thing and I don't do cooked fruit but that tart did look yummy. Great choice. I don't take great pictures but my ToT photopass 'look at me I'm scared' photos is one of my favorites. You got to love the chance to take a fun photo.

I was afraid the cupcakes would be too sweet and heavy. The tart was awesome! The fruit was fresh, not cooked, so it may have worked for you.

I'm pretty happy with the "I'm scared photo"

I like the others too, even though my hair is a mess from earlier encounters with ToT, RnR and rain.

I fell off the trip report band wagon.....

I kept thinking to myself "Why hasn't she added updates? She must be REALLY busy with summer stuff. I'll bet she keeps running off to the beach 'cause I KNOW she ain't at work!"

Here I missed the 'changing of the titles' in your signature. :confused3

Well enough with all that. My brain is plugged in and I am all caught up.

I get the biggest kick out of listening to the screams coming from the TOT. I also am in love with Starring rolls!! :love:

I can't wait for the next tawdry installment of fifty shades green...

~NM

Good for you orchestrating a bit of alone time! Even just 10-15 minutes can help you get your mental well-being back! Last trip we hit Starring Rolls for a snack. Split a cupcake three ways and was all we needed of the delicious sweetness.

I fell off the trip report band wagon.....

I kept thinking to myself "Why hasn't she added updates? She must be REALLY busy with summer stuff. I'll bet she keeps running off to the beach 'cause I KNOW she ain't at work!"

Here I missed the 'changing of the titles' in your signature. :confused3

Well enough with all that. My brain is plugged in and I am all caught up.

I get the biggest kick out of listening to the screams coming from the TOT. I also am in love with Starring rolls!! :love:

I can't wait for the next tawdry installment of fifty shades green...

~NM

I wondered where you were! But then I figured maybe she is still reading and commenting but the posts are so Ninja I can't see 'em!

The screams from ToT were great, but I was really fascinated by the windows. First one would be open. Then two. Then none. Then three. And I was taking pictures of every combination. I think normally I am rushing from one place to another but since we stayed in this area for several minutes while the boys worked in their notebooks, I had time to just watch.

Good for you orchestrating a bit of alone time! Even just 10-15 minutes can help you get your mental well-being back! Last trip we hit Starring Rolls for a snack. Split a cupcake three ways and was all we needed of the delicious sweetness.

It was really nice getting away for a few! I love the freedom of being able to walk at my own pace (which is fairly quickly).

I could definitely see splitting one of the ginormous Butterfinger cupcakes or other monstrosities between 3-4 people. It never occured to me, until this very moment, that I probably could have purchased one and brought it back for a few boys to sample. Oh, well.

I have wanted to eat lunch at Starring Rolls on several occasions, but my group always vetoes it or burgers. Good for you for doing a solo lunch. Please I had no idea they had sushi there. Wow. :thumbsup2 A big thumbs up to that one. Sushi and a fruit tart sounds amazing, although I have to admit that those star wars cupcakes look pretty cool! :thumbsup2

Nothing like a little alone time. It is great! I have never had sushi yet, but I am hoping to give it a try in the future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter