144 hours transit visa question

Karin1984

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

For those of you who used the 144 hours transit visa to get into Shanghai and Disneyland, and travelled with more than 1 person. Who of you contacted their hotel (Disney or non-Disney) to put the names of all members in the travel party on the confirmation?

I just read a trip report of TDR Explorer from February:
http://tdrexplorer.com/shanghai-disneyland-winter-trip-report-part-one-arriving-in-shanghai/
If someone in your group is looking at the transit visa (or applying for a visa in their home country), then everything you book in Mainland China must have your name on it, which includes your flights and hotel reservation. When you book your hotel online at Shanghai Disneyland, you’re only able to put down one name.

Immigration needs to see everyone’s name on that list if you’re doing the transit visa or when you’re applying for the visa ahead of time.

After you make your reservation online, call Shanghai Disney Resort and ask them to put everyone’s name on the reservation and re-send you the confirmation by email (they will only send it to the email associated with the booking). When I phoned, the Cast Member was helpful when I said I needed everyone’s name on the confirmation email. He said, “Ah, you are applying for the Chinese visa, right?” So they know this is a normal occurrence. Use Skype Credits to make the call, if possible.

In not one of the trip reports here I have read about this. Is this only when applying for a regular visa for China? TDR Explorer says it's also for the 144 transit visa.

*Confused*

In not one of the trip reports here I have read about this. Is this only when applying for a regular visa for China? TDR Explorer says it's also for the 144 transit visa.

I know you're specifically asking for anyone who travelled with the 144 transit visa but I thought I'd respond anyway.

I did mention this requirement about getting my mother's name on the SDL reservation; albeit rather briefly, somewhere in the PTR section. I may not have explicitly called it out but that would have been because the visa application events were unfolding during the time of writing the PTR. I think it may have been under the Shanghai Disneyland section in the PTR. I may have said that I had to call Disney multiple times and one of them being to update the room reservation details to include my mother's name. And yes, I did call SDL when I realised her name was not on the reservation. The CM I spoke to asked me immediately if it was for visa purposes. So, I guess they know about it.
I think some of the other Aussies may have even commented on this as they were also applying for visas.

Also, for the other hotels. I didn't have to call my non-Disney hotel in Shanghai because the reservation had listed both names. And Hong Kong Disneyland had listed my mother's name as well (not that we needed it for Hong Kong).

FWIW - The person that processed my application in Melbourne DID check all my paperwork. They didn't look at the HK reservations but they certainly looked at every other reservation and checked the names against the passports.

In response to your question. I applied for a regular visa and I don't know if having all names on the reservation is only for a regular visa. However, it doesn't hurt to have all the paperwork include the names of everyone staying in the room or going to China. Afterall, a 144-hour transit visa is still a visa.

And particularly with a 144-hour visa....you don't want to be refused entry at the port because of paperwork.

I used the 144 hour visa in April 2017.

My husband made the hotel booking (Toy Story Hotel) and he contacted the hotel to have my name added to the reservation after I read that same Trip Report and became concerned. They slightly misunderstood the request and ended up changing the booking to my name, but he was still included as a secondary name.

However, I can't advise whether it was necessary or not. The officer who processed our visa application was ... less than welcoming / polite. From memory, I don't even think he looked at the hotel reservation print-out when I handed it over and dismissively put it to one side and then I had to ask for it to be returned as he seemingly forgot about it.

But, it's probably best to have it just in case. The 144 hour visa still seems to be a bit of an unknown / uncertainty (e.g. the signs in the airport are confusing), so I would try to have as much information as possible.

Thanks you two! :)
I'd probably missed it as I read you had a regular visa, and skipped all the things associated with it.

also been looking into using this VISA but so scared it will give me issues enetering the country...

Entering China was no problem at all! It takes some time for it to be processed. We had no one in line in front of us and it took them about 15 minutes to get both of us dealt with. They take photocopies of your onward flight ticket. No one wanted to see our hotel reservation.

One info: On the plane you get a landing card to fill out. This has two parts: the arrival and the departure part. We did not need the arrival part since we had to fill out a different form that we were given by the Chinese immigration officer. BUT when went through passport control when leaving Shanghai, we needed the departure part of that card. We did not have it and that was not a big problem at all. They have stations in that area with forms for you to fill out there. However, it had been easier if we had just kept that part and had it ready.

Thats good to know cause I'm belgian and we require a VISA for China... thats visa is already over 200 USD but worst is I need to go all the way to Brussels (our capital) TWICE: once to enter the application and once to pick it up... not only the travel is a hassle but also waisting 2 vacation days just to obtain VISA... they do have a mailing service to send it back but it's ridiculously expensive (like 80 dollars) but application for visa always needs to be done in person :-(

Last edited:
Thats good to know cause I'm belgian and we require a VISA for China... thats visa is already over 200 USD but worst is I need to go all the way to Brussels (our capital) TWICE: once that enter the application and once to pick it up... not only the travel is a hassle but also waisting 2 vacation days just to obtain VISA... they do have a mailing service to send it back but it's ridiculously expensive (like 80 dollars) but application for visa always needs to be done in person :-(

That is exactly why we don't stay longer in Shanghai, the cost and the hassle of getting the visa. We will stay under the 144 hours to make it as easy as we can.

But... Belgium is one of the 24 Shengen countries who can use the 144 hours visa free period. Where did you get the information it is not applicable for you? Or will you be travelling around?

I go to HKDL all the time (like 4 times a year) but still haven't been to Shanghai cause of the visa issues haha but this is quite reassuring!

We had no problem with the 144 Hour Transit Visa (other than it took about 20-30 minutes because they didn't staff it for the demand).

I'm a retired airline employee so flying non-rev out of China was not an option, so I bought tickets on Delta back to Tokyo (Narita). I produced the boarding passes along with Novotel Clover Hotel (first subway stop near park) information and passports for our family of 4 (kids 14 & 12). I also filled out the yellow immigration cards handed out on the flight; however, we needed to use blue cards for 144 hour transit visa entry. I kept my yellow cards and used them when we left the country 4 days later. I don't believe the agents were very interested with the hotel information either; however, they copied and looked over the Delta boarding passes. Also, I was informed when I booked the hotel, that they would take care of registering us with the authorities. Just keep in mind that you'll have to provide the name, address and phone number (maybe) on the blue immigration card.

The process once we reached the immigration agent couldn't have been easier. Remember, a valid passport, hotel information & proof of leaving the country within 144 hours (to those eligible countries) and your good to go.

NOTE: The outgoing airline gate agent will also check the paperwork so you may want to have an abbreviated copy of 144 hour transit visa requirements, for educational purposes.

NOTE: As I booked our hotel with booking.com, I used their translation service and took a copy in Chinese for taxi driver or others.

NOTE: We schlepped our six bags on the subway as we took the Maglev from the airport. It was a bucket list item so I was willing to put up with any issues. I strongly recommend riding the Maglev, but maybe without bags as they have x-ray machines at their subway stations (we had to back track on Lines 16 & 11) to get back to our hotel near the Shanghai Disneyland Resort.

I am going to see my son in Tokyo and can get flight with 18 hour layover in Beijing then continue on to Tokyo then i will return to Beijing 10 days later on way back to the states does anyone know if i can stop off visit city then go on to Tokyo would only stay in airport on way back have short layover so i would stay at airport .Can i do a transit visa on the way over or is it not possible as im at the airport twice on way over and return . Its very complicated .

I am going to see my son in Tokyo and can get flight with 18 hour layover in Beijing then continue on to Tokyo then i will return to Beijing 10 days later on way back to the states does anyone know if i can stop off visit city then go on to Tokyo would only stay in airport on way back have short layover so i would stay at airport .Can i do a transit visa on the way over or is it not possible as im at the airport twice on way over and return . Its very complicated .

It is not as complicated as you might think. Google 'China' in combination with 'transit visa'. You will find 2 kinds of transit visa for international passengers. 72 and 144 hour.

When you look up 144 hours, you will read that the city of Beijing is not part of these regulations, so everything to do regarding a 144 hour stay you can skip.

You only have to look up the regulations regarding the 72 hour transit visa. Depending on your nationality (I presume US citizen?) you can stay in Beijing for 3 days, as long as you do not leave the area of Beijing. As far as I can check the 72 hour transit visa has no regulations regarding continuing to another country like the 144 hour transit visa has.

In case of doubt when it comes to visa always check with your embassy. As the internet isn't always the most reliable source of information and depending on things like nationality or in certain countries the places you have visited before entering rules might be different. When, for example, I travel to the US, i have to fill in which countries I have visited before the trip.

It is not as complicated as you might think. Google 'China' in combination with 'transit visa'. You will find 2 kinds of transit visa for international passengers. 72 and 144 hour.

When you look up 144 hours, you will read that the city of Beijing is not part of these regulations, so everything to do regarding a 144 hour stay you can skip.

You only have to look up the regulations regarding the 72 hour transit visa. Depending on your nationality (I presume US citizen?) you can stay in Beijing for 3 days, as long as you do not leave the area of Beijing. As far as I can check the 72 hour transit visa has no regulations regarding continuing to another country like the 144 hour transit visa has.

In case of doubt when it comes to visa always check with your embassy. As the internet isn't always the most reliable source of information and depending on things like nationality or in certain countries the places you have visited before entering rules might be different. When, for example, I travel to the US, i have to fill in which countries I have visited before the trip.
Thank you i just read i can stay 24 hours without any visa they just stamp passport now i am checking flights to find one that arrives in the morning but all seem to arrive late afternoon so may get flight some other way as i was hoping to arrive early morning to do the wall then leave but i dont want to sit in airport overnight . Very cheap flight from New york but not worth it if i just sit there i have done that from Europe last year and it was to boring .

I live at the border of Belgium and Holland and the Amsterdam airport is not that much further from my home as the Brussels airport..
I wonder if the following would work to be considered a transitvisum:
Brussels-Shanghai, Shanghai-Amsterdam
Or do all European Union countries count as one?

I live at the border of Belgium and Holland and the Amsterdam airport is not that much further from my home as the Brussels airport..
I wonder if the following would work to be considered a transitvisum:
Brussels-Shanghai, Shanghai-Amsterdam
Or do all European Union countries count as one?

Another DIS-er close by :) Belgium and the Netherlands are 2 separate countries, can't imagine that they look at the continent.

This massive thread on a forum for frequent flyers was the best ressource that I found: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chi...it-without-visa-twov-rules-master-thread.html

There they say that this is allowed under Chinese rules. But there always seem to be some check in agents who give you a lot of trouble. The exemption's workind does not stipulate that the transfer needs to make sense, but some seem to think that it was evading the rules and therefore don't let people fly. It would be indeed a bit strange if one wanted to travel from Amsterdam to Brussels via Shanghai.

One way around this issue: If you book a flight to Shanhai that connects in another country. For example on the way there choose a flight that connects in Hong Kong and then on the way back take a direct flight.

From reading the thread that I linked to above, I got the impression that the Chinese really are very relaxed, it is the airport personel in Europe and America that is the biggest problem...

the HK doesn't make sense to me... I go to HK like 5 times a year and the flight with a decent airline from HK to Shanghai is like over half the price of what I pay for a return to HK from home... also the flighttime is like close to 6h.
Tokyo would make sense timewise but same issue with the price of a single flight with ANA between the two...

the HK doesn't make sense to me... I go to HK like 5 times a year and the flight with a decent airline from HK to Shanghai is like over half the price of what I pay for a return to HK from home... also the flighttime is like close to 6h.
Tokyo would make sense timewise but same issue with the price of a single flight with ANA between the two...

I used miles for our one-way flight from Shanhai to Tokyo and I think it was 20.000 miles. And if you go through Tokyo you can even visit Tokyo Disneyland as a bonus! But as I said, theoretically your plan will work. You just need to be prepared to fight at the airport so that they let you onto the plane. Personally, I would not want to risk it. But I am someone who tends to worry a lot about what could happen.

Chipmunkmaniac, in reading the procedures again, it looks like you could return to AMS or BRU with a connection stopping in any country (i.e. Korea, Russia, UAE, etc.) other than the one you arrived from. You'll probably have to book two one-way tickets (non-stop/thru to PVG then thru/non-stop for the return). I don't know why you couldn't even depart and arrive at the same airport as long as you make a connection on either leg (i.e. SEA-PVG then PVG-NRT-SEA). You'll just have to book them using separate airlines as I don't think you'll find any airline with 5th freedom rights (except for DL in my example).

Also, there are 6 airlines serving HKG-PVG market that offer approx. 40 flights a day. There are well known Full Service airlines to relatively new Low Cost Carriers that have one or two flights a day. That market looked to be about $100US lower than PVG-TYO, as it's all dependent on the day of travel (isn't it always).

As stated before, you'll have to get past the originating gate agent with all of the documentation as they don't want to be responsible for you not obtaining entry into China.

Good Luck.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!