14 days - 2 weeks - and I'm "Home" again!

mamabunny

DIS Veteran
The hubs (who has been my best boyfriend for the last 32 years) gifted our daughter and I with another "girls only" trip for Christmas - 10 days at WL! He wanted to save it for Christmas morning, but was worried that we wouldn't be able to make any ADRs or FPs, so he "gave" it to us early!

Well, as some of you may remember, last January I had an accident, and broke multiple bones on the right side of my body. Literally shoulder to toes, I was a mess. We had to cancel our planned trip while I was still in the ER; we had been set to depart in just a few days. I was so upset that night, because in many ways, Disney is my respite. It's the place where I don't have pain, I don't have worries or concerns... I just have fun, and good food, and so many happy memories from the past, and so many still to make in the future!

So, 2018 started off rough - and then we had to cut our September WDW "make up" trip short and rush home when my FIL had a stroke. Since September, I have been taking care of my FIL (who we all affectionately call "Pops") while he recovers. Luckily, he's doing great, and has been pushing me to "finish" my September trip. I have worked so hard this year to push through rehab and make sure that everything healed properly, and while I still have some residual pain, I'm actually in a much better place than anyone - my family, my doctors, my physical therapist - thought I would be now, so I'm happy. And my FIL is doing so much better than anyone thought *he* would as well, which makes my heart very happy. He has been my dad since the day I married his oldest boy, more than 30 years ago, and when my own father died just a few years after we were married, he stepped up even more. I still miss my own dad every day, but I love Pops too, just like he was my own, and he treats me just like one of his own kids.

Obvs, I will try to take pictures and measurements of the room - although I understand from the folks over on the WL boards that the "hotel side" of the Lodge building will be undergoing renovation sometime starting in 2019. If WL is like most of the other renos we have seen at WDW, the HA rooms won't change location or amenities, although there is a *strong* rumor that we may lose the bunk beds. (I for one am glad, and will be happy to see 2Q HARIS rooms at WL!) One interesting fact about WL - when it was built, it was designed to be a Moderate, so the rooms are virtually identical in square footage to those at POR/POFQ! It has the smallest rooms of any Deluxe at WDW (the bathrooms are laid out differently, however, due to interior hallways and room doors)

So, 2 weeks, and I will again wake up in the morning to the sound of the boat horns as they come around to the docks at the Lodge. I will be able to sit outside, and look at the Otter Pond, and at night, we will go down to the lake to watch the EWP sail by, and drink adult beverages, and be very, very grateful that we are "home" again for a while!

That is AWESOME!!! I will look forward to your trip reports! Enjoy all the planning - you leave soon!! :santa::flower1:

I am so happy to hear that. I was just thinking about asking how you and your FIL were both doing. It's been good to have you back on the boards recently. I fell and broke my collarbone last February. It was painful (especially trying to get up from a chair or toilet), but yours was so much worse.

I have fallen so many, many times in the past 2 years that it is crazy. Once at the doctor's where I split a lip and had to get 7 stitches in my lip. But other than that and the broken collarbone I fortunately have not been injured (except my pride). I'm getting an Apple watch 4 for Christmas which has a fall alert and can make a phone call.

We are taking a break from WDW (had to pay for the new van, chair, lift, etc.), but it gives me something to look forward to next year. Not sure whether we are going to go pre-Christmas or early January 2020. I love the Christmas decorations, but I have seen them many, many times.

I just enjoy being at WDW. It's not all about the rides for me anymore. We own at SSR which happens to be our favorite resort. Fortunately for us it's probably the least popular DVC resort so availability is usually pretty good. I love being able to roam around the resort and then over the Disney Springs.

May you have a most magical trip! Merry Christmas!

Awww. Yay! I'm so happy for you! Two weeks. Wow. I hope you DO still have time to make fastpass reservations and all that good stuff.

That is AWESOME!!! I will look forward to your trip reports! Enjoy all the planning - you leave soon!! :santa::flower1:

Thank you! :) It *is* short notice! But even if we didn't get one single FP or ADR :-)::ahem::: so far, not too shabby on the FPs, no problem with ADRs, and we are doing our first-ever AH event) I don't care because we will be at Disney World! Yay! :) Seriously, if we for some reason we couldn't get into the theme parks at all, I would still be happy... I just love hanging around the Resort, and shopping/dining/hanging out at Disney Springs!

I am so happy to hear that. I was just thinking about asking how you and your FIL were both doing. It's been good to have you back on the boards recently. I fell and broke my collarbone last February. It was painful (especially trying to get up from a chair or toilet), but yours was so much worse.

I have fallen so many, many times in the past 2 years that it is crazy. Once at the doctor's where I split a lip and had to get 7 stitches in my lip. But other than that and the broken collarbone I fortunately have not been injured (except my pride). I'm getting an Apple watch 4 for Christmas which has a fall alert and can make a phone call.

We are taking a break from WDW (had to pay for the new van, chair, lift, etc.), but it gives me something to look forward to next year. Not sure whether we are going to go pre-Christmas or early January 2020. I love the Christmas decorations, but I have seen them many, many times.

I just enjoy being at WDW. It's not all about the rides for me anymore. We own at SSR which happens to be our favorite resort. Fortunately for us it's probably the least popular DVC resort so availability is usually pretty good. I love being able to roam around the resort and then over the Disney Springs.

May you have a most magical trip! Merry Christmas!

Thank you - you are the sweetest! :) I used to work for Apple, and our adult daughter still does, so when the Watch 4 came out, you can guess who got the first one at our house! It has given me a greater feeling of security, that's for sure! I hate it that you have to wait for 2020, but I do understand; If the hubs hadn't gotten a lovely bonus (and then given it to us for the trip) I would be in exactly your position of waiting. I love Jan/Feb trips because the weather tends to be pretty decent, the crowds are... still there, but less ?urgent? and since we are going right after the New Year when there are no festivals or holidays on the calendar, the locals are typically at home, recovering from the holidays LOL.

Awww. Yay! I'm so happy for you! Two weeks. Wow. I hope you DO still have time to make fastpass reservations and all that good stuff.

Thank you! :) So far, so good! I gave our daughter an idea of what I want to do the most on this trip, and I'm letting her handle all the FPs and ADRs while I work on other stuff - divide and conquer! I just can't wait to be back at Wilderness Lodge - I swear I can smell that Lobby from here! :)

Hi, mamabunny. I am so sorry. I didn't realize that you went through all of those issues this year. I am so happy that you can go to WDW and stay WL. I hope you have a wonderful time. I hope that you have sunny days nice nights.

The hubs (who has been my best boyfriend for the last 32 years) gifted our daughter and I with another "girls only" trip for Christmas - 10 days at the beautiful WL! He wanted to save it for Christmas morning, but was worried that we wouldn't be able to make any ADRs or FPs, so he "gave" it to us early!

Well, as some of you may remember, last January I had an accident, and broke multiple bones on the right side of my body. Literally shoulder to toes, I was a mess. We had to cancel our planned trip while I was still in the ER; we had been set to depart in just a few days. I was so upset that night, because in many ways, Disney is my respite. It's the place where I don't have pain, I don't have worries or concerns... I just have fun, and good food, and so many happy memories from the past, and so many still to make in the future!

So, 2018 started off rough - and then we had to cut our September WDW "make up" trip short and rush home when my FIL had a stroke. Since September, I have been taking care of my FIL (who we all affectionately call "Pops") while he recovers. Luckily, he's doing great, and has been pushing me to "finish" my September trip. I have worked so hard this year to push through rehab and make sure that everything healed properly, and while I still have some residual pain, I'm actually in a much better place than anyone - my family, my doctors, my physical therapist - thought I would be now, so I'm happy. And my FIL is doing so much better than anyone thought *he* would as well, which makes my heart very happy. He has been my dad since the day I married his oldest boy, more than 30 years ago, and when my own father died just a few years after we were married, he stepped up even more. I still miss my own dad every day, but I love Pops too, just like he was my own, and he treats me just like one of his own kids.

Obvs, I will try to take pictures and measurements of the room - although I understand from the folks over on the WL boards that the "hotel side" of the Lodge building will be undergoing renovation sometime starting in 2019. If WL is like most of the other renos we have seen at WDW, the HA rooms won't change location or amenities, although there is a *strong* rumor that we may lose the bunk beds. (I for one am glad, and will be happy to see 2Q HARIS rooms at WL!) One interesting fact about WL - when it was built, it was designed to be a Moderate, so the rooms are virtually identical in square footage to those at POR/POFQ! It has the smallest rooms of any Deluxe at WDW (the bathrooms are laid out differently, however, due to interior hallways and room doors)

So, 2 weeks, and I will again wake up in the morning to the sound of the boat horns as they come around to the docks at the Lodge. I will be able to sit outside, and look at the Otter Pond, and at night, we will go down to the lake to watch the EWP sail by, and drink adult beverages, and be very, very grateful that we are "home" again for a while!

mamabunny have a great trip and great time

Have a great trip - sounds like you've earned it!

Hi, mamabunny. I am so sorry. I didn't realize that you went through all of those issues this year. I am so happy that you can go to WDW and stay WL. I hope you have a wonderful time. I hope that you have sunny days nice nights.

Thank you all so much! :) With so many good wishes, I feel like I am sure to have a Magical trip! :)

Congratulations, Mamabunny! That's amazing!! i hope you have a wonderful trip. I too am sorry to hear about your difficulties this year. I hope you get a solid respite!! <3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter