Laura Spear

DisneyMom
Hi! We've booked the 14 day Panama Canal cruise FEB 2021 on the Wonder. We will have 3 teenagers ages 15, 16, and 17 (will turn 18 on day 3 of the cruise) Any advice for this age group on a longer voyage? I've read reviews and read that there are not a lot of kids on board. Will the teens still be entertained? This is only our 2nd DCL voyage we did the Fantasy in 2018 for 7 days and they loved it so much. I've also read that my daughter will be kicked out of Vibe as soon as she turned 18. I'm worried about what she will do, she's very young at heart and loves vibe so much. Any friendly advice would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

We did an 11 day with 15, 13, 13 year old teens and it was easy for them. Vibe was king for when we weren't on the ship. For your 18 year old, they'll be booted on their birthday (legal reasons) & I'm unsure as to the quality/quantity of activities for the 1820 group. I've seen some posters love it and others hate on it. Enjoy your PC Cruise!!

Hi! We've booked the 14 day Panama Canal cruise FEB 2021 on the Wonder. We will have 3 teenagers ages 15, 16, and 17 (will turn 18 on day 3 of the cruise) Any advice for this age group on a longer voyage? I've read reviews and read that there are not a lot of kids on board. Will the teens still be entertained? This is only our 2nd DCL voyage we did the Fantasy in 2018 for 7 days and they loved it so much. I've also read that my daughter will be kicked out of Vibe as soon as she turned 18. I'm worried about what she will do, she's very young at heart and loves vibe so much. Any friendly advice would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Have you joined your cruise group on that other site? I would highly recommend doing so and finding out if anyone else is travelling that are the same age.

My best advice for your 17 year old is to go to Vibe on the first two days and make plans with the teens she meets to get together on subsequent days in other places on the ship (e.g., pool deck, lounges during the day, sports deck) where they will all be allowed.

She can also see where the 18-20 group is meeting on the first couple of days. If they're in an adult area, she won't be able to join in until she is actually 18, but if they are meeting in an area open to all, she can go to the meeting so she has input into plans for the rest of the cruise.

My son made several friends in the 18-20 group on our recent Med cruise, and hung out with the group at both official and unofficial events all week. There may not be many people in the group, but all it takes is a few to have a good time together.

There are also plenty of shows and family events that your kids can enjoy together throughout the cruise.

Once your DD is 18, she'll be able to do any of the adult only things. My oldest was 18 on our last cruise (8/18 on the Magic on the Baltic sea cruise)--while she went to some of the 1820 Club events, she never really clicked with anyone in the group, but she did like the CM running the group. What my DD DID enjoy was a bunch of the adult only things--the 'anyone can cook' classes, napkin folding, adult only drawing classes, going to the adult only shows in Fathoms with us, etc. Your oldest can do any of the clubs during open house with her siblings if she wants, go to movies with them, family activities, etc. From what I've read, the Panama canal cruises will have adult only nights in the kids' clubs--so while she wont' be able to go with her siblings, she might enjoy those activities...sounds like they have adults do kid crafts like making Flubber, etc.

My kids are 19, 19 (twins), 18 and 15. We just got off the Galveston to San Juan cruise. The older 3 tried 1820. My sons (19) didn't like it and did their own thing. My daughter (18) found a friend and they hung out together a lot. My youngest (15) was in Vibe constantly.

We've had mixed experiences with Vibe, as it feels like some of the counselors cater to the "popular" kids sometimes. But it's what you make of it, so encourage them to try it!

I agree with getting to know about others on your cruise beforehand. See the Cruise Meets thread on Disboards or, as mentioned, that "other" web site. I know mine would have loved it at that age! What a wonderful opportunity for your kids to learn about the Panama Canal, the building of it, the politics surrounding it, etc. Maybe you can prep them with some books, have them take photos with their phones and tell them they can make a photo book (Snapfish, etc.). That might keep them occupied if they are inclined to be bored.

I wouldn't worry about there not being teens onboard. We've done two Transatlantic cruises in the last May 2018 and Sept 2019 and there were 40+ kids in the Vibe. The cruise you are on overlaps with early Spring breaks I don't think there will be a lack of kids. As far as the 18-year-old I have no advice. I haven't crossed that bridge yet, but I'm getting close.

We're booked on that itinerary! The kids should have no problem making friends, but the oldest might run into some issues once he's restricted from Vibe. But there are still plenty of things that happen on the sea days for sure, classes, games, trivia, plus there's the Buena Vista Theater for movies all day long. There is a cruise group on another site that we're a part of, that might be worth finding if you want to try to find out other pax on board with other teens! Good Luck and we'll see you on board!

Have you joined your cruise group on that other site? I would highly recommend doing so and finding out if anyone else is travelling that are the same age.
Thank you! We joined the FE group for our cruise. Haven’t found any other groups yet

We're booked on that itinerary! The kids should have no problem making friends, but the oldest might run into some issues once he's restricted from Vibe. But there are still plenty of things that happen on the sea days for sure, classes, games, trivia, plus there's the Buena Vista Theater for movies all day long. There is a cruise group on another site that we're a part of, that might be worth finding if you want to try to find out other pax on board with other teens! Good Luck and we'll see you on board!

Sounds great I will try to locate the other group as well. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter