13.1 You Wish Upon A Star...a Tink Race and Mother's Day Trip Report! (complete)

I am IN!! So glad you're doing a trip report!

That pic of Roxykiddo is literally one of the cutest things I've ever seen!

Looks like a good start, straight forward travel day and I do love a good Earl of Sandwich! Stick with the long winded, I love a good detailed TR!

@RachelDoesDisney this is another one for you, not the subtle hint that we need to a Disneyland rundisney event haha Also we may bump into @roxymama at Ohana on our trip!

Rambling trip reports are the BEST trip reports. The more detail the better as far as I'm concerned.

Yay for smooth travels and I love seeing Roxykiddo serving as baggage handler. :D The hotel looks nice! Love the remodel for sure. And, I'm jealous of your proximity to the parks. Like I mentioned in my report, if we go back at some point, I will definitely choose a closer hotel. Loving your outfits too!

BEST DAY EVER!

roxykiddo looks super sassy in that picture! I'm digging it.

And look at that ROOM! It's pretty! Way better than the website picture...

roxykiddo is very sassy always :) The room was for sure a pleasant surprise!!

Loving your ramblings, keep them up!!!

Chuckled at the Disney vlog food decisions - I do the same thing! Quite a few podcast ideas too. Each visit to DLR I'll have something new for the family to try.

Looking forward to the rest of the report especially the race - I clearly remember my first half 16 odd years ago, had no idea how hard it was going to be. That feeling at the end almost can't be beat.

Ramble On!

There were so many youtube watched food items I thought I wanted until I got there and realized I only own one stomach. So of course I'm gonna need to go back to finish my snackquest.

Reading along! Glad you had an easy travel day over to John Wayne and your room was ready!

My hubby flew home the night before we left for work and got really delayed due to east coast weather, so I was relieved that all the flights were relatively on time. I forgot to mention in my report that my flight was full but somehow no one sat in the middle seat! That never is my luck. I was drinking tons of water so grabbed the aisle so that I could get up 100 times to go to the bathroom (TMI)

I am IN!! So glad you're doing a trip report!

That pic of Roxykiddo is literally one of the cutest things I've ever seen!

Looks like a good start, straight forward travel day and I do love a good Earl of Sandwich! Stick with the long winded, I love a good detailed TR!

@RachelDoesDisney this is another one for you, not the subtle hint that we need to a Disneyland rundisney event haha Also we may bump into @roxymama at Ohana on our trip!

I can't believe you and Rachel haven't done a California race yet...I guess that's quite the trek though for you. Are you doing the W&D 5k? If so, I'll probably try to get a pic with you all since you're now youtube famous (well, famous to me!)

Yay, trip report! Looking forward to reading about your first half marathon!

Me too... :)

Ramble on, loving this report so far! (Also, now I have Led Zeppelin's "Ramble On" stuck in my head...)

Rambling is my specialty.

Rambling trip reports are the BEST trip reports. The more detail the better as far as I'm concerned.

Yay for smooth travels and I love seeing Roxykiddo serving as baggage handler. :D The hotel looks nice! Love the remodel for sure. And, I'm jealous of your proximity to the parks. Like I mentioned in my report, if we go back at some point, I will definitely choose a closer hotel. Loving your outfits too!

As soon as we got home roxykiddo basically dove for my suitcase to hunt for treasures. She's big into going on adventures. I think she'll be ready for her surprise October trip later this year. Maybe it's time to start hunting for a tiny rolling suitcase for her??? #reasontoshop

I can't believe you and Rachel haven't done a California race yet...I guess that's quite the trek though for you. Are you doing the W&D 5k? If so, I'll probably try to get a pic with you all since you're now youtube famous (well, famous to me!)

We've never been to Disneyland California!! I would love to go next year but we have our first Disney Cruise so I don't think it'll be possible! It's 100% on our list though!

Yes we are doing the 5K! We can also sign an autograph if you like?? hahaha :rotfl:

A pic sounds good! We can even get you in the vlog!

Yay! So excited you are doing a TR! Great start - love your DD. There was a lot of confusion in our house too about WDW and DL and Florida, etc :)

I am in and excited to read more about your weekend. So happy your mom was able to make the trip (mine did too - YAY!) for an extra special Mother's Day.

Thanks for taking the time to write this report!

I agree with others- no such thing as rambling in a TR. The more the better! :)

I am trying to come up with Auntie Bean's name and Jean is the only thing I can think of that rhymes..

Your hotel sounds like the perfect little place- close to the parks, updated, and coffee available!

Excited to read about your expo experience!

Yay! So excited you are doing a TR! Great start - love your DD. There was a lot of confusion in our house too about WDW and DL and Florida, etc :)

yeah, kiddo would have been gutted if I went to disneyworld without her...which technically I didn't #momguilt

I am in and excited to read more about your weekend. So happy your mom was able to make the trip (mine did too - YAY!) for an extra special Mother's Day.

Thanks for taking the time to write this report!

Oh, I am glad to hear that. I will be thinking happy thoughts for your family for her health.

I agree with others- no such thing as rambling in a TR. The more the better! :)

I am trying to come up with Auntie Bean's name and Jean is the only thing I can think of that rhymes..

Your hotel sounds like the perfect little place- close to the parks, updated, and coffee available!

Excited to read about your expo experience!

Close...not Jean...it rhymes with it :)

Ok Expo coming up.

"Oh, I am glad to hear that. I will be thinking happy thoughts for your family for her health."

Thank you. And I am doing the same for you and your family. Looking forward to more of your report.

Expo Take One
Disneyland-Hotel-facade-e1485630025558.png

Since we were already so close to the end of Downtown Disney we decided going to the Expo now was a good idea. It had already been open the previous day and since noon today so the hope was we would beat the initial merchandise madness rush. I didn't know what to expect in terms of crowds since my only experience with rundisney expos was 2016 WDW weekend at the 5k booths that weren't even in the main expo halls. So literally this was my first real rundisney expo experience (I am a veteran of regular race expos though.)
I was worried that this part would be boring or annoying for my mom and sis but they seemed okay in tagging along with me, so off we went. Leaving DTD is easy because you just walk right on through...it was annoying-ish that we'd have to come back through security again to go back into DTD after the expo but it is what it is.

So we went in to the DL hotel area through the path past the hotel pool (I mentally remembered the Trader Sam sign for our disboard meetup on Sat.) I wish I had made it back to this area at night to see it all lit up, but our trip was just too short and my legs were just too tired. Next time. It took us a few wrong turns to find our way to roughly where we were supposed to be. But still managed to miss the elevators and decided to brave the ramps down to packet pickup. My mama is not a big person, but I am not used to rolling a wheelchair down a steep ramp and so I did what any sane person would do...I jogged slowly-ish with the chair down the ramp quietly yelling "wheeeeeeee" I didn't have enough arm strength to try to go too slow so that's what happened...sorry to all the people visibly judging me. At least I knew there was no way I was going up that ramp afterwards.
I was sad there was no fairy decorations yet...since I'd seen them on the ramp in pics from last year. Did I miss them?

See pic from someone from last year...ours was same with blank walls.
tink0516_02.jpg

I realize that when I was on chair duty my pictures are lacking, but when Bean was pushing I have a lot of pics. So I don't have many from the actual booths. Bean went to her spectator viewing party booth to get her bag of stuff. We were a little underwhelmed that all she got was some mickey race clappers (no other fun stuff?) but at least the actual espn party and race viewing made up for that later. The staff had NO IDEA where the viewing for the race would be and it wasn't until she found a small piece of paper showing it later that she'd be situated inside Disneyland at mile 1.3 which we later decided was probably on main street. So that turned frustration into excitement!
tr4.jpg

I had a monumental occassion in my running career. At expos they tend to line up Bibs by either last name or by bib #. At this race it was by bib # and the smaller the bib # the faster your proof of time/expected finish time was. So let me tell you how swaggy I felt to walk up to the very first booth with #1-1001 (or something like that), feeling all fast and cool, like some kind of running rockstar. (Yeah, no one else in the building saw or cared...but it was my moment.) The lady asked for my waiver and ID which I was already like forcing at her because I was so excited and then I got this beauty...

tr8.jpg
And now y'all know my name.

And I pre-ordered a whole bunch of merch site unseen to avoid lines so thank goodness it was all super cute and that my jacket fit perfectly. Phew...that was a relief. The line to pick it up was a bit longer than I anticipated but in actuality only like a 10 min wait. Looked worse than it was, probably since no one was exchanging money.
I love mint green and this logo...Gonna pin this on my medal's neck strap.
tr6.jpg
And this fun wristlet!
tr10.jpg
The color was both soft and vibrant at the same time...it was just perfect for me. It hides in my giant Kate Spade work purse and then I pull it out now when going to the park on walks with my kiddo at home. I basically love it...even though it's not super big.
tr7.jpg
Tink got a little bit Dooney logo covered but I don't mind since the rest is pretty good placement.

And then my FAVORITE souvenear from the whole weekend (other than my medal of course) was this jacket. Yes, this is a screenshot of Ariel taunting me with this pic...but don't worry I have lots of pics wearing it as this TR progresses. I was nervous that I ordered a large not knowing what kind of "women's cut" it would be but was relieved that it wasn't too tight or big...success!
tr12.png

Ok so the actual vendor booths we didn't really do much looking around. And we didn't go into the official merchandise at all. I felt bad that I'd already dragged my family around without any park time yet and the lines were still kind of insane for merch. So I grabbed my official t-shirt which was cuter in person than in the sneak peak pics I'd seen online and grabbed a few silly shots before we headed back to DTD. But with plans to go back to the expo on Saturday after our disboard meetup. Oh and my mom picked out her iconic minnie mouse hat in the hotel gift shop as well at some point during all of this.

HOOK IS BACK!
tr13.jpg
Oh good, this guy will keep me safe.
tr14.jpg

Ok, so next up will be our first adventures inside a park. See you real soon.

Love your Dooney wristlet. I have the one I bought for our first Goofy run and, while not all that practical because of the size, I still adore it!!

That jacket is really great too. I sort of wish I'd gotten one now, but I can just envy yours in pictures. :D

Expo Take One
Disneyland-Hotel-facade-e1485630025558.png

Since we were already so close to the end of Downtown Disney we decided going to the Expo now was a good idea. It had already been open the previous day and since noon today so the hope was we would beat the initial merchandise madness rush. I didn't know what to expect in terms of crowds since my only experience with rundisney expos was 2016 WDW weekend at the 5k booths that weren't even in the main expo halls. So literally this was my first real rundisney expo experience (I am a veteran of regular race expos though.)
I was worried that this part would be boring or annoying for my mom and sis but they seemed okay in tagging along with me, so off we went. Leaving DTD is easy because you just walk right on through...it was annoying-ish that we'd have to come back through security again to go back into DTD after the expo but it is what it is.

So we went in to the DL hotel area through the path past the hotel pool (I mentally remembered the Trader Sam sign for our disboard meetup on Sat.) I wish I had made it back to this area at night to see it all lit up, but our trip was just too short and my legs were just too tired. Next time. It took us a few wrong turns to find our way to roughly where we were supposed to be. But still managed to miss the elevators and decided to brave the ramps down to packet pickup. My mama is not a big person, but I am not used to rolling a wheelchair down a steep ramp and so I did what any sane person would do...I jogged slowly-ish with the chair down the ramp quietly yelling "wheeeeeeee" I didn't have enough arm strength to try to go too slow so that's what happened...sorry to all the people visibly judging me. At least I knew there was no way I was going up that ramp afterwards.
I was sad there was no fairy decorations yet...since I'd seen them on the ramp in pics from last year. Did I miss them?

See pic from someone from last year...ours was same with blank walls.
tink0516_02.jpg

I realize that when I was on chair duty my pictures are lacking, but when Bean was pushing I have a lot of pics. So I don't have many from the actual booths. Bean went to her spectator viewing party booth to get her bag of stuff. We were a little underwhelmed that all she got was some mickey race clappers (no other fun stuff?) but at least the actual espn party and race viewing made up for that later. The staff had NO IDEA where the viewing for the race would be and it wasn't until she found a small piece of paper showing it later that she'd be situated inside Disneyland at mile 1.3 which we later decided was probably on main street. So that turned frustration into excitement!
View attachment 238007

I had a monumental occassion in my running career. At expos they tend to line up Bibs by either last name or by bib #. At this race it was by bib # and the smaller the bib # the faster your proof of time/expected finish time was. So let me tell you how swaggy I felt to walk up to the very first booth with #1-1001 (or something like that), feeling all fast and cool, like some kind of running rockstar. (Yeah, no one else in the building saw or cared...but it was my moment.) The lady asked for my waiver and ID which I was already like forcing at her because I was so excited and then I got this beauty...

View attachment 238011
And now y'all know my name.

And I pre-ordered a whole bunch of merch site unseen to avoid lines so thank goodness it was all super cute and that my jacket fit perfectly. Phew...that was a relief. The line to pick it up was a bit longer than I anticipated but in actuality only like a 10 min wait. Looked worse than it was, probably since no one was exchanging money.
I love mint green and this logo...Gonna pin this on my medal's neck strap.
View attachment 238012
And this fun wristlet!
View attachment 238015
The color was both soft and vibrant at the same time...it was just perfect for me. It hides in my giant Kate Spade work purse and then I pull it out now when going to the park on walks with my kiddo at home. I basically love it...even though it's not super big.
View attachment 238013
Tink got a little bit Dooney logo covered but I don't mind since the rest is pretty good placement.

And then my FAVORITE souvenear from the whole weekend (other than my medal of course) was this jacket. Yes, this is a screenshot of Ariel taunting me with this pic...but don't worry I have lots of pics wearing it as this TR progresses. I was nervous that I ordered a large not knowing what kind of "women's cut" it would be but was relieved that it wasn't too tight or big...success!
View attachment 238017

Ok so the actual vendor booths we didn't really do much looking around. And we didn't go into the official merchandise at all. I felt bad that I'd already dragged my family around without any park time yet and the lines were still kind of insane for merch. So I grabbed my official t-shirt which was cuter in person than in the sneak peak pics I'd seen online and grabbed a few silly shots before we headed back to DTD. But with plans to go back to the expo on Saturday after our disboard meetup. Oh and my mom picked out her iconic minnie mouse hat in the hotel gift shop as well at some point during all of this.

HOOK IS BACK!
View attachment 238018
Oh good, this guy will keep me safe.
View attachment 238019

Ok, so next up will be our first adventures inside a park. See you real soon.

I got kinda overwhelmed in the race Expo - it was way more hustle bustle busy than I expected and I was kinda disappointed about the ChEAR squad stuff until we left the expo and I dug around in my bag more. Here is a cool picture of all the medals and Roxymama posing in front of one of the backdrops in the expo. I'm glad
she got to go back and shop at the expo later.

Attachments

• IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5435.JPG
    IMG_5435.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 27
I got kinda overwhelmed in the race Expo - it was way more hustle bustle busy than I expected and I was kinda disappointed about the ChEAR squad stuff until we left the expo and I dug around in my bag more. Here is a cool picture of all the medals and Roxymama posing in front of one of the backdrops in the expo. I'm glad
she got to go back and shop at the expo later.

Thanks for adding pics, sis. And yeah, sorry that the lines at the expo were a bit nuttier than expected. I bet they were real crazy the previous day. That or we just hit the "local lunch crowd."

I am here for the RoxyMama TR!!!!

Looks like a great time so far. Nice haul from the expo! I am a sucker for the Jackets.

I should have posted in the rumors thread that there was a rumor I started my TR. Yeah, I'm pretty cheapo with most clothes but when it comes to running jackets I just start hurling my credit card at people.

Love your Dooney wristlet. I have the one I bought for our first Goofy run and, while not all that practical because of the size, I still adore it!!

That jacket is really great too. I sort of wish I'd gotten one now, but I can just envy yours in pictures. :D

This Tink wristlet is what finally convinced me that I don't need a thousand useless keys on my keyring, since I couldn't like fit it in there with my phone and other stuff. So now that I took off what I don't need on there it's quite nice for walking around.

View attachment 238017
But is it really taunting you if you *asked* for the picture?! :teeth:
HAVE TO SAVE MAGGY, HAVE TO SAVE JACK

I saw someone dresssed as Rufio during one of the races, and it was everything.

Okay, roxykiddo is adorable. Seriously. California is on Mars. I can't even.

That hotel room is cool ... I like the decor! Definitely better than your standard boring decor. Palm trees make everything better.

I'm farily certain that jogging down ramps yelling "wheeeeee" is the correct way to push a wheelchair. Definitely sounds right. No judgement should have been occuring. (Side note - did you know that not all ramps are considered wheelchair-accessible? The ADA has certain rules about the angle of the ramp (and possibly also the ramp, I don't remember, it's been a few years since I last read that part of the ADA), and some ramps that were built pre-ADA don't fit those standards)

Nice 3-digit bib number! But why does it say "Bridget"? Shouldn't it say "roxymama"? Who is this "Bridget"? (and I actually already knew your name ... probably from tracking/stalking some of your other races)

That Dooney is super cute! And I like the placement a lot - two full (or at least mostly full) Tinks right at the bottom of the front! The jacket is awesome too.

Also ... @AuntieBean - do you always make the most hysterical faces in pictures? Or is it just something about arrival day? Every time I see you in a picture, I crack up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter