12/12 Transportation segment was awesome

jfk4

Mouseketeer
I always enjoy the podcasts, but I have to say that I found this week's segment on Disney Transportation particularly fascinating. I'm kind of a nerd (I have a degree in computer science if that tells you anything), and I love learning more about how Disney operates. Tommy's descriptions of the operating protocols for the monorails and water craft were very informative, and Pete did a great job guiding the conversation.

Thanks as always for all of your work.

Thanks, I'm glad u enjoyed it! The inner workings of Disney give a while new level of understanding and I'm all about sharing that. Thanks to Pete for asking me to do a segment about it!

I loved it too! I love inside stuff like that and after listening it made some of the things that happened to us on the monorail last week make total sense.. we had never stopped so often on the beam in other trips as we did on this one, and now I know why we did!

Plus you answered the question my daughter and I had all week...how many buses are there? And explains why we only had one driver who actually talked to the bus (her pa system was down) and that those guys at the bus stops in the morning were supposed to be there for more then just playing Disney trivia. Personally I think those bus monitors are one of the best ideas Disney has had in a long time. Even just having someone saying "If you are waiting for the Magic Kingdom bus it's only about five minutes out" makes a huge difference in the morning.

Well done!

Me too! I really enjoyed the segment. I've always stayed offsite and figured I would end up fast forwarding through most of it, but instead I learned a few things, and the time just flew by. (that's a good thing since I listen while at work!) I even told DH all about when he came home. It was well done.

I did too! Honestly when I heard it was going to a segment about transportation I thought it was going to just be about how to get from here to there around WDW. I'm glad I was wrong! It was really interesting. I like hearing about behind the scenes stuff.

I have a theory about the Epcot resort Friendship boat system.

I believe they reverse the order because the boats that run between Epcot and the Studios would still need to pick up and drop off passengers going between the two parks.

Epcot - Boardwalk - Yacht/Beach - Swolphin - Studios

becomes...

Studios - Swolphin - Yacht/Beach - Boardwalk - Epcot.

It seems like efficiency to mirror the pickup/dropoff routes.

I loved this segment also. I found it absolutely fascinating and would welcome more segments in this vein.

I have a theory about the Epcot resort Friendship boat system.

I believe they reverse the order because the boats that run between Epcot and the Studios would still need to pick up and drop off passengers going between the two parks.

Epcot - Boardwalk - Yacht/Beach - Swolphin - Studios

becomes...

Studios - Swolphin - Yacht/Beach - Boardwalk - Epcot.

It seems like efficiency to mirror the pickup/dropoff routes.

aahh that makes sense then.

Loved the segment! Thank you so much for the interesting info. Looking forward to more. :)

I enjoyed this segment too and felt like I learned so much! Keep up the great work with these extra "insider" specials. Great job, Thommy :D
-Kim

I loved it too Thommy! Thanks for taking the time to put the segment together - you and Pete worked very well together and the segment was excellent - so informative! The details were fantastic. It was like an insider's look into the magic. Based on how well received this segment was, I think you should start a new segment called Undercover Disney ;)

you're all too kind :thumbsup2

I have a few ideas for more and I really enjoyed this one, actually probably more than any other segment. One of the things I always try to do in life is look at things from the other point of view. I might be very upset that my CC is blocked, but it's not the fault of the person who is responsible for helping me get it unblocked on the phone. I might be annoyed that a telemarketer calls me at 8:59pm, when I have to get up the next morning, but it is not that person's fault and they are allowed to legally do so until 9pm.

Anyway, point being I love giving that inside information. That really was enjoyable and there's oh so much more that can be covered!

Absolutely fascinating! I love this info-I'm always so curious and want the inside scoop on everything. Bring us more! :)

I loved this insider info also! It looks like we all like to know "how things work" at WDW. If this were a regular segment, I would definitely listen! Like "how the trash works" or "how the water works" at each park. Would this be possible? Some of these things we learn on backstage tours so potentially they could spoil the magic for some ... But a little tidbit to whet our appetites would be so cool! Like there are X number of lightening rods in the MK, etc. :thumbsup2 Maybe call it the "WDW Geek Session"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!