11,10,9,8 Is not Enough..A January 2021 Boardwalk stay

sheri18

DIS Veteran
Hi all, we just got back from our January (during Covid) trip. This trip was a blast at times, a little sad at times, but overall a great time.

let me introduce my cast of characters:

21F88857-44E2-4830-BB46-2DF420602021.jpeg

this is me aka: VoVo (which is Portuguese for grandmother) and my husband aka PaPa..

This was one trip we were not sure if we should or could take...like everyone...we went back and forth. Is it safe to go...are we making a mistake..so many reasons not to go..and so many to go..

we started off at 11 people going..hence my title...stay tuned to find out..who went and who didn’t.

Reactions: DLo
713E0ECA-9178-4312-9782-FA85AC488C7D.jpeg

Here is my family...me, DH, my 3 sons and my 7 grandkids....this was from Father’s Day 2020.....where this trip started to get planned.

DS1 and DIL1 are DVC members so while we were hanging around chit chatting he said...now that Disney has reopened we should plan to go...by January this pandemic should be calmed down..little did we know...

FBF8E8E7-1308-4649-AD21-D0A3AEE9DBBF.jpeg

This is DS1 and his family..the recently moved into a new home about 20-25 minutes from us..which fo me is to far...since the lived less than 5 minutes away...but a bigger house and better school district comes first.

Sadly DS3 and family said from the get go that they did not want to join....between Covid-19 and 2 little ones..had no interest..we tried to say. The littlest is under 2..she is free..but alas still a firm no..
1B3F2767-BA81-481C-8349-586179CFA3AE.jpeg

maybe my title should have been.....15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8 is not enough

a little back story...like back story..if you all do not mind..

like us all this has been a very difficult time...we were in Disney last February right before things got crazy..so we were glad we got that trip in..we were thinking of going again in May or June as we bought AP. But the shut down came....our normal was no longer.

for me I still had work...I own a little Portuguese Market that my dad started in 1954...during the firsts months of lockdown I like many of us did not see him..
with me working the store did not want to get him sick...

so I will say one of the reasons (like we need reasons) to go on this trip was we just needed some joy...
as I said like everyone it’s been a trying year..
in May we lost my dad...now it wasn’t due to Covid-19, but because of that I hadn’t seen him in months.
not being able to see him or have a proper funeral was hard on all of us...especially DS1 who was ex close wit his grandfather.

I still continued to open our store and we only closed on the day of burial.
being in a smallish town and having been in business for 65+ years this was a loss for our whole community.

as a tribute to my dad we drove by his store and paused for a moment...it was extremely sad but fitting..his life was this store..and mine full time for the last 30 years...sadly in August other family members decided to sell..so I was without my dad or my job...
I needed this trip more than ever..

8047D8A7-93C1-4EB9-904A-BA1493D87193.jpeg

So DS1 booked our trip...January 9-16 at the Boardwalk
a 2 bedroom for him, a studio for me and DH (if he comes) and a 1 Bedroom for DS2-DIL2 and Grandson1

the planning begins..well a little planning, mostly where to eat..not worrying about fast passes was nice...

so now something to look forward too...

surely in 6 months this will be better.....

so hotel set...DS1, and DIL1 and I have AP’s so the others all need tickets...

4D5F599C-36E3-4164-98C8-9B8E888E7E68.jpeg

Now we just have to get past the next few months and to our happy place we will go.

we finally booked our airfare with JetBlue direct from Boston to Orlando for 106.00 each round trip...that will never happen again....
sadly D decided to not come (for the 3rd year in a row) but this time I did not book his airfare...learned my lessson.,..been there done that..
he is undergoing IVIG treatments and with his comprised immune system not a good idea to go..

F8CBBC20-E1DB-4913-9225-3866476D4F36.jpeg

so now we are 10...or are we...stay tuned...

time sure flies..almost Christmas...in the mist of all this in November my DIL her mother, sister and 2 of my grandkids got Covid...thank God none of them to seriously. But still very scary. Now making us think should we still go...are we putting us at risk.

then DIL points out how she got it while taking all precautions and as much care as we can, so does going pose anymore risk than say grocery shopping, Home Depot ect...so we decide to continue with our trip.

do or did any of you get flak from relatives, friends about going? Its a personal choice but we did get lots of feedback...

so back to Christmas ..everyone gets Disney gift cards..if you are not going that year. They can save them..great gift. Easy shopping..

Attachments

• B7C855D9-CCAC-4477-A966-C7EC27B5BFE0.jpeg
    B7C855D9-CCAC-4477-A966-C7EC27B5BFE0.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 21
36EC446C-286B-4101-8AFB-EC0107D4B55F.jpeg

GD1 and GD2...this was was last year February 2020
it absolutely breaks my heart 💜 but they will don’t be joining us on this trip....this is how we got to 8 ..and 8 is not enough..

their mother would not let them come with us, we are all so upset...do we all not go...but to lose our airfare (my son lost out on their 2 flights) and the hotel ect...and how do we tell the other 3 kids we can’t go now..

so the decision was made..as sad as this is the rest of us will go...my poor son and their little sister and brother are so upset. My other GS who is 11 and loves his cousins is so upset too..they love being together..

I guess I do not understand how someone can use their kids to hurt the other...sad sad sad..36EC446C-286B-4101-8AFB-EC0107D4B55F.jpeg

since the girls weren’t coming now, my son canceled the studio for me and I would now stay with them in the 2 bedroom lock off..so now the 8 of us are set to go..
1/9 which is also DS1 birthday ...

we decided to get a car service to airport for the 5 of us..our flight was early so getting picked up at 5:45 am
and that my DH did not have to drive us. DS2 got a ride and we would meet at the airport.

4D32AF99-89DE-4CCC-A27A-5A1EE8E6D678.jpeg

got to the airport plenty of time till our flight. Airport was busier than I thought it would be. I like that they start seating from the back...makes it easier to get into seats.
and loved to hear gate person say the good news is:
the plane is here..we can board early and leave early....
the bad news is no tv’s....what are you kidding me..with 3 kids...no tv...ugh....
DS1 upgraded all our seats to more leg room..but we had an older plane. I really didn’t see much difference..so we board and off we go...next stop the happiest place on earth...

I thought we might have issues with GD4 wearing her mask. She just turned 3 and really hasn’t gone anywhere that she has to wear a mask...so basically this is her first time...she did great on the plane and the whole trip...kids adapt so easy...we could learn..
the 2 GS wear them at school so they had no issues.

the plane landed early and off we went to the fake monorail...I took this pic when we were at ME line...I really wanted to take a magic band pic with us all...well that didn’t happen...EA6EAAE2-3130-4CAA-83BB-6BADA2BD5426.jpeg

we got on the bus at 12:19....left at 12:25. Not bad.........
drive was quick...and we see

1B28B682-5FD8-4FDE-9CD3-543B4960B888.jpeg

now just to be transparent...there are some pics that I did not take..most are ..but there are some that did not come out or I just simply forgot to take..

and then this:

D8BDA8B0-DDF8-4031-B345-8C1DCD2BA3B7.jpeg

not sure why this pic came out sideways...but we are home...looks like it’s about 12:50

we check in at front desk..Danille was so nice. DS1 wanted a first floor room..easier with large stroller..just out of room and onto Boardwalk path...
all set...we leave all the luggage with bellhop...I wish I had taken a pic...with 8 of us a lot of luggage...off we go ......

DS1 made the park reservation for Epcot so off we go...I must say staying at BW or BC is so nice..the ease of being able to walk to two parks ...is great. so to the short walk we go...

5B6CC0DB-C05A-4700-AEB7-43BED838E658.jpeg
such a pretty view..

48E4763A-769C-425C-95AB-DC53DDEA2B5D.jpeg48E4763A-769C-425C-95AB-DC53DDEA2B5D.jpeg
03AA2610-4930-4319-9204-F028F31E3F43.jpeg03AA2610-4930-4319-9204-F028F31E3F43.jpeg

Temperature check. Fast and easy...through gateway...scanned magicbands...no bag check. So fast...no fingerprints...quick and easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter