10 Days of Vegetarian DDP!!

LErin26

Mouseketeer
Hey Everyone,
Thought I'd give my two cents on the vegetarian offerings at Walt Disney World. I traveled with my boyfriend, Marc, who is not veggie, and we stayed at POFQ.

Day 1-Jiko
We arrived mid afternoon and had dinner reservations for Jiko at 7pm. We arrived early to the AKL so we could walk around and see some animals and get a cocktail at the bar. I ordered the Hangin' Out in Cape Town and Marc ordered the Victoria Falls Mist. I liked his drink better, so we traded :goodvibes The Cape Town was too strong for me to enjoy. We checked in for our ADR and were given a pager. As soon as we sat down in the waiting area, the pager lit up.
I had looked at all the menus well in advance to make sure that each place would have something I could eat, so I already new what I was having. I started out with the Maize and Sweet Potato "Tamales" and Marc ordered the Kenyan Coffee Barbecued Chicken Flatbread. Both of these were delicious. I had small pieces of his flatbread that had no chicken on it. I had two tamales and they were great. I love sweet potato and goat cheese, so no complaints here.
For our main courses, I got the Grains, Peas, and Vegetables, and Marc had the Wood-Grilled Fillet Mingon. Marc said the fillet was cooked perfectly and that the sauce was very nice as well. I sampled the mac'n'cheese and it was delicious. I wasn't as impressed with my meal as I thought I would be. I expected more grains and peas, but it was more undercooked veggies. It was an unbelievably huge portion though.
On to the best part: Dessert :Pinkbounc Both of our desserts were not on any menus online. Marc had an Apple Triffle type dessert and I had the flourless cake. My cake was awesome. It was more like a dense fudgy brownie, and the presentation was great. There were about 4-5 squares stacked on top of eachother with a skewer down through the top. I also had a bit of ice cream on the plate, but I can't recall the flavor. Marc like his more than mine and that was fine with me because I liked mine more than his. Chocolate is near and dear to my heart : )

Coming up we dine at Le Cellier, 50s Prime Time, Brown Derby, Victoria and Alberts, House of Blues, Kona Cafe, Boma, Wolfgang Puck Cafe, Coral Reef, California Grill, Captain Cooks, and the POFQ Food Court!! Stay Tuned :surfweb:

Day 2- Le Cellier
We had a late lunch (2:10pm) at Le Cellier and arrived a bit early to check in. We got a pager and waited outside, as the inside was quite full with others waiting to be seated.
When we are seated, we are in the PEI section. Our waitress was friendly and we told her that Marc would be on the DDP and that we'd pay for my meal OOP. To start, we both ordered a smoothie; Chocolate Raspberry for Marc, and the Mango for myself. The mango was ok, it was a little too strong of a mango flavor for me, but the chocolate raspberry was like dessert. We dug into the breadsticks which were great. I kept telling myself that I was carbo loading for my triathlon the next day...I liked the pretzle and sourdough the best. Marc ordered the Cheese Soup for his appetizer and said it was great. I was very jealous because of all the good reviews I've heard about it on the DIS, but refrained because of the bacon. Oh well.
Our entrees consisted of the Mixed Field Salad for myself and the 10 oz. New York Strip Steak for Marc. My salad was entree sized and had crumbled blue cheese, fried sweet potatoes, with pecan-shallot vinaigrette. It exceeded my expectations for only $6.99. Marc said his steak was cooked perfect and the potatoes were yummy too, I tasted them :thumbsup2
On to the dessert, I told Marc that we needed to get the Chocolate Whiskey Cake, so we did. It was so good. Moist, chocolaty, and a great way to end a great meal.

Day 2- House of Blues
Marc and I met a friend of mine and her boyfriend at Downtown Disney around 5:30pm. We didn't have any ADRs and Marc and I were still kinda full from our Le Cellier lunch. We settled on House of Blues. I liked the decor of the restaurant and our server was friendly and attentive. My friend had a chicken caesar and her boyfriend had some popcorn chicken type meal that came in a chinese takeout container. They said it was good, but nothing spectacular.
Marc and I shared two appetizers; the Feta cheese, roasted garlic, pesto and mozzarella cheese pizza and the Spinach and Artichoke Dip. The pizza was supposed to have baby spniach on it but it was omitted due to the FDA warnings. Both were standard pub fare and tasty.

Day 3-
Today was my triathlon, so we didn't have any ADRs for this day as I didn't know if I'd be up for a sit down meal. We opted for the POFQ foodcourt. I got the veggie sandwich, which was better than I thought it would be. It had marinated zucchini, peppers, squash, portobello, tomato and hummus on a bulky type roll. It came with homemade chips which were great as well. They were salty, but that's the way I like 'em! Marc had a chicken quesadilla but it was mediocre at best.
Dessert however is a different story. We told the cm when we payed that we were going to get our dessert after we eat and she made a note on our receipt. I wanted a handmade ice cream sandwhich! It was made with two large chocolate chip cookies and about 2, maybe 3 scoops of mint chocolate chip ice cream. This thing was mammoth. Marc's was oatmeal cookies with chocolate ice cream. I was very sad that I could only eat about half and Marc only managed about three quarters of it. I only wish we had eaten more of them :rolleyes:

Day 4 Lunch- 50s Prime Time
We had an early ADR for 50s so we skipped breakfast. We checked in early to escape the love bugs and grabbed a couch to watch some old tv clips. We waited about 10 minutes past our ADR to finally get to our table, that also had a tv. This was another restaurant where we decided to pay oop for my meal. To start I had the pb&j milk shake. I tasted more pb than j, but that was fine by me. Marc ordered the onion rings and we shared. Our waitress didn't come back for a while, so we didn't have any ketchup, but the horseradish sauce was good. I am not a fan of horseradish, so maybe it wasn't the real deal.
For my entree, I got the roasted pepper. I was nervous about this, because it seems to be a vegetarian cop out meal. Well, it turns out that it was one of my best meals. It had a faint smokey taste and the pepper was soft and the rice inside was delicious. Of course I pigged out on the onion rings and my milk shake, so I couldn't finish it.
Marc had the meatloaf and he cleared his plate, so I assume it was good. I think I remember him saying that the green beans were cooked exactly the way he likes them.
Well, we were both stuffed to the gills, but we couldn't pass up the s'mores. They were nice and hot but I could only get in about 3 bites before I thought I'd be ill. We shared them and still only ate about half. So sad, but so good.

Day 4 Dinner- Brown Derby
We checked in early and were given a pager. Waited about 15 minutes and then we were seated in a semi-circle booth in a corner. Our waiter came quickly and took our drink orders. We decided to get a bottle of wine so we perused the wine list. We both like pinot grigio so we ordered a bottle of that. Waiter came back with out the wine; they had run out. Ok, how about this Riesling? Waiter came back again with out the wine; they were out of that one too. He had brought a zinfendel with him, and poured me a sample but I didn't care for that. Finally were able to get a bottle of pinot gris. I can't say our waiter didn't try.
With that out of the way, we got our appetizers. I had the mesculun and arugula salad, which was standard and Marc had the Sake Laced Crab Cake. Now I don't know what he was thinking, but Marc thought it would be made with imitation crab :confused3 So, he took one bite, and moved things around on his plate to make it look as though he ate more of it. Anyway...
On to the main course. I was served the Thai Noodle Bowl with Coconut Crusted Tofu and Marc got the Char-grilled Filet Mignon. My dish was huge! The coconut crusted tofu was exactly how I imagined it would taste. I only wish they gave you more than one small 3x4 inch slice. The rest was glorified ramen noodles with snow peas and edamame which I enjoyed. Marc's fillet was good, but definetly not the same standard as the fillet at Jiko.
For dessert Marc got the Grapefruit cake, and I had the flourless chocolate cake, I think. Again not the same as the flourless chocolate cake at Jiko and the grapefruit cake was good, but not a must have.
Overall we were disappointed. We tried Jiko, Brown Derby, and California Grill on this trip and Brown Derby definetly does not merit 2TS. While service was average, the whole experience was a let down. This restaurant will not be on my list for next time.

MOre, More, More..... Great reviews! I love reading all the veggie reviews, I was worried I would be eating alot of onion rings and french fries on our upcoming trip.

Yay! Vegetarian reviews! :)

I was curious how the Jiko veggie entree was. I had considered making an ADR there, but we went to Boma instead. I think I made a good choice. I'll be interested in the rest of your reviews.

Day 5 Breakfast- Kona Cafe
I had heard much hoopla about the tonga toast at the Kona Cafe, so we had to give it a try. We were seated immediately and we ordered a pressed pot of Kona coffee. I'd say it made about 3 large cups of coffee. Marc ordered the Tonga Toast with bacon and I ordered the Pineapple Macadamia Nut pancakes. I asked Marc if he wanted my bacon or sausage, but the waiter overheard and said that I could have a fruit cup instead of the meat side. Super, why didn't I think of that? Our meals came quickly and were nice and hot. Our waiter forgot to bring syrup and seemed embarassed when I asked for some.
The pancakes were to die for. I think it was four plate sized pancakes with macadamia nuts mixed in. There was crushed pineapple on the top. I splurged and used some of the butter they throw on top and with the syrup I was in heaven. The fruit was good, but who has time for fruit when there's the food of the gods on your plate?
Marc's Tonga Toast was two thick pieces of bread with bananas in the middle. I think it was lightly battered and deep fried with a coating of sugar all over. The sugar was a little much, so he scrapped most of it off. The edges were nice and crispy and the inside was softer and oozed bananas. Also very good but I'll keep my pancakes, thank you very much.
Can't go wrong with this place for breakfast!

Day 5 Dinner- Victoria & Albert's
We had 9pm reservations for V&A and when I booked the dinner, I told the cm that I was vegetarian and that Marc did not eat mushrooms. The day of our dinner, they called to verify my "vegetarian" status so that the menu would be perfect. I told them that eggs, dairy, and cheese is fine, just no meats of anykind including seafood. The cm I spoke to didn't really seem to know what was going on and kept making akward scilences and "uummmm" noises, like what I was telling her would be a problem. I was a little unnerved by this, but everything was fine. When I got off the phone Marc asked if he would be served seafood and I said that there was a good possibility. He doesn't like seafood and after the crab cake incident at the Brown Derby, he called back but got a machine. He said that he doesn't do seafood and verified the no mushrooms.
Ok, so we arrive about 3 minutes late and are seated right away to a table in the middle of the restaurant. There were about three other couples there and two more came in after we were seated.
Our waitress came out and showed us our menus and went over each course with us. Marc's menu had a fish course on it, but he didn't say anything. I was a little upset by this, because he left a message at 5pm and you can't tell me they don't check their messages in 4 hours. Oh, well.
We decided to get the wine pairings, because this meal was going to cost a bundle already, so what's another $110, right? So glad we did.
We were first served an amuse buche with a glass of "Blue Top" champagne. Mine was some canteloup with some micro greens and Marc's was canteloup with ahi tuna. Needless to say he didn't eat it, but pushed it around on his plate. Mine was fine, it was gone in one bite, so I don't have much recolection of it.
My first course was Ohio Tomatoes with Costa Rican Hearts of Palm and Nicoise Olives. The tomatoes were tasty and the hearts of palm were tender. I don't do olives so they remained on the plate. Marc was served Long Island Duck with Crenshaw Melon, Grains of Paradise and Minus Eight Vinegar. He said that it was good. I wish I remember what the grains of paradise were though...Our wine for this course was a white. Marc's was a pinot gris and mine had a tremendously long name that I won't bore you with unless you really wanna know.
Mushroom Duxelle Pasta Roulade with a Truffled Egg and South Afircan Porcini Mushroom Sauce. Marc stayed very far from this plate. This was kinda a pile of the different mushrooms with the sauce and then an egg in an egg cup with the "truffled" part inside. The egg was interesting; soft smooth texture with a hint of mushroom flavor. Marc had the Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin on a Corn Cake and a Cherry Cider Reduction. Both of us were sereved a Chilean Red wine, Carmenere. I've never had good luck with reds, so I was pleasantly surprised when I enjoyed this one.
Next was Marc's fish course, so there's nothing to report there. It came with a Californian Chardonnay that was light and sweet. I had a delicious Butternut Squash Cream with Roasted Cippoline Onion Ragout. Our waitress said that this course is served with an ale and asked if that would be ok. I said of course and it was delicious. The soup thickly coated the spoon and was so comforting. The ale was made by Trappist Monks in Belguim. Marc said it was one of the best beers he's ever had, and I agree.
Now the main course. Our waiter and waitress came out together with our plates covered with a silver dome. The lifted the top in a dramatic, simultaneous fashion and explained what was before us. My plate had three seperate plates on it; an Artichoke Risotto, Vegetable en Croute, and an Olive Oil Potato Stuffed Squash Blossom "Tempura Style." The risotto was soft and creamy and the vegetables were cooked al dente. The squash blossom was the lightest tempura anything I'd ever had. Not overpowering at all. Of course by this time I was getting full, but I still had 2 more courses to go. Marc's entree was the Minnesota Elk with Rainbow Marble Potatoes and Veal Sweetbreads. Poor Marc didn't know what sweetbreads were, so I filled him in and he tossed it to the side. The elk was three or four medallions of meat and were tender. He hadn't eaten a lot of game, but said that this was very good as were the potatoes. This time we each had a glass of shiraz from Stellenbosch South Africa. Again, another red that I enjoyed.
We both opted for the cheese plate which consisted of a blue veined cheese, a sheeps milk cheese, and a soft cow's milk cheese. There were also champagne grapes, candied pecans, and an apple chutney on the plate. This course came with Heredias Special Reserve Ruby Porto. Too strong for my liking, but Marc took care of mine and his.
Finally, dessert. I chose the Grand Marnier Souffle and Marc the Pyramid of Tanzanian Chocolate Mousse. My souffle was very large and came with a grand marnier sauce our server poured over the top. So delicious, one of my favorite desserts of the trip. Marc's pyramid came with a large semi-circle cookie standing up on the plate with a picture of the castle on it. I thought the pyramid was more dense than a mousse and was very rich. There was even a dab of gold leaf on the top of the pyramid. At the end of the meal, our waiter presented me with a long-stemmed red rose and Marc with the bill!
All in all, this was a nice meal, but I it fell short of my expectations. Maybe I read too many reviews and had it built up in my mind, but it just wasn't what I thought it would be. The service was fine and the food was good, but I don't know if I think it was worth it. I felt bad that Marc wasn't able to eat the amuse buche and the fish course, but I admit he didn't give them a days notice or tell them when we got there. The wine pairings were superb and now I will try more reds and see if I can get the Belgium ale in my area!

Day 6- Boma
We had 9:10pm reservation for Boma, so we went over a little early and grabbed a beer at the bar. A Casa for Marc and a different one for me, but I don't recall what it was. We were very tired and the beer didn't sit well in my tummy for some reason. We checked in around 9pm and got a pager. This was our longest wait, which was about 20-25 minutes.
Finally we are seated and up at the buffet. I started with the cold salads; couscous, carrot and tangerine, and a lentil. The couscous was my favorite. I then went to the carrot ginger soup. So good and I wish I had some right now. Rich and creamy and the ginger wasn't overpowering. After that I hit the hot foods and got some potatoes with Afritude which were seasoned, quartered potatoes. They were average. Some mac 'n' cheese which was good. Coconut jasmine rice which I really liked and a cold potato and pasta salad that were average. I think if I was feeling better I would have enjoyed the food a little more. Marc and I shared a plate of the different hummus selections, too. He really liked the watermelon rind salad. To me this tasted like pickled ginger and I couldn't do it. He got two helpings of the bobootie! Some roast chicken and some Coconut Curried Chicken Soup.
For dessert, I told Marc about the zebra domes and how everyone raves about them. Well, we don't rave about them. They were good, but nothing exciting. I really liked the cherry crisp, flourless chocolate cake, and the milk tart. There were probably 10 different desserts to choose from.
Everytime we came back from the buffet our old plates would be gone and our drinks never ran dry. All in all, I would definetly go back as would Marc.

Day 7 Dinner- Wolfgang Puck Cafe
We had 8:30 reservations and arrived about 10 minutes early to check in. We got a pager and were told about 20 minutes so we walked accross the street to the POP gallery. By the time we got there our buzzer went off so we walked back over to the restaurant. We were seated in the middle near the dessert station. We decided to pay OOP here so only entrees for us. We were going to share, so both were veggie! Marc got the pumpkin ravioli as he is a pumpkin freak and I got the Four-Cheese Pizza.
We got some rosemary foccacia bread and olive oil to start. It wasn't the foccacia bread that I was used to. This one had more of a cakey texture. None the less I ate it and it was good.
Our entrees came out and were hot and yummy. The ravioli was soooo good. The pizza was slightly above average. After our plates were cleared it took about 20 minutes from the time our waitress to brought the bill and we payed it. Slowest service we encountered. We would definetly go back for the ravioli and some other enticing options on the menu.

Day 7 Dessert- Ghiradelli
We opted for a brownie sundae and a hot fudge sundae. I had a $1 off coupon and it still came to $13. We got a number for our table and found one across from the shop by the water. About 10 minutes later our sundaes arrive. Ice cream is ice cream, but I didn't think this stuff was the best. Marc's and mine were the same, his just had a brownie stuck in the top.

I'm loving your reviews! Sorry you were disappointed with V & A's, though. :guilty:

Thanks for the reviews! I'm vegetarian and DH is not, so the reviews were very helpful--plus we eat almost exclusively at the parks so it was good to see some resort and DTD restaurant reviews--we will have to start branching out a bit for our meals.

I can't help but think that mac-n-cheese is kid food, but it's always been one of my vegetarian fallbacks when nothing else is available or substantial enough, but... The macaroni and cheese I got for my son at Wolfgang Puck Express at Downtown Disney was probably the best I've ever had. Who knew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter